Thread: Map of Jersey: Where Do You Live?

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Map of Jersey: Where Do You Live?

[url]http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2011/12/jersey_journal_readers_weigh_i.html[/url]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Pwnf4.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by Traitor Jay & the Woodies; 12-09-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[IMG]http://frugalosopher.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/pile-of-money.gif[/IMG]

And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the money, you make.

SAR I

Can't trust a map with "wife beather" or a map that thinks that there are "hipsters" in West New York and Union City.

Practice Squad
    pretty accurate for west windsor = right on the border of lawyers driving hybrids and old people and asians

Was the map created by a KKK member? Just curious. Horribly Racist undertones are overtones here.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4270712]Was the map created by a KKK member? Just curious. Horribly Racist undertones are overtones here.[/QUOTE]

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/philadelphia/jersey-map-goes-viral-175102166.html?bouchon=501,ny[/url]

[QUOTE]This must be a difficult time for New Jersey. You see, in addition to finding out that they're harboring the second most dangerous city in America (for the second year in a row), they've now got a traitor in their midst. His name is Joe Steinfield, and he is hilarious.

Well, I guess that depends on whether or not you live in one of his satirical regions of New Jersey and/or take offense to being lumped in with "Canadians and Philly Trash" (aka Wildwood according to Steinfield's map. (click here for full map).

Earlier this week, Steinfield posted a carefully constructed map of New Jersey describing the various regions of the state according to their perceived stereotype. The map quickly went viral on Reddit, garnering almost one million views in just one day.

Some of the descriptions are, frankly, spot-on, others are borderline offensive, albeit, highly amusing. The Keansburg area, for instance, is now "Where They Filmed Clerks," while Atlantic City is renamed to "Sad Black People And Misguided Tourists." The southern border of the state is referred to as "Swamps and Toxic Waste" and, in what is perhaps my favorite, the eastern area of Washington and Phillipsburg is simply described as "Hill People."

After NBC ran their obligatory "man on the street" piece asking natives their thoughts on the map (don't they know that's even worse for Jersey's image?), [B]Steinfield made a statement, "It was never meant to be taking seriously. I do regret that I offended a few people, however, for the most part, the feedback I've been getting is very positive."

NBC also noted Steinfield works part-time for the Department of Environmental Protection, which, if I know anything about Jersey, means he'll be picking up trash on the AC Expressway from now until March[/B].

[/QUOTE]

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4270712]Was the map created by a KKK member? Just curious. Horribly Racist undertones are overtones here.[/QUOTE]

I think people realize that this was done as a joke. If we can't laugh at ourselves . . .

I think people are way to hyper-sensitive these days.

god someone posted this on Facebook the other day. I live in the Happy White People area. I have a big issue with some of this. Point used to be such a nice area before they started filming there. Should just say MTV. Ghetto in the woods? Has he ever been to those town? God country maybe because the blue laws are stupid there. Ghetto? And what the heck does McMansions mean? Freehold is really not that good of an area. Chop shop central maybe. JEWS really? That is a larger part of the state. That working class area that I grew up in. Yeah add that whole thing. OK basically the whole sure line.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4270748]I think people realize that this was done as a joke. If we can't laugh at ourselves . . .

I think people are way to hyper-sensitive these days.[/QUOTE]

Not me. Wasn't offended personally, but I'm quite Libertarian when it comes to such things. I was more suprised it would have passed editorial muster and get published.

I supose it's easier to not be offended when I'm not a resident of the many negatively-described locales, and I'm not a minority (Racially or ethnicly).

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4270758]Not me. Wasn't offended personally, but I'm quite Libertarian when it comes to such things. I was more suprised it would have passed editorial muster and get published.

I supose it's easier to not be offended when I'm not a resident of the many negatively-described locales, and I'm not a minority (Racially or ethnicly).[/QUOTE]

I am a minority and one of the people poked fun at in that picture. Although I am from NY. I can see why some people may get offended but I try to keep things in context.

Im just not sensitive to a lot of this stuff. My mother taught me at a young age about the "sticks and stones" and it left a real impression. What people say really doesn't bother me.

I don't find it offensive at all (it was an attempt at humor) as much as I find it inaccurate, which ruins the comical value of it. Since it's inaccurate (making it harder to laugh at) AND some people are finding it offensive, [U]I can guarantee you that he will be terminated this upcoming week by the DEP[/U]. Conduct unbecoming. Goodbye.
    Last edited by escamoter2; 12-10-2011 at 02:13 PM.