Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Source: Callahan likely to Succeed Schotty

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Source: Callahan likely to Succeed Schotty

Rich Cimini
    RichCimini Rich Cimini
    #Jets OL coach Bill Callahan, likely successor to Schottenheimer, in final yr of contract: source. Interesting that it got to this point.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What I like about Callahan is that he should provide a more seamless transition than someone coming out of the organization and he has more HC experience than our current hc.

That being said, our OL's struggles this year have me somewhat concerned as that is callahan's unit.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Maury77;4297929]What I like about Callahan is that he should provide a more seamless transition than someone coming out of the organization and he has more HC experience than our current hc.

That being said, our OL's struggles this year have me somewhat concerned as that is callahan's unit.[/QUOTE]

As I said on another thread no one was concerned when Callahan had the Jets as the Number 1 OL in the entire NFL.

I think the key is the talent level.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    TheJetsStream Manish Mehta
    Rex Ryan promises that the #Jets won't be throwing it 60 times... [B]"ever again"[/B] nydn.us/vQqQ5v #nyj

Interesting....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Maury77;4297929]What I like about Callahan is that he should provide a more seamless transition than someone coming out of the organization and he has more HC experience than our current hc.

That being said, our OL's struggles this year have me somewhat concerned as that is callahan's unit.[/QUOTE]

If it does happen and is Callahan it'll be interesting if he goes to a pure west coast system which he ran in Oakland.....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    true enough about the oline trouble and them being part of callahan's responsibility, however, this may underscore how big a problem schitty really is. schitty is the coach of the entire offense and they will feed off of him. callahan can only coach as much as schitty will let him and it's pretty hard to coach plays that are absurd and for a coach that doesn't know what he is doing.

how many times has anyone seen schitty talking to the offensive unit on the sidelines? almost never. he is the one that needs to be coaching them up before, during and after games yet all he seems to do is sit on his throne and bark.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sameoldjets;4297936]true enough about the oline trouble and them being part of callahan's responsibility, however, this may underscore how big a problem schitty really is. schitty is the coach of the entire offense and they will feed off of him. callahan can only coach as much as schitty will let him and it's pretty hard to coach plays that are absurd and for a coach that doesn't know what he is doing.

how many times has anyone seen schitty talking to the offensive unit on the sidelines? almost never. he is the one that needs to be coaching them up before, during and after games yet all he seems to do is sit on his throne and bark.[/QUOTE]

See this isn't accurate...Every coach / team does things differently..To use your logic then shouldn't Pettine being doing the same?

And by all reports, Callahan is the run game coord, so those are primarily his running plays used/called...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SouthTown;4297922]Rich Cimini
    RichCimini Rich Cimini
    #Jets OL coach Bill Callahan, likely successor to Schottenheimer, in final yr of contract: source. Interesting that it got to this point.[/QUOTE]

He's purely speculating as usual and I believe his real "inside info" is that Callahan is in the final year of his contract which is odd as he "seems to be" the successor.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not ok with this. I want a totally new system and to clean house with every coach related to the offense.

All this will do is ensure that we become and more conservative team and continue to try and hide Sanchez.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    based on his work with Vlad, Hunter, Moore, Slauson etc. Bill Callahan doesn't deserve a promotion.

Jets Insider VIP
    Boca Raton, FL / Surrendered my PSL's biatches
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4297953]based on his work with Vlad, Hunter, Moore, Slauson etc. Bill Callahan doesn't deserve a promotion.[/QUOTE]

Moore didn't allow a knockdown of Sanchez all year. Only guard in the league to do that.

And everything I've read said Slauson was solid all year.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=baldnuts1;4297961]Moore didn't allow a knockdown of Sanchez all year. Only guard in the league to do that.

[B]And everything I've read said Slauson was solid all year.[/B][/QUOTE]

Don't bother. bit just never admits when he's wrong about a player.....which is pretty often.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 12-29-2011 at 10:18 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is not good news.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4297941]See this isn't accurate...Every coach / team does things differently..To use your logic then shouldn't Pettine being doing the same?

And by all reports, Callahan is the run game coord, so those are primarily his running plays used/called...[/QUOTE]

The coordination of the run game has been stellar the last 4 years. Even this year (a down year) the coordination of the run game has been very good. We just don't stick to the run at all. Some of it has to do with the Jets falling behind but the reality is that Schotty gives up on it. It is like he wants to show off his branch of the offense and when he does, more often than not, it sucks. At this point in time, Schotty needs to take his system elsewhere. It is time for a new direction as the coordination of the pass game has always been the problem. Schotty has always blamed personnel. At some point the buck stops with him and finally it looks like that time has come.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4297953]based on his work with Vlad, Hunter, Moore, Slauson etc. Bill Callahan doesn't deserve a promotion.[/QUOTE]

? Slauson's doing well, Moore had hip surgery, Vlad is a very raw, second year guy with no offseason to date, Hunter was thrust upon him due to lack of depth and injuries. Yeah the line (right side) is pretty bad, but I don't think that's neccessarily Callahan's fault.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4297932]As I said on another thread no one was concerned when Callahan had the Jets as the Number 1 OL in the entire NFL.

I think the key is the talent level.[/QUOTE]

CB, the "voice of reason", one of the best posters around. The OLINE more than any other unit must work together to succeed. One weak lenk and the unit is a failure. Unfortunately Wayne Hunter had a bad season and Mangold was hurt. I am all or Callahan becoming OC if the JETS fire Shotty..........

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4297963]Don't bother. bit just never admits when he's wrong about a player.....which is pretty often.[/QUOTE]

+1,000.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't listen to Bit. Firstly, Bit didn't want Callahan as OC because we would take a top 5 OL coach away from the OL. Now, suddenly he doesn't deserve the promotion because he had an abysmal year as OL coach. Bit plays it both ways. You can write this garbage up any better.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Between SAR saying Rex should be making sanchez into a top 10 QB and all this on here about callahan not being a good coach anymore, don't we think we are putting a little too much emphasis on how these guys can develop players?

DBrick and Mangold have made the pro-bowl multiple times. Slauson was a 7th round pick who has is a competent NFL starter. Moore graded out this year as a top 10 guard in the league. Is it really Callahan's fault that Hunter simply istn strong or quick enough to handle NFL pass rushers? Could callahan have prevented hunter from being thrown to the ground by someone 60 lbs lighter then him?

Is it at all possible that after 3 years in the same offense, running the same plays out of the same formations, defenses know what we are gonna do and consequently make the olines job so much harder?

He was a very good coordinator in Oakland and the biggest things he can do here are:

1. Keep terminology the same

2. Get our offense more vertical, which he did in Oakland, which will also open up the running game.

3. Make teams prepare for different plays in different situations.

4. Get the players back into believing in our offense (see comments after chicago game when multiple players said they were shocked that he play calls were finally different. Sadly that lasted one game).

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Good point...yet BC has been a HC before and is now a line coach?

Who was responsible for DRAFTING Vlad?

What type of success has BC had?

Not sure I know enough about BC but anyone who sits behind Shotty this long doesn't show the kind of work ethic and ambition that I would want to see.