Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tyson Chandler near deal with Knicks. Amare to N.O.???

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Tyson Chandler near deal with Knicks. Amare to N.O.???

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...ks-sources-say

In the latest twist of his expected departure from the Dallas Mavericks, Tyson Chandler is closing in on a deal with the New York Knicks, according to sources close to the process.

"New York is Tyson's first choice," one source told ESPN.com, confirming a Thursday report from CBSSports.com that the Knicks have jumped ahead of the Golden State Warriors in the race to sign Chandler.

"It's 98 percent sure that Tyson is going to wind up with the Knicks."

To create sufficient salary-cap space to sign Chandler, New York is expected to shed the contracts of Chauncey Billups and Ronny Turiaf, through either trades or the forthcoming amnesty clause.

Signing Chandler, sources said, could free up the Knicks to offer star forward Amare Stoudemire to the New Orleans Hornets in a trade scenario for Chris Paul, who badly wants to reunite with Chandler after their time together with the Hornets.

CSNBayArea.com reported that the Warriors are trying to sweeten a four-year offer to Chandler valued at $60 million to outbid the Knicks.

If that's really the plan I'm not happy at all with it. Chandler is really a role player, granted a good one, but he's still just a role player who grabs boards, blocks shots and is a big body you can stick in the paint. He has no offensive game.

Even if the Knicks don't get Paul they still have Billups who is a good player that comes off the books after this season. If they can't sign Paul they can sign Raymond Felton instead.

Amare + Billups/Felton > Paul + Chandler

YES to signing Chandler -- a MASSIVE improvement in terms of team defense and rebounding, allows Amare to play his natural PF spot.

NO to trading Amare -- the only dude in the NBA with big enough balls to take on the challenge of resurrecting NY Knicks basketball by himself.

STAT, Melo, Chandler = best frontcourt in the league.

now we only need to figure out the guard spots

This would be awesome...big defender down low who grabs boards and doesn't care about offense....and it would make Carmelo out go to, and we'd have someone to orchestrate the offense in CP3.

Also, we'd have a little more financial leeway in getting role players.

I'm reading a lot of mixed opinions about dealing A'mare, but if he gets the deal done, then pull the trigger, no question. It'll be interesting to see what other pieces are involved if this is accurate.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    YES to signing Chandler -- a MASSIVE improvement in terms of team defense and rebounding, allows Amare to play his natural PF spot.

NO to trading Amare -- the only dude in the NBA with big enough balls to take on the challenge of resurrecting NY Knicks basketball by himself.

Was that it? Or was it the fact that the Knicks were willing to fork over $$$$$ uninsured for a guy who's knees can give out at any minute?

I know Amare is talented, but I would have no issues trading him for CP3.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post

+1

You gotta love Amare's bravado in taking on an enormous challenge in New York. This is how we repay him? By trading him for a PG?

Carmelo, Amare and Chandler is a nasty frontcourt. Billups and Fields in the backcourt will do a good job. Baron Davis will be available next off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by greenwichjetfan View Post
    This would be awesome...big defender down low who grabs boards and doesn't care about offense....and it would make Carmelo out go to, and we'd have someone to orchestrate the offense in CP3.

Also, we'd have a little more financial leeway in getting role players.
    Not really. I'm not too familiar with all the rules of the new CBA but most likely CP3 would need a $100+ mil deal similar to what Amare got plus now you're giving reportedly another $50-60 mil to Tyson Chandler. So where's this financial flex coming from? Billups and Turiaf were both coming off the books after this season anyway.

Paul is younger than Amare however. Probably only reason I'd like this move. Hopefully Knicks can still get a PF who can score in the low post.
    Last edited by TerminatorJet; 12-08-2011 at 02:49 PM.

Chandler would really complete the frontcourt, STAT, Melo, and him is beastly. However, I want no part of trading STAT and I want no part of them using the amnesty to dump Billups or Turiaf. Figure out a way to get Chandler without using that.

Edit: I shouldn't say I want no part of using the amnesty, but I really hope they find trade solutions.
    Last edited by DevsJetsYanks88; 12-08-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfreak10 View Post
    Was that it? Or was it the fact that the Knicks were willing to fork over $$$$$ uninsured for a guy who's knees can give out at any minute?

I know Amare is talented, but I would have no issues trading him for CP3.
    the Knicks were gonna give a max deal to someone.

Amare was the only one who took it.

and FYI -- CP3's knees are uninsured, as well.

All Pro
    4/58 for Chandler is dangerous. Injury concerns aside, he is limited offensively and I know the Knicks have 2 great scorers but for that money, youd like a little more offense.

This seems like a move to block Paul from the Warriors honestly. They werent involved in this at all until it looked like Steph Curry may be traded for CP3. Golden State wanted Chandler to pair up with Paul and make it more enticing for Paul to sign an extension.

I would love the signing of Tyson, but Im not a fan of losing Amare. Like many have already stated, Melo, Amare and Chandler would form for the best overall NBA frontcourt. We would dominate the boards with Melo at SF, Amare at PF and Chandler at Center. Cant forget about Fields either, who was one of the top rebounding guards as a rookie last season. We ranked I believe 4th in blocks last year, so with the addition of a true defensive center such as Chandler, NY would begin to contest shots down low like the Knick teams of the 90s. We could have a strong frontcourt of Melo, Amare and Chandler, to go along with scrappy backcourt full of defensive minded guards in TD23, Fields and rookie Shumpert.

I learned during the early 90s, with guys such as Starks, Mason, Oakley and Ewing, how pivotal and crucial defensive ability and rebounding on the boards have always been. Knick fans have always taken pride in our teams ability to defend on the defensive side of the ball. Defense is on the verge of coming back to NY.

Why would we need a max contract at the PG position, when last year with Felton, Douglas, and an oftern injured Billups, the Knicks ranked 2nd in offensive scoring with 106.6 points per game? Like scoring or offensive ability is a concern, when you have two of the NBAs top 5-10 scorers in Carmelo and Amare.

CP3 is a want, not a need.

But yet, NY ranked 27th, allowing 105.7 points per game. 26th in FG% against. Since we were awful on defense, we were forced to foul down low. We ranked 25th, allowing teams an average of 26.4 free throw attempts per game. We ranked 21st in offensive rebounds per game. 26th in offensive rebounds against. 18th in defensive rebounds per game. 28th in defensive rebounds against. 19th in total rebounds per game. 28th in total rebounds against. Great rebounding teams, such as Chicago, had a +471 differential. The Knicks ranked 28th in boarding, with a -293 DIFF.

Chandler is a 7 foot 1 inch defensive center who ranked 10th overall in rebounding last year, and his overall defensive ability is strong for a big man.

With all that said, the NBA is still a business. If Amare never complained about being due $18,217,705 this year, I wouldnt cry if we moved Amare for CP3 (while keeping our younger pieces) to form a trio of CP3, Melo and Tyson at the PG, SF and C positions.

Regardless, if we land Chandler, hopefully we sign Grant Hill to come off the bench as a veteral role player.
    Last edited by NY-Jets; 12-08-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Boca Raton, FL / Surrendered my PSL's biatches
    FWIW Bob just broke that the Lakers have a deal done in principle for Paul

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DevsJetsYanks88 View Post
    Chandler would really complete the frontcourt, STAT, Melo, and him is beastly. However, I want no part of trading STAT and I want no part of them using the amnesty to dump Billups or Turiaf. Figure out a way to get Chandler without using that.

Edit: I shouldn't say I want no part of using the amnesty, but I really hope they find trade solutions.
    Using the amnesty on Chauncey seems pointless. Hes an expiring contract. He has value. I mean, you want the amnesty to be used on guys like Gilbert Arenas. Can they save the amnesty in case Chandler blows up in their face?

EDIT: Looked it up. They can pocket it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    Using the amnesty on Chauncey seems pointless. Hes an expiring contract. He has value. I mean, you want the amnesty to be used on guys like Gilbert Arenas. Can they save the amnesty in case Chandler blows up in their face.
    Exactly. Foolish to waste it on a expiring contract, but that is an option that is being thrown around. Hopefully they don't decide to do that.

Chris Paul to the Lakers.

Thursday, December 8, 2011
    Sources: Chris Paul to Lakers

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

The Los Angeles Lakers have agreed to surrender Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom in a trade for New Orleans Hornets point guard Chris Paul, sources tell ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Sources close to the process tell Stein that the Houston Rockets remain part of the talks and are trying to complete a deal that would send Gasol to Houston and the Rockets' Luis Scola, Kevin Martin and Goran Dragic to New Orleans, along with Odom.

In Paul, the Lakers would be getting an All-Star and U.S. Olympic Team member who has averaged 37.1 minutes, 18.7 points and 9.9 assists a game in his six seasons.

Paul can opt out of his current contract with New Orleans after this season, and the Hornets have been fielding trade offers in an effort to acquire new players for the star guard rather than letting him walk in free agency.

Paul averaged 15.8 points and 9.8 assists last season.

The Rockets, who lost Yao Ming to retirement, covet Gasol, while the Hornets do not, increasing the likelihood Gasol won't stay in New Orleans, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

Furthermore, the Rockets have young talent the rebuilding pieces Hornets general manager Dell Demps wanted in a trade for Paul, namely, young talent such as Martin and a protected future first-round pick Houston acquired from the New York Knicks. The Hornets would look to acquire that pick as part of the proposed deal, the source told Bucher.

Speaking earlier Thursday, Hornets president Hugh Weber said the franchise has been preparing for months for the possibility that Paul would resist signing an extension in New Orleans, a move that would all but force a trade.

"We've been preparing for this moment for over a year and it's not like we were surprised or caught flat-footed," Weber said. "This is not a surprise. This is not something where we've been sitting around waiting to see what would happen. We've been managing this and taking control of the situation as best we can and we're going to have a team that we believe achieves that objective of making this community proud."

While he never said publicly that he wanted to play in a larger market, he did say before last season that he wants to play for a team that has a chance to contend for a title right away -- something he should get when he joins Kobe Bryant and the Lakers.

The Hornets have been owned by the NBA since last December, when the league bought the club from founder George Shinn.

Despite the lockout and uncertainty over Paul's future, fan support has been building in New Orleans, where the team has advertised their season-ticket drive as an effort to lure a permanent local buyer who is committed to keeping the team in Louisiana.

The Hornets have increased their season ticket base from a little more than 6,000 last season to just over 10,019 as of Thursday afternoon.

Owners and players ratified a new collective bargaining agreement Thursday, the final step to ending the five-month lockout and paving the way for training camps and free agency to open Friday.

There was hope in small markets like New Orleans that after the lockout it would be easier for teams to hold on to their biggest stars. However, that apparently is not the case.

If this deal is approved one of the NBA's biggest stars from the league-owned small-market Hornets will be moving to one of the NBA's largest, richest markets.

Paul was drafted by the Hornets fourth overall out of Wake Forest in 2005.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this story.

Well the NBA...they own the Hornets...have killed the CP3 Lakers trade.

The integrity of the league has been significantly damaged.
    What a disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by Santonio View Post

What a disgrace.
    Not a surprise Stern has been doing this for years the only difference is this time he had to do this publicly due to the circumstances.

All Pro

What a disgrace.
    Complete joke, lol - how can a sport do this and keep it's credibility...if the crooked refs hadn't already done that...

Jets Insider VIP

What a disgrace.
    ROFLMAO

It's hysterical that anyone thought that the NBA had any integrity or credibility before this happened