Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official '11-'12 New York Knicks Thread***

***Official '11-'12 New York Knicks Thread***

Figured it's time for the Knicks thread, as the shortened, 66-game season is only a few weeks away. 2 pre-season games to be played before that, both against the Nets. One on the 17th at the Rock and the other on the 22nd at the Garden.

Can't wait, go Knicks!!

Hopefully the Knicks compete for one of the top 3 seeds. As long as Billups, Amare and Carmelo can all stay healthy, Im confident they can. Health is key for this Knicks team.

The playing time and playoff experience that both Fields as a rookie, and Douglas as a second year player gained last season, could end up becoming pivotal for New York moving forward.

Shumpert is also a promising young rookie. Can guard the 1 through 3 position(s), is considered the best overall defender coming out of the draft, and Shump is also, by far, the most athletically gifted rookie out of this years draft class. Kid has star talent written all over his game.

With the drafting of PF Harrellson out of Kentucky, and the recent re-signing of JJ, I believe its time the Knicks call up rookie Jerome Jordan, a true 7 footer. The more big men we have, the better our chances become.

Our role players have to step up big this season, because we all know Carmelo and Amare can lead New York to future greatness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht0hiLsUv1I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWCeuV93Qsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzjPHTgs8P0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX1OMc3l3N0

Agreed on all points.

A lot of people were down on the Shumpert pick, but I like him and am excited to see him. As you mentioned, extremely athletic and a great defender, something that should be a welcomed addition.

I think Fields will have a very good season. As we all know, he was so impressive and then seemed to wear out a bit after the roster turnover with the Melo trade. I think that could have been a combination of adjusting to the new lineups and also just fatigue. Both of those should improve this season. Also, very excited to see Douglas continue to develop.

You were spot on in regards to Fields. He lost his legs towards the end of the season due to fatigue, which is pretty much expected with rookies during their first NBA season. Also lost his confidence during the Celtics series, but as they say, rookie mistakes are prone to happen.

When watching this Fields interview, youll see where hes learned from his rookie mistakes. He made it known, that as an NBA player, he now knows what to expect heading into his second season. Which could end up paying dividends for someone, in my eyes, who was by far the most productive rookie of last years draft class. Its also nice knowing that hes worked hard during the offseason, while also conditioning himself for the defensive side of the ball. Speaking of defense, Fields also brought up the fact that Shumpert is a hype player with great defensive ability.

The Knicks are on the verge of featurning 3 young guards in Fields, Douglas and Shumpert who all work hard on the defensive end of the court. Even an aging Billups plays with defensive pride and toughness. I understand we lack size down low, our rebounding on the boards wont be strong, but if Carmelo and Amare both focus and play with effort on the defensive end, with the defensive play of our guards... defense could finally be back in New York.

Any news on Turiaf, will he be a Knick this season? I wouldn\'t mind a Center by committee rotation of Turiaf, 7 foot/253 pound Jordan, rookie out of KY in Harrellson whos 6 10/275 and even JJ from time to time. As long as we get defensive effort with toughness on the boards with these guys, we should be ready to go. I really hope we bring back Turiaf though.

http://www.nba.com/knicks/video/2011...NBAflv-1925594

Quote Originally Posted by NY-Jets View Post
    You were spot on in regards to Fields. He lost his legs towards the end of the season due to fatigue, which is pretty much expected with rookies during their first NBA season. Also lost his confidence during the Celtics series, but as they say, rookie mistakes are prone to happen.

When watching this Fields interview, youll see where hes learned from his rookie mistakes. He made it known, that as an NBA player, he now knows what to expect heading into his second season. Which could end up paying dividends for someone, in my eyes, who was by far the most productive rookie of last years draft class. Its also nice knowing that hes worked hard during the offseason, while also conditioning himself for the defensive side of the ball. Speaking of defense, Fields also brought up the fact that Shumpert is a hype player with great defensive ability.

The Knicks are on the verge of featurning 3 young guards in Fields, Douglas and Shumpert who all work hard on the defensive end of the court. Even an aging Billups plays with defensive pride and toughness. I understand we lack size down low, our rebounding on the boards wont be strong, but if Carmelo and Amare both focus and play with effort on the defensive end, with the defensive play of our guards... defense could finally be back in New York.

Any news on Turiaf, will he be a Knick this season? I wouldn\'t mind a Center by committee rotation of Turiaf, 7 foot/253 pound Jordan, rookie out of KY in Harrellson whos 6 10/275 and even JJ from time to time. As long as we get defensive effort with toughness on the boards with these guys, we should be ready to go. I really hope we bring back Turiaf though.

http://www.nba.com/knicks/video/2011...NBAflv-1925594
    Good stuff, thanks for the link.

In regards to Turiaf, he will be back. He has a $4.3 million player option for this upcoming season.

Hopefully the Knicks compete for one of the top 3 seeds. As long as Billups, Amare and Carmelo can all stay healthy, Im confident they can. Health is key for this Knicks team.
    Agree 100%. That's why I think the shortened season will help this team.

That said it appears the roster may go through some radical changes in the near future. They are trying hard to figure out a way to get Chris Paul - if this whole Chandler rumor is true I don't think I'm so crazy about that strategy. I'd rather have Amare and Carmelo instead of playing small ball. I've seen enough small ball last 10+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Good stuff, thanks for the link.

In regards to Turiaf, he will be back. He has a $4.3 million player option for this upcoming season.
    Turiaf will be back there is no way he can get more than 1 yr $4.3 mil on the FA market.

Not trying to compare Chandler to Ewing, because Ewins is a once in a generation type of Center, but Chandler will without question, the most dominating C the Knicks have had since a younger Ewing. Chandler can dominate both the boards and defensive side of the ball at ease. He is a championship winning center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwiXZEZJQPU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JG9MsVOgeIw

i gotta say, i'm getting REALLY excited about the idea of having Chandler.

that's just a nasty frontcourt, and Chandler's presence will go a long way towards fixing our defense and rebounding issues.

i just hope the young guards are ready to step up.

ps -- welcome back, Phil.

hope you stick around this time, as long as you don't bring the jinx

I am beaming. The thought of Chandler running the floor is something we haven't seen in decades. So folks on the radio said the deal is close. Please tell me it gets done.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    I am beaming. The thought of Chandler running the floor is something we haven't seen in decades. So folks on the radio said the deal is close. Please tell me it gets done.
    as far as i understand it, it's a done deal.

Knicks just gotta figure out a way of dumping Billups and Turiaf, through Amnesty and/or trade.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    ps -- welcome back, Phil.

hope you stick around this time, as long as you don't bring the jinx
    Is that him?

The thought crossed my mind, but I figured he was a bit too grammatically correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    as far as i understand it, it's a done deal.

Knicks just gotta figure out a way of dumping Billups and Turiaf, through Amnesty and/or trade.
    F**K YEAH!! Finally a center, and a guy who's that athletic. We just became favorites in the East.

Quote Originally Posted by Borgoguy View Post
    As Dirtstar said, the deal WILL get done. It's just a matter of when.

Just read this:

In a development no one saw coming, the New York Knicks, with zero cap space, have somehow vaulted to the front of the race for Tyson Chandler, according to Ken Berger of CBS Sports, who broke the story — a story since confirmed by SI.com’s Sam Amick and several other outlets.

This is monumental, and not only because acquiring Chandler would give the Knicks the one player Chris Paul wants most as a teammate. Some implications:

• The Knicks must create the space to sign Chandler as a free agent, and they can do it either by using the amnesty provision on Chauncey Billups–a few months after picking up his $14.2 million option for this season–or trading Billups to a team holding enough cap space to absorb him without sending anyone back to New York. They would also need to dump Ronny Turiaf’s $4.4 million salary and renounce the rights to other free agents in order to clear enough space to offer Chandler $14 million per year or more.

Billups is still a very efficient offensive player, and if the Knicks do use the amnesty clause on him, at least one of the teams under the cap figures to place a bid on Billups for this season. The Clippers and Kings come to mind immediately, in part because they have the space for pretty big bids and varying degrees of need at the position.

• Chandler leaving Dallas shifts the 2011-12 title picture dramatically. The Mavericks cannot win the title without him, even if they land Billups via a Chandler sign-and-trade, as Yahoo!’s Adrian Wojnarowski suggested they might try to do. Brendan Haywood is a decent big man who can protect the rim, but he lacks Chandler’s ability as a pick-and-roll threat on offense and can’t touch Chandler a pick-and-roll disruptor on defense. Ask LeBron James.

• Ah, Chris Paul, the wild card here. Paul has made it clear he’d be much more amenable to staying long-term with a team that lands his former teammate Chandler. Is that New York’s play here? Perhaps. But with Chandler, Amar’e Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony on board for 2012-13, plus Toney Douglas (the only real point guard left here without Billups), Iman Shumpert, Landry Fields and roster filler, the Knicks would not have the cap room to offer Paul much — if anything — as a free agent. To repeat for delusional New York fans: The Knicks would not have cap room to chase Paul in free agency if they keep the Chandler/Stoudemire/Anthony trio.

Something must give here. Perhaps New York has given up on Paul in hopes of landing a lower-priced point guard with the mid-level exception in the summer. A ring-chasing Steve Nash comes to mind, and Nash will be a free agent after this season. The Knicks could also be fine with the Stoudemire/Chandler/Anthony core, reasoning Chandler is precisely the kind of defensive anchor these two defense-challenged stars need in order to compete with the league’s best teams. Even so: You need a primary ball-handler. Melo can run a decent pick-and-roll from 20 feet out, but the Knicks need a floor-spacer who can control the offense every time down the floor. Melo can’t do that. Who can? Douglas is a nice player and a capable shooter, but he has not shown he can play this role 40 minutes per game on a good team. Shumpert, all hype aside, is a rookie who disappointed in college.

Which brings us to the most dramatic possibility: Are the Knicks ready and willing to deal Anthony or Stoudemire for Paul? The Hornets are doing due diligence on Rajon Rondo, Boston’s primary Chris Paul trade bait, and at this very second, it appears Paul’s other suitors (the Warriors and Clippers) aren’t ready to part with the pieces New Orleans wants most — Stephen Curry and Eric Gordon. Is it possible the Knicks feel they can step into the void with Anthony or Stoudemire? Neither is an ideal rebuilding piece, but both are legitimate All-Star players. Anthony is 27, so he’s not young anymore, and he’s an indifferent defensive player who compromises his own prodigious scoring ability by too often stopping the ball and jacking bad mid-range jumpers. Still: He is a centerpiece scorer who can draw fouls in bunches, attract double-teams and work as the foundation of a top offense.

Stoudemire is a more unique offensive talent — a power forward who can hurt you inside and as a pick-and-pop threat. But he’s older (29) with a history of bad knees (though the history is getting distant now), and he has never progressed into an adequate defender. He works hard on that end, but he has never had a good understanding of angles and positioning.

Still, if I’m the Knicks, I’m working hard to flip Anthony to the Hornets for Paul. The Paul/Stoudemire/Chandler trio is a natural fit. Chandler is an ace defender who can cover for Stoudemire and draw attention when the Knicks have the ball by rolling to the hoop. Stoudemire can take advantage of that attention by rotating into space for jumpers and serving as New York’s primary pick-and-roll threat. Paul can orchestrate it all the way he has done it for years, only now he’d have two different big man threats, just as he did in 2007-08, when he, Chandler and David West led the Hornets to 56 wins behind one of the league’s half-dozen best offenses. Paul is a better shooter now than he was then, and if you give him two complementary pick-and-roll threats, you’ve got the makings of a top-three offense.

You could certainly work with a Paul/Anthony/Chandler trio, but the pieces don’t fit as nicely. Anthony and Paul are both “starters,” in that they both have preferred to initiate things.

And all of this might be moot if the Lakers swoop in and acquire Paul today or tomorrow, something they are reportedly trying to do using Pau Gasol as the bait in a three-team deal, per SI.com’s Sam Amick and Chris Mannix.

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2011...yson-chandler/

Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    As Dirtstar said, the deal WILL get done. It\'s just a matter of when.
    Potential is potential, but we won\'t know what we have in Shumpert until the season starts to play out.

With all that said DJY, do you feel TD23 can run the offense with guys like Fields, Melo, Amare and now Chandler surrounding him?

Regardless, I rather have a Douglas and Chandler duo at the 1/5 position(s) over a Billups and JJ duo.

Defense has returned to New York.

Potential is potential, but we won\'t know what we have in Shumpert until the season starts to play out.

With all that said DJY, do you feel TD23 can run the offense with guys like Fields, Melo, Amare and now Chandler surrounding him?

Regardless, I rather have a Douglas and Chandler duo at the 1/5 position(s) over a Billups and JJ duo.

I want to see Chandler destroy Rondo--and anybody else--if he drives the lane.

CP3 to LA deal looks like it's about done. I'm glad, rather keep STAT to pair with Chandler.

DefenseWinsChampionships...