Thread: Another Role for Maybin

Another Role for Maybin

One of the big stories in the NFL this year has been the emergence of the TE as a primary recieving threat. The Pats have gone all in with this philosophy and many teams have followed suit. One of the most glaring weaknesses of the Jets D is the lack of a player to cover these unusually large and quick players. Aaron Maybin with his 6'4 225lb frame and speed has ideal measurables for this task. If he can cover at all we should look at utilizing him in that role. Thoughts?

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4261193]One of the big stories in the NFL this year has been the emergence of the TE as a primary recieving threat. The Pats have gone all in with this philosophy and many teams have followed suit. One of the most glaring weaknesses of the Jets D is the lack of a player to cover these unusually large and quick players. Aaron Maybin with his 6'4 225lb frame and speed has ideal measurables for this task. If he can cover at all we should look at utilizing him in that role. Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

He does not have the hips to do that.... While I like his rush speed. One of our OLBs has to be a traditional OLB and not a DE convert. We need one of our two to be able to cover either out of the backfield or some TEs

I don't think Maybin has much experience in covering people. He has nice straight line speed but considering his lack of moves as a pass rusher I doubt he has much of the fluid hip movement needed to be good in coverage.

I'd prefer to keep our best pass rusher rushing the passer anyway. It would be kind of (not to the same level) like wasting Revis as a blitzer.

Covering a tight end is something the Jets will work on with Maybin in the offseason.

If you are looking to expand the role of Maybin the rest of this season I think these are the two that would be perfect:

1. Spy coverage against a fast QB

2. Setting the edge against a running back who can turn it to the outside and break one for a big gain i.e. McFadden or Mccoy

Other than these two things keep Maybin in as a situational pass rusher. I do see improvement in some of his technique like the bull rush, but at the end of the day he still is a one move guy for the most part.

What I absolutely love is his motor. The guy plays hard every down. With that type of motor and speed Rex can definitely find ways to use him.

[QUOTE=Lord of War 599;4261200]Covering a tight end is something the Jets will work on with Maybin in the offseason.

If you are looking to expand the role of Maybin the rest of this season I think these are the two that would be perfect:

1. Spy coverage against a fast QB

2. Setting the edge against a running back who can turn it to the outside and break one for a big gain i.e. McFadden or Mccoy

Other than these two things keep Maybin in as a situational pass rusher. I do see improvement in some of his technique like the bull rush, but at the end of the day he still is a one move guy for the most part.

What I absolutely love is his motor. The guy plays hard every down. With that type of motor and speed Rex can definitely find ways to use him.[/QUOTE]

Your QB spy role is a good idea. Maybe he could have clobbered Tebow instead of Tebow clobbering us..

[QUOTE=Heynowguy;4261208]Your QB spy role is a good idea. Maybe he could have clobbered Tebow instead of Tebow clobbering us..[/QUOTE]

Tebow would have run over Maybin like a dump truck hitting a road cone.