Thread: Safety options?!?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

Safety options?!?

We all know how big a problem the safety position is for the Jets. What do you guys think are the players we could look at?! Personally I like T.J. McDonald (USC) in the first and Tramain Thomas (Arkansas) in third round. Trenton Robinson (Michigan State) is another kid I like later on.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure McDonald is returning to USC

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

T.J. McDonald returning to USC

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    USC junior safety T.J. McDonald announced Wednesday that he will return for his final season with the Trojans in 2012.

"USC has been a powerful place for my family and it has been a part of my entire life," McDonald said in a statement released by the school. "I came to USC at a unique time, when we were on probation, and a bowl ban, and nobody on my team was part of the reason for that bowl ban. We took it on full force and now we are on the way back to the greatness of USC.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/ncf/s...ng-2012-season

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    There goes that...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    There goes that...
    I'll take one of the Alabama safeties.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just mentioned Tramain Thomas on the other safeties thread and we need to consider this kid in the 3rd or 4th. Big upside. If we trade up for our first pick then we should pay attention to LSU/BAMA db's as they are all worth it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No safeties have a real first round grade this year....maybe in the second round, but id rather try to draft OLB (upshaw) and spend our FA money on laron landry.

The cap is going higher with the new tv deal, and we are not in a bad cap situation anyway...plus BT's 3 million will be coming off.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Problem is I'm not sure I like any of the Safeties in the first round.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    i'll take Barron in a second...that said if you want a late round/udfa sleeper then JoJo Nicolas of Miami-Fl...this years Hurricane DB version of Sam Shields...not real big (6'0"/200lbs) but smart, tough against the run, disciplined in coverage and better range than any Jets safety on the roster...also a good special teamer...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    i'll take Barron in a second...that said if you want a late round/udfa sleeper then JoJo Nicolas of Miami-Fl...this years Hurricane DB version of Sam Shields...not real big (6'0"/200lbs) but smart, tough against the run, disciplined in coverage and better range than any Jets safety on the roster...also a good special teamer...

Explain? You'd take him in the second round? You'd use a first round pick on him?

The only way I could justify picking him that early is if all the stud WR's are gone and Rex isn't enamored with the best available pass rusher.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Explain? You'd take him in the second round? You'd use a first round pick on him?

The only way I could justify picking him that early is if all the stud WR's are gone and Rex isn't enamored with the best available pass rusher.

He said in a second--time..Not round..So if Barron is there when the Jets pick in the 1st he'd take him

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    I honestly don't see Barron as a big upgrade over what we already have. He's a jack of all trades, master of none type just like Leonhard and Smith, but a better athlete.

With McDonald staying in school, I don't think I'd touch a safety before the 3rd round.

I'd much rather go the Michael Griffin/Dashon Goldson route in free agency.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I honestly don't see Barron as a big upgrade over what we already have. He's a jack of all trades, master of none type just like Leonhard and Smith, but a better athlete.

With McDonald staying in school, I don't think I'd touch a safety before the 3rd round.

Not promoting Barron in the first, but Leonhard/Smith are limited physically but overall mostly competent. Barron is a better athlete than both of them as well as well as being bigger, younger, and possibly offering some savvy. He'd be awesome in this D. Honestly he's not so different from Michael Griffin as a talent, except that he's a more decorated college player.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 12-29-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorJet View Post
    I just mentioned Tramain Thomas on the other safeties thread and we need to consider this kid in the 3rd or 4th. Big upside. If we trade up for our first pick then we should pay attention to LSU/BAMA db's as they are all worth it.
    Do you honestly think we are going to TRADE UP to #1 for LUCK ...I dont think so....Mcelroy will be good when he gets a full season in and Sanchez isnt going anywhere for at least another year maybe 2 2 AFC championships and we dump him i doubt it....

The Coaching staff on O and RExs lack of contributing to the O is a HUGE problem...Not just Sanchez...he is playing crappy because of the situation hes in i think the pressure and the News papers are getting to him and the coaching isnt helping much...hes getting at least a year maybe 2 like i said...

Schitty is gone and will get a full offseason with a new OC and should make a big difference for the better or worse will be seen but i still believe we have hope to make the playoffs this weekend and then who knows...But First i would like to look forward to the game Sunday.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJet85 View Post
    Do you honestly think we are going to TRADE UP to #1 for LUCK ...I dont think so....Mcelroy will be good when he gets a full season in and Sanchez isnt going anywhere for at least another year maybe 2 2 AFC championships and we dump him i doubt it....

The Coaching staff on O and RExs lack of contributing to the O is a HUGE problem...Not just Sanchez...he is playing crappy because of the situation hes in i think the pressure and the News papers are getting to him and the coaching isnt helping much...hes getting at least a year maybe 2 like i said...

Schitty is gone and will get a full offseason with a new OC and should make a big difference for the better or worse will be seen but i still believe we have hope to make the playoffs this weekend and then who knows...But First i would like to look forward to the game Sunday.
    Yeah at last someone talks sence! - I fear to think what this site would be like under Rich Kotite.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

love Barron- think he's underrated but bump this thread on Monday as i jump head first into the SEC film sunday...