Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battles are won before they are fought.

Battles are won before they are fought.

Battles are won before they are fought. This is true in war and sports.
    A lot is being said about who is the blame for this woeful season but when all is said and done the blame falls on the whole organization. Woody Johnson owns the team it is his job to put a quality product on the field. He must hire people who can get the job done and get them what they need to succeed. Tanny, must sign and get the best talent available to do the job. Scouting, coaching, and players. He has to be on the same page with the HC and they must work together. Rex needs to be able to hire people who are his guys to get the job done. That being said Rex has to demand his assistants do the job. The Jets have no depth on the O-line or D-line. Safety's are slow, and need more team speed. Schotty has to go and so does QB coach Cavanaugh. Rex has to become the head coach and be involved in every phase of preparation not just the defense. Sanchez needs competition and the whole team needs to be better prepared for games.
    Namath made the statement last year on hard knocks that the receivers were not running their routes at full speed in training camp. I can't remember where I read it but a reporter who covers the Jets said the receivers ran their routes at half speed in practices during the week. When I played in high school the practices were run as if we were playing the game. We were on the practice field until we executed the plays the way they were supposed to be run, over and over again. "You practice like you play" was said to us over and over. If you think you can goof off in practice and do it on game day you are sadly mistaken. In football the games are won and lost before they are played. This appears to be one of the Jets biggest problems and that falls on Rex.

Nice post. :yes:

(I think...)

[QUOTE=Squirt;4296287]Battles are won before they are fought. This is true in war and sports.
    A lot is being said about who is the blame for this woeful season but when all is said and done the blame falls on the whole organization. Woody Johnson owns the team it is his job to put a quality product on the field. He must hire people who can get the job done and get them what they need to succeed. Tanny, must sign and get the best talent available to do the job. Scouting, coaching, and players. He has to be on the same page with the HC and they must work together.[B] Rex needs to be able to hire people who are his guys to get the job done.[/B] That being said Rex has to demand his assistants do the job. The Jets have no depth on the O-line or D-line. Safety's are slow, and need more team speed. S[B]chotty has to go and so does QB coach Cavanaugh[/B]. Rex has to become the head coach and be involved in every phase of preparation not just the defense. Sanchez needs competition and the whole team needs to be better prepared for games.
    Namath made the statement last year on hard knocks that the receivers were not running their routes at full speed in training camp. I can't remember where I read it but a reporter who covers the Jets said the receivers ran their routes at half speed in practices during the week. When I played in high school the practices were run as if we were playing the game. We were on the practice field until we executed the plays the way they were supposed to be run, over and over again. "You practice like you play" was said to us over and over. If you think you can goof off in practice and do it on game day you are sadly mistaken. In football the games are won and lost before they are played. This appears to be one of the Jets biggest problems and that falls on Rex.[/QUOTE]

Just so you know.... Cavanaugh is one on Rex's guys. They worked together in Baltimore, and he came with Rex in 2009.

Everything else you are 100 percent on the money !

wait i thought battles are won in the trenches..

Jets Insider VIP
    We can win the battle, but lose the war. That sucks when that happens.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Supeli Malamala;4296299]Just so you know.... Cavanaugh is one on Rex's guys. They worked together in Baltimore, and he came with Rex in 2009.

Everything else you are 100 percent on the money ![/QUOTE]

He was the oc of the ravens 99-04. Remember they won the sb under him with probably the worst offense of any sb team in history

[QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4296313]We can win the battle, but lose the war. That sucks when that happens.[/QUOTE]

So we win this weekend but don't get in the playoffs.

Yeah...I can see that happening.

FIRE SCHOTTY! CLAP, CLAP, CLAP-CLAP-CLAP!!

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Squirt;4296287]B[B]attles are won before they are fought. This is true in war and sports.[/B]
    A lot is being said about who is the blame for this woeful season but when all is said and done the blame falls on the whole organization. Woody Johnson owns the team it is his job to put a quality product on the field. He must hire people who can get the job done and get them what they need to succeed. Tanny, must sign and get the best talent available to do the job. Scouting, coaching, and players. He has to be on the same page with the HC and they must work together. Rex needs to be able to hire people who are his guys to get the job done. That being said Rex has to demand his assistants do the job. The Jets have no depth on the O-line or D-line. Safety's are slow, and need more team speed. Schotty has to go and so does QB coach Cavanaugh. Rex has to become the head coach and be involved in every phase of preparation not just the defense. Sanchez needs competition and the whole team needs to be better prepared for games.
    Namath made the statement last year on hard knocks that the receivers were not running their routes at full speed in training camp. I can't remember where I read it but a reporter who covers the Jets said the receivers ran their routes at half speed in practices during the week. When I played in high school the practices were run as if we were playing the game. We were on the practice field until we executed the plays the way they were supposed to be run, over and over again. "You practice like you play" was said to us over and over. If you think you can goof off in practice and do it on game day you are sadly mistaken. In football the games are won and lost before they are played. This appears to be one of the Jets biggest problems and that falls on Rex.[/QUOTE]

Someone must have read Sun Tsu's Art of War. :yes:

Agree with everthing except lack of D-line depth. The D line is young and deep. It is by far the deepest unit on the team.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=Darth Vader;4296302]wait i thought battles are won in the trenches..[/QUOTE]

Exactly, and this guy is talking about depth. Let's start with starters.

Jets Insider VIP
    Super*****/Prom Queen

[QUOTE=Squirt;4296287]Battles are won before they are fought. This is true in war and sports.

Rex needs to be able to hire people who are his guys to get the job done. That being said Rex has to demand his assistants do the job. Schotty has to go and so does QB coach Cavanaugh. Rex has to become the head coach and be involved in every phase of preparation not just the defense. Sanchez needs competition & the whole team needs to be better prepared for games.

In football the games are won and lost before they are played. This appears to be one of the Jets biggest problems and that falls on Rex.[/QUOTE]

Excellent post Squirt & agree 110%.

[QUOTE=sec.101row23;4296324]Someone must have read Sun Tsu's Art of War. [/QUOTE]

It should be required reading for players & fans alike. If folks have a droid and/or smartphone, there is a free app - download "The Art of War" right onto your phone.

SunTzu said "Though we have heard of stupid haste in war, cleverness has never been seen associated with long delays. There is no instance of a country having benefitted from prolonged warfare."

[QUOTE=Supeli Malamala;4296299]Just so you know.... Cavanaugh is one on Rex's guys. They worked together in Baltimore, and he came with Rex in 2009. Everything else you are 100 percent on the money ![/QUOTE]

Mahalo for the post Big Kahuna & Happy New Year! :D

For those Jet fans who never heard of Siupeli Malamala, he was a T/G for the NYJ circa 1992 to 1999. Click here to see what he's been up to lately:

[URL]http://www.goldenbearhomes.com/about/our-agents/siup-malamala/[/URL]

:cool:
    Last edited by Limolady; 12-28-2011 at 09:52 PM.

[QUOTE=sec.101row23;4296324]Someone must have read Sun Tsu's Art of War. :yes:[/QUOTE]
    And did not read "War and Peace"

Jets Insider VIP

good post

this might explain Sanchez' problem of hitting receivers in stride, as he is not used to their in-game speed. :mad:

[QUOTE=Supeli Malamala;4296299]Just so you know.... Cavanaugh is one on Rex's guys. They worked together in Baltimore, and he came with Rex in 2009.

Everything else you are 100 percent on the money ![/QUOTE]

I know Cav is one of Rex's guys but Rex has to put friendship aside when it comes to his football team. If Cav isn't getting the job done he must fire him. Cav was the OC of the Ravens and Billick fired him if my memory is correct. Rex has to put loyalty and friendship aside when it comes to decisions that affect the Jets. Thanks for reading my post and all the positive feedback. I know this team has a lot of other problems. I like Rex but he has to grow in a few areas to be successful. If he doesn't he will fail.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Limolady;4296743]

For those Jet fans who never heard of Siupeli Malamala, he was a T/G for the NYJ circa 1992 to 1999.[/QUOTE]

I remember Siupe. Think he was the LT, who let Bruce Smith get a clean hit on Boomer, that knocked him for a loop.:D

Can't stand Boomer, That was great!

Siupe was a good player as a Jet.
    Last edited by 2009fatman; 12-28-2011 at 10:48 PM.

[QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4296507]Agree with everthing except lack of D-line depth. The D line is young and deep. It is by far the deepest unit on the team.[/QUOTE]

+1

For the most part, it is deep and young. Pouha is on the older side, but the rest is young and talented. My only issue is that it is not an entirely versatile group. Wilkerson is the only versatile player on the line, showing the ability to be adept against the run and the pass. Guys like Pouha, DeVito, Dixon, while good, are limited in that the first two don't provide much against the pass whereas Dixon isn't useful against the run.

That being said, it's the one area we absolutely do not need to address in the draft. If we let Pouha walk, then I hope we are competent to withstand that loss via replacement with Ellis or having DeVito help fill in at NT

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdzBaPDmJk&sns=em"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAdzBaPDmJk&sns=em[/URL]

Veteran
    I honestly think the woes of this season fall directly on Rex Ryan's shoulders. I honestly think we have the talent, Rex isn't handling all of it the right way. Unpreparedness was KEY all season, and that is directly related to the coaches incompetence. Maybe missing the playoffs is the type of kick in the ass he needs.

Jets Insider VIP
    Excellent...Excellent OP!!!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    [QUOTE=jetscc26;4297876]I honestly think the woes of this season fall directly on Rex Ryan's shoulders. I honestly think we have the talent, Rex isn't handling all of it the right way. Unpreparedness was KEY all season, and that is directly related to the coaches incompetence. Maybe missing the playoffs is the type of kick in the ass he needs.[/QUOTE]

Always falls on the owner on down. We have some talent, what we need is competent players in a few more starting positions with some back up.