Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I was at Giants/Jets game... Heres my view on Sanchez

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

I was at Giants/Jets game... Heres my view on Sanchez

First of all this was the first live game I've been to this year. I got great seats mid-field 9 rows up. I've watch every game this year on TV but seeing a live game this year is very disturbing on Sanchez's developement over the last 3 years.

1. His field vision is poor... He does not scan the field and locks onto his reviecer a lot. It seems to me that the game is too fast for him. He has that I looked one way I better throw cause I wont have time to look the other way... even though the Jets did a good job protecting him this game. He rarely looks deep. There were a few plays where there was a wide open Jet down the field but Sanchez failed to see him. This is caused by both his poor field vision and locking on a single player when he snaps the ball. There was a play in the second half Kerley made a nice outside in move 20 yards down the field. He was wide open and instead Sanchez did not see him and dumped the ball off to Keller. If you did not see this game live then you couldn't have catch this. There was another play where it was a play action roll out to the right and they had Keller coming across the field from left to right and he was absolutely wide open. You could hear everyone including me yelling... throw the F@&%ing ball idiot. He finally sees him at the very last second when the Giants defense already corrected their mistake and the ball was nearly INT but luckily batted down.

2. Poor acuracy... Man, some of the throws he makes were absolutely atrocious. There was one play that suck out of my mind in the first half where LT came out of the back field and up the left sideline and the guy next to me said "ohhh he got him." The reason being was that LT had his man beat by 3 steps and Sanchez was looking that way, throws the ball and we all thought LT was going to atleast have a huge gain.. Well it was over thrown by 5 yards. There were countless plays where Sanchez threw it behind, or over recievers where we would normally see a above average QB make that play routinely. Maybe even an average QB make on a consistant basis so watching those passes miss it was almost unreal. Just look at his completion %. When you throw as much short passes and dink and dunks you would expect a guy to have a higher % than others but he has one of the lowest? Unreal

3. Poor pocket awareness... This is mainly due to poor field vision. I'm tired of posts about how the Jets should have the best OL in the NFL. This just doen't happen every year. There are plenty of QB's who have had more sucess in the past with less of a OL than Sanchez did this year. He holds onto the ball for way too long. He cannot feel the rush and move around in the pocket as well as other QB's. He is almost a deer caught in the headlights. You can see him shaking and undecisive after the player he locked in on is covered. The biggest sign is his passes that get batted down/tipped at the line... WOW WAS THERE MANY OF THOSE THIS GAME. I counted about 8 of them but there might be more between bathroom breaks and the food runs. I know some here says hes short, and obviously compared to Eli Sanchez looks short/smaller than Eli but Drew Brees is a tiny man. I think hes 5-11 not like his listed 6-0 and Brees does not get as many batted passes as Sanchez... Only one way to explain it. Poor pocket awareness.

Other factors...

Schotty... Yes I know he is probably not the best OC in the world but the plays were there for Sanchez to make. There were guys open. I think his plays are vanilla most the time except for the worst part of his coaching which is his complicated trickery plays... You know those mis-direction reverses etc. Thats his way of being agressive which is th wrong aproach. Maybe he is doing his best with what he is given... thats not a lot considering he has a QB with those deficiencies. Most of all, I don't like that Sanchez sucks and that Schotty is the one who is responsible for him. Maybe its his fault or not but he has to have something to do with Sanchez's development.

Weapons... Man is Plaxico bad. I know he had some sucess in the red zone this year but the rest of the game he is MIA. He runs poor routes, has absolutely no burst/explosiveness/speed to think of. He looks his age right now and that is bad considering hes not fast to begin with. Dusin Keller droped some balls. I like his athletic ability and his ability to get open but he had 2-3 balls that he droped that I said man... we drafted you to catch and we over looked your poor blocking but yet you can't make a routing catch? No explosiveness from the running game. Greene is a good 2 down bruiser but he can't catch to save his life. When he is in there you almost always know they are going to run. LT lost a step but I am not going to knock him cause he comes to play when giving the oppurtunity. Kerley is a good player within 15-20 yards tops. He is quick but no straight line speed. Overall we really need some speed to this offense. You saw how Eli dumped it off to Cruz and he broke some tackles and turned in a big gain. I don't think we have a guy like that except maybe Holmes who constantly sees double teams cause he is the only player defenses are afraid of.

Conclusion...

I think Sanchez should get another shot next year with a new OC. If I had it my way we would just cut our losses now and start grooming someone else but we did invested time/money/picks for him so that all means that we HAVE TO stick with him for another year. You all will eventually see what I see... including the Jets FO. You can already tell the fan base and this board turning against Sanchez. Well I've turned a LONGGGGG time ago. No QB will improve all those flaws over night.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just like I thought. we need to get rid of dump this dude.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good factual post. Sanchez's accuracy has gotten worst this season. Had McKnight down field for a 30+ yd completion,again overthrew him by 5 yds. Sanchez will be back in 2012 but he"ll have a veteran QB in camp with him trying to win the starting job. Sanchez just lost his "free get out of jail card".Next year it's play well or sit.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He is actually pretty accurate. He just doesn't always look before he throws. Shotty has him just hitting spots if the WRs aren't there he just looks off. That all goes down to his field vision which is very lacking. He has grown here but not nearly enough. He simply does not adjust and sometimes seems to be running a different play from the rest of the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe those "vanilla plays" are all this QB can handle right now

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Rex Ryan;4295945]First of all this was the first live game I've been to this year. I got great seats mid-field 9 rows up. I've watch every game this year on TV but seeing a live game this year is very disturbing on Sanchez's developement over the last 3 years.

1. His field vision is poor... He does not scan the field and locks onto his reviecer a lot. It seems to me that the game is too fast for him. He has that I looked one way I better throw cause I wont have time to look the other way... even though the Jets did a good job protecting him this game. He rarely looks deep. There were a few plays where there was a wide open Jet down the field but Sanchez failed to see him. This is caused by both his poor field vision and locking on a single player when he snaps the ball. There was a play in the second half Kerley made a nice outside in move 20 yards down the field. He was wide open and instead Sanchez did not see him and dumped the ball off to Keller. If you did not see this game live then you couldn't have catch this. There was another play where it was a play action roll out to the right and they had Keller coming across the field from left to right and he was absolutely wide open. You could hear everyone including me yelling... throw the F@&%ing ball idiot. He finally sees him at the very last second when the Giants defense already corrected their mistake and the ball was nearly INT but luckily batted down.

2. Poor acuracy... Man, some of the throws he makes were absolutely atrocious. There was one play that suck out of my mind in the first half where LT came out of the back field and up the left sideline and the guy next to me said "ohhh he got him." The reason being was that LT had his man beat by 3 steps and Sanchez was looking that way, throws the ball and we all thought LT was going to atleast have a huge gain.. Well it was over thrown by 5 yards. There were countless plays where Sanchez threw it behind, or over recievers where we would normally see a above average QB make that play routinely. Maybe even an average QB make on a consistant basis so watching those passes miss it was almost unreal. Just look at his completion %. When you throw as much short passes and dink and dunks you would expect a guy to have a higher % than others but he has one of the lowest? Unreal

3. Poor pocket awareness... This is mainly due to poor field vision. I'm tired of posts about how the Jets should have the best OL in the NFL. This just doen't happen every year. There are plenty of QB's who have had more sucess in the past with less of a OL than Sanchez did this year. He holds onto the ball for way too long. He cannot feel the rush and move around in the pocket as well as other QB's. He is almost a deer caught in the headlights. You can see him shaking and undecisive after the player he locked in on is covered. The biggest sign is his passes that get batted down/tipped at the line... WOW WAS THERE MANY OF THOSE THIS GAME. I counted about 8 of them but there might be more between bathroom breaks and the food runs. I know some here says hes short, and obviously compared to Eli Sanchez looks short/smaller than Eli but Drew Brees is a tiny man. I think hes 5-11 not like his listed 6-0 and Brees does not get as many batted passes as Sanchez... Only one way to explain it. Poor pocket awareness.

Other factors...

Schotty... Yes I know he is probably not the best OC in the world but the plays were there for Sanchez to make. There were guys open. I think his plays are vanilla most the time except for the worst part of his coaching which is his complicated trickery plays... You know those mis-direction reverses etc. Thats his way of being agressive which is th wrong aproach. Maybe he is doing his best with what he is given... thats not a lot considering he has a QB with those deficiencies. Most of all, I don't like that Sanchez sucks and that Schotty is the one who is responsible for him. Maybe its his fault or not but he has to have something to do with Sanchez's development.

Weapons... Man is Plaxico bad. I know he had some sucess in the red zone this year but the rest of the game he is MIA. He runs poor routes, has absolutely no burst/explosiveness/speed to think of. He looks his age right now and that is bad considering hes not fast to begin with. Dusin Keller droped some balls. I like his athletic ability and his ability to get open but he had 2-3 balls that he droped that I said man... we drafted you to catch and we over looked your poor blocking but yet you can't make a routing catch? No explosiveness from the running game. Greene is a good 2 down bruiser but he can't catch to save his life. When he is in there you almost always know they are going to run. LT lost a step but I am not going to knock him cause he comes to play when giving the oppurtunity. Kerley is a good player within 15-20 yards tops. He is quick but no straight line speed. Overall we really need some speed to this offense. You saw how Eli dumped it off to Cruz and he broke some tackles and turned in a big gain. I don't think we have a guy like that except maybe Holmes who constantly sees double teams cause he is the only player defenses are afraid of.

Conclusion...

I think Sanchez should get another shot next year with a new OC. If I had it my way we would just cut our losses now and start grooming someone else but we did invested time/money/picks for him so that all means that we HAVE TO stick with him for another year. You all will eventually see what I see... including the Jets FO. You can already tell the fan base and this board turning against Sanchez. Well I've turned a LONGGGGG time ago. No QB will improve all those flaws over night.[/QUOTE]

Well what was your alternative suggestion?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=LI JET FAN;4295960]Good factual post. Sanchez's accuracy has gotten worst this season. Had McKnight down field for a 30+ yd completion,again overthrew him by 5 yds. Sanchez will be back in 2012 but he"ll have a veteran QB in camp with him trying to win the starting job. Sanchez just lost his "free get out of jail card".Next year it's play well or sit.[/QUOTE]

Actually his accuracy has gotten better over his three years

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not suggesting any alternatives... just posting my thoughts on Sanchez from what i saw first time this season. I know your probably on the Sanchez banwagon so I won't try to change your mind but every Jet fan in that stadium had the same sentiment about Sanchez. We all felt there were plays he seriously did/could not make and it was frustrating watching him. His completion % improved slightly for 3 years but still is at or near the very bottom of the NFL. You would think a dink and dunk QB like Sanchez would have a better % considering all his passes are within 10-12 yards?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4296000]Maybe those "vanilla plays" are all this QB can handle right now[/QUOTE]

Great point! You might have hit the nail on the head.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Go back to the color coding, Rex.

Its the only way.

Missing wide open WR's down field is unacceptable unless you only have
    2-seconds cause of the blitz.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Rex Ryan;4296088]Not suggesting any alternatives... just posting my thoughts on Sanchez from what i saw first time this season. I know your probably on the Sanchez banwagon so I won't try to change your mind but every Jet fan in that stadium had the same sentiment about Sanchez. We all felt there were plays he seriously did/could not make and it was frustrating watching him. His completion % improved slightly for 3 years but still is at or near the very bottom of the NFL. You would think a dink and dunk QB like Sanchez would have a better % considering all his passes are within 10-12 yards?[/QUOTE]

Thank you for posting your views. I tend to agree with you but did not have the ability to see him in person. It gets tiring to see some hero worshipers here make excuses for the guy. Mark is a perfectionist and he would not excuse his play if asked. Too bad his fans don't act the same way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sanchez's stats are comparable to Eli's this year. Eli has thrown for more yards and has a higher completion percentage, but they are around even for TDs, INTs and fumbles. Despite the fact that one is in his eighth year and one is in his third.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Eckesg1;4296076]Actually his accuracy has gotten better over his three years[/QUOTE]

didnt he hit keller in the head 3 times? that make him innacurate?

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4296000]Maybe those "vanilla plays" are all this QB can handle right now[/QUOTE] This is a great post C-Mart. Many are blaming Shotty but we really don't know if he is forced to call these vanilla plays because of Sanchez's limitations right now...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really do hope that Sanchez ends up like Eli... I think that is Sanchez's ceiling a guy like Eli who can manage a game and make a play or 2 to win one. Right now he has a lot of work to do and I really do hope he pans out to be a Eli type of QB. I really don't want these 3 years to be a waste of time/picks/money (Not my money but we could have used the cash to improved other areas). I really do hope he improves next year but as of right now I cannot make excuses for him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChadOwnsBrady;4296120]Sanchez's stats are comparable to Eli's this year. Eli has thrown for more yards and has a higher completion percentage, but they are around even for TDs, INTs and fumbles. Despite the fact that one is in his [B]eighth year and one is in his third[/B].[/QUOTE]

Does that mean we have to let him suck for another 5 years before we develop a plan to replace him? Or are you saying that Eli sucks soo bad MS is pretty close to him statistically speaking.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TKasper01;4296135]Does that mean we have to let him suck for another 5 years before we develop a plan to replace him? Or are you saying that Eli sucks soo bad MS is pretty close to him statistically speaking.[/QUOTE]

I'm saying that it's ridiculous that the media fawns over one like he's the Johnny U and talks about the other one like he is hepatitis. The bottom line is Mark Sanchez has improved exponentially every single year he's been in the league and the MTV esque impatience of NFL fans in regards to QBs is ridiculous. Rodgers got to sit 3 years, check out Brees' first few years, Eli's first few years were similar to Sanchez. Almost every QB not named Peyton Manning has had growing pains through his early period, Sanchez is not being given a fair shake.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ChadOwnsBrady;4296151]I'm saying that it's ridiculous that the media fawns over one like he's the Johnny U and talks about the other one like he is hepatitis. The bottom line is Mark Sanchez has improved exponentially every single year he's been in the league and the MTV esque impatience of NFL fans in regards to QBs is ridiculous. Rodgers got to sit 3 years, check out Brees' first few years, Eli's first few years were similar to Sanchez. Almost every QB not named Peyton Manning has had growing pains through his early period, Sanchez is not being given a fair shake.[/QUOTE]
    o
    Not to mention, Eli was the team goat last year with his 25 interceptions - three years after winning the superbowl.

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that we were discussing that Sanchez with his numbers was on pace to be named as a Pro Bowl alternate? Now the team is thinking about getting rid of him.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4296158]o
    Not to mention, Eli was the team goat last year with his 25 interceptions - three years after winning the superbowl.

Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that we were discussing that Sanchez with his numbers was on pace to be named as a Pro Bowl alternate? Now the team is thinking about getting rid of him.[/QUOTE]

Absolutely. I like Eli, I think he's a good QB, but the disparity in the media is just insane.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Rex Ryan;4296131]This is a great post C-Mart. Many are blaming Shotty but we really don't know if he is forced to call these vanilla plays because of Sanchez's limitations right now...[/QUOTE]

I believe this is what's happening. But Shotty still needs to go!