Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yu Darvish bid Deadline

Yu Darvish bid Deadline

The deadline for teams to submit bids to the Nippon Ham Fighters for the exclusive rights to negotiate with Yu Darvish is today at 4pm central time.

I hope something leaks out tonight.

Nick Cafardo
    Red Sox did not submit a posting on Yu Darvish.

EDIT: Actually Olney reported NYY did post a bid. Not sure why MLB Trade Rumors is reporting they didnt
    Last edited by Mantle & Namath; 12-14-2011 at 07:11 PM.

The Yankees put a bid but I heard its a moderate bid and they won't get him as there is a really high bid out there.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    The Yankees put a bid but I heard its a moderate bid and they won't get him as there is a really high bid out there.

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    +1

Most Yankee fans have been pretty patient this off-season.. but if they didn't make serious play for Yu Darvish.. that patients may start to run out. Obviously there are still some solid arms on the trading block but I don't see Cashman agreeing to the demands..especially for Gio Gonzalez.. Billy Beane always asks for the moon and the stars. I don't think going to spring training with current rotation we have is acceptable. What say you?

Quote Originally Posted by Mantle & Namath View Post
    Most Yankee fans have been pretty patient this off-season.. but if they didn't make serious play for Yu Darvish.. that patients may start to run out. Obviously there are still some solid arms on the trading block but I don't see Cashman agreeing to the demands..especially for Gio Gonzalez.. Billy Beane always asks for the moon and the stars. I don't think going to spring training with current rotation we have is acceptable. What say you?
    With our current rotation we will not win the WS and might not even make the playoffs. Who says the Ivan Nova repeats what he did last year going 16-4? AJ Burnett has had 2 seasons pitching a 5 ERA, he blows. Freddy Garcia is a solid back end starter but only gives you around 5-6 innings, only had 140 innings last year. Phil Hughes was a disaster last season.

Basically we have Sabathia and a bunch of questions, the Yankees are acting like our rotation is set when it really isn't.

All League
    Any rumors on who the high bid is? Guessing Texas?

Quote Originally Posted by TokyoJetsFan View Post
    Any rumors on who the high bid is? Guessing Texas?
    Cubs..Jays..and Rangers have gotten the most pub.. but really who knows?

Did bid on Darvish
    Yankees
    Cubs

Did NOT bid on Darvish
    Giants
    Athletics
    Marlins
    Rays
    Angels
    Twins
    Red Sox
    Orioles
    Mets

Not Listed
    Rangers
    Blue Jays
    Royals
    White Sox
    Indians
    Tigers
    Mariners
    Phillies
    Braves
    Nationals
    Astros
    Cardinals
    Brewers
    Reds
    Pirates
    Diamondbacks
    Rockies
    Dodgers
    Padres

JIM BOWDEN
    Rangers, Blue Jays, Yankees & Cubs all submit bids for Yu Darvish...MLB expected to announce winning bid on Thursday Morning

All League
    According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, the "buzz" is that the Blue Jays made a "whopper of an offer" for Japanese right-hander Yu Darvish.
    No word on a specific number, but Grant speculates that there are "many reasons" for them to bid more than $50 million. He also believes that the Rangers submitted a bid, likely somewhere in the range of $40-50 million. The Cubs and Yankees have also reportedly placed bids on the highly-touted right-handed. We should learn the identity of the winning team within in the next few days. Assuming the bid is accepted, they will then have 30 days to work out a contract. Dec. 15 - 11:09 am et

All Pro

Sorry for being late to the game but who can Darvish be compared to as far as major league pitchers past and present?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Sorry for being late to the game but who can Darvish be compared to as far as major league pitchers past and present?
    You can't compare mlb players to japanese players because they haven't faced the same competition. What would be the comparison point?

It would be like comparing a CFL player to an NFL player-Yeah, he runs really fast and has cuts, but against what?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    You can't compare mlb players to japanese players because they haven't faced the same competition. What would be the comparison point?

It would be like comparing a CFL player to an NFL player-Yeah, he runs really fast and has cuts, but against what?
    Well comparison with his size, is he tall and lanky like Chein Ming Wang or shorter like Pedro Martinez. Does he have 4 pitches, is he always getting the first pitch strike in? More information is what I guess I was after. I mean, you see this guy pitch and say, wow, he looks like....that's all..

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Well comparison with his size, is he tall and lanky like Chein Ming Wang or shorter like Pedro Martinez. Does he have 4 pitches, is he always getting the first pitch strike in? More information is what I guess I was after. I mean, you see this guy pitch and say, wow, he looks like....that's all..
    6' 5" from what I understand. A mid 90's fastball.

Not sure if that helps

All League
    Basic Info

The half-Iranian Darvish towers over most of his Japanese rivals. His lanky 6-foot-5 frame could easily add 15 pounds of muscle without sacrificing any of his excellent athleticism.

Darvish has been a truly dominant force in Japan for several season now. A four-time All Star, Darvish is in the midst of a five year run posting sub-2.00 ERA's (a NPB record) and thrice has had a WHIP of 0.90 or lower while twice being named the league's MVP. Over his four full seasons as a starter he has maintained a K:BB ratio of nearly 4.4:1 while whiffing over a batter per inning.

There's no way to meaningfully splice the numbers in which Darvish doesn't come out as one of the handful of greatest pitchers in Japanese history. If he isn't the best of all time at his age (24), he's at least on the Mount Rushmore.

Stuff

The righthander works with a deep array of pitches, common for top Japanese hurlers. He throws four-seam, two-seam and cut fastballs and compliments them with at least three different breaking balls. I've also seen reports of Darvish mixing in a change-up and the ever elusive shuuto, often referred to as a 'gyroball' in the US, where the batter sees a dot and thus reads breaking ball but the pitch actually stays straight -- think of it like a backup slider.

Darvish has well-above-average arm strength. His fastball sat 151-155 km/h or 93-95 MPH for you non-metric types out there. Able to hit his spots around the knees while occasionally going upstairs for effect, Darvish has advanced control of his fastball coupled with the ability to sink, cut, or run the ball inside. His fastball doesn't move a ton, but it does move and move late. Everything Darvish throws off his fastball is heavy. Guys like him keep bat makers in business; Darvish will leave many big leaguers with toothpicks in their hands.

A couple different forms of slider are evident in Darvish's arsenal; one with more horizontal break, one vertical. He showed very good control, able to throw sliders for strikes, utilizing them most often early in the count. Occasionally he would sharpen the break and throw the pitch out of zone with two-strikes. When he did, the results were nasty.

He'll work in a very slow curve ball in the low 60 MPH range, just to keep batters off-balance. If you're squaring off against Darvish, you have to be ready for the ball to come in at pretty much any speed.

I didn't see a below-average pitch from Darvish. He doesn't have super, elite stuff like a Verlander but everything is good. I'd grade his fastball a 65, he seemed to have the most confidence in it. He probably has four or five other pitches that are 50-55 grades on the scouting scale to go along with 60+ command.

Assorted Thoughts

His pitch sequencing impressed me. Darvish seems to have a real plan off attack. It's an aggressive plan. He mixes speeds very well, especially early in the count then goes for the kill by running a fastball at your knuckles. He didn't pitch around guys, but wasn't reckless. There were a few fastballs in the Seibu game that hung over the middle that he might not be able to get away with at the MLB level but he seems like the kind of pitcher who'll figure out what works quickly and adapt.
    Darvish is a really excellent fielder. A two-time Gold Glove winner in the NPB he'd immediately be on of the best fielding pitchers in the bigs upon his arrival.
    There's a good amount of functional deception in his delivery. By that I mean, he seems to hide the ball well without killing all efficiency in his mechanics.
    He utilizes his lower half very well, excellent hip rotation. If we've taught you nothing else about baseball mechanics it should be that hip rotation IS power.
    I could nitpick a few small things in his delivery, but I don't see the point. He grew up in a different culture, with a different way of teaching mechanics. It's all about what works for you, this is what works for his body. He's young, healthy, durable. He repeats well. He's athletic.
    Darvish's statistical profile is awfully similar to Daisuke Matsuzaka. While Dice-K's struggles in recent years may taint that comparison in the minds of some, don't forget that Matsuzaka was worth 7.2 WAR over his first two seasons in Boston.
    http://projectprospect.com/article/2...couting-report

The Darvish bid winner should be announced soon, probably the Blue Jays or the Rangers.

But I heard that the Yankees may have more interest in Yoenis Cespedes than they let out and will be big bidders on him. Hope its true because we could use a young talented OFer.