Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's Talk Trent Richardson

if we wind up between 17-19 then richardson could fall...i could see cleveland going after him with hillis likely gone after this year but they could also go QB in jones or barkley if they get to him...after cleveland there may not be any RB-needy teams

if richardson falls to us i think you have to take him, good complement to greene and with LT likely gone we need to revamp the 1-2 punch in the backfield

Undrafted Free Agent
    Montee Ball from Wisconsin if he declares early. Best back in the nation right now with tons of upside.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TundraJet View Post
    Montee Ball from Wisconsin if he declares early. Best back in the nation right now with tons of upside.
    He's not in Richardson's class.

Ball is a nice back, but he plays behind the best OL in CFB and he doesn't have the explosion that T-Rich does.

I'd love if they had a shot at Richardson... he's just not going to last that long. I can't see him falling into the 20s like Ingram did.

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    He's an absolute beast....I don't think there's a chance he falls to us, but if he somehow does, you take him in a heartbeat and don't look back

He's very similar to Ray Rice.....maybe even a little more shifty and elusive

I would look to pick up LaMichael James in the 3rd....He's going to be a good one
    I like the comparison to Ray Rice.

the way shonn greene is playing this would be a luxury pick

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    True yet it would certainly mean an upgrade. We can't just overlook Greene's struggles over the course of the entire year and last season. But I don't think we can pass up a talent like Richardson around the 20th pick (looks like we will be picking somewhere in that area). In the end he will be picked before us so the front office won't even have that decision to make...

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    True yet it would certainly mean an upgrade. We can't just overlook Greene's struggles over the course of the entire year and last season. But I don't think we can pass up a talent like Richardson around the 20th pick (looks like we will be picking somewhere in that area). In the end he will be picked before us so the front office won't even have that decision to make...
    it would be nice to get him but that's not a top 3 need for the jets. for round 1, i'm hoping for either a top OLB or OL. i'd rather they address wr and s in rounds 2 and 3.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post

Ball is a nice back, but he plays behind the best OL in CFB and he doesn't have the explosion that T-Rich does.

I'd love if they had a shot at Richardson... he's just not going to last that long. I can't see him falling into the 20s like Ingram did.
    Would you consider Ball in late 1st round, if Richardson is gone?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    Absolutely not. In the end we do not know who will available and which position will present the best value. Richardson definitely would be great value where we will likely pick. As for an OT or OLB, maybe there will be one aswell. But I don't think it is a good strategy to reach on a position if we do not like the player that much or he isn't good value. We will have to see how things shape out.

All Pro

The only reason why I could see Richardson dropping is because most teams don't need a running back. Many of the really bad teams either have a bigger need at QB (Washington, Indianapolis, Seattle, Cleveland, Miami) or already have a stud back playing for them (Minnesota, St. Louis, Jacksonville, Buffalo). In the end I think somebody will take Richardson as he is not only more talented than Ingram but is also widely known as a big time workout warrior. This guy lives in the weight room and physically extremely impressive.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by jpoppy7 View Post
    I think he might have 1st round ability, but I don't want him for the Jets.

There are so many other needs, OLB, S, RT. Aging vets like Scott and Moore will need to be replaced sooner rather than later too.

Ball would probably be a pretty fit for Cleveland at the top of the 2nd round.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    The only reason why I could see Richardson dropping is because most teams don't need a running back. Many of the really bad teams either have a bigger need at QB (Washington, Indianapolis, Seattle, Cleveland, Miami) or already have a stud back playing for them (Minnesota, St. Louis, Jacksonville, Buffalo). In the end I think somebody will take Richardson as he is not only more talented than Ingram but is also widely known as a big time workout warrior. This guy lives in the weight room and physically extremely impressive.
    Seattle - Lynch is their guy.
    Indy has Addai and Donald Brown, both 1st rounders. They're taking Luck anyways.
    Washington looks to have found their guy in Helu. But who knows.
    Miami has Bush and Daniel Thomas, taken in the 2nd round last year.
    Buffalo has Jackson and Spiller, a 10th overall pick
    St. Louis might try to get a replacement for Jackson at some point, and Richardson would be a perfect fit there IMO.

KC and the Giants are two teams I think would be possible landing places. But KC is probably going to be in the QB hunt now that they are getting a new HC.

I suppose there is a chance he's there for the Jets, but I don't think it will happen.

At this point, Richardson is atop my wishlist in the 1st round.

I think I'm done with drafting college DEs and making them OLBs for now.

All aboard the Richardson Bandwagon

There are so many other needs, OLB, S, RT. Aging vets like Scott and Moore will need to be replaced sooner rather than later too.
    i'm hoping the jets pick either burfect, upshaw, floyd or decastro.

I think I'm done with drafting college DEs and making them OLBs for now.
    How often have we done this? Gholston in recent times and that's it no?

Meanwhile many guys we (on the draft forums) have looked at have done really well.

RE Greene, the guy is playing great right now as Bit points out but he has never put a season together yet and you can't live on 5 good games a year.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    How often have we done this? Gholston in recent times and that's it no?

Meanwhile many guys we (on the draft forums) have looked at have done really well.

RE Greene, the guy is playing great right now as Bit points out but he has never put a season together yet and you can't live on 5 good games a year.
    It's not just the Jets that have me turned off to this idea.

There are way too many guys who fail, I don't have the figures or anything... but the bust rate for a DE/OLB convert seems much higher than if a player doesn't have to learn a new position.

Of course, I'll always trust the coaches and support the pick, but I've grown to dislike the idea quite a bit. I'd much rather take a high upside project type of guy in the 3rd or 4th since it's going to be a project anyway.

Many players have succeeded as you say, and that's great. On the other hand, just as many if not more have flopped and it's just a risk I'd rather not take in rds 1 and 2. With the Maybin emergence, I think it's less of a need anyway.

And I totally agree on Greene. I do think he's a quality RB. He's very good when he's all there, but he's not all there often enough for me. Way too injury prone and lacks the toughness needed for a guy who runs the way he does.

Greene certainly isn't good enough for me to pass on a special player like Richardson. Greene would be better served as the #2 anyway to keep both guys fresh.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Don't agree.

In this day and age unless you have a Ray Rice/Peterson/MJD type you need 2 good backs.

Greene is to limited to be a true #1 imo. He would be the ultimate 8-10 carries a game complement back, but doesnt have anough lateral movement/explosion to be a truely productive #1.

LaMichael James is entering the draft this year (despite what the school is saying right now). Looking at mock drafts, I've seen him go in the 3RD round which I think is way too low.

If he falls that low, I think he would be a perfect complementary back to Greene, which will also help Greene's game by giving Greene a rest.

we have other, greater needs and we've drafted RB's each of the past 3 years -- Greene, McKnight, Powell.

that being said, if Richardson is there when we pick he'll be very tough to pass on...

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    we have other, greater needs and we've drafted RB's each of the past 3 years -- Greene, McKnight, Powell.

that being said, if Richardson is there when we pick he'll be very tough to pass on...
    that, or teams will be calling the jets to trade.

over the years, teams that draft players based on value do best. if decastro is there and he's clearly the highest player on their board, take him and don't look back. you never know who you will find in FA, which draft picks will pan out, who you will trade for, who will get injured, etc. therefore you must draft the best players you can, with eye on addressing obvious areas of need. if anything, the gholston pick taught tanny you don't take a guy just b/c everyone says he's great, or b/c he came from a particular school or b/c his stats are nice, or even b/c you don't want your divisional rivals to get him. if richardson is the guy and he's there, ok, we're set for another decade of ground and pound.

ya know who is gonna be really good and wont be a first rounder?

Bernard Pierce, Temple

take him in the 3rd or 4th instead of Trent at 1st rd prices. better value and might have a better career.