Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I was at Giants/Jets game... Heres my view on Sanchez

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Rex Ryan;4296131]This is a great post C-Mart. Many are blaming Shotty but we really don't know if he is forced to call these vanilla plays because of Sanchez's limitations right now...[/QUOTE]

That's all I have been trying to say for the past couple of years...

None of us know what Sanchez can or can't handle.

None of us are in the meetings, watching film...

None of us know what the play was called..What the D was playing...If Sanchez can change the play and to what..

None of us knows what Sanchez sees when he comes to the line

None of us know what Sanchez sees when he drops back to pass

None of us know what Sanchez's thought process is when he is in the pocket

The coaches do because on the sideline and in the meetings they'll go over the film and ask Sanchez what is he doing/thinking there..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4296575]That's all I have been trying to say for the past couple of years...

None of us know what the play was called..What the D was playing...If Sanchez can change the play and to what..

The coaches do because on the sideline and in the meetings they'll go over the film and ask Sanchez what is he doing/thinking there..[/QUOTE]

Dude,you make way to much sense for this board.All we can judge is what unfolds and in most cases,it's not good.Even when this kid makes a great play,it's because of the receivers doing something special.I will give him credit for even giving them that opportunity,but you can't live throwing into coverage consistantly.There's no way anyone will get me to believe shooty coaches thiskid to throw into coverage or to never step up into the pocket to avoid the rush.How is it possible we have the best center in theleague and our QB is always scrambling to the sidelines or falling backinto the backfield further and further when our weak spot is supposedly at RT.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TKasper01;4296135]Does that mean we have to [B]let him suck for another 5 years[/B] before we develop a plan to replace him? Or are you saying that Eli sucks soo bad MS is pretty close to him statistically speaking.[/QUOTE]

Suck for another five years?..Just another sort sighted Jets fan, guess going to the AFC championship game is not good enough for ya.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4296575]That's all I have been trying to say for the past couple of years...

The coaches do because on the sideline and in the meetings they'll go over the film and ask Sanchez what is he doing/thinking there..[/QUOTE]

You really think the coaches know whats going on and what to do? If Sanchez was such a prob then why the hell continuously call for a rediculous amount of pass plays (almost 70)?!!?!? What happened to Rex wanting a more balanced attacked a few weeks ago?? You shouldn't give the coaches that much credit just because of their title. Look what they are doing. Rex talking the talk yet not backing it up. You think that he knows what he is doing with that? Putting Sanchez on the bench in practice and then asking him to pass a rediculous amount of times? Why the hell would you make the qb you put on the bench and have doubts about be the one to carry you in the game and rely on no others?!?!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=B2 Bomber;4296662]You really think the coaches know whats going on and what to do? If Sanchez was such a prob then why the hell continuously call for a rediculous amount of pass plays (almost 70)?!!?!? What happened to Rex wanting a more balanced attacked a few weeks ago?? You shouldn't give the coaches that much credit just because of their title. Look what they are doing. Rex talking the talk yet not backing it up. You think that he knows what he is doing with that? Putting Sanchez on the bench in practice and then asking him to pass a rediculous amount of times? Why the hell would you make the qb you put on the bench and have doubts about be the one to carry you in the game and rely on no others?!?![/QUOTE]

Exactly, if the coaches know all this about Sanchez and we are running the ball effectively against the Giants, why in the hell are we throwing the ball 64 times in a for the most part a 3 point game....

Schotty should have been fired right after the game if this is the case....

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

I will tell you what I do know:

You have two possible major problems that are co-dependent on each other: coordinator and qb.

Coordinator has been around longer (6 years > 3 years)

Coordinator has failed with different variables (3 other QBs) QB has not had different variables (only 1 OC)

other variables coordinator has worked with have strived IMMEDIATELY (except for Clemens) after leaving coordinator

getting rid of coordinator is SIGNIFICANTLY CHEAPER than getting rid of QB.

Which of the two do you get rid of?

Sanchez may or may not ultimately be the answer, but Shottenheimer is simply INDEFENSIBLE at this point.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=B2 Bomber;4296662]You really think the coaches know whats going on and what to do? If Sanchez was such a prob then why the hell continuously call for a rediculous amount of pass plays (almost 70)?!!?!? What happened to Rex wanting a more balanced attacked a few weeks ago?? You shouldn't give the coaches that much credit just because of their title. Look what they are doing. Rex talking the talk yet not backing it up. You think that he knows what he is doing with that? Putting Sanchez on the bench in practice and then asking him to pass a rediculous amount of times? Why the hell would you make the qb you put on the bench and have doubts about be the one to carry you in the game and rely on no others?!?![/QUOTE]

I'm making a general point about the QB/O...Not 1 game. The original comment was that it looks like the Jets run vanilla plays. My original point is maybe vanilla plays is all this QB can handle right now.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know what I find funny about the claim of open recievers. Let's just say that there are open recievers. Well aren't pass plays designed so that the first read is the reciever most likely to be open? Why is it that the first read is not open but the 2d, 3d and 4th are? BTW, this whole idea of a QB methodically going through a "progression" on each play is a coaching myth. The vast majority of throws are made to the first read - the primary reciever. The play is designed to get this guy open so he normally is open enough to make the pass attempt. Then a few passes are made to the secondary reciever. It is rare for a QB to get beyond his second read because by that time he should be on his back or flushed out of the pocket, and once out of the pocket it is a broken play and the progession goes out the window.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Rex Ryan;4295945]First of all this was the first live game I've been to this year. I got great seats mid-field 9 rows up. I've watch every game this year on TV but seeing a live game this year is very disturbing on Sanchez's developement over the last 3 years.

1. His field vision is poor... He does not scan the field and locks onto his reviecer a lot. It seems to me that the game is too fast for him. [B]He has that I looked one way I better throw cause I wont have time to look the other way... even though the Jets did a good job protecting him this game.[/B] He rarely looks deep. There were a few plays where there was a wide open Jet down the field but Sanchez failed to see him. This is caused by both his poor field vision and locking on a single player when he snaps the ball. There was a play in the second half Kerley made a nice outside in move 20 yards down the field. He was wide open and instead Sanchez did not see him and dumped the ball off to Keller. If you did not see this game live then you couldn't have catch this. There was another play where it was a play action roll out to the right and they had Keller coming across the field from left to right and he was absolutely wide open. You could hear everyone including me yelling... throw the F@&%ing ball idiot. He finally sees him at the very last second when the Giants defense already corrected their mistake and the ball was nearly INT but luckily batted down.

2. Poor acuracy... Man, some of the throws he makes were absolutely atrocious. There was one play that suck out of my mind in the first half where LT came out of the back field and up the left sideline and the guy next to me said "ohhh he got him." The reason being was that LT had his man beat by 3 steps and Sanchez was looking that way, throws the ball and we all thought LT was going to atleast have a huge gain.. Well it was over thrown by 5 yards. There were countless plays where Sanchez threw it behind, or over recievers where we would normally see a above average QB make that play routinely. Maybe even an average QB make on a consistant basis so watching those passes miss it was almost unreal. Just look at his completion %. When you throw as much short passes and dink and dunks you would expect a guy to have a higher % than others but he has one of the lowest? Unreal

3. Poor pocket awareness... This is mainly due to poor field vision. I'm tired of posts about how the Jets should have the best OL in the NFL. This just doen't happen every year. There are plenty of QB's who have had more sucess in the past with less of a OL than Sanchez did this year. He holds onto the ball for way too long. He cannot feel the rush and move around in the pocket as well as other QB's. He is almost a deer caught in the headlights. You can see him shaking and undecisive after the player he locked in on is covered. The biggest sign is his passes that get batted down/tipped at the line... WOW WAS THERE MANY OF THOSE THIS GAME. I counted about 8 of them but there might be more between bathroom breaks and the food runs. I know some here says hes short, and obviously compared to Eli Sanchez looks short/smaller than Eli but Drew Brees is a tiny man. I think hes 5-11 not like his listed 6-0 and Brees does not get as many batted passes as Sanchez... Only one way to explain it. Poor pocket awareness.

Other factors...

Schotty... Yes I know he is probably not the best OC in the world but the plays were there for Sanchez to make. There were guys open. I think his plays are vanilla most the time except for the worst part of his coaching which is his complicated trickery plays... You know those mis-direction reverses etc. Thats his way of being agressive which is th wrong aproach. Maybe he is doing his best with what he is given... thats not a lot considering he has a QB with those deficiencies. Most of all, I don't like that Sanchez sucks and that Schotty is the one who is responsible for him. Maybe its his fault or not but he has to have something to do with Sanchez's development.

Weapons... Man is Plaxico bad. I know he had some sucess in the red zone this year but the rest of the game he is MIA. He runs poor routes, has absolutely no burst/explosiveness/speed to think of. He looks his age right now and that is bad considering hes not fast to begin with. Dusin Keller droped some balls. I like his athletic ability and his ability to get open but he had 2-3 balls that he droped that I said man... we drafted you to catch and we over looked your poor blocking but yet you can't make a routing catch? No explosiveness from the running game. Greene is a good 2 down bruiser but he can't catch to save his life. When he is in there you almost always know they are going to run. LT lost a step but I am not going to knock him cause he comes to play when giving the oppurtunity. Kerley is a good player within 15-20 yards tops. He is quick but no straight line speed. Overall we really need some speed to this offense. You saw how Eli dumped it off to Cruz and he broke some tackles and turned in a big gain. I don't think we have a guy like that except maybe Holmes who constantly sees double teams cause he is the only player defenses are afraid of.

Conclusion...

I think Sanchez should get another shot next year with a new OC. If I had it my way we would just cut our losses now and start grooming someone else but we did invested time/money/picks for him so that all means that we HAVE TO stick with him for another year. You all will eventually see what I see... including the Jets FO. You can already tell the fan base and this board turning against Sanchez. Well I've turned a LONGGGGG time ago. No QB will improve all those flaws over night.[/QUOTE]

I stopped reading around the bolded part. Watching the games at home does have an advantage. He was not protected well at all.

All day the giants were getting in the backfield, and Sanchez shook. And you could see it on one specific play when we were in the red zone, Pierre-Paul ran right across sanchez, missed him and fell down. What does sanchez do, move left and before he makes a throw, LOOK BACK AND SEE WHERE HE IS becuase he was hounding Sanchez all day.
    How many batted passes were there??? Thats a combination of Sanchez being a shorter QB and the giants D-Line just pushing our O-Line back. We need to open up passing lanes for sanchez, ala Drew Brees.

PP himself, had 2 sacks, 3 knock downs, and oh dont forget that hit on Sanchez that was ruled a fumble but overturned to an incomplete pass, Sanchez got HAMMERED

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Maury77;4296682]I will tell you what I do know:

You have two possible major problems that are co-dependent on each other: coordinator and qb.

Coordinator has failed with different variables (3 other QBs) QB has not had different variables (only 1 OC)

other variables coordinator has worked with have strived IMMEDIATELY (except for Clemens) after leaving coordinator

Sanchez may or may not ultimately be the answer, but Shottenheimer is simply INDEFENSIBLE at this point.[/QUOTE]

Well said.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bgivs21;4296695]I stopped reading around the bolded part. Watching the games at home does have an advantage. He was not protected well at all.

All day the giants were getting in the backfield, and Sanchez shook. And you could see it on one specific play when we were in the red zone, Pierre-Paul ran right across sanchez, missed him and fell down. What does sanchez do, move left and before he makes a throw, LOOK BACK AND SEE WHERE HE IS becuase he was hounding Sanchez all day.
    How many batted passes were there??? Thats a combination of Sanchez being a shorter QB and the giants D-Line just pushing our O-Line back. We need to open up passing lanes for sanchez, ala Drew Brees.

PP himself, had 2 sacks, 3 knock downs, and oh dont forget that hit on Sanchez that was ruled a fumble but overturned to an incomplete pass, Sanchez got HAMMERED[/QUOTE]

he's been hammered all year. he was tested for a concussion after the season opener against dallas and broke his nose against the raiders. he got pasted on the first play against the ravens and would have been better off letting brunnell get his bell rung for the remainder of the game.

sanchez has been up and down this year, but i think he's done pretty well when you consider the totality of the circumstances. spotty o-line, poor play calling, average running game, average wrs, one TE who can catch, etc. and yet he's scored a bunch of tds. but while sanchez gets blamed for everything that goes wrong with the team, the defense is given way more latitude when they give up a ridiculous td by tebow, a 99 yard pass play, an 80 yard run, etc. i know there are a handful of qbs who could win more games for the jets this year, but he'd still be getting hammered and there wouldn't be much of a vertical passing game. all sanchez could do better is not fumble a few times and hit a few more slants. whether that would translate into a playoff berth or more forgiveness from the relentless media, well, i don't know.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Maury77;4296682]I will tell you what I do know:

[B]Coordinator has failed with different variables (3 other QBs)[/B] QB has not had different variables (only 1 OC)

[B]other variables coordinator has worked with have strived IMMEDIATELY (except for Clemens) after leaving coordinator
    [/B]

Sanchez may or may not ultimately be the answer, but Shottenheimer is simply INDEFENSIBLE at this point.[/QUOTE]

This has been discussed and beaten to death..Pennington was successful in 2006..Went to playoffs was named Comeback Player of the Year. That's failing?

Favre, before his injury in 2008, was having a real good season in a new offense for him..The Jets were avging high 20's in points..Jets riding high..Favre's shoulder goes dead..Requires offseason shoulder surgery and went back to playing in the same offense he had played in for 15 years..The Holmgren/Andy Reid Offense that Childress learned from and ran.

But to absolve Sanchez and constantly place blame on the OC is ridiculous..When your QB isnt seeing wide open WRs, how is that the OCs fault..When your QB is overthrowing, throwing wide to wide open WRs, how is that the OCs fault.

I'm not defending Schotty...As I have stated...At this point its time to find out if Sanchez is going to be the Jets QB for another 10 years and time for a new voice/approach...Dump all the Offensive coaches and get a new staff / approach in...

But maybe (gasp!) Sanchez isn't the franchise QB people think he is..At least not right now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4296714]When your QB isnt seeing wide open WRs, how is that the OCs fault..When your QB is overthrowing, throwing wide to wide open WRs, how is that the OCs fault.[/QUOTE]

agreed. it's not logical to blame 1 non-player for a qb's woes.

the one thing that i will say, is that i believe sanchez is too concerned on not getting nailed that his attention isn't focused downfield as much as it should be. this would help explain why observers say he 'plays fast', tries to get rid of the ball and is quick to move out of the pocket b/c he expects protection to break down. more than playcalling, i think the biggest issue this year is protection. how many times has sanchez got nailed and got up slowly.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4296714]This has been discussed and beaten to death..Pennington was successful in 2006..Went to playoffs was named Comeback Player of the Year. That's failing?

[B]Favre, before his injury in 2008, was having a real good season in a new offense for him..The Jets were avging high 20's in points..Jets riding high..Favre's shoulder goes dead..Requires offseason shoulder surgery and went back to playing in the same offense he had played in for 15 years..The Holmgren/Andy Reid Offense that Childress learned from and ran.[/B]But to absolve Sanchez and constantly place blame on the OC is ridiculous..When your QB isnt seeing wide open WRs, how is that the OCs fault..When your QB is overthrowing, throwing wide to wide open WRs, how is that the OCs fault.

I'm not defending Schotty...As I have stated...At this point its time to find out if Sanchez is going to be the Jets QB for another 10 years and time for a new voice/approach...Dump all the Offensive coaches and get a new staff / approach in...

But maybe (gasp!) Sanchez isn't the franchise QB people think he is..At least not right now.[/QUOTE]

Favre wasnt running Shotty's Offensive (pun intended) scheme right?!?

I mean he came out and said all the pre-snap movements confused him more than the Defense because, if your offensive players moved, so did the Defensive players, meaning they were never set...
    Last edited by bgivs21; 12-28-2011 at 11:15 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4296721]agreed. it's not logical to blame 1 non-player for a qb's woes.

the one thing that i will say, is that i believe sanchez is too concerned on not getting nailed that his attention isn't focused downfield as much as it should be. this would help explain why observers say he 'plays fast', tries to get rid of the ball and is quick to move out of the pocket b/c he expects protection to break down. more than playcalling, i think the biggest issue this year is protection. how many times has sanchez got nailed and got up slowly.[/QUOTE]

But if it's not logical to blame 1 non-player for a qb's woes, how come Sean Peyton gets so much credit for reviving Drew Brees' career?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bgivs21;4296726]But if it's not logical to blame 1 non-player for a qb's woes, how come Sean Peyton gets so much credit for reviving Drew Brees' career?[/QUOTE]

Reviving? Maybe those people don't remember Brees was pretty successful in SD before leaving as a FA....

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/player/drewbrees/2504775/careerstats[/URL]

Brees' career with the Chargers was put in jeopardy after San Diego [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers-Manning_Trade"]acquired[/URL] [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_State_Wolfpack_football"]NC State's[/URL] [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Rivers"]Philip Rivers[/URL]. After the trade, it was almost certain Brees' days as the Chargers' starting QB were over. However, Rivers held out nearly all of training camp. Brees therefore remained the starter throughout the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NFL_season"]2004 season[/URL], where he started every game and led the team to a 12-4 regular season record. The Chargers won the AFC West and Brees was selected to the 2004 NFL Pro Bowl. He was named 2004 [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Comeback_Player_of_the_Year"]NFL Comeback Player of the Year[/URL].
    [B] 2005[/B]

Brees became a free agent after the season and was not expected to return to San Diego, which had already committed a large sum of money to Rivers. The team eventually designated Brees a [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_player"]franchise player[/URL], giving him a one-year contract that quadrupled his pay to $8 million for [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NFL_season"]2005[/URL].

Under the terms of the franchise player contract, Brees was eligible to be traded or sign with another team, but the Chargers would receive two future first round draft choices in return. He was not traded and continued as starting quarterback for the remainder of the 2005 season.

Brees continued his productive play in 2005, as he posted a career high in passing yards with 3,576. Brees also posted an 89.2 rating, 10th best in the NFL. However, in the last game of the 2005 season against the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Denver_Broncos_season"]Denver Broncos[/URL], Brees tore his [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenoidal_labrum"]labrum[/URL] while trying to pick up his own fumble after being hit by Broncos [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_%28American_football_position%29"]safety[/URL] [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lynch_%28American_football%29"]John Lynch[/URL]. Denver tackle [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_Warren"]Gerard Warren[/URL] hit Brees while he was on the ground, causing the injury. Brees underwent [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthroscopic_surgery"]arthroscopic surgery[/URL], performed by [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._James_Andrews"]Dr. James Andrews[/URL], to repair the torn [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenoidal_labrum"]labrum[/URL] in his right (throwing) shoulder on January 5, 2006. Subsequent reports mentioned additional [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotator_cuff"]rotator cuff[/URL] damage and he also was treated by Dr. Saby Szajowitz to recover and regain muscle movement.

Brees was selected as first alternate to the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Football_Conference"]AFC[/URL] [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Bowl"]Pro Bowl[/URL] team for the 2005 season. He would have played in his second consecutive Pro Bowl due to the injury to starter [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_Palmer"]Carson Palmer[/URL], but his own injury dictated that the AFC Pro Bowl roster would have to be filled by second alternate [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Plummer"]Jake Plummer[/URL].

After the season, the Chargers offered Brees a 5-year, $50 million contract that paid $2 million in base salary the first year and the rest heavily based on performance incentives. Brees evaluated the incentive-based offer as a sign of no confidence by the Chargers and promptly demanded the salary a top 5 "franchise" quarterback would receive.
    [B]
    New Orleans Saints[/B]

After the Chargers refused to increase their offer, Brees met with other teams. The [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_Saints"]New Orleans Saints[/URL] and the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Dolphins"]Miami Dolphins[/URL] were interested. New Orleans made an offer that included $10 million in guaranteed money the first year and a $12 million option the second year. Miami was unsure if Brees' shoulder was completely healed and doctors suggested the team not sign him because of the injury.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Brees#cite_note-8"][9][/URL] The Dolphins ended negotiations and traded for [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Vikings"]Minnesota Vikings[/URL] QB [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daunte_Culpepper"]Daunte Culpepper[/URL] instead. Brees signed a 6-year, $60 million deal with the Saints on March 14, 2006.

[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Brees[/URL]

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4296714]This has been discussed and beaten to death..Pennington was successful in 2006..Went to playoffs was named Comeback Player of the Year. That's failing?

[/QUOTE]

Is 17 TDs and 16 INTs impressive? Mark had a 17:13 ratio last year. How about the whopping 3300 yards he threw? How about the fact his completion % and YPA were still lower than his career average?

Backing Schotty is indefensible at this point. Sanchez may ultimately fail, but he deserves a change, not the other way around. Schotty has already gotten his chance with 3 different QBs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

Here's the thing though - you keep saying/implying the offensive problems are Sanchez's fault. Three other QB's have failed with Schottenheimer, and two of them had career years the following season after leaving the Jets. Six years, many different parts, never one good year of offense. What other conclusion can we come to?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4296746]Reviving? Maybe those people don't remember Brees was pretty successful in SD before leaving as a FA....

[URL]http://www.nfl.com/player/drewbrees/2504775/careerstats[/URL]

Brees' career with the Chargers was put in jeopardy after San Diego [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rivers-Manning_Trade"]acquired[/URL] [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_State_Wolfpack_football"]NC State's[/URL] [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philip_Rivers"]Philip Rivers[/URL]. After the trade, it was almost certain Brees' days as the Chargers' starting QB were over. However, Rivers held out nearly all of training camp. Brees therefore remained the starter throughout the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_NFL_season"]2004 season[/URL], where he started every game and led the team to a 12-4 regular season record. The Chargers won the AFC West and Brees was selected to the 2004 NFL Pro Bowl. He was named 2004 [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Comeback_Player_of_the_Year"]NFL Comeback Player of the Year[/URL].
    [B] 2005[/B]

Brees became a free agent after the season and was not expected to return to San Diego, which had already committed a large sum of money to Rivers. The team eventually designated Brees a [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franchise_player"]franchise player[/URL], giving him a one-year contract that quadrupled his pay to $8 million for [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_NFL_season"]2005[/URL].

Under the terms of the franchise player contract, Brees was eligible to be traded or sign with another team, but the Chargers would receive two future first round draft choices in return. He was not traded and continued as starting quarterback for the remainder of the 2005 season.

Brees continued his productive play in 2005, as he posted a career high in passing yards with 3,576. Brees also posted an 89.2 rating, 10th best in the NFL. However, in the last game of the 2005 season against the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_Denver_Broncos_season"]Denver Broncos[/URL], Brees tore his [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenoidal_labrum"]labrum[/URL] while trying to pick up his own fumble after being hit by Broncos [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety_%28American_football_position%29"]safety[/URL] [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lynch_%28American_football%29"]John Lynch[/URL]. Denver tackle [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerard_Warren"]Gerard Warren[/URL] hit Brees while he was on the ground, causing the injury. Brees underwent [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthroscopic_surgery"]arthroscopic surgery[/URL], performed by [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._James_Andrews"]Dr. James Andrews[/URL], to repair the torn [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glenoidal_labrum"]labrum[/URL] in his right (throwing) shoulder on January 5, 2006. Subsequent reports mentioned additional [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotator_cuff"]rotator cuff[/URL] damage and he also was treated by Dr. Saby Szajowitz to recover and regain muscle movement.

Brees was selected as first alternate to the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Football_Conference"]AFC[/URL] [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pro_Bowl"]Pro Bowl[/URL] team for the 2005 season. He would have played in his second consecutive Pro Bowl due to the injury to starter [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carson_Palmer"]Carson Palmer[/URL], but his own injury dictated that the AFC Pro Bowl roster would have to be filled by second alternate [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jake_Plummer"]Jake Plummer[/URL].

After the season, the Chargers offered Brees a 5-year, $50 million contract that paid $2 million in base salary the first year and the rest heavily based on performance incentives. Brees evaluated the incentive-based offer as a sign of no confidence by the Chargers and promptly demanded the salary a top 5 "franchise" quarterback would receive.
    [B]
    New Orleans Saints[/B]

After the Chargers refused to increase their offer, Brees met with other teams. The [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Orleans_Saints"]New Orleans Saints[/URL] and the [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Dolphins"]Miami Dolphins[/URL] were interested. New Orleans made an offer that included $10 million in guaranteed money the first year and a $12 million option the second year. Miami was unsure if Brees' shoulder was completely healed and doctors suggested the team not sign him because of the injury.[URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Brees#cite_note-8"][9][/URL] The Dolphins ended negotiations and traded for [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Vikings"]Minnesota Vikings[/URL] QB [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daunte_Culpepper"]Daunte Culpepper[/URL] instead. Brees signed a 6-year, $60 million deal with the Saints on March 14, 2006.

[URL]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Brees[/URL][/QUOTE]

I'm quite familiar with Drew Brees, however Sanchez stats are very similar to Brees in that 2005 season they outline (minus the 12-4 record of course but remember they had the legendary LDT and a very good TE in Gates)

Brees- More Yards 3576, Higher Cmp% 64.6, Higher Int % 3.0, Y/C 11.1, 25 Total TDs 15 Ints

Sanchez- 3,267 yards (15 games), Cmp % 56.2, Int % 2.8, Y/C 11.4, 30 total TDs 15 Ints

Now maybe revive was the wrong word. But Sean Peyton does, undeniably, get a TON of credit for turning Drew Brees into what he is now, that elite level of QB's. Of course Brees worked his tail off to get where he is, but sometimes u can't do it on pure talent alone. If that was the case, Peyton manning would be a 7 time superbowl champ...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love the "I know what's best for the team" posts.

LOL.