Rangers won the bid.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mantle & Namath View Post
    Rangers won the bid.
    sucks

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well comparison with his size, is he tall and lanky like Chein Ming Wang or shorter like Pedro Martinez .

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    in my mind, Cashman has had a pretty flawless offseason thus far. Extending CC was so far above any other priority and that got done before he opted out, sparing everyone's nerves! Getting Freddy back on a one year deal was very nice. I'm fine the rotation headed into the spring. Yanks have held onto all their chips in case they need to do something closer to the trade deadline.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Santonio View Post
    in my mind, Cashman has had a pretty flawless offseason thus far. Extending CC was so far above any other priority and that got done before he opted out, sparing everyone's nerves! Getting Freddy back on a one year deal was very nice. I'm fine the rotation headed into the spring. Yanks have held onto all their chips in case they need to do something closer to the trade deadline.
    No team was going to outbid the Yankees on CC's current contract, so the Yankees were basically bidding against themselves.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    rumor is Cash is gonna make a strong for the Cuban center fielder who defected.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    rumor is Cash is gonna make a strong for the Cuban center fielder who defected.
    That is what I heard, I will be happy if they got him. Our farm system doesn't really have any good OFers and this guy is supposed to be a 5 tool guy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by k.Rhodes25 View Post
    That is what I heard, I will be happy if they got him. Our farm system doesn't really have any good OFers and this guy is supposed to be a 5 tool guy.
    Me too.Then maybe they can trade Swish as part of a package for a pitcher.Won't be a frontline guy but maybe a #3 starter.

The pitching right now has me worried.I have no confidence after c.c and Nova.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Dierking View Post
    No team was going to outbid the Yankees on CC's current contract, so the Yankees were basically bidding against themselves.
    you don't know that.. considering the money being thrown around this off-season

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by IHATEDOLPHINS View Post
    Me too.Then maybe they can trade Swish as part of a package for a pitcher.Won't be a frontline guy but maybe a #3 starter.

The pitching right now has me worried.I have no confidence after c.c and Nova.
    Not sure why you would have so much confidence in Nova. Would you be at all surprised if he had a era hovering around 5 after next season? I know I wouldn't. I personally think the Yankees should sell high on him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure why you would have so much confidence in Nova. Would you be at all surprised if he had a era hovering around 5 after next season? I know I wouldn't. I personally think the Yankees should sell high on him.
    Sell him for what? Pitching?

That's retarded.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    +1

He'll definitely have a drop off from last season, just not sure how drastic that drop will be.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post
    Sell him for what? Pitching?

That's retarded.
    For a superior pitcher with a longer track record.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hector Noesi out pitched Nova next season. They are similar guys.
    Last edited by Mantle & Namath; 12-20-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    For a superior pitcher with a longer track record.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hector Noesi out pitched Nova next season. They are similar guys.
    Similiar in stuff, maybe. But Nova seems to have an El Duque-like aggressiveness that keeps you in games. We have no idea what we'll get from Noesi.

Agreed that he may regress, but I think he'll be a solid starter in the league. Makes more sense to trade position players (Swish) for pitching at this point.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yu Darvish Signs With the Rangers
    By DAVID WALDSTEIN
    Published: January 18, 2012
    For years one of the most intriguing and captivating pitchers in the world has been working on the other side of the planet, where he developed into an icon of Japanese baseball. Now, Yu Darvish will take his talents to the United States, where he will try to make Texas Rangers fans forget about Cliff Lee and C. J. Wilson.
    Yu Darvish Signs With the Rangers
    By DAVID WALDSTEIN
    Published: January 18, 2012

With only minutes to spare before an irrevocable deadline, the Rangers and Darvish agreed to a six-year contract on Wednesday, allowing Texas to add probably the most talented pitcher outside of Major League Baseball.

A superstar in his home country, Darvish, 25, was the most highly scouted and sought-after pitcher in Japan over the past several years, with an electrifying fastball and a fiery personality to match.

The Rangers, in need of an ace after Lee and Wilson left in free agency the last two years, had been planning to acquire Darvish for months and finally completed the last step Wednesday.

Texas won the right to sign Darvish with a $51.7 million posting bid in December and had 30 days to agree to a contract. If the sides had not agreed by 5 p.m. Wednesday, Darvish would have had to return to Japan to pitch.

Darvish’s agent, the California-based Arn Tellem, had been working around the clock in meetings in Texas with Rangers General Manager Jon Daniels to secure a deal.

At 6 feet 5 and 190 pounds, Darvish does not fit the physical mold of most of the previous Japanese pitchers who have come to Major League Baseball. His outward expressions of competitive zeal — fist pumps and other mound histrionics — also set him apart from many of his predecessors.

Not since the Red Sox spent a little over $100 million to acquire Daisuke Matsuzaka before the 2007 season has there been this much anticipation and expenditure for a Japanese pitcher.

The Matsuzaka experience has been a combination of success, disappointment, injury and frustration for both Matsuzaka and the Red Sox, but Texas feels that Darvish’s stuff and his temperament are better suited for Major League Baseball.

Darvish was 18-6 with a 1.44 earned run average last season. Over seven seasons, he was 93-28 with a 1.99 E.R.A. and has not had an E.R.A. over 1.88 since he was 19.

He in effect replaces Wilson, who left the Rangers after the World Series to join the Los Angeles Angels as a free agent. A year earlier, Lee signed with the Philadelphia Phillies.

Darvish joins a rotation that already includes Derek Holland; Matt Harrison; Neftali Feliz, who had been the Rangers’ closer; and Colby Lewis or Alexi Ogando.

With the two sides coming to agreement on the contract, the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters, Darvish’s team in Japan, will receive the $51.7 million posting fee. When Matsuzaka joined the Red Sox in 2007, his old team, the Seibu Lions, used the $51 million posting fee to acquire new players and refurbish its old stadium, once it had substantial taxes on the income.

With only minutes to spare before an irrevocable deadline, the Rangers and Darvish agreed to a six-year contract on Wednesday, allowing Texas to add probably the most talented pitcher outside of Major League Baseball.

A superstar in his home country, Darvish, 25, was the most highly scouted and sought-after pitcher in Japan over the past several years, with an electrifying fastball and a fiery personality to match.

The Rangers, in need of an ace after Lee and Wilson left in free agency the last two years, had been planning to acquire Darvish for months and finally completed the last step Wednesday.

Texas won the right to sign Darvish with a $51.7 million posting bid in December and had 30 days to agree to a contract. If the sides had not agreed by 5 p.m. Wednesday, Darvish would have had to return to Japan to pitch.

Darvish’s agent, the California-based Arn Tellem, had been working around the clock in meetings in Texas with Rangers General Manager Jon Daniels to secure a deal.

At 6 feet 5 and 190 pounds, Darvish does not fit the physical mold of most of the previous Japanese pitchers who have come to Major League Baseball. His outward expressions of competitive zeal — fist pumps and other mound histrionics — also set him apart from many of his predecessors.

Not since the Red Sox spent a little over $100 million to acquire Daisuke Matsuzaka before the 2007 season has there been this much anticipation and expenditure for a Japanese pitcher.

The Matsuzaka experience has been a combination of success, disappointment, injury and frustration for both Matsuzaka and the Red Sox, but Texas feels that Darvish’s stuff and his temperament are better suited for Major League Baseball.

Darvish was 18-6 with a 1.44 earned run average last season. Over seven seasons, he was 93-28 with a 1.99 E.R.A. and has not had an E.R.A. over 1.88 since he was 19.

He in effect replaces Wilson, who left the Rangers after the World Series to join the Los Angeles Angels as a free agent. A year earlier, Lee signed with the Philadelphia Phillies.

Darvish joins a rotation that already includes Derek Holland; Matt Harrison; Neftali Feliz, who had been the Rangers’ closer; and Colby Lewis or Alexi Ogando.

With the two sides coming to agreement on the contract, the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters, Darvish’s team in Japan, will receive the $51.7 million posting fee. When Matsuzaka joined the Red Sox in 2007, his old team, the Seibu Lions, used the $51 million posting fee to acquire new players and refurbish its old stadium, once it had substantial taxes on the income.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    How much he get?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post
    How much he get?
    6 yrs/$60 million. Team and player opt out after 5 years.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Post Thanks / Like
    6 yrs/$60 million. Team and player opt out after 5 years.
    And the Rangers gave his old team $51.7 million.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Something has to change with this posting system.

Really, if you were just interested in blocking a team like the Rangers from getting a guy like Darvish, you could have posted a bid of $100 million, then offered him a 2 year deal at league minimum.

He'd turn around and go right back to Japan, you wouldn't lose a penny, and your rival doesn't get the guy they wanted.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    And the Rangers gave his old team $51.7 million.
    It's funny, cause living out here, they bash the Yankees all the time on the radio for spending too much money. They really talk far mor about the Yankees than the Angels or anyone else.

But then they applaud giving 110 million dollars, (an average of over 18 per year when it's all added up) to a guy who has never pitched in the majors. It could work out, but that's a big risk.