Thread: How would you feel about DeCastro as our first round pick?

Veteran

How would you feel about DeCastro as our first round pick?

At this point, I'm not even sure he would drop to us, but I think he would present an interesting dilemma for the Jets front office if he did. Seems like a pretty safe pick and although Slauson is doing okay, it's hard to argue with drafting the next possible Steve Hutchinson. Our running game would probably instantly improve and, along with Turner, Slauson would provide another backup interior OL-man (remember, he can play center as well).

As you may know, I really want the Jets to go ILB/OLB and WR with their first two picks (in that order), but I would have a hard time arguing with the addition of DeCastro.

Thoughts?

good player but i dont grade him out like a hutchinson or a faneca. or even Mike Iupati.

his grade gets more interesting projecting him to center (and teams will probably ask him to snap) or right tackle (interesting has the size for it). I'd love to see him at those positions. if he's only a guard, kinda a reach in rd1
    Last edited by bitonti; 12-10-2011 at 07:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    good player but i dont grade him out like a hutchinson or a faneca. or even Mike Iupati.
    You must have a second round grade on this year's best interior lineman, because Hutchinson and Iupati both went 17th overall and Faneca went 26th overall.

DeCastro is a top-tier guard prospect, whether you have him graded that way or not. If he makes it to the Jets, he'd be tough to pass up, because the right side of our line has been mediocre-at-best this year.

I think he'd replace Brandon Moore instead of Matt Slauson.

Too early for draft talk for me.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post

I think he'd replace Brandon Moore instead of Matt Slauson.
    Huh? Unless I'm missing something, Moore has been solid this year and should a couple good years left. Slauson is the clear weak link in the interior and, at this point, you have to assume he's reached his ceiling.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Huh? Unless I'm missing something, Moore has been solid this year and should a couple good years left. Slauson is the clear weak link in the interior and, at this point, you have to assume he's reached his ceiling.
    Moore has been good, no need to prematurely replace him. De Castro is ok but I prefer we get OLB or WR before that

I actually think Moore's days are more numbered than not. Maybe I'm just blindly picking at a player though...

I want to see how DeCastro's stock plays out...Same for that Glenn guy from Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Same for that Glenn guy from Georgia.
    glenn played left tackle at times this year and did well against Sam Montgomery and other top pass rushers. In other words this might be the ideal RT replacement for Hunter. he's got like 30 pounds on decastro.

All League
    like decastro and think he could even play rt, but guys are underrating slauson, probably our most consistent lineman this year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Would rather go with a guy like Cordy Glenn.

Id rather see us with Levy Abcock from Ok St.

Has good size and athleticism for RT, and can push Hunter hopefully into a backup role.

All Pro
    IF he's the highest raged player onthe board then take him. Guard isn't a glaring need but from most experts he a pretty safe bet to be very good to great for a very long time.

Hall Of Fame
    No chance in replacing Slauson. He has developed into a very solid NFL guard. I dont see the Jets trying to replace Moore b.c he is the leader of the line. Brick and Mangold are not vocal leaders and the line needs a vocal leader.

However I do think it is a lock that they are going to draft a lineman with the first pick. You can never have too many. From what I hear the safeties have a weak crop this year so I expect them to explore that in FA or via trade (maybe get Lowery back????) I dont think they will draft another defensive lineman with the first two picks.

I also DO NOT want to see them draft a WR unless he is a can't miss Burress clone. I think they should try to resign Burress first and if they can't do that then they should try to resign Braylon. Only if they fail at those first two do I think they should draft a WR within the first two picks and certainly not with the first pick.

I would be perfectly happy with them drafting two offensive linemen with he first two picks. Two guys who are versatile who can play guard or tackle preferably athletic tackles who can replace Hunter.

does anybody know Hunter's cap number if he gets cut? Not that its going to happen.

i'll say that if they don't go out and get a decent RT in free agency, i'd be surprised if they didn't draft one in the first 2 rounds. i watched the 1st half of the chiefs game and there are still too many plays, both passes and runs, that are blown up for losses b/c either mulligan or hunter misses a block. most other guys are doing their blocking jobs pretty well.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

dynamic guard and best at the position since Steve Hutchinson without doubt...

that said he does not drop to the Jets and there are soo many good guards in the draft (Johnson/Cal-PA, Beachum/SMU, Brooks/Va Tech, Troutman/Penn St, Saulsberry/G-C/Miss St, Looney/Wake Forest, Dennis/Temple, Wynn/Rutgers) that will be available 3rd round on and a few late round/FA sleepers (Tribue/Temple, Fakalate/NMSU) its not worth taking what's almost a luxury pick in round one compared to some of the other needs...

Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    dynamic guard and best at the position since Steve Hutchinson without doubt...

that said he does not drop to the Jets and there are soo many good guards in the draft (Johnson/Cal-PA, Beachum/SMU, Brooks/Va Tech, Troutman/Penn St, Saulsberry/G-C/Miss St, Looney/Wake Forest, Dennis/Temple, Wynn/Rutgers) that will be available 3rd round on and a few late round/FA sleepers (Tribue/Temple, Fakalate/NMSU) its not worth taking what's almost a luxury pick in round one compared to some of the other needs...
    CBNY, what was your take on Caleb Schlauderaff? Is he another Slauson type? or does he have some more upside than Slauson?

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    CBNY, what was your take on Caleb Schlauderaff? Is he another Slauson type? or does he have some more upside than Slauson?
    very average player that was spotty even in college....he's slightly better on his feet and in motion compared to Slauson but not nrealy as strong or nasty...

Not worth it imo... Slauson isn't playing poorly enough to warrant an upgrade and we have more pressing needs. You MUST be able to cheap out at some positions in the NFL and Slauson is one of those few guys right now.

The NFL draft now is a great place to go cheaper than signing FAs. Must do it with positions that affect you a bit more.

And I don't think Iupati is a very good player btw... Guy still holds constantly.