Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RT in Round 1

Jets Insider VIP

RT in Round 1

OLB, FS, WR...all big needs for this team. But none are more pressing than getting Wayne Hunter out of the starting lineup. Even Brandon Moore has had a down year compared to his usual standards.

Our OL was the core of our offense for years, and we need to invest in getting it back to what it once was. Losing Woody hurt this offense significantly. More than losing Braylon or Cotch or any of those guys.

We probably won't have a shot at guys like Kalil and Reiff, but there is still going to be some nice OL talent in the mid-late 1st round.

Cordy Glenn, David DeCastro, Zebrie Sanders, Kevin Zeitler...

At this point, I view the right side of our OL as our biggest weakness.

All of us have seen Sanchez look amazing at times when he has more than 2-3 seconds in the pocket. The #1 focus this offseason should be keeping him upright and giving him a speedster to work with downfield.

Jets Insider VIP
    Are there any decent RT's set to hit the market?

I just hate using a 1st rounder on the right side of the line. But obviously it may be necessary.

Jets Insider VIP
    We need a pass rusher in round 1. We have been ignoring this need vfor too long.

Get a RT in the 2nd round.

Veteran
    I agree with you completely. It's clear that Sanchez needs a good OL and running game to be effective. He's just not good enough to be able to carry an offense that lacks a good OL, but then again not many QBs are.

As badly as I want some new LBs, I'm starting to think that RT or OG might be a better use of our top pick. I want a dominant OL again!

You can get good, quality RTs later in the draft..

Kareem McKenzie was a 3rd round, Fabini a 4th and Ryan Young a 7th.

Defense needs speed at OLB and S!!

I think RT in the second or third is best unless Reiff drops.

Ideally we could grab a veteran RT in FA and groom the draft pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Are there any decent RT's set to hit the market?
    Carl Nicks might fit the bill even tho he's been playing guard

as for using another high pick on RT, this isn't the year for it. Last year with carimi, castonzo etc that was a perfect year to grab a RT. This year it's all left tackles with that rd1 grade. yeah we could take Cordy Glenn but that's probably 2 rounds too early. Why over pay?

I also wonder on using the draft for this position, cause it takes years for tackles to develop.

And let me also add that no team in the NFL has shut down Jason Babin or demarcus ware, the players that really toasted Wayne Hunter. What needs to happen is the Jets to not turn the ball over, stick to the running game and not fall 3 touchdowns behind when it will obviously be a passing situation. Wayne Hunter isnt' a good player but alot of teams have average or bad players at RT.

alot of this is on Mark. he folds up and takes sacks when he needs to throw it away. The fact that the QB needs a clean pocket to operate, that's not ideal. Mike Vick had Calvin Pace crushing his right side while his left side threw a TD to Brent Celek. Sometimes QBs have to escape or make plays under pressure, Mark doesn't seem to do a whole lot of that. If it takes 3 seconds he needs all 3 seconds, he doesn't throw it early like a Brees or Brady would do. If we need 5 first rounders to keep a clean pocket for Mark, maybe it's not the OL, maybe it's Mark.

alot of this is on Mark. he folds up and takes sacks when he needs to throw it away. The fact that the QB needs a clean pocket to operate, that's not ideal. Mike Vick had Calvin Pace crushing his right side while his left side threw a TD to Brent Celek. Sometimes QBs have to escape or make plays under pressure, Mark doesn't seem to do a whole lot of that. If it takes 3 seconds he needs all 3 seconds, he doesn't throw it early like a Brees or Brady would do. If we need 5 first rounders to keep a clean pocket for Mark, maybe it's not the OL, maybe it's Mark.
    Bit you crazy. The Boy needs to be protected.

RT in the 2nd or 3rd is fine...I also wouldn't mind a young guy like Brown or Bell in FA.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    You can get good, quality RTs later in the draft..

Kareem McKenzie was a 3rd round, Fabini a 4th and Ryan Young a 7th.

Defense needs speed at OLB and S!!
    You can get a good safety or OLB later in the draft too. Hell, you could say the same for every position. What's your point?

I don't want a project like Ducasse, I want a guy who can step in and start at RT the day we draft him. We have a better chance of finding that guy in the 1st round than we do in the 4th or 5th round.

If we can't give Sanchez more than 2-3 seconds in the pocket, then this team is going nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I want a guy who can step in and start at RT the day we draft him. We have a better chance of finding that guy in the 1st round than we do in the 4th or 5th round.
    rd 1 is probably a reach for any of these guys. they could get a guy rd2 like Marcus Gilbert to start right away.

I think that part of the problem is the protection schemes. There is no question that the gamble on Hunter has failed at RT. I just don't think you can put a Right Tackle on Babin or Ware. That being said I believe Free Agency is the solution for RT .OLB on the first , Safety in the second

Quote Originally Posted by JetOrange View Post
    I think that part of the problem is the protection schemes. There is no question that the gamble on Hunter has failed at RT. I just don't think you can put a Right Tackle on Babin or Ware. That being said I believe Free Agency is the solution for RT .OLB on the first , Safety in the second
    Has to be....this is why the Chargers can play the Ravens WITHOUT 2 All Pro caliber lineman and still not get Rivers sacked!!

RT is no where near our biggest need so I hope not. I am really not a big fan of this OL class. Outside of the top 2 there is not a lot of 1st round talent and you dont reach for RTs. Really out side of Reiff there is no RT worth taking early at all. Adams is not a RT and likely not even a 1st rounder. Levy Adcock and Andrew Datko are both 3rd round talent. I'd actually rather stick with what we have.

Now if David DeCastro is there I say G is a possibility and a bigger need of ours IMO. He may also be the best OL in the draft. Matt Slauson has been just as bad as Hunter all year. Turner will be back next year and I am betting we get a new OL coach. The problems we have had this year is not so much talent as it is continuity and depth. I have liked Vlad but they keep bouncing him around and he has suffered for it. This is an average line right now with above average talent. I really feel people are blaming them because Sanchez is not getting it done. Too many people are flying off the handle with this OL it just needs to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Has to be....this is why the Chargers can play the Ravens WITHOUT 2 All Pro caliber lineman and still not get Rivers sacked!!
    part of that is Rivers getting rid of the football fast. it's unrealistic to expect a clean pocket for Sanchez all the time.

All Pro
    Right tackle is not a premier position and we just have too many other needs. Filling that position cheap is the way to go but we picked the wrong player last year with Hunter...

I'm starting to think this... PLease just one little FA just one...in Mario Williams, Draft a

1st) RT
    2nd) S
    3rd) TE
    4th) G

and then take another shot at a couple RBs.

Hall Of Fame
    First Round: Best Tackle available
    Second Round: Best Lineman available. Looking for a versatile backup.
    Third Round: Best Linebacker available. Preferably OLB
    Fourth Round: Best Tightend who can block
    Rest of Draft: DBs and RBs

No sexy picks here. Best teams are built from the inside out. Replenish the Oline b.c that is where it all starts.

I think the Jets have enough WRs. Holmes, Kerley are back. Either re-sign Plax or try to get Braylon back. To break in another WR is going to be hard to do. WR revolving door needs to stop for a year. Would like to see Sanchez' receiving corps hit the ground running for a change.

Safety should be addressed via FA or trade. Jets need a ready-made NFL safety. Im thinking a trade for Rolle could be a possibility.

Backup QB needs to be addressed in FA. Jets need a guy who can go and be able to do more than just hand off.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-20-2011 at 08:23 PM.

I really don't care about the rounds as it all depends on who is there for us. The swing and miss with Ducasse has really hurt us much like the Gholston miss. This is where the 'we don't care if we have 4 picks a year' philosphy breaks down sooner or later.

The very best way to insulate yourself against failure is to make multiple picks in one position (See us getting Rhodes and maddox, one flopped, one played great....for a while)

I want us to draft at least two safeties and at least one pass rush olb. My biggest want in the 1st round is for a stud WR to fall to us.

Last year we went with quantity over quality so this year, I think we will do the same. The first two years, we were trying to go for the kill to sell PSL's and that didnt work so we need to rebuild. Nothing wrong with that

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Last year we went with quantity over quality so this year, I think we will do the same. The first two years, we were trying to go for the kill to sell PSL's and that didnt work so we need to rebuild. Nothing wrong with that
    It's not like our draft this year was terrible though. Wilkerson looks like a long term starter and Ellis has flashed when healthy.