Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Son Wants Santa To Take Him To The Winter Classic In Philly - Bad Idea?

JetsInsider.com Legend

My Son Wants Santa To Take Him To The Winter Classic In Philly - Bad Idea?

[IMG]http://scm-l3.technorati.com/10/05/28/13333/winter-classic.jpg[/IMG]

Rangers and Flyers outdoors on Monday, January 2 at 1pm in Citizens Bank Park down in Philadelphia.

I know that fans in Fenway hated the Bruins game a few years back, lots of obstructed views and an impossible-to-see rink, but I figure if the location is good enough I'll be okay.

Wondering what the traffic might be like at 8am for the drive down and 4pm on the drive home. It's the day after New Year's Day, not sure if the volume will be very heavy or most folks will have driven home on Sunday. It's a long day for my 10 year old, and he's been great at all Jets home games this season, but if we're stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic he'll get ill and it'll ruin the effort.

Any advice appreciated.

SAR I

All Pro
    Um...Personally, I wouldn't let him go to a game with a guy dressed in a red suit who you have no idea about....but that's just me.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    [QUOTE=CanadaSteve;4267183]Um...Personally, I wouldn't let him go to a game with a guy dressed in a red suit who you have no idea about....but that's just me.[/QUOTE]

Pretend (shh) that [I]I'm[/I] Santa, not some stranger. What do you think then?

SAR I

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4267184]Pretend (shh) that [I]I'm[/I] Santa, not some stranger. What do you think then?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Aren't you Jewish?

Irregardless, I would take the sopne to the game. It's a very unique event, would be pretty cool.

Outdoors, old time hockey. Once a year event, you can't go wrong and he'd be extremely happy.

But if you tailgate, think about leasing a generator.

_

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=SAR I;4267184]Pretend (shh) that [I]I'm[/I] Santa, not some stranger. What do you think then?

SAR I[/QUOTE]

I suggest you wear a Santa suit, especially in Philly.

I'm predicting temps in the upper 50's.....game cancelled :D

Go Rangers....GO JETS!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Bonhomme Richard;4267196]I suggest you wear a Santa suit, especially in Philly.[/QUOTE]

Leasing a Santa suit is the best option.

Do your kids know how much it costs to lease a Santa for the day? More than a PSL. I say nay! Buy a generator instead.

[QUOTE=JStokes;4267185]Aren't you Jewish?

Irregardless, I would take the sopne to the game. It's a very unique event, would be pretty cool.

Outdoors, old time hockey. Once a year event, you can't go wrong and he'd be extremely happy.

But if you tailgate, think about leasing a generator.

_[/QUOTE]

It's actually an overpriced sh!tty experience with horrible views all the way around.

i say go for it.

as long as you're sitting at a proper distance from the ice.

I would take the son to a Saturday night Rangers game in Montreal or Toronto over the Winter Classic and would not think twice about the decision. Consider it experiencing an authentic hockey atmosphere over a bogus hockey atmosphere. Real fans verses those whose are going just to say they were there. The upcoming conference realignments in the NHL are going to limit the Rangers trips to MTL and TOR to 1 per year, so I would do this now.

Id be a little leary taking that 3 series Beemer into Philly especially if you havent had time to pay someone to change out the snow tires. Wearing a Santa suit in Philly could also get you beat up.

Hall Of Fame
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    You can go and do whatever you want in Killadelphia, just don't cheer on your team, or wear opposing gear. They do it right.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Are you aware that fans in Philadelphia drink lots of beer during the game? And fart?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southside;4267224]It's actually an overpriced sh!tty experience with horrible views all the way around.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=nyahay bus;4267350]I would take the son to a Saturday night Rangers game in Montreal or Toronto over the Winter Classic and would not think twice about the decision. Consider it experiencing an authentic hockey atmosphere over a bogus hockey atmosphere. Real fans verses those whose are going just to say they were there. The upcoming conference realignments in the NHL are going to limit the Rangers trips to MTL and TOR to 1 per year, so I would do this now.[/QUOTE]

I don't think price is an issue :D and he's just a kid.

It's not about the authentic hockey experience versus a bogus hockey experience or great views versus sh*tty views or real fans versus fans going just to say they were there, and while I concur it would be great to see a real game up in Montreal or Toronto, you don't have to fly to Canada to see this one.

He's just a kid that wants to go see an outdoor hockey game.

Can't believe I'm backing SAR on this one. :eek:

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;4267589]I don't think price is an issue :D and he's just a kid.

It's not about the authentic hockey experience versus a bogus hockey experience or great views versus sh*tty views or real fans versus fans going just to say they were there, and while I concur it would be great to see a real game up in Montreal or Toronto, you don't have to fly to Canada to see this one.

He's just a kid that wants to go see an outdoor hockey game.

Can't believe I'm backing SAR on this one. :eek:

_[/QUOTE]

You're getting soft in your old age.

Be on the lookout for this guy :eek:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RswBa2qel2I[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=southside;4267595]You're getting soft in your old age.[/QUOTE]

That's just how I get around Kwanza-time.

January I'll be all over his 3 series :D

_

All Pro

SAR I[/QUOTE]

Um....in that case, sure why not? I think he would love it. Won't you feel kinda foolish though sitting there at the game wearing a Santa suit though?

Bewildered Beast
    I would do anything to take my 10 year old anywhere.

Because he's 20 now. :(

not a bad thing. :)