Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official '11-'12 New York Knicks Thread***

No Shumpert means no perimeter defense. Nets feasted on the Knicks last night with the 3 ball. Also, this is not a good rebounding team at all if Tyson Chandler is in foul trouble.

The Delivery Guy Who Saw Jeremy Lin Coming

The morning after Jeremy Lin sank a thrilling, last-second three-pointer that lifted the New York Knicks over the Toronto Raptors and gave "Linsanity" its latest, rapturous chapter, the mysterious basketball oracle who saw it coming almost two years ago woke up in Bend, Ore., and blended himself a healthy green shake: celery, spinach, kale, orange juice. He put on his uniform, packed some trail mix for the road and pulled on his winter hat.

Then he went off to his day job: driving a FedEx Ground delivery truck.

In May 2010, an unsung numbers hobbyist named Ed Weiland wrote a long-term forecast of Jeremy Lin for the basketball website Hoops Analyst.

At the time, Lin was a lightly regarded, semi-known point guard who had completed his final season at Harvard. But Weiland saw NBA material. He emphasized how well Lin played in three nonconference games against big schools: Connecticut, Boston College and Georgetown. He noted how Lin's performance in two unsexy statistical categories—two-point field-goal percentage (a barometer of inside scoring ability) and RSB40 (rebounds, steals and blocks per 40 minutes) compared favorably with college numbers put up by marquee NBA guards like Allen Iverson and Gary Payton. Weiland concluded that Lin had to improve on his passing and leadership at the point, but argued that if he did, "Jeremy Lin is a good enough player to start in the NBA and possibly star."

In the wake of Lin's historic New York explosion, Weiland's eerily prescient post has quickly recirculated around the Internet, as a rare example of someone who saw potential in a player who wasn't drafted and was abandoned by two teams before getting a chance with the Knicks. Traffic rushing to Weiland's 2010 Lin piece briefly crashed the Hoops Analyst website after Lin torched the Lakers for 38 points Friday, and his wisdom has been compared with the groundbreaking number-crunching in the baseball best seller "Moneyball," which became a recent Hollywood movie. A tribute to Weiland's foresight on Yahoo's The Post Game ended with, "Brad Pitt's on line 1."

Monitoring from his silver Toshiba laptop, Weiland has been amused by the new appreciation of his work. A 51-year-old father of two, grandfather of one, vegan and amateur trail runner who lives by himself in a region full of cyclists and snowboarders, Weiland doesn't fit the profile of a 21st-century sports wonk.

"You were probably expecting a 22-year-old MIT graduate," Weiland said Wednesday, in his first interview since Lin-mania began.

Weiland grew up in Upper Michigan, near Norway, a city about a two-hour drive north of Green Bay, Wis. He played basketball, but never on a school team. He enrolled at Northern Michigan University but didn't graduate. But he remained intrigued by mathematics. In the 80s Weiland became fascinated by the work of Bill James, an ex-security guard whose detailed baseball analysis would later help revolutionize that sport. For fun, Weiland began to compile his own data. "As long as I remember, he's had spiral notebooks full of numbers," said Weiland's daughter, Jana, 29. "He had so much random knowledge of players and teams."

A fan of the Michael Jordan Bulls, Weiland was living in Chicago when he began to find like-minded hobbyists on the Internet. He began self-publishing his insights online. Weiland connected with Hoops Analyst in the mid-2000s. "He had a special interest in translating how NCAA players would do when they came to the NBA," said the site's founder, Harlan Schreiber. "Jeremy Lin is just an example of what he's been doing for years."

Weiland is quick to point out he wasn't the only stathead to take an early interest in Lin, and adds that he's made plenty of head-slapping mistakes, like badly shortchanging Blazers forward LaMarcus Aldridge. But what makes his 2010 post stand out is how sharply it sees Lin's athleticism and ability to rise up in big moments, the very traits the 23-year-old has displayed since being inserted into the Knicks lineup. Weiland made Lin a centerpiece of his 2010 pre-draft analysis, a possible hidden surprise. "Part of my thinking was that maybe he'd break out," he said.

But Weiland never expected Lin to go as "Linsane" as this. Entering Wednesday night's Knicks-Kings game, Lin was averaging 27.2 points and 8.8 assists in five scintillating starts. He is on the current cover of Sports Illustrated, and was named the NBA's Eastern Conference player of the week. Weiland believes Lin's numbers will come down when Carmelo Anthony returns to the New York lineup, but not drastically.

"When this all flattens out, I'm guessing he'll be scoring in the high teens, say 18 points, with 10 assists," he said. "That's an All-Star point guard, or at least borderline."

Meanwhile, Weiland continues to scour the NCAA, and he shared his enthusiasm for a pair of current players: Tony Mitchell of North Texas, and Jae Crowder at Marquette. By now, many of Weiland's friends and colleagues know about his side life examining sports. "He's got a real knack for numbers," said Weiland's boss, Vince VandenBosch. "Real smart guy."

"I don't think he set out to get recognized for this," said Jana Weiland. "I think it's really cool."

Ed Weiland said that he'd once hoped to turn his stats hobby into a professional career, but it was "never a burning ambition." He compared it to friends who played music for love. He confessed he'd never even spoken to Schreiber, the Hoops Analyst founder, communicating with the website only via email. Until late Wednesday, Schreiber had no idea what Weiland did for a living.

"I've lived a happily quiet life," Weiland said. "And it's still happily quiet."
    And with that, the man who anticipated the beginning of "Linsanity" said goodbye. There were deliveries to be made, and he needed to get to his truck.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...995441868.html

On the Dan Patrick show
    http://prod.danpatrick.com/2012/02/1...aw-lin-coming/

Clyde and Coach K on Lin on the DP Show
    http://prod.danpatrick.com/2012/02/2...to-any-system/

http://prod.danpatrick.com/2012/02/2...-here-to-stay/

NBA Draft Preview 2010: Jeremy Lin, G Harvard

Per the post above...See the article link for the charts...FYI...Weiland had Landry Fields as the 2nd best SF in the 2010 draft...

NBA Draft Preview 2010: Jeremy Lin, G Harvard

by Ed Weiland Any team looking to find a starting PG in the 2010 NBA draft had best win the lottery and get the top pick. A year after the legendary PG draft of 2009, the pickings for playmakers are going to be thin. That doesn’t mean there won’t be a player or two who surprise the experts though.

The best candidate to pull off such a surprise might be Harvard’s Jeremy Lin. The reason is two numbers Lin posted, 2-point FG pct and RSB40. Lin was at .598 and 9.7. This is impressive on both counts. These numbers show NBA athleticism better than any other, because a high score in both shows dominance at the college level on both ends of the court. Here is a list of recent college PGs who topped .540 and 9.0:

Bobby Dixon, you ask? He played at Troy from 2003-06. Dixon was listed at 5’10” and 160 his senior year and I’m guessing he was deemed too small. He’s played in France and Italy going on his 4th year now and seems to be getting plenty of PT. I don’t think I need to say too much to sell the rest of the group.

But Lin put up his numbers in the Ivy League, while most of the players on the list played in major conferences. This is a big deal. For players from a small conference the jump to the NBA is a lot tougher. They don’t get the exposure, unless their team makes the tournament. They need to be that much better statistically to stand out. Lin made his mark in the preseason when he averaged 23.3 PPG while shooting 63% in a 3-game stretch against UConn, BC and Georgetown. Typically players from small colleges see their numbers dip, sometimes drastically, when stepping up in competition. That Lin was able to not only be competitive, but excel in these situations is impressive. What I like to do with small college players is compare their numbers to those of successful small college players from the past. Here’s a list of college PGs who have successfully made the jump from small conferences to the NBA and their senior year stats:

This isn’t a wildly impressive group. Lin tops the group in 2-point pct, scored over 20 P40 and brings the high RSB40. That’s all good and bodes well for Lin’s NBA future. The bad news is he’s a decent, but not great passer, making it questionable whether he can handle the point. His 1.4 A/TO is the lowest total of this group with the exception of Hunter, who was more of a combo guard anyway. His 5.5 A40 is also on the low side. I like PG prospects to be over 6.0, but this isn’t completely necessary. There were several good NBA PGs who posted an A40 lower than Lin’s 5.5, the best being Sam Cassell and Mark Price. It is also important to point out that Terry Porter, who is by far the most successful player on this list, posted a lower A40 than Lin. So while it would be better for Lin to post a higher frequency of assists, and points for that matter, they’re not so low that I would dismiss his chances of playing PG at the next level.

With seniors who have been somewhat invisible until their final seasons, I think it is a good idea to look at the entire college career. This gives us an idea of whether the senior season is more of an aberration than a progression.

Lin’s progression looks fairly normal. The .598 might be a tad high, but even at the .545 he was at his junior year he’s still a pretty strong prospect. He’s scored 20+ for consecutive seasons and has 3 seasons over 9.0 RSB40. He has shot 37% on threes the past couple of seasons, so he has shown enough there. The important thing is his senior year doesn’t look fluky or something that was the result of a hot streak.

I like Jeremy Lin as a PG prospect, but he isn’t without flaws and concerns.

He isn’t a great passer yet and he didn’t score as frequently as a prospect from a small college should. Both numbers are in the grey area though.

They’re lower than I’d like them to be, but not low enough that I’d say Jeremy Lin was doomed as a prospect. That being noted, he does bring that combination of a high 2-point pct. and RSB40, which has been a very, very good thing for aspiring NBA PGs to have on their college report card in past years. This is a weak year for both PGs and combo guards. After John Wall there are no sure things. Jeremy Lin might be the #2 PG available in this draft. He looks to me like a sleeper in the mold of George Hill. He appears to have the skills to become at least a usable combo guard. If he can get the passing thing down and handle the point, Jeremy Lin is a good enough player to start in the NBA and possibly star.

Just a quick note here. I’m going to do the draft preview a little differently this year. Rather than doing long posts covering all the players at each position, I’m going to analyze similar players together. This will mean more posts than usual, but they’ll be shorter. I thought Jeremy Lin would be a good guy to start with, because he’s the one player I probably differ on with the rest of the draft pundits by the biggest margin. Hopefully this new way of doing things works well.

May 13, 2010 |

http://hoopsanalyst.com/blog/?p=487

Weiland's Fields 2010 Draft Report
    http://hoopsanalyst.com/blog/?p=516
    Last edited by C Mart; 02-21-2012 at 01:23 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    No Shumpert means no perimeter defense. Nets feasted on the Knicks last night with the 3 ball. Also, this is not a good rebounding team at all if Tyson Chandler is in foul trouble.
    That's what I took away from Monday as well.

D-Will was clearly a man on a mission -- Shumpert being our best permieter defender aside, when a guy is nailing threes like that you just aren't going to win. I'm also not worried about Melo -- when he shakes off the rust he'll be okay, glad to see him moving the ball.

But our defense and rebounding when Chandler gets into early foul trouble was definitley concerning.

Jets Insider VIP
    I nominate Ed Weiland to be the Knicks Asst. GM. Until he gets the contract stuff down. Then he can be the GM.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    That's what I took away from Monday as well.

D-Will was clearly a man on a mission -- Shumpert being our best permieter defender aside, when a guy is nailing threes like that you just aren't going to win. I'm also not worried about Melo -- when he shakes off the rust he'll be okay, glad to see him moving the ball.

But our defense and rebounding when Chandler gets into early foul trouble was definitley concerning.
    After Chandler there aren't any great rebounders on this team. Amare is not a good rebounder he should be better for someone with his size. Novak is a perimeter scorer. Jeffries is a hustle guy. Believe it or not the second best rebounder on this team is Carmelo Anthony.

After Chandler there aren't any great rebounders on this team. Amare is not a good rebounder he should be better for someone with his size. Novak is a perimeter scorer. Jeffries is a hustle guy. Believe it or not the second best rebounder on this team is Carmelo Anthony.

or Fields

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    or Fields
    My thought as well

Jets Insider VIP
    Novak is fun to watch when he's on.

Can't wait for tomorrow.

Defense at the end of the 1st was ****ing incredible

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If the Knicks turn over the ball as much as they did last night the game will be over by the half.

Also the Knicks need to make their 3's. If they miss a ton of 3's it's also over.

The Heat converts turnovers and missed 3's into easy buckets at the other end.

All Pro
    The Hawks were shortstaffed, but it's always fun to watch a bloodbath.

I'm not overly optimistic about tonight. Heat are on fire (ugh) right now and I think they'll want to make a statement entering the All Star Break. It will take a good night from all of our scorers to keep pace.

Anybody else not like Baron Davis on the court last night? Hard to imagine that I really wanted him to recover and play before the emergence of Lin. He looked sloppy at the point, as well as the team with him running things. Hope it's just rust.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    Anybody else not like Baron Davis on the court last night? Hard to imagine that I really wanted him to recover and play before the emergence of Lin. He looked sloppy at the point, as well as the team with him running things. Hope it's just rust.
    He did have 6 assists. He just needs to get his legs back and he will be fine as a backup. They really just need about 15 minutes from him.

He was careless with the ball last night and looked sloppy at times but right now is basically his summer/pre season. He hasn't played in 9 months.

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    He did have 6 assists. He just needs to get his legs back and he will be fine as a backup. They really just need about 15 minutes from him.

He was careless with the ball last night and looked sloppy at times but right now is basically his summer/pre season. He hasn't played in 9 months.
    I could have had six assists against Atlanta last night. His legs weren't the issue with me. It was how he handles/passes the ball. It looked really careless at times.

I don't know much about the guy. Is that his style of play?

Davis was fine last night he made some nice plays as a passer, scorer and even defender. I love the depth he and JR Smith give us. Davis is a very talented PG who's finally healthy and playing for a contract. No need to burn out Lin playing 40+ minutes per game.

Davis was fine last night he made some nice plays as a passer, scorer and even defender. I love the depth he and JR Smith give us. Davis is a very talented PG who's finally healthy and playing for a contract. No need to burn out Lin playing 40+ minutes per game.
    I had the exact opposite impression with Reid. I've always loved the guy, especially his jump shot. This was a huge signing for us.

I guess my comments on Davis are more a testament to how Lin has played, and my lingering frustration of losing Felton and the rest of the players to Denver last year in the Melo trade. We had a nice little team and f**ked with it. I don't want that to happen again this year.

I could have had six assists against Atlanta last night. His legs weren't the issue with me. It was how he handles/passes the ball. It looked really careless at times.

I don't know much about the guy. Is that his style of play?
    That's Baron, he is all about flash, one of the best lob passers in the league, but he does a lot of that behind the back, no look stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Drama View Post
    That's Baron, he is all about flash, one of the best lob passers in the league, but he does a lot of that behind the back, no look stuff.
    That's what I took from last night's game. Almost like he was out to show that he still "had it".

I'm not down on the guy after one game, just surprised. I don't think that's our style right now. Hope Davis succeeds here.

That's what I took from last night's game. Almost like he was out to show that he still "had it".

I'm not down on the guy after one game, just surprised. I don't think that's our style right now. Hope Davis succeeds here.
    As the poster above said, he plays for flash... He's a crowd hyper... And sometime it leads to ugly turnovers...

The team can easily overcome that for the solid depth he brings off the bench... I wish it wasn't his style but it's TBE...