Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official '11-'12 New York Knicks Thread***

All Pro
    I'm no D'Antoni fan, but the real issue right now is they have putrid play in the back court. Not saying he'll solve all the issues, but getting Baron healthy can only help. This off-season I'm fully on board with signing Raymond Felton again.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Supposedly the Magic are not interested due to Amare's uninsured contract and his knee problems.

However, come February with the trade deadline staring the Magic in their face and the possiblity of losing Howard for trash I think ultimately they trade him either to the Lakers or Knicks. I don't think the Nets have the assets to offer the Magic. Most they can offer is Humph and a draft pick.

Knicks can offer Amare and Chandler. Lakers can offer Gasol and Bynum. Big difference.
    How about trading Mello for Deron Williams instead, the knicks offense looked putrid since Melo got here.
    Last edited by Mattay; 01-20-2012 at 09:39 PM.

All Pro
    Supposedly the Magic are not interested due to Amare's uninsured contract and his knee problems.

However, come February with the trade deadline staring the Magic in their face and the possiblity of losing Howard for trash I think ultimately they trade him either to the Lakers or Knicks. I don't think the Nets have the assets to offer the Magic. Most they can offer is Humph and a draft pick.

Knicks can offer Amare and Chandler. Lakers can offer Gasol and Bynum. Big difference.
    The Nets can offer a lot more than Humphries and a pick.

They can give them Lopez, Brooks and draft picks. Also they have the ability to take on a contract they dont want (Hedo or Duhon)

I think the Lakers would be insane to give them Bynum and Pau considering those 2 (especially Bynum) are playing a huge role in them finding success with Mike Brown.

As for the Knicks, theres no way in the world the Magic would even want Amare or Chandler and they wouldnt want anything else the Knicks have to offer. Amare is in year 2 of a max deal and his numbers indicate a decline. His efficiency rating is that of an average player at the moment. The efficiency number may indicate Amare needs a good point guard to play his best which is something the Magic dont even have (Jameer distributes the ball terribly). One of the worst moves the Knicks made recently was not saving the amnesty for Amare. In a year or two you may really need it.

On topic though, my point is I can only see Dwight ending up in NJ/Brooklyn or Dallas with Deron.

All Pro
    Knicks are one of two teams (Bobcats) who haven't won in Cleveland since LeBron left.

That is beyond pathetic.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    The Nets can offer a lot more than Humphries and a pick.

They can give them Lopez, Brooks and draft picks. Also they have the ability to take on a contract they dont want (Hedo or Duhon)

I think the Lakers would be insane to give them Bynum and Pau considering those 2 (especially Bynum) are playing a huge role in them finding success with Mike Brown.

As for the Knicks, theres no way in the world the Magic would even want Amare or Chandler and they wouldnt want anything else the Knicks have to offer. Amare is in year 2 of a max deal and his numbers indicate a decline. His efficiency rating is that of an average player at the moment. The efficiency number may indicate Amare needs a good point guard to play his best which is something the Magic dont even have (Jameer distributes the ball terribly). One of the worst moves the Knicks made recently was not saving the amnesty for Amare. In a year or two you may really need it.

On topic though, my point is I can only see Dwight ending up in NJ/Brooklyn or Dallas with Deron.
    Agree..I was hoping they would amnesty him this season and hold onto Chauncey...Then go after a younger PG in the summer--DWilliams

Quote Originally Posted by Austin View Post
    Knicks are one of two teams (Bobcats) who haven't won in Cleveland since LeBron left.

That is beyond pathetic.
    Knicks are cursed. They could put together a starting lineup of Paul, Kobe, Melo, Howard and Dirk and still have a losing record.

Fire D'antoni and his stupid 7 second offense that doesn't fit this team and hope Baron Davis ends up being the pg our offense sorely misses.

Hall Of Fame
    Knicks are cursed. They could put together a starting lineup of Paul, Kobe, Melo, Howard and Dirk and still have a losing record.

Fire D'antoni and his stupid 7 second offense that doesn't fit this team and hope Baron Davis ends up being the pg our offense sorely misses.
    BS on curses...

This explains it:

IanBegley Ian Begley
    According to @ESPNStatsInfo Carmelo has gone ISO on 33% of his plays, a league high. FG% on his ISO plays is 28.8, ranked 66th in the NBA.

Melo is a black hole..when he gets the ball everything stops..No flow.

Hall Of Fame
    For a fleeting moment last February, on a night built for glory and self-affirmation, Carmelo Anthony and Amar’e Stoudemire beat LeBron James. The symbolism was as powerful as the result.

James drove, Anthony gave chase and Stoudemire blocked a potential game-winning layup in the closing seconds, propelling the Knicks to a thrilling 91-86 upset of the Miami Heat. The victory came five days after Anthony became a Knick, and it provided all the tangible justification that team officials needed for that controversial trade.

In that moment, the Knicks were the Heat’s equals, with a chorus of stars — Anthony, Stoudemire and Chauncey Billups — to match Miami’s celebrated Big Three of James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. That was how the Knicks viewed it, anyway.

“One of the bigger wins of last season,” Anthony said, looking back. “It was a momentum win. It was a confidence booster for us.”

It was of course an illusion, a timely but mostly meaningless triumph. The Knicks were not the Heat’s equal then, nor are they now, as the rivals prepare to meet again Friday night.

The Heat proceeded to march to the N.B.A. finals last season, falling two victories shy of a championship. The Knicks were swept in the first round by the aging but still-potent Boston Celtics.

The Knicks have since replaced one star (Billups) with another (Tyson Chandler), in the undying belief that three stars automatically ensures championship contention. But, as they are now demonstrating nightly, not all Big Threes are created equally, or logically.

The Knicks arrived in Miami with a 7-11 record, despite the presence of two dominant scorers and a top defensive center. Their offense is bordering on incoherent. Coach Mike D’Antoni, who made a career out of his offensive ingenuity, seems flummoxed.

Anthony is struggling with wrist, thumb and ankle injuries. Stoudemire is still regaining his timing and his game legs after an off-season spent recovering from a back injury. Every role player seems to have taken a step backward.
    All of these things may work themselves out in the weeks to come, and the Knicks could find their stride by the end of this hectic 66-game season.

Baron Davis, who is expected to join the lineup any day now, may prove to be the critical missing element, a playmaker who brings order to a chaotic offense.

But those are some pretty weighty maybes, and no team should be dependent on a 32-year-old point guard with back troubles after it invested $237 million in three stars. Anthony, Stoudemire and Chandler are supposed to be the Knicks’ foundation, the equivalent of Miami’s James, Wade and Bosh; or Boston’s Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen; or the Lakers’ Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol and Andrew Bynum.

That is surely what James L. Dolan, the Madison Square Garden chairman, believed when he pushed through the Anthony trade last February over the objections of his basketball executives. Anthony was a marquee name and a dazzling performer who could justify big increases in ticket prices while presumably winning a few playoff games. His arrival increased sales and television ratings, so Dolan achieved that much.

But the Knicks’ Big Three do not compare to the others for basketball reasons that surely elude the Garden hierarchy. The Celtics’ partnership worked in 2007-8 because Pierce, Garnett and Allen brought different skills to the lineup — and were joined by a burgeoning fourth star, Rajon Rondo.

Although James and Wade initially struggled to blend their games, the Heat thrived because James and Wade are multidimensional players who can score, pass and defend.

For all their scoring prowess, neither Anthony nor Stoudemire is so well-rounded. Anthony, who was considered James’s equal when they were drafted in 2003, has neither James’s playmaking skills nor his defensive intensity. Stoudemire is similarly lacking. Both Stoudemire and Anthony demand the ball and a lot of shots. They have rarely thrived simultaneously, each player performing his best when the other is on the bench.

These subtleties are lost on Garden officials, who seem to approach roster-building like a fantasy basketball draft, with no regard for balance, chemistry or cohesion — to say nothing of depth. The Knicks would have been better off waiting for Deron Williams or Chris Paul, but they would not have generated the buzz or the cash to pay for part of the Garden’s $800 million renovation.

Anthony’s penchant for dominating the ball has stifled D’Antoni’s fluid offense and often turned Stoudemire into a bystander. When Stoudemire repeatedly preaches that the Knicks need to “move the ball” and “buy into” D’Antoni’s system, he is referring to Anthony more than anyone.

“It works,” Stoudemire said Wednesday, after a 91-81 loss in Cleveland.

“It’s proven that it works.”

Anthony’s injuries have only exacerbated matters, making him a high-volume shooter with a low success rate. He is 40 of 126 (.317) since spraining his left wrist, but he was struggling even before that, going 26 of 67 (.388) in the previous four games.

The Knicks cannot win with Anthony taking 25 to 30 shots and making only a third of them. They cannot win without the tempo and ball movement that helps role players such as Landry Fields find their rhythm. It was no coincidence that the offense flowed better at Charlotte when Anthony took only seven shots.

For now, the Knicks remain an imbalanced team, with a talented, though ill-fitting frontcourt, a flimsy backcourt and a weak bench. Like the Miami Heat, they have three stars. But they are nothing like the Miami Heat.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/27/sp...seNaTJEKO+KdEQ

This disaster is falling on Dolan...Last years Knick team pre-Melo trade was fun to watch..I'd love to see that team with Chandler.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    BS on curses...

This explains it:

IanBegley Ian Begley
    According to @ESPNStatsInfo Carmelo has gone ISO on 33% of his plays, a league high. FG% on his ISO plays is 28.8, ranked 66th in the NBA.

Melo is a black hole..when he gets the ball everything stops..No flow.
    Yawn.

Another Melo is a loser argument. Melo is missing his shots because his wrist is injured and if he's such a loser how did he make the playoffs in the western conference 7 years in a row and win a national championship in college? There's no "flow" because the Knicks don't have a real pg on the floor and won't have one until Baron Davis finally gets healthy.

Melo and Amare won't be able to coexist together until the Knicks get a real pg and dump the 7 second offense bs. This is a halfcourt team that needs a pg that can set up Melo and Amare. Until then you are going to continue to see the 1 on 1 bs and they will lose with Melo or without Melo (which they are going to do tonight). Adding Chandler improved the defense overall but losing Chauncey Billups has killed the offense.
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 01-27-2012 at 07:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    I'm no D'Antoni fan, but the real issue right now is they have putrid play in the back court. Not saying he'll solve all the issues, but getting Baron healthy can only help. This off-season I'm fully on board with signing Raymond Felton again.
    Baron Davis won't solve everything but there is no doubt he will make the offense better because he is an actual point guard. Shumpert is talented but really a shooting guard. Toney Douglas is not talented and a shooting guard.

Knicks have to find a way to sign Felton next off-season. Anthony and Amare have to be finishers in this offense not initiators which is what they are both being forced to do right now and which is why it looks like they can't coexist.

Veteran
    Baron Davis won't solve everything but there is no doubt he will make the offense better because he is an actual point guard. Shumpert is talented but really a shooting guard. Toney Douglas is not talented and a shooting guard.

Knicks have to find a way to sign Felton next off-season. Anthony and Amare have to be finishers in this offense not initiators which is what they are both being forced to do right now and which is why it looks like they can't coexist.
    I was really sad to see him go last year. That kid has a presence and can play.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I was really sad to see him go last year. That kid has a presence and can play.
    My only problem with the Carmelo trade was giving up Felton. He was a critical piece and is exactly what this team needs. I'm optimistic Baron Davis will help this offense once he's healthy. Davis had some tough breaks in LA and Cleveland I still think he can be a good player in the right system.

25 points and 7 assists for Jeremy Lin. It's amazing how much better the Knicks look when they have a real pg on the floor actually running the offense and penetrating to the basket.

Maybe we have our answer:

The Asian Sensation

Hall Of Fame
    25 points and 7 assists for Jeremy Lin. It's amazing how much better the Knicks look when they have a real pg on the floor actually running the offense and penetrating to the basket.
    He can't bring the ball up the floor vs any pressure. His stats show how bad the Nets are this year.

All Pro
    Maybe we have our answer:

The Asian Sensation
    Lol, was at the game last night. He's an instant crowd favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by cr726 View Post
    He can't bring the ball up the floor vs any pressure. His stats show how bad the Nets are this year.
    He was matched up against Deron Williams on both sides of the floor. He had to pass the ball when the Nets trapped him? Who doesn't?

I'm not saying Lin is the next Walt Frazier but Jeez if the Knicks can get even semi-decent pg play they might actually be able to make the playoffs.

Stats brother was killed in a car accident in Florida, from what I just heard...

Terrible news

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Stats brother was killed in a car accident in Florida, from what I just heard...

Terrible news
    Awful, just awful.

A few days ago I saw Amare tweeted about how proud he is of his brother for going to college. I guess he was a freshman. So sad.

Awful, just awful.

A few days ago I saw Amare tweeted about how proud he is of his brother for going to college. I guess he was a freshman. So sad.
    Sorry, I should have mentioned he has multiple siblings...

I think he was talking about Marwan in that tweet but I'm not sure...