Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: County Displays Crucified Santa on Courthouse Lawn

County Displays Crucified Santa on Courthouse Lawn

County Displays Crucified Santa on Courthouse Lawn

[url]http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/county-displays-crucified-santa-on-courthouse-lawn.html[/url]

Enjoy the impending Happy Holidays, my friends.;)

lolz...

Glad I have an outlet to vent my frustration now though...

I never really understood why so many Christians are misinformed and believe they are 'celebrating the birth and life of Jesus Christ'...

I'm all for gathering around ones family and even though I don't believe, am peeved by the commercialization of what was once just a festive holiday...

That aside, the holiday in itself was started as the 'Feast of Nativity' (possibly mis-phrased on my part).

The RCC wanted to take over a timely Pagan traditional holiday that celebrated the suns rise in the North after the Solstice.

The RCC couldn't have that and rather than abolish the holiday, simply made the celebration of Christ's birth the focal point of the day.

There are an abundant amount of Christians in this world who believe Christ was born on December 25th.

Randomly ask one what day Jesus was born. It's sad, really...

The fact of the matter is, no one knows but estimates have it as sometime in September...

As I'm reading a Facebook post from my sister last night, I see "The holiday season is stressful, I must reflect on what the holiday is all about and that is to celebrate Jesus' life and his glory'...

After writing a paraphrased version of what I said above, I just closed out of it.

I don't want to rain on anybodies parade (especially family) during what should be a time of thoughtfulness and togetherness...

So I had to vent...

One of the greatest myths to ever be conceived, the birth of Christ on December 25th...

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    I was thinking of reading this article but I am a pompous-a$$.

:D

[QUOTE=Buster;4266350]I was thinking of reading this article but I am a pompous-a$$.

:D[/QUOTE]

Then you're in good company in a Warfish Thread. We pompous asses need to stick together.

P.S. No Christie News today?:eek:

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4266349]lolz...

I never really understood why so many Christians are misinformed and believe they are 'celebrating the birth and life of Jesus Christ'...

I'm all for gathering around ones family and even though I don't believe, am peeved by the commercialization of what was once just a festive holiday...

That aside, the holiday in itself was started as the 'Feast of Nativity' (possibly mis-phrased on my part).

The RCC wanted to take over a timely Pagan traditional holiday that celebrated the suns rise in the North after the Solstice.

The RCC couldn't have that and rather than abolish the holiday, simply made the celebration of Christ's birth the focal point of the day.

There are an abundant amount of Christians in this world who believe Christ was born on December 25th.

The fact of the matter is, no one knows but estimates have it as sometime in September...

As I'm reading a Facebook post from my sister last night, I see "The holiday season is stressful, I must reflect on what the holiday is all about and that is to celebrate Jesus' life and his glory'...

After writing a paraphrased version of what I said above, I just closed out of it.

I don't want to rain on anybodies parade (especially family) during what should be a time of thoughtfulness and togetherness...

So I had to vent...

One of the greatest myths to ever be conceived, the birth of Christ on December 25th...[/QUOTE]

Most of that is true... but..

[quote]Christians are misinformed and believe they are 'celebrating the birth and life of Jesus Christ'...[/quote]

I don't understand how it supports this. How does ignorance or confusion as to the origin of the date of your celebration negate what you're celebrating?

[QUOTE=Axil;4266431]Most of that is true... but..

I don't understand how it supports this. How does ignorance or confusion as to the origin of the date of your celebration negate what you're celebrating?[/QUOTE]

Great question.

I'm now going to celebrate my birthday year round...

More presents for me :yes:

So I had to vent...

One of the greatest myths to ever be conceived, the birth of Christ on December 25th...[/QUOTE]

In all fairness, it is not important on what day Jesus was actually born.
    Your historical summary is accurate.
    But, the holiday has emerged and has been FOR CENTURIES a gathering of the family. Gifts have been exchanged for quite some time. Overcommercialized. Certainly. But people do that by choice. A crucified Santa? Way over the line. Why not Rudolph? Imagine if a BLACK Santa was cruified - the black Santa concept is in vogue now.
    In this case I applaud the "vigilante" concept.

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4266436]Great question.

I'm now going to celebrate my birthday year round...

More presents for me :yes:[/QUOTE]

Happy Birthday.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4266445]Why not Rudolph?[/QUOTE]

Mainejet got to him already...

I do agree with Always that the date is important and it's not really about Jesus' birthday.

december 25 is more or less the date of the winter solstice.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_solstice[/url]

For as long as humans have been looking up at the sky we have been celebrating a holiday around the time Christians celebrate Christmas.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4266469][B]I do agree with Always[/B] that the date is important and it's not really about Jesus' birthday.
    [/QUOTE]

Oh no on the bolded! I must be wrong :P

But this charade has gone on so long that it's just accepted into culture now...

This is exactly what the RCC wanted...

All Pro
    In religious terms, Christmas has always been the celebration of Christ's birth, not necessarily his exact birthday. It's symbolic.

Banned
    [QUOTE=palmetto defender;4266445]the black Santa concept is in vogue now.[/QUOTE]

Well considering he's climbing down soot-covered chimneys, a black Santa is probably accurate. :P

[SIZE="1"]BTW, I was going to go in a more racist (yet funny) direction with this joke (a black guy unlawfully entering a home through a chimney...you get the point ;) ), but I don't feel like accomplishing a trifecta of bans for the past few weeks.[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 12-06-2011 at 02:26 PM.

Jets Insider VIP

So I had to vent...

This is mostly accurate except for a couple additions:

Many scholars estimate Jesus of Nazareth was born around April.

The pagan solstice holiday was "stolen" primarily because of the easy transition of celebrating the "birth of the sun" and changing it to the "birth of the son". And no, no one believes that the English synonym there had nothing to do with it.

[QUOTE=palmetto defender;4266445]Imagine if a BLACK Santa was cruified - the black Santa concept is in vogue now.
    In this case I applaud the "vigilante" concept.[/QUOTE]

What color was this Santa?

[IMG]http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Santa-Claus-4.jpg[/IMG]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4266349]Randomly ask one what day Jesus was born. It's sad, really...[/QUOTE]

Bingo.

Crucified Santa. Bad. Crucified Jesus. OK.

Never understood the whole crucifix thing anyway. Why make a religious symbol out of the murder weapon of your religious icon? Every time Jesus sees one, he's got to be like this:

[IMG]http://fuuu.us/180.png[/IMG]

[QUOTE=JetPotato;4266557]
    Many scholars estimate Jesus of Nazareth was born around April.
    [/QUOTE]

Disagree...

I'm assuming you refer to the LDS belief... I wouldn't call them scholars... ;)

September is more highly regarded and involves some rudimentary formula relating travel in inclement weather and what months farm animals were tended to in the fields...

[QUOTE=cr726;4266563]What color was this Santa?

[IMG]http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Santa-Claus-4.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Well he was from Europe. I would say he was white. So far as Jesus goes he wasn't white he probably more middle eastern looking.

Most likely he was born in early autumn. Most likely September or October.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=cr726;4266563][IMG]http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Santa-Claus-4.jpg[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Why is his one hand hanging down?

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeCdaoj9DvA[/url]

@ 10:00

[B]NEIL:[/B] Hey, Rick, man. What are you doing with my crucifix, man?

[B]RICK:[/B] I'm protesting!

[B]NEIL:[/B] Yeah, but I really think I should lay this one on you, man. That's a really negative way to kill yourself, you know? Like I've tried it hundred of times! [B]There's no way you can hammer in the last nail.[/B]