Thread: Russell Wilson

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Russell Wilson

The guy has all the tools to be great in the NFL, except for size. He's a 1st round talent trapped in a UDFA's body.

If he's around in the 3rd or 4th, I think the Jets should pick him because he's going to be a good one.

Maybe they can flip him for a 1st rounder down the road.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Def need a back up, but have bigger needs. McElroy will be serviceable if he can stay on the field.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FlagmanL11 View Post
    Def need a back up, but have bigger needs. McElroy will be serviceable if he can stay on the field.
    Of course they have bigger needs, but really, they could take another QB and justify it by saying it's based on need because they are losing Brunell.

I know they have McElroy and all... I just think adding another high quality QB is good business.

What sort of immediate contributor are they going to get in the 3rd or 4th round anyways? Most of the guys they are taking at that point are project players who will be expected to fill a role a couple of years down the road, not in 2012. Taking Wilson isn't hurting the 2012 Jets at all.

And if he happens to be special, like I think he might be, they can get quite a return on that investment.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know if Wilson gets drafted at all. They say he's 5'11" that's not an NFL Qb's height. Even Chris Leak went undrafted at 5'11"

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    He'll probably go back to baseball. Better chance at a career, less injury risk, more $$$

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I dont know if Wilson gets drafted at all. They say he's 5'11" that's not an NFL Qb's height. Even Chris Leak went undrafted at 5'11"
    Agreed, guy is talented, but anything under 6'0 is just too short.

I am all for bringing in a QB next year, either through the draft or as a FA.

Orton would be a solid veteran player to have as a backup and would let mcelroy develop. It would cost us some money, but we need to have a solid veteran, with the team in contention every year.

Obviously he isnt the answer as a starter, but Henne would not be a terrible backup with McElroy being the #3 guy next year and getting more time to develop.

In the draft, I wouldnt mind seeing us look at Ryan Lindley. Tall QB with a strong arm, and who has a lot of college experience. Just needs work and some time to develop with an NFL QB coach. He would obviously come in as 3rd string with Mcelroy being the primary backup.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Well Wilson is a far better prospect than Leak is. He's actually probably around 5'10. He's going to be a steal for someone in the 4th or 5th round.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 49ersJetsfan View Post
    He's going to be a steal for someone in the 4th or 5th round.
    No, he's not. ...because you can't play quarterback in this league at 5'10 or 5'11.

Wilson is a very good college quarterback that will go back to playing baseball when the college football season ends.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    he'll be aiming at the area between his OLs shoulder blades....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I think he'd be a good pro QB but will likely never get his shot. If they are shorter then Vick they likely will not even be looked at. Brees is just a natural freak that see threw his OL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Yeah I think he'd be a good pro QB but will likely never get his shot. If they are shorter then Vick they likely will not even be looked at. Brees is just a natural freak that see threw his OL.
    if we can get him for dirt cheap, it might not be a bad idea

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Wilson is about the same height as Vick and Brees are... Vick is listed at 6'0 but I've met him in person before, he's the same exact height as I am, a shade over 5'10.