Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eric Smith

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4296230][url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwj90GMIeu8[/url]

first off Cro and Kyle Wilson wiffed, that was not good. To blame Eric Smith for this situation is unfair.

but evaluating Eric Smith, my interpretation was he caught up to Cruz and made a desperate leap for his ankles. Cruz hurdled the ankle tackle and went the distance.

One possibility Eric Smith was out of gas (at their 45 yard line? not acceptable) or just a bad decision? too slow is a harsh phrase but it was too slow for a safety.

Another safety could have ran with him for 20 more yards and ran him out of bounds. it would have been a big play but not a huge play. That pretty much is the job of the deep safety in that D is to prevent that situation and make that tackle.

but it all starts with Cro and Kyle Wilson. To see that 3rd and 10 on their 1 yard line turn into a 10-7 deficit was truly a dagger. it took the wind out of the stadium (which was majority Jets fans) and they never got the lead again.

if you are a real glutton for punishment, watch the pass Eli makes under extreme pressure in his own end zone. I think it was Mayhem who got a clean shot.[/QUOTE]

Unfair my a**. Thier WR made a great football move. This is the NFL, that happends.
    Smith took a god awful angle on that play. It's absolutly fair to blame him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsonly;4296265]Unfair my a**. Thier WR made a great football move. This is the NFL, that happends.
    Smith took a god awful angle on that play. It's absolutly fair to blame him.[/QUOTE]

my point is that Eric Smith was the 3rd missed tackle on that play. Cro and Kyle Wilson are actually more to blame.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Watch from 0.15 to 0.18 on that clip, preferrably by stopping and starting. It is virtually amazing how slow Smith is compared to Cruz, it's like watching those super imposed versions of Rich Eisen vs Chris Johnson in the 40 yard dash. Smith can't run any more than a 4.8 these days I'd wager.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eric Smith is an outstanding run defender and a good special teamer. He's terrible in coverage.

He'd be a good backup, and hopefully that's what he will be next year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4296230][URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gwj90GMIeu8[/URL]

first off Cro and Kyle Wilson wiffed, that was not good. To blame Eric Smith for this situation is unfair.

but evaluating Eric Smith, my interpretation was he caught up to Cruz and made a desperate leap for his ankles. Cruz hurdled the ankle tackle and went the distance.

One possibility Eric Smith was out of gas (at their 45 yard line? not acceptable) or just a bad decision? too slow is a harsh phrase but it was too slow for a safety.

Another safety could have ran with him for 20 more yards and ran him out of bounds. it would have been a big play but not a huge play. That pretty much is the job of the deep safety in that D is to prevent that situation and make that tackle.

but it all starts with Cro and Kyle Wilson. To see that 3rd and 10 on their 1 yard line turn into a 10-7 deficit was truly a dagger. it took the wind out of the stadium (which was majority Jets fans) and they never got the lead again.

if you are a real glutton for punishment, watch the pass Eli makes under extreme pressure in his own end zone. I think it was Mayhem who got a clean shot.[/QUOTE]

Smith has decent speed for a linebacker. Unfortunately, he's not a linebacker.

Just like Garrett McIntyre has good speed for a nose tackle. Unfortunately, there's no position for this turd.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4297050]Smith has decent speed for a linebacker. Unfortunately, he's not a linebacker.

Just like Garrett McIntyre has good speed for a nose tackle. Unfortunately, there's no position for this turd.[/QUOTE]

True. Eric Smith is useless as a safety in todays NFL. Very limited in what he can do. Now that you are not allowed to hit receivers, he really has zero value.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetsonly;4296265]Unfair my a**. Thier WR made a great football move. This is the NFL, that happends.
    Smith took a god awful angle on that play. It's absolutly fair to blame him.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]He ALWAYS seems to take a god awful angle.[/COLOR]

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sec.101row23;4297055]True. Eric Smith is useless as a safety in todays NFL. Very limited in what he can do. [B]Now that you are not allowed to hit receivers, he really has zero value[/B].[/QUOTE]
    Excellent point.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4297044]Watch from 0.15 to 0.18 on that clip, preferrably by stopping and starting. It is virtually amazing how slow Smith is compared to Cruz, it's like watching those super imposed versions of Rich Eisen vs Chris Johnson in the 40 yard dash. Smith can't run any more than a 4.8 these days I'd wager.[/QUOTE]

Agree, I'd say its more a lack of speed than a bad angle by Smith. Not sure if there was any angle that Smith could have taken and caught Cruz, with the difference in their speed.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;4297049]Eric Smith is an outstanding run defender and a good special teamer. He's terrible in coverage.

He'd be a good backup, and hopefully that's what he will be next year.[/QUOTE]

Outstanding run defender. Really?? I mean really? Most safeties that are considered great in run support make plays on the outside and behind the LOS.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=IRONFAN 40;4297091]Outstanding run defender. Really?? I mean really? Most safeties that are considered great in run support make plays on the outside and behind the LOS.[/QUOTE]

Yes, he is generally very good against the run and in the box generally. His issues come when he has to play in space or gets matched with athletic TEs (obviously).

He was a valuable role player for us the past two seasons, and could be again. He's been a disaster as an every-down guy.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its a regulation play for an NFL safety, Smith is just too slow for the position. Think about all the back breaking plays the defense has given up this year, virtually all of them involve Smith being completely exposed in coverage or whiffing on tackles.

Safety has to be a priority on the off-season, this crap Rex talks about having good corners and scheming to cover the TE doesn't work and hasn't worked since he arrived.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    That wasn't a coverage issue on that play (Smith sucks at that too), he was simply too slow and also out of position. He really shouldn't even be on the field besides ST's.