Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Michael Floyd

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Michael Floyd

I'm beginning to feel that the team would be best served by picking a WR in the first round that can stretch the field and make plays with the ball in the air.

How is Floyd as a deep threat?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I'm beginning to feel that the team would be best served by picking a WR in the first round that can stretch the field and make plays with the ball in the air.

How is Floyd as a deep threat?
    I really like Floyd, he's on my shortlist of names for the 1st round.

He's not the fastest guy in the draft, but he can really get up in the air for the ball, which makes him a great deep threat because he's very difficult to cover with a shorter CB.

Keep in mind that Holmes is also a deep threat type of WR, he just isn't being used that way very often.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    there are 3 top WR this year: Justin Blackmon, Alshon Jeffery and Michael Floyd.

It's very possible Floyd runs the fastest and leapfrogs the other two.

Right now it's december and all of Blackmon and Jeffery's big plays are still fresh in our minds. But in March if those guys are running 4.5s and Floyd runs a 4.4 things will change.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    If one of the top guys is there for us WR would be very high on my list. The Jets, if they are committed to Sanchez have to get him a young long term play maker.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    there are 3 top WR this year: Justin Blackmon, Alshon Jeffery and Michael Floyd.

It's very possible Floyd runs the fastest and leapfrogs the other two.

Right now it's december and all of Blackmon and Jeffery's big plays are still fresh in our minds. But in March if those guys are running 4.5s and Floyd runs a 4.4 things will change.
    And when Kendall Wright runs a 4.3 he may leapfrog one or two of these guys in your top 3.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    And when Kendall Wright runs a 4.3 he may leapfrog one or two of these guys in your top 3.
    This.

Kendall Wright is going to get compared to Mike Wallace and Steve Smith. If you guys want a vertical threat, he's your guy.

Blackmon and Jeffery will be long gone.

Robert Meachem and Braylon Edwards are free agents in 2012 too. Signing one of them and adding a prospect like Wright would be a huge step for the offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Anton Chigurh View Post
    This.

Kendall Wright is going to get compared to Mike Wallace and Steve Smith. .
    neither of which were 1st round picks. Good players tho and Kendall Wright could be one too... just don't think it's likely he leapfrogs the big 3.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    neither of which were 1st round picks. Good players tho and Kendall Wright could be one too... just don't think it's likely he leapfrogs the big 3.
    I bet you the 31 other teams that didn't pick them wish they used a first rounder on them though.

Calling Steve Smith just a "good" player is an insult. And the other is the best deep threat in the game.

There isn't a big three. It's Justin Blackmon and Alshon Jeffery that are elite. No one else.

Michael Floyd isn't on their level. No doubt he's a first round talent, but he's not a top ten talent like Blackmon and Jeffery. After they're selected, it's a toss up. If Wright runs an amazing 40, he'll have a chance to be the third receiver off the board.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bet you the 31 other teams that didn't pick them wish they used a first rounder on them though.

Calling Steve Smith just a "good" player is an insult. And the other is the best deep threat in the game.

There isn't a big three. It's Justin Blackmon and Alshon Jeffery that are elite. No one else.

Michael Floyd isn't on their level. No doubt he's a first round talent, but he's not a top ten talent like Blackmon and Jeffery. After they're selected, it's a toss up. If Wright runs an amazing 40, he'll have a chance to be the third receiver off the board.
    i hope i'm wrong, but i just can't see the jets taking a wr in the first round, say around the 20th pick, if schotty is still the OC. what would really be the point? with rex's influence and the aging LB corps i'd be surprised if a front 7 player isn't chosen, unless someone falls to them like an OG who is much higher on their draft boards.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i hope i'm wrong, but i just can't see the jets taking a wr in the first round, say around the 20th pick, if schotty is still the OC. what would really be the point? with rex's influence and the aging LB corps i'd be surprised if a front 7 player isn't chosen, unless someone falls to them like an OG who is much higher on their draft boards.
    Either way, this team needs youth at wideout and linebacker.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Either way, this team needs youth at wideout and linebacker.
    i'm guessing the most likely scenario, barring any guys falling to them who they really didn't expect, is that the jets take a guy like burfect/upshaw/ingram in round 1, then take either S, WR or OG/OT in the 2nd and 3rd. i could also see them trading up for a guy in the 2nd round if, say, there's a wr they really want.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    i'm guessing the most likely scenario, barring any guys falling to them who they really didn't expect, is that the jets take a guy like burfect/upshaw/ingram in round 1, then take either S, WR or OG/OT in the 2nd and 3rd. i could also see them trading up for a guy in the 2nd round if, say, there's a wr they really want.
    Melvin Ingram would be an amazing fit in Rex Ryan's scheme. He can play linebacker, tackle, and end. Ryan would have a so much fun moving him around.

The new draft schedule makes it a little easier to wheel-and-deal.

The top pick in the second round will be incredibly valuable because multiple players with first round talent will be there.

Dwight Jones, Marvin McNutt, and Mohamed Sanu will most likely be our best bets in the second round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Melvin Ingram would be an amazing fit in Rex Ryan's scheme. He can play linebacker, tackle, and end. Ryan would have a so much fun moving him around.

The new draft schedule makes it a little easier to wheel-and-deal.

The top pick in the second round will be incredibly valuable because multiple players with first round talent will be there.

Dwight Jones, Marvin McNutt, and Mohamed Sanu will most likely be our best bets in the second round.
    the draft seems to be fairly deep in lbs with first round grades. between those guys and a few of the wrs, the jets can draft value and need without reaching. i'd prefer if they used FA to get a veteran RT, like they did with woody years back, to give that side of the line more experience. also maybe a veteran TE too.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    the draft seems to be fairly deep in lbs with first round grades. between those guys and a few of the wrs, the jets can draft value and need without reaching. i'd prefer if they used FA to get a veteran RT, like they did with woody years back, to give that side of the line more experience. also maybe a veteran TE too.
    The linebacking class took a major hit when Notre Dame's Manti Te'o decided to stay in school. Vontaze Burfict will likely be a top fifteen pick with no major competition inside. BC's Luke Kuechly could give him a run for his money though.

I don't see an elite pass rusher in this draft, but the Jets don't really need that with the emergence of Aaron Maybin. I'm not saying we don't need another pass rusher, because we most definitely do. We need a consistent pass rush from our entire linebacking corps.

We need speed and athleticism in the front seven...an all-around defender to replace Bryan Thomas would be nice. Courtney Upshaw and Melvin Ingram fit that mold.

A veteran #2 tight end would be nice, that way Mulligan could slide back into that #3 blocking only slot.

Veteran depth on the line is necessary, but Vladimir Ducasse will be ready to compete for that right tackle job next offseason. At least, that's what it looks like the coaching staff is prepping him for. Ducasse has moved into that jumbo tight end role that Rob Turner and Wayne Hunter used to play.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    This.

Kendall Wright is going to get compared to Mike Wallace and Steve Smith. If you guys want a vertical threat, he's your guy.

Blackmon and Jeffery will be long gone.

Robert Meachem and Braylon Edwards are free agents in 2012 too. Signing one of them and adding a prospect like Wright would be a huge step for the offense.
    So would you rather have Wright or Floyd? I'm a huge believer that the Jets need to get faster at WR and so Wright would seem to make sense, I just don't know if he's the right compliment to Holmes given his 5'10" height. And is Wright more a slot receiver? Floyd also seems like he could be another Hakeem Nicks (who ran in the 4.5s, I believe), which makes him very enticing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    So would you rather have Wright or Floyd? I'm a huge believer that the Jets need to get faster at WR and so Wright would seem to make sense, I just don't know if he's the right compliment to Holmes given his 5'10" height. And is Wright more a slot receiver? Floyd also seems like he could be another Hakeem Nicks (who ran in the 4.5s, I believe), which makes him very enticing.
    as long as you get value for the draft slot.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like

Michael Floyd isn't on their level.
    nfldraftscout has it blackmon, floyd, jeffery in that order. (7, 13, and 15 overall)

they have Kendall Wright at 35 overall. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...gs/TSX/2012_WR

not saying that's 100% accurate or gospel truth but my guess is whoever runs the fastest of those three, goes the highest in the draft. I could very easily see Blackmon get Anquan Bolden treatment

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vontaze Burfict will likely be a top fifteen pick with no major competition inside.
    Dunt'a Hightower probably goes before Burfict, who is looking more like a 2nd round pick. Keuchly probably goes 1st ILB off the board.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    As of right now, Kendall Wright and I wouldn't think twice. That's not a knock on Floyd either.

Plenty of teams have had success with multiple "undersized" receivers. The Steelers, Colts, Packers, and Patriots come to mind.

Michael Floyd has body control like Nicks, but I worry he won't be able to get consistent separation in the NFL. MSU's BJ Cunninham is a prospect that I've seen compared to Nicks. I like that comparison too.

Finally, he's not a slot receiver. Like Wallace and Smith, he's got the ability to line up out wide or in the slot.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    nfldraftscout has it blackmon, floyd, jeffery in that order. (7, 13, and 15 overall)

they have Kendall Wright at 35 overall. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...gs/TSX/2012_WR
    ...and I'm supposed to care why?

These are pre-combine rankings that hold little to no water.

not saying that's 100% accurate or gospel truth but my guess is whoever runs the fastest of those three, goes the highest in the draft. I could very easily see Blackmon get Anquan Bolden treatment
    Again, it's not a big three. Blackmon and Jeffery are the elite prospects with top five talent at the position.

I can't see any of them running ridiculous 40 times.

Blackmon is not going to run a 4.7 like Anquan Boldin. Blackmon also has consistent production at the position, unlike Boldin, who converted to wideout halfway into his college career.