Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Found: Earth-Like Planet That Might Be Right For Life

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Buster;4267190]Nerds thought up geosynchronous satellites, computers and tang.

The three things that made America great in the last half of the 20th century[/QUOTE]

tang has been both our best accomplishment and biggest vice ever, but it has been with us throughout the history of womankind, not just last century.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4267027]That's the same thing people said when some doofus said "Hey! I'm gonna get in this wooden boat powered by wind and sail off the edge of the horizon to who knows where"...

The asteroid belt itself has enough raw materials to quench our insatiable thirst for millions of years. We'll get there eventually. But it's gonna be the private sector that makes it happen. I'm all for NASA...but it's gonna be raw greed that's gonna make it a reality.[/QUOTE]

It's really not comparable though.. wooden ships could deliver a lot of man power and equipment compared to the modern day spaceship. It wasn't cheap to pay, feed and supply a crew, but just the *fuel* cost of your space voyage trump all of that. And that's before you've even factored in the cost of your vessel, versus a large wooden ship or ships. Perhaps danger is a wash. micrometeors, radiation poisoning and space-aids sound worse to me than storms, pirates and mermaids but i'm willing to concede that there was indeed significant danger to colonial exploratory voyages. Then you have to factor in what you're going to do when you reach your destination.

Let's pretend we've figured out how to maintain a somewhat safe position in an asteroid field. How the hell do i survey the asteroids? How do i get enough precious metals back into the ship to pay for my trip out there? How do i meaningfully mark the location in a celestial demolition derby, with equipment unlikely to be shattered by the frequent bumping, but inexpensive enough for the all too likely event that my mine gets kicked out of orbit and shoots off into space? My big wooden boat would sit there while i filled it up with loot, it would hold lots, and i was reasonably certain the land i found would be there when i got back.

I don't think mining on the moon or possibly mars is out of the question. but you're still going to need to be pulling diamonds the size of your head out of the ground to justify the expense getting there with our current tech. I do think better propulsion, and larger ships... probable permanent space-craft that we shuttle back and forth to, could be a game changer.

Jets Insider VIP
    [B]start asking the next question, which is, 'Is the planet moist and juicy, like our own planet Earth?' "[/B]

I found this to be a bit creepy.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=Axil;4267375]It's really not comparable though.. wooden ships could deliver a lot of man power and equipment compared to the modern day spaceship. It wasn't cheap to pay, feed and supply a crew, but just the *fuel* cost of your space voyage trump all of that. And that's before you've even factored in the cost of your vessel, versus a large wooden ship or ships. Perhaps danger is a wash. micrometeors, radiation poisoning and space-aids sound worse to me than storms, pirates and mermaids but i'm willing to concede that there was indeed significant danger to colonial exploratory voyages. Then you have to factor in what you're going to do when you reach your destination.

Let's pretend we've figured out how to maintain a somewhat safe position in an asteroid field. How the hell do i survey the asteroids? How do i get enough precious metals back into the ship to pay for my trip out there? How do i meaningfully mark the location in a celestial demolition derby, with equipment unlikely to be shattered by the frequent bumping, but inexpensive enough for the all too likely event that my mine gets kicked out of orbit and shoots off into space? My big wooden boat would sit there while i filled it up with loot, it would hold lots, and i was reasonably certain the land i found would be there when i got back.

I don't think mining on the moon or possibly mars is out of the question. but you're still going to need to be pulling diamonds the size of your head out of the ground to justify the expense getting there with our current tech. I do think better propulsion, and larger ships... probable permanent space-craft that we shuttle back and forth to, could be a game changer.[/QUOTE]

You don’t need much fuel in space since gravity is low and in fact can be used to propel things. Also the friction of an atmosphere is non-existent. There is an idea to use some sort of ‘electromagnetic sling shot’ or mass driver to send the ‘mined’ material back to earth where it would be slowed down and sent into our atmosphere safely.

I doubt “Space Mining” will be done by humans. Considering ‘Moore’s law’ that computers get twice as fast every 18 months. Eventually Robots will be more than “smart” enough to do the grunt work (if profitable) in the space.

This also brings up the issue of how much new matter can we bring back to earth without causing issues?

Any way the great cost of space exploration/exploitation is leaving the Earth’s gravitation field.
    Last edited by Buster; 12-07-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Axil;4267375]How do i meaningfully mark the location in a celestial demolition derby, with equipment unlikely to be shattered by the frequent bumping...[/QUOTE]

There isn't any frequent bumping. Asteroids in the asteroid belt are actually spaced very far apart. We've already sent dozens of probes through it without a single collision. The idea of a massive, chaotic asteroid field a la The Empire Strikes Back is a science fiction myth. The asteroids weren't formed by collisions...the belt is there as result of Jupiter's gravity preventing the original matter from the formation of the solar system into coalescing into a planetary body.
    Last edited by PlumberKhan; 12-07-2011 at 04:15 PM.