Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Year DE/OLB Production

First Year DE/OLB Production

Looking ahead to 2012 and our desperate need for speed at OLB, I wanted to look back at how the 2011 draft shaped out. Im thrilled with wilkerson and I think he has legitimate pro bowl potential but 2011 was also an amazing year for 3-4 DE/OLB type players in their first year. Below are the top guys....

Aldon Smith - 13 Sacks
    Von Miller - 11 Sacks
    Ryan Kerrigan - 8 Sacks, 1 INT
    Brooks Reed - 6 Sacks
    Sam Acho - 6 Sacks
    Akeem Ayers - 70 tackles, 2 sacks
    Jabaal Sheard - 7.5 Sacks
    Justin Houston - 4 Sacks

These guys all coupled athleticism with actual college production and hopefully that is an indication of college players being ready to step in and contribute right away.

The guy I want to see us come away with is Courtney Upshaw. 23 Career college starts in a 3-4 defense. 16.5 career sacks. 6'3 271 lbs. 1st team all american.

Great guy to get into our defense and start getting younger and faster.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4293984]Looking ahead to 2012 and our desperate need for speed at OLB, I wanted to look back at how the 2011 draft shaped out. Im thrilled with wilkerson and I think he has legitimate pro bowl potential but 2011 was also an amazing year for 3-4 DE/OLB type players in their first year. Below are the top guys....

Aldon Smith - 13 Sacks
    Von Miller - 11 Sacks
    Brooks Reed - 6 Sacks
    Sam Acho - 6 Sacks
    Justin Houston - 4 Sacks

These guys all coupled athleticism with actual college production and hopefully that is an indication of college players being ready to step in and contribute right away.

The guy I want to see us come away with is Courtney Upshaw. 23 Career college starts in a 3-4 defense. 16.5 career sacks. 6'3 271 lbs. 1st team all american.

Great guy to get into our defense and start getting younger and faster.[/QUOTE]

Told you!

it should be noted that Miller, Smith and Kerrigan were long gone by the Jets pick. Sheard is a great player but strictly 4-3.

it should also be noted that 6 sacks or so is what Maybin produced. If the Jets took Akeem Ayers and his 2 sacks that's not exactly earth-shaking.

all that being said I agree with the Upshaw pick. Thomas is done and Pace isn't far behind.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4299015]it should be noted that Miller, Smith and Kerrigan were long gone by the Jets pick. Sheard is a great player but strictly 4-3.

it should also be noted that 6 sacks or so is what Maybin produced. If the Jets took Akeem Ayers and his 2 sacks that's not exactly earth-shaking.

all that being said I agree with the Upshaw pick. Thomas is done and Pace isn't far behind.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree with your post, I was just putting this out there as I was really surprised at how well some of the rookies did.

I sincerely hope Upshaw doesn't kill it at the combine and push himself too far up for us....he is exactly what we need at 270 bs and is fast enough to get 16.5 sacks career.

Upshaw and Griffin (FA Safety only 26) along with an improved wilkerson and hopefully ellis, would give us a nice young group.

All League
    [QUOTE=eaglenj;4299045]Totally agree with your post, I was just putting this out there as I was really surprised at how well some of the rookies did.

I sincerely hope Upshaw doesn't kill it at the combine and push himself too far up for us....he is exactly what we need at 270 bs and is fast enough to get 16.5 sacks career.

Upshaw and [B]Griffin[/B] (FA Safety only 26) along with an improved wilkerson and hopefully ellis, would give us a nice young group.[/QUOTE]

Everything I've heard out of Tennessee has been that Griffin is just bad this year. His best years may have been directly tied to Albert Haynesworth's monster years where he was collapsing the pocket constantly.

I'd much rather pursue FAs Goldson and Nelson, while also drafting a mid-round safety.

When I look at that list I think of the Pats being able to outright choose or move up to get just about any of those players.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4293984]Looking ahead to 2012 and our desperate need for speed at OLB, I wanted to look back at how the 2011 draft shaped out. Im thrilled with wilkerson and I think he has legitimate pro bowl potential but 2011 was also an amazing year for 3-4 DE/OLB type players in their first year. Below are the top guys....

Aldon Smith - 13 Sacks
    Von Miller - 11 Sacks
    Brooks Reed - 6 Sacks
    Sam Acho - 6 Sacks
    Justin Houston - 4 Sacks

speaking of younger and faster, is there any reason why Westerman could not be moved to the inside next season after the Jets, hopefully, draft a starting OLB. I think suddenly the Jets front 7 becomes much younger and more dangerous if it has a LB corps of Pace, Harris, Westerman, and a guy like Upshaw.

[QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4299418]speaking of younger and faster, is there any reason why Westerman could not be moved to the inside next season after the Jets, hopefully, draft a starting OLB. I think suddenly the Jets front 7 becomes much younger and more dangerous if it has a LB corps of Pace, Harris, Westerman, and a guy like Upshaw.[/QUOTE]

B/c he plays like a bi7ch against the run.

Aldon Smith - 13 Sacks
    Von Miller - 11 Sacks
    Brooks Reed - 6 Sacks
    Sam Acho - 6 Sacks
    Justin Houston - 4 Sacks

[B][U]The guy I want to see us come away with is Courtney Upshaw. 23 Career college starts in a 3-4 defense. 16.5 career sacks. 6'3 271 lbs. 1st team all american.[/U][/B]

totally agree. i'd also be good with melvin ingram. in watching bowl games, South Carolina, 'bama and Illinois all have good OLB's that we could take with our first round pick.

[QUOTE=nycuse;4299428]B/c he plays like a bi7ch against the run.[/QUOTE]

I hadn't noticed.

[QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4299445]I hadn't noticed.[/QUOTE]

is why mcintyre was starting over him for a while.

[QUOTE=nycuse;4299451]is why mcintyre was starting over him for a while.[/QUOTE]

kind of surprising to me since he played DE in college and is a pretty big dude at 6'3" 255 lbs. Maybe they should have Bart give him tough guy lessons?

[QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4299456]kind of surprising to me since he played DE in college and is a pretty big dude at 6'3" 255 lbs. Maybe they should have Bart give him tough guy lessons?[/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d825627fb/RB-Bradshaw-19-yd-run-TD[/url]

watch him get turned out by a backup te on this play and his inability to tackle. if you'd like i could find other examples.

All League
    [QUOTE=nycuse;4299471][url]http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantasy/09000d5d825627fb/RB-Bradshaw-19-yd-run-TD[/url]

watch him get turned out by a backup te on this play and his inability to tackle. if you'd like i could find other examples.[/QUOTE]

I agree that Westerman is not an ideal starter...but you're showing an example of a play where the Jets were likely letting the opponent score...

[QUOTE=JamaicanJetFan;4299474]I agree that Westerman is not an ideal starter...but you're showing an example of a play where the Jets were likely letting the opponent score...[/QUOTE]

why would we let them score? it was still a one score game at that point. Brian Thomas blew out his achiles and westerman couldnt even hold on to that spot. hes a situational pass rusher that has trouble getting to the qb. hes jag that probably shouldnt be on a nfl roster.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4299113]When I look at that list I think of the Pats being able to outright choose or move up to get just about any of those players.[/QUOTE]

Yea, Belichick is a genius man!!!!!! :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4299045]Totally agree with your post, I was just putting this out there as I was really surprised at how well some of the rookies did.

Upshaw and Griffin (FA Safety only 26) along with an improved wilkerson and hopefully ellis, would give us a nice young group.[/QUOTE]
    Would love to have Upshaw on the Jets

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4299113]When I look at that list I think of the Pats being able to outright choose or move up to get just about any of those players.[/QUOTE]

Yep, Pats could have KILLED last years draft and totally revamped their defense. I loved that they kept trading back and passing on studs the past 2 years.

I'd still rather Crick or Zach Brown if we go D in the 1st. Really feel Crick is the best 3-4 DE I've seen in a while. Him and Wilk would be a nasty combo IMO. He will with out a doubt go higher then most are projecting right now. Injury aside he is a pro 3-4 DE and that has value. I'm not real high on Upshaw. Will be slow as a pro and will be taken advantage of in the passing game. May even be better off as a ILB or a 4-3 DE.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Dreamers;4299706]I'd still rather Crick or Zach Brown if we go D in the 1st. Really feel Crick is the best 3-4 DE I've seen in a while. Him and Wilk would be a nasty combo IMO. He will with out a doubt go higher then most are projecting right now. Injury aside he is a pro 3-4 DE and that has value. I'm not real high on Upshaw. Will be slow as a pro and will be taken advantage of in the passing game. May even be better off as a ILB or a 4-3 DE.[/QUOTE]

If we go DE early then Fletcher Cox is the way to go. Big dude, extremely athletic and tough and he adds big pass rush potential. He is a true three down lineman...