Thread: Blatter OK's Video Review for 2014 World Cup

Jets Insider VIP

Blatter OK's Video Review for 2014 World Cup

Just read an article saying Blatter has given his consent for video review only and specifically to see if a ball has crossed the line or not for goals.

It's a start..

i think this is the one case in soccer in which video review is acceptable and necessary.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    i think this is the one case in soccer in which video review is acceptable and necessary.
    I think there's more than 1 case where video review is possible. They just don't have the nads.

Look at the NFL: there's a call on the field, to reverse it, they need clear and obvious proof that the call is wrong. And it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I think there's more than 1 case where video review is possible. They just don't have the nads.

Look at the NFL: there's a call on the field, to reverse it, they need clear and obvious proof that the call is wrong. And it works fine.
    Big one for me is correcting egregious red cards by idiotic refs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Big one for me is correcting egregious red cards by idiotic refs.
    Easy decision would be every red card or penalty is up for review (like every TD). If blatant mistake is made, it's corrected.

Easy decision would be every red card or penalty is up for review (like every TD). If blatant mistake is made, it's corrected.
    Love it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Love it.
    This is where I think Americans really have a head start and the right attitude towards video review: they accept it, and accept reversals.

I can't imagine a penalty being reversed in a heated contest. Fans would go nuts.

I think they have to bite the bullet, and eventually it will be accepted. There will be mistakes..etc, but they have to do it.

yeah, but there's the "flow of the game" element to be considered.

football stops after every play. 5 seconds of play, 40 seconds (or more) of stoppage. so stopping the game for a couple of minutes to review a call is no big deal.

i like the idea of video review for soccer, but it needs to be limited to very specific circumstances and situations that are "black and white" like whether or not the ball crossed the goal-line.

Jets Insider VIP
    i like the idea of video review for soccer, but it needs to be limited to very specific circumstances and situations that are "black and white" like whether or not the ball crossed the goal-line.
    I disagree. In the NFL some things are not black and white, but they review it. Did the receiver have posession? Meh, can't tell from the camera angles, the call stands. The call could be right or wrong, but there's no conclusive evidence a mistake was made...and everyone accepts it that way.

I think everyone needs a massive attitude overhaul in soccer. No, it won't be perfect, but it will reduce mistakes made.

I disagree. In the NFL some things are not black and white, but they review it. Did the receiver have posession? Meh, can't tell from the camera angles, the call stands. The call could be right or wrong, but there's no conclusive evidence a mistake was made...and everyone accepts it that way.

I think everyone needs a massive attitude overhaul in soccer. No, it won't be perfect, but it will reduce mistakes made.
    i'd be willing to implement review for:

- scoring plays
    - penalty kicks
    - red cards (including second yellow)

that's my final offer. take it or leave it

Veteran
    yeah, but there's the "flow of the game" element to be considered.

football stops after every play. 5 seconds of play, 40 seconds (or more) of stoppage. so stopping the game for a couple of minutes to review a call is no big deal.

I think this is the crucial point. In NFL the play stops naturally and they have concepts like "TV timeots" which are even more foreign to us than video review. I agree that its a ***** when you have the calls go against you but the only thing I'd be willing to review automatically are goals.

I'd only review red cards and penalties upon a challenge but the problem with that is there is no timeouts in soccer so there really isn't any fair way to penalise a team for a wasted challenge.

I don't know maybe they can implement a system where an additional fifth official watches the game in video room and immedeatly gives feedback to the match official without a significant break in play. And some sort of a cap on review time like 1 minute sort of like an injury. Then the red cards and the penalties can also be reviewed.

i'd be willing to implement review for:

- scoring plays
    - penalty kicks
    - red cards (including second yellow)

that's my final offer. take it or leave it
    This takes care of deliberate handball calls that can be overturned but doesn't take care of handballs that weren't called that should have been...

Right Frenchie

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    This takes care of deliberate handball calls that can be overturned but doesn't take care of handballs that weren't called that should have been...

Right Frenchie
    ^why you're not Top 10

Veteran
    ^why you're not Top 10
    LOL, everybody is top ten in teh soccer forum mate. Even then we can't fill out the top ten.

cept southglide of course he is warming up on the bench begging the coach to let him in...