Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Courtney Upshaw

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,862
    Post Thanks / Like

    Courtney Upshaw

    Seems like Upshaw could be an excellent fit for us as a versatile OLB who plays the run as well as the pass.

    I know most people want an elite "edge rusher" but there are very few of them in this draft and there certainly wont be any when we select in the first round.

    Upshaw has epxerience rushing the passer and playing coverage, and comes from a great defensive teacher in Saban. Seems like the perfect pick for us to get younger and faster at LB.

    Right now he is ranked in the 17-22 range of prospects....what are the chances he could fall to our pick? Or is he worth moving up a few spots for?

  2. #2
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,521
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have few concerns that Upshaw will be a starter in the NFL and a solid one at that. As already said, he is strong as a bull, a versatile player, has tons of experience, got violent hands, some moves... everything you look for in an OLB actually. But he is a subpar athlete by NFL standards (just from seeing him on TV so take it with a grain of salt).

    Now the ideal scenario if the Jets select him is that he is the complete LB we all know he can be and Aaron Maybin develops into an everydown player. That would be a great combination at OLB and we would be prepared for losing Pace at some point in the future. Maybin brings the speed and athletisism and Upshaw the brute strength and run stopping ability while also providing solid enough pass rush.

    But if we count on Upshaw to really be a game changer in the front seven, the player that opponents have to scheme for and everything, then I just don't see it. I just have my doubts that he would really solve one of the biggest problems we got in the front seven which is a LACK OF ATHLETISISM. We get gushed on runs to the outside, speedsters give us trouble, we are a step slow and we get older at key positions (Pace, Scott, Pouha).

    In the end, he would be a solid pick, low risk but I also think he doesn't have a very high floor... just my opinion...

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    if there was a vegas line on who the Jets would draft in 2012, Courtney Upshaw would be the favorite.

    He's value for late 1st where they are likely to pick, he's a rare OLB that actually played in the 3-4 (don't have to convert), he's from a football factory and he's value.

    even if Aaron Maybin becomes a superstar this is still a need position as Calvin Pace is injury prone and about the same age as Bryan Thomas.

  4. #4
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I have few concerns that Upshaw will be a starter in the NFL and a solid one at that. As already said, he is strong as a bull, a versatile player, has tons of experience, got violent hands, some moves... everything you look for in an OLB actually. But he is a subpar athlete by NFL standards (just from seeing him on TV so take it with a grain of salt).

    Now the ideal scenario if the Jets select him is that he is the complete LB we all know he can be and Aaron Maybin develops into an everydown player. That would be a great combination at OLB and we would be prepared for losing Pace at some point in the future. Maybin brings the speed and athletisism and Upshaw the brute strength and run stopping ability while also providing solid enough pass rush.

    But if we count on Upshaw to really be a game changer in the front seven, the player that opponents have to scheme for and everything, then I just don't see it. I just have my doubts that he would really solve one of the biggest problems we got in the front seven which is a LACK OF ATHLETISISM. We get gushed on runs to the outside, speedsters give us trouble, we are a step slow and we get older at key positions (Pace, Scott, Pouha).

    In the end, he would be a solid pick, low risk but I also think he doesn't have a very high floor... just my opinion...
    There is nothing that I would rather read about a player then he is an excellent football player, but considered a "subpar" athlete.....thats a recipe for draft day value and NFL success.

    He does have 9 sacks this year (albeit on a ridiculously talented defense) which seems to me that he can translate into an above average pass rusher....not a demarcus ware, but definitely a good blitzer which is what we would want him to be.

  5. #5
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,521
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    There is nothing that I would rather read about a player then he is an excellent football player, but considered a "subpar" athlete.....thats a recipe for draft day value and NFL success.

    He does have 9 sacks this year (albeit on a ridiculously talented defense) which seems to me that he can translate into an above average pass rusher....not a demarcus ware, but definitely a good blitzer which is what we would want him to be.
    Good point and as I said, he would definitely be a solid, good value pick. But I question how we are supposed to improve in one huge area of concern which is team speed and athletisism on defense.

    BTW he is not a guy who gets pressure by blitzing. He is a guy who outmuscles and outfights the offensive tackle with leverage and his violent hands. Not a speed guy as I said but definitely a rusher who should also translate to the NFL.

  6. #6
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Good point and as I said, he would definitely be a solid, good value pick. But I question how we are supposed to improve in one huge area of concern which is team speed and athletisism on defense.

    BTW he is not a guy who gets pressure by blitzing. He is a guy who outmuscles and outfights the offensive tackle with leverage and his violent hands. Not a speed guy as I said but definitely a rusher who should also translate to the NFL.
    I was picturing him more as a standup OLB that rushes on 3rd down, occupying the OT and hopefully using his strength to get a good push into the backfield and allow for a DB to come in behind him.

    While not the speediest player in the draft, im sure he would be faster then bryan thomas on opening day 2012.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    20,741
    Post Thanks / Like
    When assessing olbs for the NFL I care almost zero about coverage ability. It's like talking about the return ability of an elite corner, he'll stay there until he gets demolished a few times.

    I want a pass rusher, not another Calvin Pace that can get you 5 or 6 sacks, be responsible in the run game etc. If this dude can get after the QB I'm all in favor if not then I'm not sure.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    Upshaw is number 2 on my wish list (Burfict obviously being number 1). It's apparent that he doesn't have an explosive first step, but neither does Lamarr Woodley and he racks up sacks. As far his pass rush abilities go, I think it's pretty good. Not being blessed with insane quickness, he has to use his hands and other moves to get after the QB, and does so pretty well.

    In sum, Upshaw may not be the fastest cat, but he would bring a nice physicality to the run defense along with a "decent" pass rush. That said, I don't envision him as a huge impact player, but could be a solid ten-year starter type. If we're picking in the 20s (or lower, fingers crossed), I'm sold.

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,930
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Upshaw is number 2 on my wish list (Burfict obviously being number 1). It's apparent that he doesn't have an explosive first step, but neither does Lamarr Woodley and he racks up sacks. As far his pass rush abilities go, I think it's pretty good. Not being blessed with insane quickness, he has to use his hands and other moves to get after the QB, and does so pretty well.

    In sum, Upshaw may not be the fastest cat, but he would bring a nice physicality to the run defense along with a "decent" pass rush. That said, I don't envision him as a huge impact player, but could be a solid ten-year starter type. If we're picking in the 20s (or lower, fingers crossed), I'm sold.
    Oh yes he does. Coming out, people questioned his speed, but his explosion numbers at his pro day (38.5" vertical) were excellent.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,221
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^ Okay, fair point. But from the naked eye, he doesn't seem to have the same quickness as a Von Miller, Demarcus Ware, Clay Matthews, etc., which I would think explains why he slipped to the middle of the second round.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,994
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Good point and as I said, he would definitely be a solid, good value pick. But I question how we are supposed to improve in one huge area of concern which is team speed and athletisism on defense.

    BTW he is not a guy who gets pressure by blitzing. He is a guy who outmuscles and outfights the offensive tackle with leverage and his violent hands. Not a speed guy as I said but definitely a rusher who should also translate to the NFL.
    He sounds something like Orakpo from your description. He would be a good fit for the Jets D.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,474
    Post Thanks / Like
    How do people feel about Brandon Jenkins? Has athleticism, production, and comes from FSU, which has a solid pedigree. He is excellent at rushing the passer, a little bit lost when it comes to coverage. But as beerfish said that really shouldn't be a huge criteria for an OLB in a 3-4.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Similar to LaMarr Woodley as a prospect IMO. I like him early in the 2nd. Really early in the second...I do think he'll put up solid workout numbers anyway, just like Woodley did. I might agree that he's as high as #2 on my wishlist for the Jets...He's one of those guys who just makes sense in this D.

    Mo, I like Jenkins but I think he's a project type rather than first rounder. That said, to be perfectly honest I think that mostly because I like him. His flaws suck, but the raw talent is pretty sweet.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 12-08-2011 at 02:49 AM.

  14. #14
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any thoughts on Alex Okafor from Texas?

  15. #15
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    25,536
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really like Upshaw, but my #1 guy would still have to be Vinny Curry.

    Maybe the best pure passrusher in the draft. If Maybin continues to progress, then he and Curry could give us a potentially lethal set of OLB's and solve our pass rush problems for years to come.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I really like Upshaw, but my #1 guy would still have to be Vinny Curry.

    Maybe the best pure passrusher in the draft. .
    we will see. the problem with Curry is he hasn't beaten any decent NFL OT prospects to get those sacks. He's going to the Senior Bowl tho and will have a chance against better competition. My guess is when it's all said and done Upshaw gets drafted before Curry. but there's obviously alot of time for that to change.

  17. #17
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I really like Upshaw, but my #1 guy would still have to be Vinny Curry.

    Maybe the best pure passrusher in the draft. If Maybin continues to progress, then he and Curry could give us a potentially lethal set of OLB's and solve our pass rush problems for years to come.
    I have him and Curry together in my head. Curry is closer to the ideal physically while Upshaw has pedigree. One of these two will separate from the other if they haven't already with Curry ahead.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4,862
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I have him and Curry together in my head. Curry is closer to the ideal physically while Upshaw has pedigree. One of these two will separate from the other if they haven't already with Curry ahead.
    I hope curry tests off the charts and pushes himself in front of upshaw, increasing the chances upshaw falls to us.

    I know we are all looking for that dominant pass rusher, but with maybin and wilkerson getting full offseasons with the team I think our pass rush overall will improve enough that a fundamentally strong player like upshaw is a better move for the team.

    I can easily envision maybin, wilkerson, ellis, upshaw and pace being a very solid 5 man rush group (some combo of 3 DL and 2 OLB or 4DL and 1 LB standing up). Especially if upshaw is experienced enough to occasionally drop into coverage and let us blitz a DB from the side opposite him.

  19. #19
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I have him and Curry together in my head. Curry is closer to the ideal physically while Upshaw has pedigree. One of these two will separate from the other if they haven't already with Curry ahead.

    for those keeping track, Vinny Curry has 24 career sacks, best in the current draft crop (i haven't found anyone in the nation with more... still searching tho)

    http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetai...=388&player=99

    Courtney upshaw has 16 sacks in his career, another very good number

    http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetai...rg=8&player=41

    but to put these numbers in perspective

    Ryan Kerrigan had 32

    http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetai...=559&player=94

    and Von Miller had 31
    http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/playerDetai...=697&player=40

  20. #20
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I hope curry tests off the charts and pushes himself in front of upshaw, increasing the chances upshaw falls to us.

    I know we are all looking for that dominant pass rusher, but with maybin and wilkerson getting full offseasons with the team I think our pass rush overall will improve enough that a fundamentally strong player like upshaw is a better move for the team.

    I can easily envision maybin, wilkerson, ellis, upshaw and pace being a very solid 5 man rush group (some combo of 3 DL and 2 OLB or 4DL and 1 LB standing up). Especially if upshaw is experienced enough to occasionally drop into coverage and let us blitz a DB from the side opposite him.
    I think coming away with either Upshaw or Curry would be a coup for this D. That said, I can see what you're saying about Upshaw there in the second part.

    They should just get Mario Williams away from the Texans.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 12-09-2011 at 03:55 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us