Thread: Mets to drop Gulf Coast League team amid financial troubles

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar

Mets to drop Gulf Coast League team amid financial troubles

http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/201...st_league.html

So much for "they are putting their energy and cash into player development"

NEW YORK — In what is being billed as a consolidation — which comes as the franchise attempts to navigate tough financial straits — the Mets announced today that it will drop its entry in the rookie-level Gulf Coast League.

“For 2012, we will be conducting our three Rookie League teams in Kingsport, TN and out of our facility in the Dominican Republic and will not operate a team in the Gulf Coast League,” read a statement sent out by the organization.

The GCL team was based on Port St. Lucie, Fla., which is also home to the team’s spring training operation.

Even with the reduction, the Mets will operate eight minor-league teams in 2012, a larger number than most other big league clubs. The Mets will continue to field rookie-level teams in the Appalachian League (Kingsport) and two in the Dominican Summer League.

Still, the cut appears to be the latest example of the team’s faltering financial state under the Wilpon family’s ownership.

It’s unclear how much money the Mets will save with the move. According to a baseball executive, who requested anonymity because they are not authorized to speak publicly, organizations can spend anywhere from $400,000 to as much as $1 million per season to field a Gulf Coast League team.

The price tag, the person with knowledge said, can vary depending on the number of support staff and players on the roster.

SELL THE EFFING TEAM!
    Last edited by Buster; 12-21-2011 at 01:35 AM.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend

Selig not stepping in stinks of favoritism....and worse.

-

Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Selig not stepping in stinks of favoritism....and worse.

-
    I assume you are making reference to Fran McCourt and the Dodgers. It is my understanding that Frank McCourt used team funds as collateral (maybe the wrong term) for his real estate ventures. The Wilpon's are just in a financial bind, and have not used team funds for any other purposes. Therefore McCourt violated a rule or at least a "trust". Plus the Dodgers also filed for bankruptcy protection. The Wilpons on the otherhand are still "members in good standing" with baseball. The team is not bankrupt and they are not the first group of owners to allow a star player to leave and going from 9 affiliates to 8 is not a big deal. Most teams don't have that many.

I think the Mets are bleeding and in a downward spiral, but hey, what do I know?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Mantle & Namath View Post
    I assume you are making reference to Fran McCourt and the Dodgers. It is my understanding that Frank McCourt used team funds as collateral (maybe the wrong term) for his real estate ventures. The Wilpon's are just in a financial bind, and have not used team funds for any other purposes. Therefore McCourt violated a rule or at least a "trust". Plus the Dodgers also filed for bankruptcy protection. The Wilpons on the otherhand are still "members in good standing" with baseball. The team is not bankrupt and they are not the first group of owners to allow a star player to leave and going from 9 affiliates to 8 is not a big deal. Most teams don't have that many.
    I'm not co-signing the favoritism allegation at this point, but the news is all bad for the Wilpons and it doesn't seem to be any light at the end of the tunnel. Considering they're into their second significant loan to cover operating costs, they needed an extension to pay back the first one and they admit to a $70 million loss this past year, MLB may have to step in relatively shortly - behind the scenes or otherwise.

If the Wilpons can't pay MLB back that loan with the deadline pushed back to March, they shouldn't be owning a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    http://www.nj.com/mets/index.ssf/201...st_league.html

So much for "they are putting their energy and cash into player development"

SELL THE EFFING TEAM!
    Did you miss this part?

Even with the reduction, the Mets will operate eight minor-league teams in 2012, a larger number than most other big league clubs. The Mets will continue to field rookie-level teams in the Appalachian League (Kingsport) and two in the Dominican Summer League.

Yes, they have major financial issues, but they will still be running EIGHT minor league teams, more than most organizations. Do they really need four rookie league teams, in your opinion?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Did you miss this part?

Yes, they have major financial issues, but they will still be running EIGHT minor league teams, more than most organizations. Do they really need four rookie league teams, in your opinion?
    Yes, it's actually a very cheap way to potentially develop more players. If they're gonna try to build from within this a strange way to start that process.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyn Jet View Post
    Did you miss this part?

I am not a MLB scout. So I cannot truthfully answer weather controlling another 25 low level ball players is worth it.

But at the cost of $400,000 to $1,000,000 per year it seems to me the answer is why not?

Especially when your rap is that improvement is about player development

The question you should be asking is:
    Did they really need a new stadium and cable network when the final cost was fielding a AAA team instead of a big league team?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    I am not a MLB scout. So I cannot truthfully answer weather controlling another 25 low level ball players is worth it.

But at the cost of $400,000 to $1,000,000 per year it seems to me the answer is why not?

Especially when your rap is that improvement is about player development

The question you should be asking is:
    Did they really need a new stadium and cable network when the final cost was fielding a AAA team instead of a big league team?
    Seriously? Have you ever been to Shea? The cable network is supposed to be a revenue stream.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Seriously? Have you ever been to Shea? The cable network is supposed to be a revenue stream.
    Yes, many times. Shea was a bad baseball park.

Apparently to pay for the new stadium and the cable network the Wilpon’s leveraged the team out to the extent that after drawing 2.3 million fans last season they still lost $70 million dollars.

According to Baseball Reference dot Com the 2011 Mets payroll was $116 million. This number may be off. I think the total 2011 preseason # was $146 but that was before trading Beltran and K-rod.

IMHO 2.3 million tickets, Cable TV, MLB shared money and radio in NYC should cover $150 million payroll. That is unless you have run up tremendous debts.

In 2011 the Mets had Perez, Castro, Beltran, K-Rod, Pagan and Reyes all under contract. In 2012 those contracts are all off the books. But they still laid-off 11 front office people and dropped a minor league team. It won’t surprise me if they sell off Wright or attempt to re-schedule all games to the daytime to save on their electricity bill.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/te...1-roster.shtml

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Shea sucked but it never stopped people from going. Citi Field was supposed to be a money maker and it is quite the opposite.