Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Matt Barkley to enter NFL Draft

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Matt Barkley to enter NFL Draft

TonyPauline

Sources close to the situation tell me they expect Matt Barkley/QB to announce his intention to enter the #NFLDraft in the next few weeks

2nd Qb off the board I would assume?

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    2nd Qb off the board I would assume?
    Maybe. Robert Griffin III will give him a run for his money.

I don't watch a whole bunch of college games but love following the draft and seeing how players develop in the NFL. That being said, I'd take Griffin in a heartbeat, unless somehow he measures out super short i.e. below 6'1''

Does Barkley have any physical tools that would stand out against the other top QB prospects?

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    I don't watch a whole bunch of college games but love following the draft and seeing how players develop in the NFL. That being said, I'd take Griffin in a heartbeat, unless somehow he measures out super short i.e. below 6'1''

Does Barkley have any physical tools that would stand out against the other top QB prospects?
    He's not as big or as heavy as Luck IIRC, but he is pretty mobile in the pocket and somewhat reminds me of Sanchez in his USC days. With all the issues USC has had he's done damned well since he's been there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    This is a great year for teams that need quarterbacks.

If it weren't for Andrew Luck and RG3, Barkley would go #1 overall. All three are incredibly talented.

Why does Barkley scream bust to me?

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    USC didn't do a whole lot with him at the helm. That and physically he's not anything special.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    USC didn't do a whole lot with him at the helm. That and physically he's not anything special.
    What did you want the kid to do? The program was banned from post-season play the past two years.

Barkley was 27-9 as a three year starter at USC. His numbers were better than Andrew Luck's this year.

He was the best quarterback prospect and top five overall recruit nationally coming out of high school. The kid is most definitely physically gifted. He's a special player at the position.

6'2 220 with great arm strength and very good football smarts make him an ideal pro prospect at the position. In any other year, he'd be the top overall choice.

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    Because the Miami Dolphins have a shot at him.

Think Barkley is going to be the best NFL QB of the bunch actually. Better than Luck even.

Hoping he goes to a team that we don't play much. Prefer the NFC.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Think Barkley is going to be the best NFL QB of the bunch actually. Better than Luck even.

Hoping he goes to a team that we don't play much. Prefer the NFC.
    Care to elaborate? Not doubting you, educate me...

USC guys scare me. With that said, Barkley reminds me of Stafford a bit.

Outside of guys like Cam Newton or Ben, the biggest factor in a QB's success is reading a defense and knowing where he's going to go with the ball before the snap. Brady and Peyton are almost always a first read guy simply because they can identify the weaknesses in the defense they are attacking whether it be the scheme or matchup. I think this quality is something that Barkley is the best in, and it also translates to the NFL the best. You obviously also factor in the arm strength and accuracy. Barkley and Luck both don't have amazing arms but are certainly good enough. Also gonna be interesting to watch them throw the NFL ball because I think you get a little more velocity with the NFL ball. Both show very good pocket awareness and knows where the rush is coming from. Just think the main area of reading things is where Barkley wins and is what will make him the better player.

Basically I think Barkley has elite ceiling while Luck is only going to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    USC guys scare me. With that said, Barkley reminds me of Stafford a bit.
    Very different QB than Stafford and I never think it's smart to be bias on a position based on the school they come from. Fact is that it comes down to they point that they are different people and players.

I remember Aaron Rodgers catching so much **** because he was coming from a Tedford offense which yielded great numbers but poor NFL players.

TonyPauline Tony Pauline
    This comes as a shock to me but sources from So Cal tell me the word is Matt Barkley reversed course and is likely to stay at USC

TonyPauline Tony Pauline
    Also- as of today the word is Robert Griffin III/Baylor & Landry Jones/Oklahoma will also return to school. Could change, still interesting

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

evidently has reversed course and is expected to announce he's staying today...

Is it the general though that the new rookie salary scale will result in more guys not coming out early? Or will that have any affect at all?

this is why I don't do Mock drafts until Jan 15 or so. It's hard enough to do properly when you know the team orders and who is in the class. BEfore that point it's a waste of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Is it the general though that the new rookie salary scale will result in more guys not coming out early? Or will that have any affect at all?
    These guys will still be getting paid quite nicely and will eliminate any risk of a serious injury by staying in college one more year. A $20 million contract is better than nothing and the risk of injury