Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rich People DON'T Create Jobs: 6 Myths That Have to Be Killed for Our Economy to Live

[QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4276144]Lucky for us we had the war to get us out of the depression.

I just filled up my oil burner today. 4.00 per gallon 997.00. It cost 334.00 2 years ago. Inflation is so cool people in the Northeast are going to choose between food and heat.[/QUOTE]

I just stayed away from buying another home in the NE because of the oil burner issue. Oil is 4 bucks for now. Once we strike Iran, it will once again soar to new highs.

Electric heat is no panacea for heating, but way less expensive than oil.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4276157]I just stayed away from buying another home in the NE because of the oil burner issue. Oil is 4 bucks for now. Once we strike Iran, it will once again soar to new highs.

Electric heat is no panacea for heating, but way less expensive than oil.[/QUOTE]

Electric heat is way more than oil heat. My electric bill has gone up 3 fold in 5 years.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4276157]I just stayed away from buying another home in the NE because of the oil burner issue. Oil is 4 bucks for now. Once we strike Iran, it will once again soar to new highs.

Electric heat is no panacea for heating, but way less expensive than oil.[/QUOTE]

You want energy independence? Use Natural Gas. It is clean, domestic and plentiful. OR you can put in a pellet stove for a few grand and add renewable energy to your list.

[QUOTE=Trades;4276202]You want energy independence? Use Natural Gas. It is clean, domestic and plentiful. OR you can put in a pellet stove for a few grand and add renewable energy to your list.[/QUOTE]

I have 2 pellet stoves. They are a great supliment to my oil heat. They aren't inexpensive to operate. The fuel isn't free by any means.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=Winstonbiggs;4276212]I have 2 pellet stoves. They are a great supliment to my oil heat. They aren't inexpensive to operate. The fuel isn't free by any means.[/QUOTE]

I realize that. Popular Mechanics had a nice comparison of heating fuels and pellet stoves won hands down. They absolutely love them.

[URL]http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/energy-efficient/is-wood-the-best-renewable-fuel-for-heating?click=main_sr[/URL]

[IMG]http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/biomass_02_0111-de-33442817.jpg[/IMG]

Personally I like a cold room. On the weeks I don't have my kids I keep my thermostat on 60 unless I am about to get in the shower when I push it up just a bit to get the bathroom warm and then turn it back down when I get done. When the kids are there I push it to a balmy 66. :D

??? I see three with a lower annual cost... including Natural gas.

[QUOTE=Trades;4276234]I realize that. Popular Mechanics had a nice comparison of heating fuels and pellet stoves won hands down. They absolutely love them.

[URL]http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/improvement/energy-efficient/is-wood-the-best-renewable-fuel-for-heating?click=main_sr[/URL]

[IMG]http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/biomass_02_0111-de-33442817.jpg[/IMG]

Personally I like a cold room. On the weeks I don't have my kids I keep my thermostat on 60 unless I am about to get in the shower when I push it up just a bit to get the bathroom warm and then turn it back down when I get done. When the kids are there I push it to a balmy 66. :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=bitonti;4273739]the amount of revenue the Bush Tax Cuts prevent the gov't from taking is truly obscene.[/QUOTE]

I like it when things are written so clearly and unambiguously.

Money you are paid for your labor is not yours, it's the Govt's. You have no inherant right to it.

The very core of the Bitonti economic creed.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4276303]??? I see three with a lower annual cost... including Natural gas.[/QUOTE]

I guess you have to read the whole article then. Plus not everyone has access to Natural Gas.

[QUOTE=Trades;4276380]I guess you have to read the whole article then. Plus not everyone has access to Natural Gas.[/QUOTE]

Oh... I was seduced by the low hanging fruit in the form of a colorful table.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4276428]Oh... I was seduced by the low hanging fruit in the form of a colorful table.[/QUOTE]

lol, I agree with your conclusions from the table but they go into it further in the article. So for the TLDR crowd here is my summary from memory. I read the article a year ago.

They are definitely pro-renewable energy and I think the start up cost of the masonry heater are extremely prohibitive. They also moved pellet stoves up the list because they are clean and pretty self sufficient when you have a thermostat, hopper and auger for feeding the oven over a wood stove. Cost wasn't the only consideration in the "study".

Shouldn't you be putting solar panels on to any house you would consider buying? Electric heat is much more expensive than oil or gas but if you get it from the sun it should be affordable right?

In all seriousness there is a technology out there that uses solar vacuum tubes to heat water. The cost of the tubes is relatively inexpensive and the tech can heat water to over 100 degrees using sunlight even in sub freezing outside temperatures. In the North East it would be used to supplement the boiler for radiant heat systems. The technology is proven and has potential above and beyond inefficient PV solar panels because its much cheaper to produce and the heated water is more useful than electricity for reducing fuel consumption.

Unfortunately they didn't qualify for a piece of the 72Billion Obama gave out to his cronies in the green industry because they didn't bundle any donations to Obama's campaign. A bad business decision in my opinion. Luckily however as the technology is proven private money will pour in to expand the business at a natural and sustainable pace.
    Last edited by chiefst2000; 12-14-2011 at 11:22 AM.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4276308]I like it when things are written so clearly and unambiguously.

Money you are paid for your labor is not yours, it's the Govt's. You have no inherant right to it.

The very core of the Bitonti economic creed.[/QUOTE]

warfish I'd invite you to live in a country with less services, if you don't feel it's necessary to pay for them. Try Mexico. I hear the kidnappings are lovely this time of year.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=Trades;4276234]I realize that. Popular Mechanics had a nice comparison of heating fuels and pellet stoves won hands down. They absolutely love them.

[B]Personally I like a cold room. On the weeks I don't have my kids I keep my thermostat on 60 unless I am about to get in the shower when I push it up just a bit to get the bathroom warm and then turn it back down when I get done. When the kids are there I push it to a balmy 66[/B]. :D[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely; what is the fascination with warmth? It's so expensive; I can agree with you based on economic reasons alone. I tell my wife & 2 sons (both in college locally) that cool is NOT COLD. Cool is cool; very refreshing.

Still waiting for them to acknowledge me on that one.:(;):P

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4276522]Absolutely; what is the fascination with warmth? It's so expensive; I can agree with you based on economic reasons alone. I tell my wife & 2 sons (both in college locally) that cool is NOT COLD. Cool is cool; very refreshing.

Still waiting for them to acknowledge me on that one.:(;):P[/QUOTE]

Cool/cold are nothing. There are no such things in the physical world. Only a lack of heat.

[QUOTE=Jetdawgg;4273208][IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-IvF1OPP06nc/TuS-ktLuFtI/AAAAAAAAqLY/Sd2fn7kpPCg/s1600/1.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-OasvnMn3qEI/TuS-lnVn6_I/AAAAAAAAqLg/F1xQ9AnWTbY/s1600/2.jpg[/IMG]

[url]http://www.cracktwo.com/2011/12/rich-people-dont-create-jobs-6-myths.html[/url][/QUOTE]

Question for the OP. If rich people don't create jobs who does? Simple question really. I'm just wondering.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4276574]Question for the OP. If rich people don't create jobs who does? Simple question really. I'm just wondering.[/QUOTE]

[I]You can't handle the truth![/I]

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4276522]Absolutely; what is the fascination with warmth? It's so expensive; I can agree with you based on economic reasons alone. I tell my wife & 2 sons (both in college locally) that cool is NOT COLD. Cool is cool; very refreshing.

Still waiting for them to acknowledge me on that one.:(;):P[/QUOTE]

Before I got divorced my ex would put the heat on 73 and the A/C on 68 and I could never figure out why 73 was comfortable in the winter but 68 was in the summer.

[QUOTE=Trades;4276582]Before I got divorced my ex would put the heat on 73 and the A/C on 68 and I could never figure out why 73 was comfortable in the winter but 68 was in the summer.[/QUOTE]

She just liked spending your money. That feels good no matter what time of year it is.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4276587]She just liked spending your money. That feels good no matter what time of year it is.[/QUOTE]

True, and now she gets to for 8 more years without any input from me. :mad:

[QUOTE=chiefst2000;4276574]Question for the OP. If rich people don't create jobs who does? Simple question really. I'm just wondering.[/QUOTE]

The Government.

Obviously.