Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Trent Richardson

All Pro

Let's Talk Trent Richardson

RB Alabama

He had a lot of pre-season hype with many projections in the top 10. I don't see him that high in a lot recent mocks. How has he been this season, and how does his skill set transition to the league?

RB's have lost a lot of value in recent years, you have to be considered pretty special to be a 1st round RB these days eg CJ Spiller

Is he a game changer? If he fell to us in the 2nd half of round 1 do you pass him up? I know we've devoted a very large number of draft picks to the position recently

-3rd on Greene
    -4th on Mcknight
    -5th on Connor
    -4th on Powell

But it's clear we're lacking a playmaker at RB. This team has a lot of holes at WR, OLB, RT, S . . . I don't watch college football and I'm curious if Richardson is good enough to be worth passing on other positions of need.

Veteran
    I'm by no means an expert on this, but if Richardson was to slide to the Jets, who presumably will be picking no earlier than the late teens, than you have to take him. Seems like complete package and supposedly the best RB to enter the draft since AP.

That all said, I'm not a big fan of the Jets using a high pick on a RB this year. Rex has spent around 30% of his draft picks on the RB position over the last 3 years and so it's time he addressed other positions (like LB, which has been completely neglected). But my gut tells me the Jets will pick up a RB somewhere to fill LT's spot, but I could see it being another McKnight-type (as someone else suggested, Jeff Demps perhaps?) to help improve the offense's overall speed.

All Pro
    To me he is an elite running back prospect. He can do it all - run with power between the tackles and he can break into the open field. Great receiver, prototypical size, outstanding production. He is a game changer and he would make our running game dominant again and considering the identity of our team, we need that.

Of course it's not great to spend a first rounder on a RB but the other approach hasn't really worked last season. Greene has yet to prove that he can make a difference, Powell is unproven and McKnight is no more than a third down back. Our line actually opens up big holes but our RBs never take advantage of it. That's why we only end up with 5-8 yard gains instead of 15-20 yard gains when we really have a well blocked play. Richardson would change that from day one.

Now if we can choose between an elite receiver like Floyd or Blackmon and Richardson, then I would definitely go the route of the bigger need. Same with a stud OLB. But other than that, why reach for a position of need and take an inferior player?! We struggle on offense and especially in the run game (bottom third of the league) and that has to be fixed...

IMO much better than Mark Ingram RB drafted by the Saints at 28 in 2010. SHonne Greene and Richardson are the same guy, the differance being that Trent has some serious break away speed.
    IMO Sanchez needs a running game to be effective, drafting Trent is a no brainer, the question for me , would Tanny trade up 6 spots to get Trent ( losing the second rounder in the process) ? Very tough

as pointed out the Jets usually use mid round picks on RBs not 1st rounders.

as for where he goes... it will come down to his 40 time. If he runs a 4.3 he goes in Adrian Peterson/Darren McFadden top 10 territory. if he runs a 4.5 he goes late 1 like Mark Ingram.

All Pro
    As far as Greene and Richardson, Greene is a one cut runner without any moves. He hits the hole, gets upfield and usually runs over the first tackler. Richardson has great lateral quickness and mobility in the hole.

As far as him dropping, I think all we can hope for is that not many teams in front of us are looking at a running back. The thing though is that I could see atleast two teams looking hard at Richardson and that are the Browns and the Bengals. Cleveland will most likely lose Peyton Hillis and Benson once again had trouble with the law and is getting older.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

better be selecting in the top 12 if you want a shot at Richardson....

40 time will have little effect on his draft grade unless he bombs in the mid 4.6's....the guy is a complete back that can grind on the inside, turn the corner or weave through the traffic and is a good receiver out of the backfield...he's a much better NFL prospect than Mark Ingram in a year that has almost no feature runners on the board...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    To me he is an elite running back prospect. He can do it all - run with power between the tackles and he can break into the open field. Great receiver, prototypical size, outstanding production. He is a game changer and he would make our running game dominant again and considering the identity of our team, we need that.

Of course it's not great to spend a first rounder on a RB but the other approach hasn't really worked last season. Greene has yet to prove that he can make a difference, Powell is unproven and McKnight is no more than a third down back. Our line actually opens up big holes but our RBs never take advantage of it. That's why we only end up with 5-8 yard gains instead of 15-20 yard gains when we really have a well blocked play. Richardson would change that from day one.

Now if we can choose between an elite receiver like Floyd or Blackmon and Richardson, then I would definitely go the route of the bigger need. Same with a stud OLB. But other than that, why reach for a position of need and take an inferior player?! We struggle on offense and especially in the run game (bottom third of the league) and that has to be fixed...
    this....

He's an absolute beast....I don't think there's a chance he falls to us, but if he somehow does, you take him in a heartbeat and don't look back

He's very similar to Ray Rice.....maybe even a little more shifty and elusive

I would look to pick up LaMichael James in the 3rd....He's going to be a good one

Veteran
    He is awesome but if we wait a year we can get Knile Davis who'll lead the sec in rushing again next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    As far as Greene and Richardson, Greene is a one cut runner without any moves. He hits the hole, gets upfield and usually runs over the first tackler. Richardson has great lateral quickness and mobility in the hole.

As far as him dropping, I think all we can hope for is that not many teams in front of us are looking at a running back. The thing though is that I could see atleast two teams looking hard at Richardson and that are the Browns and the Bengals. Cleveland will most likely lose Peyton Hillis and Benson once again had trouble with the law and is getting older.
    Both good spot for Richardson. Thursday , we get to see if Colt McCoy is an answer for the Browns, Cleveland could in the QB market again...

Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    He is awesome but if we wait a year we can get Knile Davis who'll lead the sec in rushing again next year.
    Nahh Marcus Lattimore sir

Could Davis declare for this year ?, he has been hurt all year, but a great pick if he last until the second round.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Nahh Marcus Lattimore sir
    It was Knile last with Lattimore close behind. If they're both healthy, it'll be a heck of a battle for sec rushing title.

It was Knile last with Lattimore close behind. If they're both healthy, it'll be a heck of a battle for sec rushing title.
    Agreed....Great seasons for both of us this year btw.....I wanted the Cotton Bowl, but technically, The Capital One bowl is just as good or better

Arkansas #6 and South Carolina #9, yet we don't get a BCS Bowl because of some dumb rule, while way worse teams like Clemson, West Virginia, Michigan, Virginia Tech get in

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    Could Davis declare for this year ?, he has been hurt all year, but a great pick if he last until the second round.
    K Davis is about 5 weeksahead of schedule for his recovery and is doing sprints and working with red shirts. Would be able to play in the Cotton Bowl( which by the way I hate, except that its at Jerrys house, awesome), but wont to keep is m.r.s.
    So no... he'll be a hog next year, a very fast, strong, 6'2" hog running over and around folks.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Agreed....Great seasons for both of us this year btw.....I wanted the Cotton Bowl, but technically, The Capital One bowl is just as good or better

Arkansas #6 and South Carolina #9, yet we don't get a BCS Bowl because of some dumb rule, while way worse teams like Clemson, West Virginia, Michigan, Virginia Tech get in
    I am hip my sec breathren. #23, #15, #13, and# 11 go to big money bowls. P!sees me off.

Who was that poster who was hyping Richardson as being better than Ingram his freshman year?

Quote Originally Posted by gangGREENinsider View Post
    Who was that poster who was hyping Richardson as being better than Ingram his freshman year?
    It's not that GGI fool he has no ideaaaaa what he's talking about

Jets Insider VIP
    If Richardson somehow fell to us then we would be nuts to pass on him.

As others have stated, probably the best all-around back to come out since Peterson.

I don't see Greene, McKnight, or Powell as the future at RB.