Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So What Percentile is YOUR Household?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4268865]...I have to save in excess of 1.2 to 1.5 million, so much of my income goes there. [/QUOTE]

Which would be easier to do, if you spent more time working and less time posting on football message boards.

Shouldn't this board be full of welfare recipients during working hours? Posting nonsense like me on their government issued iPads? :dunno:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4268901]Which would be easier to do, if you spent more time working and less time posting on football message boards.

Shouldn't this board be full of welfare recipients during working hours? Posting nonsense like me on their government issued iPads? :dunno:[/QUOTE]

Hey.... Im having some granite put in my kitchen. Can you come down and hook up the cook top and plumbing?;)

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4268903]Hey.... Im having some granite put in my kitchen. Can you come down and hook up the cook top and plumbing?;)[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="White"]And then have Betsy dance on top of it...maybe?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=southparkcpa;4268903]Hey.... Im having some granite put in my kitchen. Can you come down and hook up the cook top and plumbing?;)[/QUOTE]

Only if the granite guy drills out the holes for the faucet. :D

I don't touch granite if I can avoid it. Water can stain the stuff

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4268901]Which would be easier to do, if you spent more time working and less time posting on football message boards.

Shouldn't this board be full of welfare recipients during working hours? Posting nonsense like me on their government issued iPads? :dunno:[/QUOTE]

Why do you assume that everyone here works the same hours/schedule as you?

I was usually about 7% before the divorce, might even squeak into the 2.8% this year but if I am calculating right I will be about 16% after the divorce is finalized next year.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Trades;4269016]Why do you assume that everyone here works the same hours/schedule as you? [/QUOTE]

I dunno.

Probably for the same reason you assume people who don't make 100k a year are lazy deadbeat welfare recipients :dunno: :P

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4269030]I dunno.

Probably for the same reason you assume people who don't make 100k a year are lazy deadbeat welfare recipients :dunno: :P[/QUOTE]

I don't. The line for getting welfare is much lower than $100k.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Trades;4269038]I don't. The line for getting welfare is much lower than $100k.[/QUOTE]

Depends

[QUOTE][B][SIZE="5"]Seattle chiropractor, wife received welfare while living in $1.2 million waterfront home
    [/SIZE][/B]
    A Seattle chiropractor and his wife live in a $1.2 million waterfront home and have spent the past eight years flying to Moscow, Paris, Israel, Turkey, Mexico and the Dominican Republic.

All the while, federal authorities say, the couple was collecting more than $100,000 in welfare.

Now, the U.S. attorney's office is suing David Silverstein and Lyudmila Shimonova, accusing them of filing false claims and demanding that the couple pay back more than $135,000 in federal housing assistance since 2003. Prosecutors are also seeking tens of thousands of dollars in fines.

In gaining Section 8 housing assistance, Shimonova represented that she lived alone with her two children and that her household assets were less than $5,000. Silverstein received the monthly benefits of $1,272 as Shimonova's purported landlord, the government said.

Shimonova also received benefits under the federal Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program, as well as Social Security cash reserved for people who can't work due to age or disability and whose assets fall below a certain threshold _ $3,000 for a married couple or $2,000 for a single person, the complaint said.

"Defendants have separately and, it appears, in conjunction with one another made false representations to various state and federal agencies in order to obtain federally funded benefits," assistant U.S. attorneys Harold Malkin and Kayla Stahman wrote.

Meanwhile, they were traveling the world, according to Department of Homeland Security records.

Michael Radyshewsky, a federal welfare fraud investigator, wrote in an application to search the couple's home that they took weeklong trips to Moscow in 2003, Dominican Republic in 2005, and Mexico and France in 2009. In 2007, they went for 12 days to Israel, and this past June they took a two-week trip to Turkey.

Silverstein said Tuesday his lawyer asked him not to comment, and his lawyer, David Allen, did not immediately return a message. The home did not appear to have a listed phone number, and Shimonova's lawyer, Michele Shaw, did not return an email seeking comment.

The investigation included surveillance of the three-bedroom, 2,300-square-foot home on Lake Washington, during which agents observed his black Jaguar parked there frequently.

Though Shimonova had claimed she was single and lived there alone, Silverstein listed it as his residence on his driver's license and passport application, the prosecutors said.

But in documents filed so that he could receive the housing assistance, he listed his office as his residence to conceal that he was living with Shimonova _ not her landlord, they said.

Furthermore, it appeared clear that the pair was actually married. Silverstein wrote on the website of his chiropractic business: "On a personal note, I am happily married with two children, whose careers are in medicine and Middle Eastern studies. As a family, we all enjoy snow-shoeing, mountain climbing and ocean sports."

A report of the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle for the 2010 fiscal year listed "Mila and Dr. David Silverstein" as donors.

In addition to failing to disclose the marriage or living situation, Shimonova also failed to disclose bank accounts in her name containing tens of thousands of dollars, prosecutors said.

The lawsuit seeks to have the couple pay $11,000 in fines for each false claim the couple made. The U.S. attorney's office declined to comment on whether criminal charges are forthcoming.

[url]http://www.newser.com/article/d9rfctio0/feds-seattle-chiropractor-wife-received-welfare-while-living-in-12-million-waterfront-home.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4269048]Depends[/QUOTE]

So you bring out 1 article but all we have to do is show the list of lifers on welfare to hold up our arguement. Receiving welfare should not be a career.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Trades;4269120]So you bring out 1 article but all we have to do is show the list of lifers on welfare to hold up our arguement. Receiving welfare should not be a career.[/QUOTE]

It was a joke, brother...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4268845]im in the 7th percent.

i dont know how this information will be used against me but Im sure it will[/QUOTE]

we're plotting right now! bwahahaha!

:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4268900]But doesn't change the fact that a federal or state worker, retiring at 55 would need 1.5 million banked to have the guaranteed pension they take for granted.

I LOVE how these employees accrue unused sick time also. 20 years of 10 unused sick days and they walk out with a check for basically there annual compensation. NO PRIVATE company does that. NONE!

Wonder why?[/QUOTE]

Federal workers are on the FERS, look it up and maybe just once you could use some facts with your bs rants.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=shakin318;4268677]Well, according to that chart, me and the wifey are 2.87 percenters....but that's in Nassau County, Long Island, which definitely dilutes "wealth" significantly. I LOL at anyone who can even remotely categorize us as "rich." We hover around middle-middle class as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

+1.
    I'm a Nassau resident too, and the wife and I barely make the top 10% cut. Sounds like a comfortable income, but not here. Middle class.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=parkwayjet1;4270008]+1.
    I'm a Nassau resident too, and the wife and I barely make the top 10% cut. Sounds like a comfortable income, but not here. Middle class.[/QUOTE]

You and shakin are the evil , rich , living in wealth self denial!;)

Need some clarification on the income. What if a chunk of it is nontaxable? Does that effect the calcuation of percentage category?

1.5%er here.

[QUOTE=shakin318;4268677]....but that's in Nassau County, Long Island, which definitely dilutes "wealth" significantly. I LOL at anyone who can even remotely categorize us as "rich." We hover around middle-middle class as far as I'm concerned.[/QUOTE]

I don't know how we can honestly quantify that? I mean, say I lived in Beverly Hills and made 1mil per year, couldn't I say the same thing since cost of living is so high there? Or what if I had twelve kids and my cost of living was higher? Does that get included too?

I just think we have to use common sense over just income and cost of living.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4268836]Wyour post does raise the issue of how we define "middle class" specificly.

Middle Class, if we look at the chart and use the general difinition of middle, would be what, the central 1/3 of the chart? So (eyeballing it here) $30,000 to $60,000 houshold income, or thereabouts.

[/QUOTE]

I think you kind of hit the nail on the head there, I would agree that for the most part somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 per person.

I think the main problem isn't our definition but the fact that wages just have not gone up as fast as the cost of living in many areas.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4268900]But doesn't change the fact that a federal or state worker, retiring at 55 would need 1.5 million banked to have the guaranteed pension they take for granted.

I LOVE how these employees accrue unused sick time also. 20 years of 10 unused sick days and they walk out with a check for basically there annual compensation. NO PRIVATE company does that. NONE!

Wonder why?[/QUOTE]

I am one of those awful Federal workers, blue collar however......36 years service and still working although could have retired a couple of years ago....

I guess i was just a dope for looking for something with security and good benefits all those years ago to do the best for my family, had i known i was going to be responsible for the collapse of the US economic system i would have resigned....:)

At least give me credit for paying taxes for all those years ;)....Put 7% into my pension which is a generous one.....No social security however....

36 years and around the 20% with wifes salary included....By the way the accrued sick leave is not given to employees as a money pay out.....For myself the 11 months or so i have accrued is added on in time to my years of service which would add about 2% to my pension.....Very generous again i agree...

What would you have done? Should i have refused these benefits ?....These benefits were approved by Congress since the Feds have no collective barganing rights except in a few cases like the Post Office......Cannot negoiate pay, it is decided by Congress and the POTUS.....
    Last edited by jetsmetsrangers; 12-11-2011 at 07:15 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=jetsmetsrangers;4271077]I am one of those awful Federal workers, blue collar however......36 years service and still working although could have retired a couple of years ago....

I guess i was just a dope for looking for something with security and good benefits all those years ago to do the best for my family, had i known i was going to be responsible for the collapse of the US economic system i would have resigned....:)

At least give me credit for paying taxes for all those years ;)....Put 7% into my pension which is a generous one.....No social security however....

36 years and around the 20%....By the way the accrued sick leave is not given to employees as a money pay out.....For myself the 11 months or so i have accrued is added on in time to my years of service which would add about 2% to my pension.....Very generous again i agree...

What would you have done? Should i have refused these benefits ?....These benefits were approved by Congress since the Feds have no collective barganing rights except in a few cases like the Post Office......Cannot negoiate pay, it is decided by Congress and the POTUS.....[/QUOTE]

I totally agree.

My simple point is that if ALL government workers could NOT accrue vacation or sick time beyond 2 weeks AND could NOT receive full retirement pay that so far exceeds the private sector their would be NO shortage of applicants.

Government compensation is exactly why we have a budget deficit. It is exactly why the private sector doesnt do it. Labor costs are so far the number ONE cost in this countrys budget and congress won't reduce these costs for fear.

SHAME ...

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4271080]I totally agree.

My simple point is that if ALL government workers could NOT accrue vacation or sick time beyond 2 weeks AND could NOT receive full retirement pay that so far exceeds the private sector their would be NO shortage of applicants.

Government compensation is exactly why we have a budget deficit. It is exactly why the private sector doesnt do it. Labor costs are so far the number ONE cost in this countrys budget and congress won't reduce these costs for fear.

SHAME ...[/QUOTE]

The govt can't ship these jobs overseas. My pay is capped as are all of our high level managers. The private sector managers are making 343 x's more than their workers.

Jetsmets is probably on the old retirement system as well.