Thread: Wallace Wright Jets Offseason

Wallace Wright Jets Offseason

Making a quick thread here to generate some discussion. This is what I feel our offseason should look like in a realistic way:

FA:

Demetrius Bell OL. He can fill in at RT for Hunter. Bell was very good last year and while he has been hurt in 2011, Bell is still young and would be a good signing for us. Moore can last another year at LG. Won't command a big contract, but he can be an effective long-term RT.

Robert Meachem WR. I think he makes as much sense as anyone for us. Meachem has size and he is a legitimate deep threat. He's 27 and has been very productive in a cluttered WR core. Would be a solid #2 for Mark. Because of the cluttered FA WR class, Meachem shouldn't be too tough to sign.

(only if he hits FA) Cliff Avril. Avril has to be the #1 option for the Jets. He is a legit double digit sack guy and is 25. The Lions could franchise him, but if they don't, Avril has to be the #1 target for Tanny. He played some OLB in college so the position isn't new to him. This would be a HR signing.

Tyvon Branch. A really versatile player who is 25 and can slot in at either S position.

Draft:

1) Courtney Upshaw OLB. Is the most complete 3-4 OLB IMO. He is extremely powerful and will translate very well to the NFL. He might not be a 13+ sack guy in the NFL, but I could definitely see him getting 9-11 sacks in the NFL consistently while being solid in the run game.

2) Zebrie Sanders OL. We need to address RT early and Sanders would be a solid pick. He has had a good college career and will translate well to the NFL.

3) Robert Lester FS. His stock is kind of falling and I could see him dropping to the mid-3rd easily. Lester could start right away and be an improvement over Smith. He has good size and 10 career INT's.

4) Ryan Broyles WR. He was probably a 2nd rounder before the injury and it will knock him down a few rounds. Broyles is a good developmental pick and could be a HR in the future.

5) Bobby Wagner ILB. He is small, but he's a tackle machine and will bring some much needed speed to the LB core. Offers some pass rushing potential as well.

6) Winston Guy Jr S. Another safety prospect for us who has really good size.

7) Jeff Adams OT. Developmental OL prospect. Could eventually take over for Moore if everything goes well.

QB: Sanchez, McIlroy, O'Connel
    RB: Greene, Tomlinson, McKnight
    FB: Conner
    WR: Holmes, Meachem, Kerley, Broyles
    OL: Ferguson, Slauson, Mangold, Moore, Bell, Ducasse, Sanders, Adams,
    TE: Keller, Mulligan

DE: Wilkerson, DeVito, Dixon, Pitoitua
    NT: Pouha (re-signed), Ellis
    OLB: Pace, Avril, Upshaw, Maybin, McIntyre
    ILB: Harris, Scott, Mauga, Wagner
    CB: Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Strickland, Trufant
    FS: Lester, Smith, Guy Jr.
    SS: Branch, Leonhard

Veteran
    Really like it, except for backup QB. No way O'Connell is on the team next year and I can't see GM being handed the No 2 spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Really like it, except for backup QB. No way O'Connell is on the team next year and I can't see GM being handed the No 2 spot.
    Yeah, I thought about that as I was making the depth chart. I don't know the FA QB class well and I don't feel comfortable spending a mid-round pick on it.

I want a wr in the first, we need premium talent at the position

Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    I want a wr in the first, we need premium talent at the position
    I don't disagree, but remember that if Schottenheimer is replaced, the new OC will likely tailor his playbook to the strengths of the wide receivers, thus making them and Sanchez more efficient. Obviously we could hire a bum, but Ryan and Tannenbaum will likely be very specific with their hire.

All Pro
    It is quite obvious to most what the problem is with this Jet team.

The offense sucks.Blame whoever you want,but that's the truth.

With that being said,it feel the best way to help this team is to make the defense the strength since the offense has too many issues.

1 - I want a pass rusher who doesn't need to be off the field on running downs.
    2 - I want a FS who can run and hit.
    3 - I want an ILBer who can run and hit
    I want a Pure NT for this defense.

Love the first two picks....however we can't address safety in the 3rd round, it has to be with Michael Griffin in Free Agency.

For the most part I like this off season plan. One difference is that instead of the 2nd olineman in the draft we have to take a TE. I can't stand the thought of that poster boy of all scrubs Mulligan being on the team next year.

I would not object to us drafting a punter or pk in the late rounds either.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    For the most part I like this off season plan. One difference is that instead of the 2nd olineman in the draft we have to take a TE. I can't stand the thought of that poster boy of all scrubs Mulligan being on the team next year.

I would not object to us drafting a punter or pk in the late rounds either.
    Agreed, we need an infusion of talent along those lines, but I want no more of Mully and his bonehead penalties

Love the first four picks.