Jets Insider VIP

McIntyre playing more for the Jets

Friday, December 2, 2011South Tahoe's McIntyre playing more for Jets
    By Joe Proudman
    [email]jproudman@tahoedailytribune.com[/email]

Copyright 2011 Tahoe Daily Tribune. . December, 2 2011 6:17 pm
    South Tahoe's McIntyre playing more for Jets
    Tahoe Daily Tribune
    Sometimes things just go your way. When that happens in the NFL, you have to make the most of it, and that's what South Tahoe's Garrett McIntyre is doing.

A depleted New York Jets linebacking core has given the former Viking and Fresno State Bulldog an opportunity on the Jets' starting defense, along with his customary special team duties.

“They gave me some opportunities a little bit against the Patriots, and they kept me in there,” McIntyre said in a phone interview with the Tribune. “To help out against the run mainly on first and second down.”

Against New England, McIntyre played about 10 snaps. The next week he started against the run oriented Denver Broncos, recording three tackles and nearly a sack, something he was kicking himself about even this week. He started his second game against the Buffalo Bills in an AFC East match that came down to the last minute. McIntyre said this is something he's been working towards for a long time.

“It feels great, it's something I've worked really hard for my entire career. As the season's gone a long I've felt I can compete on defense and they've given me an opportunity too,” he said. “I personally feel more comfortable playing defense, because it's something I've done my whole career.”

Since starting and playing with the Jets base defense, McIntyre hasn't received much feedback on his play from the coaches — but that's not a bad thing.

“If you're doing bad, they'll let you know,” he said. “We were in it a lot this last week against the Bills, the package that we were in on, and I don't think I'm going anywhere.”

Prior to the Buffalo game, Jets head coach Rex Ryan spoke about McIntyre in his Friday press conference, which is posted on the team's website.

“I don't know where he is from, but he went to school at Fresno. His career has had all kinds of turns — Arena League, CFL, played in Canada and all that kind of stuff — but just that resiliency he has, he's probably a similar story to James Harrison. Now I hope we get the same result, but yes, his story is pretty impressive. A tough kid. One thing we said after we watched him on tape was ‘Man, we love this guy.' He played like a Jet, a relentless motor, and obviously he is a talented guy, but I just loved the way he played,” Ryan said. “I remember when I was on the phone with him, we talked about ‘Hey, look, you're going to come in here, from day one you'll be lined up as a second, you'll be running with the twos, so it will be your job to lose.' And he never lost it. I was true to my word, Mike Tannenbaum was true to his word, and this young man was true to his in the way that he guaranteed us that he would perform, and that's what happened.”

Going into week 13 of the season, McIntyre has 11 tackles on the year, earning three more against Buffalo. One was on a kickoff return, with another for no gain while on defense. On most occasions, he'll come off during passing situations, with Fallon's Josh Mauga stepping in. The Jets are hanging around in the AFC playoff picture, though any loss from here on out would pretty much end their season.

JAG

All League
    ultimate jag

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4261358]JAG[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;4261367]ultimate jag[/QUOTE]

Probably true but he's definitely the best backup OLB we have against the run this year. Teams can take advantage of one dimensional players like him and Maybin, but they're good players to have for certain situations.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4261358]JAG[/QUOTE]

Wait...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;4261367]ultimate jag[/QUOTE]

WHUT???...

Jets Insider VIP
    Further proof we need better depth next year.

He's a JAG, but you need guys like him in order to be a good team. If the coaching staff likes him, they can keep him on the team for years, at very little cost, as he learns all the ins and outs of the defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4261408]He's a JAG, but you need guys like him in order to be a good team. If the coaching staff likes him, they can keep him on the team for years, at very little cost, as he learns all the ins and outs of the defense.[/QUOTE]
    He's 27 and not getting any faster. I'd rather have a younger faster OLB.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4261414]He's 27 and not getting any faster. I'd rather have a younger faster OLB.[/QUOTE]

Pace is 31 and not getting faster either. He does have 4 sacks, but I don't think he scares any OCs in the league

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Heynowguy;4261438]Pace is 31 and not getting faster either. He does have 4 sacks, but I don't think he scares any OCs in the league[/QUOTE]
    Further proof that we need a serious upgrade at the LB postion next season.

All Pro
    Don't get all the McIntyre hate. Yes, he is a limited player and not fast but he has played well against the run the past 2 weeks. He sets the edge against the run well, and can fight off blocks against the running game.

BT was exceptional against the run, and was a big loss to the D. Westerman doesn't play the run very well, so having McIntyre in there has upgraded the run D.

Yes, a limited player who can only really help on run downs, but he has performed this one job well the past few weeks.

All Pro
    Don't even know why, situational I'd say. and frankly
    I am tired of all these inconsistent vanilla play ahh.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4261414]He's 27 and not getting any faster. I'd rather have a younger faster OLB.[/QUOTE]

But Rex likes the guy and his players play!

[QUOTE=mrcoops;4261476]Don't get all the McIntyre hate. Yes, he is a limited player and not fast but he has played well against the run the past 2 weeks. He sets the edge against the run well, and can fight off blocks against the running game.

BT was exceptional against the run, and was a big loss to the D. Westerman doesn't play the run very well, so having McIntyre in there has upgraded the run D.

Yes, a limited player who can only really help on run downs, but he has performed this one job well the past few weeks.[/QUOTE]

The Cap makes guys like McIntyre important.Setting the edge and stopping the run is vital, good special teamer, and since this is his first year with the Jets, he may have a little upside. McIntyre and Mabin are a nice combination with complimentary skills, together they are a possible solution to one of OLB positions. Looking at this years draft, IMO the Jets needed to draft two OLB in the first 3 picks, but with the emergence of McIntyre & Maybin, could be drafting only one...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=mrcoops;4261476]Don't get all the McIntyre hate. Yes, he is a limited player and not fast but he has played well against the run the past 2 weeks. He sets the edge against the run well, and can fight off blocks against the running game.

Yes, a limited player who can only really help on run downs, but he has performed this one job well the past few weeks.[/QUOTE]

His haters have a strong need to be viewed as knowledgable. So they cast labels such as JAG on the guy. Our system is complex and takes some time to learn it. The guy has done a good job of learning it and helps stop the run well. Yet the haters have this important need to sound smart.

I want what is best for the team at all times. If we can get a better player then McIntrye next year, it would be fine with me. if he develops into what REX sees in him, thats fine with me too.

The pity is that this guy has been ridiculed from some here since the day he signed with us. In canada he was a decent passrusher and possibly can develop that ability with us. Would it annoy anyone if he did or would they still be spouting off : JAG, JAG!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4261520]His haters have a strong need to be viewed as knowledgable. So they cast labels such as JAG on the guy. Our system is complex and takes some time to learn it. The guy has done a good job of learning it and helps stop the run well. Yet the haters have this important need to sound smart.

[/QUOTE]
    So I guess it makes you smarter and more knowledgeable to call these posters out and purport that YOUR position is the correct one?

All Pro
    Lol at even wasting ink to write about this guy.. He truly sucks.. It's funny how he make a couple tackles now he is good vs run, what about the plays where they run right at him and he gets blown up.
    Last edited by Scoop24; 12-04-2011 at 11:02 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Scoop24;4261605]Lol at even wasting ink to write about this guy.. He truly sucks.. It's funny how he make a couple tackles now he is good vs run, what about the plays where they run right at him and he gets blown up.[/QUOTE]
    Welcome to the smart and knowledgeable camp.

the same people who say he's a jag, said he wouldn't make it out of training camp