Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carl Banks on the FAN--Rex Ryan is the Jet's Andy Reid

Years back at Hofrsa training camp my son maybe 8 saw Carl Banks riding his bike to training camp and asked him for an autograph. He refused said he was working out. I told him he sucked anyway and was a Giant and his autograph was worth nothing. He got really pissed and decided to come back. Needless to say 2 other guys joined me in bashing him for refusing to sign the autogrpah for the kid and he left or we would have beat him down.

Highest Negative Rep
    In JetsInsider History

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4288503]Years back at Hofrsa training camp my son maybe 8 saw Carl Banks riding his bike to training camp and asked him for an autograph. He refused said he was working out. I told him he sucked anyway and was a Giant and his autograph was worth nothing. He got really pissed and decided to come back. Needless to say 2 other guys joined me in bashing him for refusing to sign the autogrpah for the kid and he left or we would have beat him down.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.jonco48.com/blog/white_20man_20chciken.jpg[/IMG]

SAR I

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4288503]Years back at Hofrsa training camp my son maybe 8 saw Carl Banks riding his bike to training camp and asked him for an autograph. He refused said he was working out. I told him he sucked anyway and was a Giant and his autograph was worth nothing. He got really pissed and decided to come back. Needless to say 2 other guys joined me in bashing him for refusing to sign the autogrpah for the kid and he left or we would have beat him down.[/QUOTE]
    Why was Banks near Hofstra? The Giants never trained anywhere near there.

Ive seen Carl Banks a few times at sporting events where my son was involved. He lives in Watchung N.J and his kids attended Oratory Prep. While many went nuts for the guy I ignored this POS.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4288510]Why was Banks near Hofstra? The Giants never trained anywhere near there.[/QUOTE]

He was a Jets asst coach or something in the Bill Parcells era. Geez :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4288510]Why was Banks near Hofstra? The Giants never trained anywhere near there.[/QUOTE]

You generate quite a sweat biking to Hofstra from Albany.

_

[QUOTE=JStokes;4288513]You generate quite a sweat biking to Hofstra from Albany.

_[/QUOTE]

Wow you call yourselves fans and you dont remember when Carl Banks coached here LBs or something :huh:

He was Director of Player Development for the New York Jets in 1997

It's so true.. the Rex hate is ABSURD. The Jets are relevant again and it's great.

PS- I don't know the rules with links and whatnot, but the site where that Mark Sanchez article is from has a pretty awesome one about Rex that I just read. Am I allowed to link up, or just post the article, or what? I'm new and don't want to ruffle any feathers lol. Thanks.

[QUOTE=LeonSilver;4288515]It's so true.. the Rex hate is ABSURD. The Jets are relevant again and it's great.

PS- I don't know the rules with links and whatnot, but the site where that Mark Sanchez article is from has a pretty awesome one about Rex that I just read. Am I allowed to link up, or just post the article, or what? I'm new and don't want to ruffle any feathers lol. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Post the link its ok its Christmas :D

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4288512]He was a Jets asst coach or something in the Bill Parcells era. Geez :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]
    Okay so he was a Jets coach and you yelled at him calling him a Giant?

Actually, I think he was the Director of Player Development for one year. I don't recall him ever being a coach.

[QUOTE=GMCJETS;4288517]Post the link its ok its Christmas :D[/QUOTE]

lol ok.. here it is.. I went there to check out the Sanchez article and looked for other things by the writer.. found this Rex one. I love this pro-jets take on things.. you rarely see it. Most people want to hate on Rex and Sanchez..

[url]http://youdontknowfootball.com/?p=377[/url]

You Don't Know Football's Mike Donnelly - "Rex Ryan - My Head Coach"

[QUOTE]“I am getting sick of Rex and his fat mouth”.

We’ve heard it said numerous times over the last three years. It has come from followers of rival teams and from Jets-haters in general. It comes after a big Jets win, or just another bold statement by the bombastic Head Coach. True Jets fans shrug off these rants from Patriots or Dolphins fan, laughing at the whines of crybabies. We shrug as well when Giants fans thumb their noses at Rex and the “classless Jets”. Deep down, we know if Rex were wearing blue, they’d be singing a different tune. When Bills fans talk…nevermind, Bills fans don’t exist. When other fans talk about being old school, about this not being the “right way” to do things, true Jets fans just don’t care. Rex is one of us, a head coach with a fan mentality, and we love it. He gets his players to play like Jets, and he coaches like a Jet.

Lately, though, the talk has become more frequent. Bravado is great when the team is winning, but this year the Jets have stumbled through parts of the season. Worse yet, it’s not just a random opposing fan at the stadium or corner deli anymore. It’s not just hateful fans on internet forums. Now, it’s being spoken by supposed “Jets fans”, and it makes me sick. Is Rex Ryan perfect? No. But how many coaches are? It seems that those ever so well known Same Old Jets Fans enjoy the chip on the shoulder only when it comes with a side of winning. When the Jets lose, the coach can do no right. That’s not much of a change of culture after all.

These fans aren’t new. Through the years, they’ve almost preferred the Jets losing to winning. They predict a loss every week and would rather be right than wrong, relishing the ability to say “I told you so”. They like to find faults in all the players, no matter how well they perform. They come away unhappy with a 38-0 win because they didn’t convert that 3rd and 6 in the 2nd quarter. They take a dump on every draft pick and transaction, even proclaiming players busts after the second preseason game of their rookie season. They are the worm in the apple, the turd in the punch bowl.

These so-called “fans” blow my mind. “Rex hasn’t won a Super Bowl”, they like to whine. In two years, he’s gotten closer than all but one head coach in Jets history, and en route, he has already won more playoff games than this franchise had in the previous 22 years combined. How many coaches can say that? How many does he fall short of, these coaches who have won a ring in their first two years?

“Rex talks too damn much”, they cry. They may not like a coach speaking his mind, but that’s who Rex is. We knew that when he was hired, and it has worked for Rex and for this team. To be honest, it’s refreshing to see a coach say what he actually thinks. The same people who complained about Mangini being too boring and secretive are now on Rex’s case for being the exact opposite. It’s schizophrenic, and it’s frustrating.

“His defense sucks”, they yell. Obviously they’re not his father’s ’85 Bears. Few defenses have even approached that. Today, however, it’s hard to find one much better. At this point, the Jets are on pace for three straight top 10 rankings, including a 1 and a 3 overall. All the more impressive, Rex has done this without the benefit of a legitimate pass rushing threat. Care to guess what the Jets defense ranked in 2008 with largely the same group of players, including a full season of Kris Jenkins? 16th. Rex took over and they jumped 15 spots in one year. That isn’t an accident.
    “Rex is too fat”, they mumble. When weight becomes a measured statistic for head coaches, please let me know. When the Jets start getting penalized yards for every pound Rex is overweight, I will agree.

For whatever reason, Jets fans and Rex-haters, and the unfortunate crossover, only want to focus on the negatives when it comes to Rex Ryan. They want to make a fuss over the silly aforementioned points. They want to focus on all the things Rex Ryan hasn’t done in his short time. Well it’s about time more people start focusing on what Rex Ryan HAS done.

In the 50 games prior to Rex taking over, the Jets had a record of 23-27. That even includes a playoff appearance. In Rex’s first 50 games, they’ve gone 31-19 including a phenomenal 4-2 in the postseason. He’s brought this team to the playoffs twice, each time finishing within one game of the Super Bowl despite a rookie, and then 2nd year, quarterback. He was responsible for the biggest win this team has had in 40 years when he marched into Gillette Stadium, where the Patriots have been dominant for years, stared down unanimous league MVP Tom Brady and legendary coach Bill Belichick, and got them to blink first. He also beat Peyton Manning in his house the week before. No big deal.

Of course, let’s not forget the single most important thing Rex Ryan has done: he’s made the Jets relevant. All you fake fans who ran out and bought Jets jerseys the past two years, yet want to bash Rex, should be on your knees thanking him. He’s turned this team into winners. They’re important, they’re a threat. Without him, you’d still be embarrassed to say you are a Jet fan. For way too long, losing was an acceptable part of following this franchise. A 1-15 season under Rich Kotite will do that to you. Watching Herm Edwards and Eric Mangini play not to lose instead of trying to win will do that to you. That all changed under Rex Ryan, from day 1 when he said he wasn’t here to kiss Belichick’s rings. He’s here to win. He’s not here to be the little brother to the Giants. He’s made that clear. Under Rex Ryan, the Jets will almost always be contenders. The defense will always be amongst the league’s best. He’s starting to take a more hands-on approach with the offense. Rex Ryan knows what he is doing.

So Rex-haters can continue to spew their illogical nonsense and bash him at every turn. I just hope they know that REAL Jets fans like me will be there to put them in their place and point out the error of their ways. Rex Ryan certainly isn’t perfect, and he’d admit that. Nobody is, even the great Belichick. But he is improving all the time, and there’s not a coach I’d rather have for this team. He’s the best thing to happen to this franchise in years, and I hope he continues to “Coach Like a Jet” for many years.[/QUOTE]

edit: sorry if that didn't format right.. and I hope I cited the article properly .. if a mod wants to change it, be my guest!
    Last edited by LeonSilver; 12-23-2011 at 03:02 PM.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4288519]Okay so he was a Jets coach and you yelled at him calling him a Giant?

Actually, I think he was the Director of Player Development for one year. I don't recall him ever being a coach.[/QUOTE]

Yes already posted that. Dont care what he was he was an arrogant jerk that morning and yes he was and still is a Giant.

[QUOTE=Limolady;4288379]I can beat that, check out Almonte Toomer getting interviewed live this morning by Fox 5 (the Giants station, LOL) and none other than Tailgate Joe and his guys boo'ing him in the background!

Click here:

[URL]http://www.myfoxny.com/subindex/sports/nfl/giants[/URL]

Excellent job with the Jets chant & way to represent Joe!

:yes:[/QUOTE]

Lol, thanks, that was fun. Toomer was pissed! It was supposed to be an equal number of jets and giant fans but giant fans never showed. He ran off the second the cameras went off.

Jets Insider VIP

[B][URL="http://weblogs.wpix.com/news/helpmehoward/2009/02/former_giant_carl_banks_lends.html"]Former Giant Carl Banks Lends a Hand to Jets Fan[/URL][/B]

5:48PM | February 2, 2009 |

So who says that Jets and Giants fans can't get along?

Last year, Luis Marti put his Gang Green jacket in a dry cleaners to be restored. But when a 3-alarm fire destroyed the business and he couldn't reach the owner, he called Help Me Howard. Howard reached out to former star linebacker, Carl Banks, who offered to lend a "Giant" hand.

On November 16th, 2008, Luis dropped off his leather Jets jacket to be restored at a dry cleaners in the Morrisania section of the Bronx. Three days later, a massive 3-alarm fire engulfed the whole strip mall of stores including the cleaners where he dropped off his prized possession.

Luis was able to track down the owner and called to ask what happened to his jacket. The owner told Luis that the jacket was sent out before the blaze, but couldn't tell him where. Luis repeatedly called the owner, and the owner gave him excuse after excuse. That's when Luis called Help Me Howard.

We called former Giant standout Carl Banks who was glad to help out.

Giants fans most likely remember watching this guy help Big Blue take home two Superbowl rings back in 1987 and 1990. Banks was selected Pro-Bowl team in '87 and was a member of the 1980's All-Decade team.
    His playing days maybe over, but Carl is still well known through his work with the community. He is president of sports licensing for G-III Apparel, where he is in charge of the company's designs for athletic apparel.

[B]The rivalry between Jets and Giants fans is most certainly a heated one. But Carl Banks put his allegiance aside and provided Luis with 4 different Jets jackets.[/B] How about that?

[URL]http://weblogs.wpix.com/news/helpmehoward/2009/02/former_giant_carl_banks_lends.html[/URL]

GMC, you hurt Carl's feelings.

[QUOTE=Jordy;4288525][B][URL="http://weblogs.wpix.com/news/helpmehoward/2009/02/former_giant_carl_banks_lends.html"]Former Giant Carl Banks Lends a Hand to Jets Fan[/URL][/B]

5:48PM | February 2, 2009 |

So who says that Jets and Giants fans can't get along?

Last year, Luis Marti put his Gang Green jacket in a dry cleaners to be restored. But when a 3-alarm fire destroyed the business and he couldn't reach the owner, he called Help Me Howard. Howard reached out to former star linebacker, Carl Banks, who offered to lend a "Giant" hand.

On November 16th, 2008, Luis dropped off his leather Jets jacket to be restored at a dry cleaners in the Morrisania section of the Bronx. Three days later, a massive 3-alarm fire engulfed the whole strip mall of stores including the cleaners where he dropped off his prized possession.

Luis was able to track down the owner and called to ask what happened to his jacket. The owner told Luis that the jacket was sent out before the blaze, but couldn't tell him where. Luis repeatedly called the owner, and the owner gave him excuse after excuse. That's when Luis called Help Me Howard.

We called former Giant standout Carl Banks who was glad to help out.

Giants fans most likely remember watching this guy help Big Blue take home two Superbowl rings back in 1987 and 1990. Banks was selected Pro-Bowl team in '87 and was a member of the 1980's All-Decade team.
    His playing days maybe over, but Carl is still well known through his work with the community. He is president of sports licensing for G-III Apparel, where he is in charge of the company's designs for athletic apparel.

[B]The rivalry between Jets and Giants fans is most certainly a heated one. But Carl Banks put his allegiance aside and provided Luis with 4 different Jets jackets.[/B] How about that?

[URL]http://weblogs.wpix.com/news/helpmehoward/2009/02/former_giant_carl_banks_lends.html[/URL]

GMC, you hurt Carl's feelings.[/QUOTE]

My guess is he couldnt sell those POS jackets and has 100s laying around in a warehouse somewhere.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4288526]My guess is he couldnt sell those POS jackets and has 100s laying around in a warehouse somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Okay it's time to let it go.

You've been carrying this anger around for way too long.

Release it and you will be set free brother.

:P

[QUOTE=Jordy;4288529]Okay it's time to let it go.

You've been carrying this anger around for way too long.

Release it and you will be set free brother.

:P[/QUOTE]

Just not a fan of the POS who feels the need to talk trash about the Jets.

Undrafted Free Agent
    [QUOTE=Rhode Island Green;4288408]Then Rex should shut his yap about us winning the Super Bowl. How about winning the AFCE for a change?

I agree with CB, however, that Rex is building a good foundation here.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=JStokes;4288463]Why? Do you really believe everything he says?[/QUOTE]
    Generally, I believe in under-promising and over-delivering. Doing the contrary makes you look foolish and, more importantly, creates a culture of failure.

[QUOTE]Are you basing your expectations on what he says or what you see as a fan?[/QUOTE]
    Both.

[QUOTE]He's going to predict we win the SB every year for the next 10 years. Guess what--nobody wins the SB every year for 10 years. He'll win 1, that's all I care about.[/QUOTE]

I believe that if he continues to predict us winning the Super Bowl every year, he will not be here for 10 years. That would be too bad, as I think he can be a Super Bowl winning coach.

[QUOTE]Who gives a half-baked crap about what he says as long as he has us in contention every year.[/QUOTE]

His players do and I do. And the press does. Do not underestimate the perception issue. Just as Rex has lifted the perception of this organization, empty promises and disappointments can demoralize the organization with equal force.

[QUOTE]Create you own expectations--don't listen to the fat man behind the curtain--it's just entertainment.[/QUOTE]

It is not just entertainment if he is viewed by the team and the league as a blowhard clown.

[QUOTE]He is builiding a perennial winner. Go Rex.[/QUOTE]

I hope so.

[QUOTE=JStokes;4288365]

Evan chimed in that it took Cowher 14 YEARS to finally win a SB and has been hailed as one of the greats and it's idiotic that Jet fans are complaining that Rex hasn't won yet, or would complain if he doesn't get it done this year.

[/QUOTE]

Just curious, in how many of those years did Cowher guarantee a Super Bowl during training camp? Oh, zero? Oh, ok. Thank you.

Carl Banks is a Giant and can go F himself.

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=GMCJETS;4288514]Wow you call yourselves fans and you dont remember when Carl Banks coached here LBs or something :huh:

He was Director of Player Development for the New York Jets in 1997[/QUOTE]

Sarcasm radar off Generator boy?

_