Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26

Thread: First Year DE/OLB Production

  1. #1
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,084

    First Year DE/OLB Production

    Looking ahead to 2012 and our desperate need for speed at OLB, I wanted to look back at how the 2011 draft shaped out. Im thrilled with wilkerson and I think he has legitimate pro bowl potential but 2011 was also an amazing year for 3-4 DE/OLB type players in their first year. Below are the top guys....

    Aldon Smith - 13 Sacks
    Von Miller - 11 Sacks
    Ryan Kerrigan - 8 Sacks, 1 INT
    Brooks Reed - 6 Sacks
    Sam Acho - 6 Sacks
    Akeem Ayers - 70 tackles, 2 sacks
    Jabaal Sheard - 7.5 Sacks
    Justin Houston - 4 Sacks

    These guys all coupled athleticism with actual college production and hopefully that is an indication of college players being ready to step in and contribute right away.

    The guy I want to see us come away with is Courtney Upshaw. 23 Career college starts in a 3-4 defense. 16.5 career sacks. 6'3 271 lbs. 1st team all american.

    Great guy to get into our defense and start getting younger and faster.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Looking ahead to 2012 and our desperate need for speed at OLB, I wanted to look back at how the 2011 draft shaped out. Im thrilled with wilkerson and I think he has legitimate pro bowl potential but 2011 was also an amazing year for 3-4 DE/OLB type players in their first year. Below are the top guys....

    Aldon Smith - 13 Sacks
    Von Miller - 11 Sacks
    Ryan Kerrigan - 8 Sacks, 1 INT
    Brooks Reed - 6 Sacks
    Sam Acho - 6 Sacks
    Akeem Ayers - 70 tackles, 2 sacks
    Jabaal Sheard - 7.5 Sacks
    Justin Houston - 4 Sacks

    These guys all coupled athleticism with actual college production and hopefully that is an indication of college players being ready to step in and contribute right away.

    The guy I want to see us come away with is Courtney Upshaw. 23 Career college starts in a 3-4 defense. 16.5 career sacks. 6'3 271 lbs. 1st team all american.

    Great guy to get into our defense and start getting younger and faster.
    Told you!

  3. #3
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    38,782
    it should be noted that Miller, Smith and Kerrigan were long gone by the Jets pick. Sheard is a great player but strictly 4-3.

    it should also be noted that 6 sacks or so is what Maybin produced. If the Jets took Akeem Ayers and his 2 sacks that's not exactly earth-shaking.

    all that being said I agree with the Upshaw pick. Thomas is done and Pace isn't far behind.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,084
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    it should be noted that Miller, Smith and Kerrigan were long gone by the Jets pick. Sheard is a great player but strictly 4-3.

    it should also be noted that 6 sacks or so is what Maybin produced. If the Jets took Akeem Ayers and his 2 sacks that's not exactly earth-shaking.

    all that being said I agree with the Upshaw pick. Thomas is done and Pace isn't far behind.
    Totally agree with your post, I was just putting this out there as I was really surprised at how well some of the rookies did.

    I sincerely hope Upshaw doesn't kill it at the combine and push himself too far up for us....he is exactly what we need at 270 bs and is fast enough to get 16.5 sacks career.

    Upshaw and Griffin (FA Safety only 26) along with an improved wilkerson and hopefully ellis, would give us a nice young group.

  5. #5
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Totally agree with your post, I was just putting this out there as I was really surprised at how well some of the rookies did.

    I sincerely hope Upshaw doesn't kill it at the combine and push himself too far up for us....he is exactly what we need at 270 bs and is fast enough to get 16.5 sacks career.

    Upshaw and Griffin (FA Safety only 26) along with an improved wilkerson and hopefully ellis, would give us a nice young group.
    Everything I've heard out of Tennessee has been that Griffin is just bad this year. His best years may have been directly tied to Albert Haynesworth's monster years where he was collapsing the pocket constantly.

    I'd much rather pursue FAs Goldson and Nelson, while also drafting a mid-round safety.

  6. #6
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    22,031
    When I look at that list I think of the Pats being able to outright choose or move up to get just about any of those players.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Looking ahead to 2012 and our desperate need for speed at OLB, I wanted to look back at how the 2011 draft shaped out. Im thrilled with wilkerson and I think he has legitimate pro bowl potential but 2011 was also an amazing year for 3-4 DE/OLB type players in their first year. Below are the top guys....

    Aldon Smith - 13 Sacks
    Von Miller - 11 Sacks
    Ryan Kerrigan - 8 Sacks, 1 INT
    Brooks Reed - 6 Sacks
    Sam Acho - 6 Sacks
    Akeem Ayers - 70 tackles, 2 sacks
    Jabaal Sheard - 7.5 Sacks
    Justin Houston - 4 Sacks

    These guys all coupled athleticism with actual college production and hopefully that is an indication of college players being ready to step in and contribute right away.

    The guy I want to see us come away with is Courtney Upshaw. 23 Career college starts in a 3-4 defense. 16.5 career sacks. 6'3 271 lbs. 1st team all american.

    Great guy to get into our defense and start getting younger and faster.
    speaking of younger and faster, is there any reason why Westerman could not be moved to the inside next season after the Jets, hopefully, draft a starting OLB. I think suddenly the Jets front 7 becomes much younger and more dangerous if it has a LB corps of Pace, Harris, Westerman, and a guy like Upshaw.

  8. #8
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    speaking of younger and faster, is there any reason why Westerman could not be moved to the inside next season after the Jets, hopefully, draft a starting OLB. I think suddenly the Jets front 7 becomes much younger and more dangerous if it has a LB corps of Pace, Harris, Westerman, and a guy like Upshaw.
    B/c he plays like a bi7ch against the run.

  9. #9
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Looking ahead to 2012 and our desperate need for speed at OLB, I wanted to look back at how the 2011 draft shaped out. Im thrilled with wilkerson and I think he has legitimate pro bowl potential but 2011 was also an amazing year for 3-4 DE/OLB type players in their first year. Below are the top guys....

    Aldon Smith - 13 Sacks
    Von Miller - 11 Sacks
    Ryan Kerrigan - 8 Sacks, 1 INT
    Brooks Reed - 6 Sacks
    Sam Acho - 6 Sacks
    Akeem Ayers - 70 tackles, 2 sacks
    Jabaal Sheard - 7.5 Sacks
    Justin Houston - 4 Sacks

    These guys all coupled athleticism with actual college production and hopefully that is an indication of college players being ready to step in and contribute right away.

    The guy I want to see us come away with is Courtney Upshaw. 23 Career college starts in a 3-4 defense. 16.5 career sacks. 6'3 271 lbs. 1st team all american.

    Great guy to get into our defense and start getting younger and faster.
    totally agree. i'd also be good with melvin ingram. in watching bowl games, South Carolina, 'bama and Illinois all have good OLB's that we could take with our first round pick.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    B/c he plays like a bi7ch against the run.
    I hadn't noticed.

  11. #11
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I hadn't noticed.
    is why mcintyre was starting over him for a while.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    is why mcintyre was starting over him for a while.
    kind of surprising to me since he played DE in college and is a pretty big dude at 6'3" 255 lbs. Maybe they should have Bart give him tough guy lessons?

  13. #13
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    kind of surprising to me since he played DE in college and is a pretty big dude at 6'3" 255 lbs. Maybe they should have Bart give him tough guy lessons?
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantas...w-19-yd-run-TD

    watch him get turned out by a backup te on this play and his inability to tackle. if you'd like i could find other examples.

  14. #14
    All League
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Posts
    2,841
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-fantas...w-19-yd-run-TD

    watch him get turned out by a backup te on this play and his inability to tackle. if you'd like i could find other examples.
    I agree that Westerman is not an ideal starter...but you're showing an example of a play where the Jets were likely letting the opponent score...

  15. #15
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,452
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I agree that Westerman is not an ideal starter...but you're showing an example of a play where the Jets were likely letting the opponent score...
    why would we let them score? it was still a one score game at that point. Brian Thomas blew out his achiles and westerman couldnt even hold on to that spot. hes a situational pass rusher that has trouble getting to the qb. hes jag that probably shouldnt be on a nfl roster.

  16. #16
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    8,440
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    When I look at that list I think of the Pats being able to outright choose or move up to get just about any of those players.
    Yea, Belichick is a genius man!!!!!!

  17. #17
    All League
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    4,088
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Totally agree with your post, I was just putting this out there as I was really surprised at how well some of the rookies did.

    I sincerely hope Upshaw doesn't kill it at the combine and push himself too far up for us....he is exactly what we need at 270 bs and is fast enough to get 16.5 sacks career.

    Upshaw and Griffin (FA Safety only 26) along with an improved wilkerson and hopefully ellis, would give us a nice young group.
    Would love to have Upshaw on the Jets

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    When I look at that list I think of the Pats being able to outright choose or move up to get just about any of those players.
    Yep, Pats could have KILLED last years draft and totally revamped their defense. I loved that they kept trading back and passing on studs the past 2 years.

  19. #19
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    7,580
    I'd still rather Crick or Zach Brown if we go D in the 1st. Really feel Crick is the best 3-4 DE I've seen in a while. Him and Wilk would be a nasty combo IMO. He will with out a doubt go higher then most are projecting right now. Injury aside he is a pro 3-4 DE and that has value. I'm not real high on Upshaw. Will be slow as a pro and will be taken advantage of in the passing game. May even be better off as a ILB or a 4-3 DE.

  20. #20
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I'd still rather Crick or Zach Brown if we go D in the 1st. Really feel Crick is the best 3-4 DE I've seen in a while. Him and Wilk would be a nasty combo IMO. He will with out a doubt go higher then most are projecting right now. Injury aside he is a pro 3-4 DE and that has value. I'm not real high on Upshaw. Will be slow as a pro and will be taken advantage of in the passing game. May even be better off as a ILB or a 4-3 DE.
    If we go DE early then Fletcher Cox is the way to go. Big dude, extremely athletic and tough and he adds big pass rush potential. He is a true three down lineman...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us