Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RT in Round 1

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Last year we went with quantity over quality so this year, I think we will do the same. The first two years, we were trying to go for the kill to sell PSL's and that didnt work so we need to rebuild. Nothing wrong with that
    Don't forget with the new CBA rookies are cheaper now...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace Wright View Post
    I think RT in the second or third is best unless Reiff drops.

Ideally we could grab a veteran RT in FA and groom the draft pick.
    Reiff is strictly a LT- does not have the body type for RT and too good a pass blocker to move from the left side....

RT prospects in this draft are awful...maybe Thomas Compton of South Dakota but he's a few seasons away...maybe the Florida Staste guys but they are inconsistent...Marcel Jones of Nebraska?? better guard prospect and back issues are worrisome...

Jets have a lot of needs....I'd go with BAP.

esp. at RT i'd rather they fill in FA. get someone who won't be overwhelmed right away. sanchez is getting creamed too much.

There isn't much available at RT in free agency unless you think that Gaither can play the position.

The best way to go is to draft one. Perfect world I'd take a pass rusher with the first pick but you can't bank on that. You NEVER EVER just take a pass rusher because it fills a need. You first decide whether the player is going to be a good/great NFL player. If you don't think he'll be very good, then you don't take him, even though he's technically the next on the list.

If there is no pass rusher there that the Jets like, then I'd certainly go RT. Preferably a RT that could slide over to LT if we need it because Brick won't be healthy every single game of every single year like he has been so far. And for the last several years, we have nothing on this team that could play LT.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    If there is no pass rusher there that the Jets like, then I'd certainly go RT.
    there are far more linebackers and pass rushers in this draft than there are 1st round right tackles.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Reiff is strictly a LT- does not have the body type for RT and too good a pass blocker to move from the left side....

RT prospects in this draft are awful...maybe Thomas Compton of South Dakota but he's a few seasons away...maybe the Florida Staste guys but they are inconsistent...Marcel Jones of Nebraska?? better guard prospect and back issues are worrisome...
    What do you think of Iowa's other Tackle Markus Zusevics? I am actually not as high on Reiff as most, but I think Zusevics could be a steal at RT in the 4th-5th round area. I think he'd stay at RT in the NFL, but could also move inside.

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    What do you think of Iowa's other Tackle Markus Zusevics?
    I dont know that he's as big as these guys want their OL. the Jets have been going very big since Callahan arrived. 6'5" 300 might not be what they want. they want 320-340 it would seem.

since we are talking about Iowa im gonna bring up a name from their Rival, Kelechi Osemele from Iowa State. Beastly. might be a better guard but I think he could have a chance at RT.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle....&ATCLID=945162

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I dont know that he's as big as these guys want their OL. the Jets have been going very big since Callahan arrived. 6'5" 300 might not be what they want. they want 320-340 it would seem.

since we are talking about Iowa im gonna bring up a name from their Rival, Kelechi Osemele from Iowa State. Beastly. might be a better guard but I think he could have a chance at RT.

http://www.cyclones.com/ViewArticle....&ATCLID=945162
    some early reports...Seems Vlad-like...

Evaluation: Gargantuan left tackle who looks every bit the part with a powerful base and vines for arms that allow him to recover when he gets out of position. However, still does not know how far he needs to go and is very complacent coasting on his natural talent. Lacks discipline, is not a worker and weight has tended to fluctuate in the past. Has a soft playing temperament and does not finish blocks. Inconsistent effort and intensity level. Tends to play upright with marginal hand use shows little pop in his punch. Has rare physical traits and is loaded with upside, but will require a strong, nurturing position coach to maximize his talent. Boom-or-bust potential.
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro...hi-osemele-72/

Intangibles: Started 44 consecutive games to end his collegiate career, despite battling an ankle injury most of his senior season. Versatile skill-set with experience at offensive tackle and guard. Work ethic is not a strength for him, with questionable conditioning and passion - his weight needs to be monitored. Natural instincts and football IQ are a large concern. Far from a finished product, but obvious upside is there if his field attitude develops - needs to prove mental midget notion is wrong.
    NFL Comparison: Michael Oher, Ravens
    --Dane Brugler
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1243444

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    What do you think of Iowa's other Tackle Markus Zusevics? I am actually not as high on Reiff as most, but I think Zusevics could be a steal at RT in the 4th-5th round area. I think he'd stay at RT in the NFL, but could also move inside.
    have stated his name several times on this board- very underrated...needs to bulk up a bit but gets overlooked because of Reif...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    some early reports...Seems Vlad-like...

Evaluation: Gargantuan left tackle who looks every bit the part with a powerful base and vines for arms that allow him to recover when he gets out of position. However, still does not know how far he needs to go and is very complacent coasting on his natural talent. Lacks discipline, is not a worker and weight has tended to fluctuate in the past. Has a soft playing temperament and does not finish blocks. Inconsistent effort and intensity level. Tends to play upright with marginal hand use shows little pop in his punch. Has rare physical traits and is loaded with upside, but will require a strong, nurturing position coach to maximize his talent. Boom-or-bust potential.
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro...hi-osemele-72/

Intangibles: Started 44 consecutive games to end his collegiate career, despite battling an ankle injury most of his senior season. Versatile skill-set with experience at offensive tackle and guard. Work ethic is not a strength for him, with questionable conditioning and passion - his weight needs to be monitored. Natural instincts and football IQ are a large concern. Far from a finished product, but obvious upside is there if his field attitude develops - needs to prove mental midget notion is wrong.
    NFL Comparison: Michael Oher, Ravens
    --Dane Brugler
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1243444
    good comparison in a variety of ways though i think Osemele will be a devastating guard in the NFL...

prefer we get RT in the 2nd or 3rd rounds instead. In the first take a pass rusher or BAP. Resign Braylon, we need the guy back. And sack Shoddy - addition by subtraction,

CBNY What do you think about Levy Abcock....seems like he's got a ton of size and can be a second round RT?

I want to take Upshaw with our first round pick. I know we all want a speed rusher, and if the next JPP or Kerrigan is there, then fine...but I don't see that happening.

Upshaw is a strong and technically sound football player coming from a 3-4 defense. While not a burner speed wise, he's probably twice as fast as Bart art this point and has good pass rush ability. He can start on day 1 and be an immediate upgrade.

I know everyone wants the speed rusher, but with a full offseason for wilkerson and maybin, plus a guy like upshaw along with pace our Dline should be in good shape to rush the passer

All League
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by FreshBaked 24 7 View Post
    It's not like our draft this year was terrible though. Wilkerson looks like a long term starter and Ellis has flashed when healthy.
    Kerely is a keeper too. I think he'll round out into a terrific slot receiver and has shown to be very elusive once he actually catches the punt.

He's got great hands as a WR (punts not so much obviously) and has made a few big third down catches in limited action this year.

2 years from now, we'll be saying Kerely was our steal of the 2011 draft.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    prefer we get RT in the 2nd or 3rd rounds instead. In the first take a pass rusher or BAP. Resign Braylon, we need the guy back. And sack Shoddy - addition by subtraction,
    To everyone who thinks the Oline isn't a first round priority, just look at our depth chart:

POS.....First.......................Second........ ............ Third............. Other
    WR....Plaxico Burress............Jeremy Kerley
    LT......D'Brickashaw Ferguson..Austin Howard
    LG.....Matt Slauson..............Caleb Schlauderaff
    C.......Nick Mangold
    RG.....Brandon Moore
    RT.....Wayne Hunter...........Vladimir Ducasse

TE.....Dustin Keller...............Matthew Mulligan....Josh Baker
    WR....Santonio Holmes.........Patrick Turner
    QB.....Mark Sanchez............Mark Brunell............Kevin O'Connell
    FB.....John Conner..............Josh Baker
    RB.....Shonn Greene.............LaDainian Tomlinson.Joe McKnight...Bilal Powell

We are one line injury away from no season period. Has everyone forgotten what is was like without Mangold?
    The Greatest WR, QB, RB or even OC for that matter, in the world is going nowhere without this getting fixed.
    Sorry if it's not sexy, it's gotta be done.

The jets biggest needs imo are.. OL- Turner coming back next yr is huge!

RT - Hunter's not very good.
    WR - Jets longest play of yr today 41 yds Kerley to Mulligan. wth, Enough said!
    S - Playmaker
    RB - No more small Rb's please. Powell & McKnight need to Bulk up 15 lbs.
    OLB - 34 Speed off the Edge is Crucial!!!
    TE - 6'6 + 260 lbs There out there.

All Pro
    part of that is Rivers getting rid of the football fast. it's unrealistic to expect a clean pocket for Sanchez all the time.
    Rivers also has a capable offensive mind drawing up passing schemes, and Wr's that can gain seperation from Corners

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    Rivers also has a capable offensive mind drawing up passing schemes, and Wr's that can gain seperation from Corners
    if Sanchez weren't throwing interceptions to defensive linemen i might believe that apology.

All Pro
    if Sanchez weren't throwing interceptions to defensive linemen i might believe that apology.
    point taken,

there are instances where Sanchez needs to get rid of the ball and doesn't, but you can't place total fault on him for all the sacks. He wasn't getting creamed the 2 years when Woody was the mainstay at RT.

there are far more linebackers and pass rushers in this draft than there are 1st round right tackles.
    Let's hope our draft bozos get one who can actually play football and not just lift weights like Gholston.