Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Source: Callahan likely to Succeed Schotty

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    they need to flush the entire offensive coaching crew with the exception of Tom Moore.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Polidore22;4297942]He's purely speculating as usual and I believe his real "inside info" is that Callahan is in the final year of his contract which is odd as he "seems to be" the successor.[/QUOTE]

It was reported elsewhere that Callahan was offered an extension last offseason (along with Schitty & Pettine), but turned it down because he wanted to keep his options open.

In other words, Callahan wanted to be an OC and didn't want to be held back by a contract with the Jets if that opportunity arose elsewhere, or even with the Jets.

Remember, Callahan is listed as Assistant Head Coach, which means the Jets can prevent him from interviewing with another team if he was still under contract because an OC job is not a promotion.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a good chance the new OC will be current QB coach Matt Cavanaugh. It would be hard to sell that to the fans but Rex doesn't have many ties to offensive coaches around the league (that I know of) and may prefer to have his own guy running the offense this time around.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4298087]There's a good chance the new OC will be current QB coach Matt Cavanaugh. It would be hard to sell that to the fans but Rex doesn't have many ties to offensive coaches around the league (that I know of) and may prefer to have his own guy running the offense this time around.[/QUOTE]

Good point, Buzz.

My choice would be Norv Turner if he became available.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4298087]There's a good chance the new OC will be current QB coach Matt Cavanaugh. It would be hard to sell that to the fans but Rex doesn't have many ties to offensive coaches around the league (that I know of) and may prefer to have his own guy running the offense this time around.[/QUOTE]

Very hard to sell to the fans. Why should we trust the guy whos done SUCH a great job with Sanchez? :rolleyes:

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

He definitely is a wild card in this entire situation

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sourceworx;4297963]Don't bother. bit just never admits when he's wrong about a player.....which is pretty often.[/QUOTE]

if you kept track of my posts, I've stated that Slauson surprised me. He's still not good. But he's serviceable.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4298069]It was reported elsewhere that Callahan was offered an extension last offseason (along with Schitty & Pettine), but turned it down because he wanted to keep his options open.

In other words, Callahan wanted to be an OC and didn't want to be held back by a contract with the Jets if that opportunity arose elsewhere, or even with the Jets.

Remember, Callahan is listed as Assistant Head Coach, which means the Jets can prevent him from interviewing with another team if he was still under contract because an OC job is not a promotion.[/QUOTE]

Yes saw that shortly after, but I was referring to the people taking this news as if Cimini had a source saying Callahan was going to be the successor.

Also, agree on Norv.
    Last edited by Carlton; 12-29-2011 at 11:46 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me tell you something, if you think Schotty is bad, he looks like Walsh compared to Cavanaugh.

Cavanaugh is horrible, HORRIBLE as an oc. He needs to leave. If Rex does this, we are done, Sanchez is done and Rex will be done.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

If Rex is more committed to "his guy" then getting in someone who can do an outstanding job based on objective criterion as opposed to cuase Rex likes him.

Then the Jets should just trade Sanchez now before they ruin that young man do to their offensive incompetence...

Even Herman Edwards had the guts to get rid of Paul Hackett and I think Hackett was better than Schotty but you mean to tell me that Rex doesn't have the will or skill to get rid of Schotty....

It is sickening...

Good Grief!!!
    Last edited by Charlie Brown; 12-29-2011 at 11:58 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SouthTown;4297922]Rich Cimini
    RichCimini Rich Cimini
    #Jets OL coach Bill Callahan, likely successor to Schottenheimer, in final yr of contract: source. Interesting that it got to this point.[/QUOTE]

Rich Cimini
    RichCiminiRichCimini

Gibberish.

He describes him as the 'likely successor'. Says who? The 'source' says he's in the final year of his contract. We need a source to tell us that? Interesting that what got to what point?
    What a bunch of gibberish, I can't believe it can spark a three page conversation.
    ''

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJ37/12;4298104]Let me tell you something, if you think Schotty is bad, he looks like Walsh compared to Cavanaugh.

Cavanaugh is horrible, HORRIBLE as an oc. He needs to leave. If Rex does this, we are done, Sanchez is done and Rex will be done.[/QUOTE]

Cavanaugh is clearly failing at his current job of QB coach, therefore he certainly should not be in line for any promotion.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Vinny Testaverde's Niece;4298117]Rich Cimini
    RichCiminiRichCimini

Gibberish.

He describes him as the 'likely successor'. Says who? The 'source' says he's in the final year of his contract. We need a source to tell us that? Interesting that what got to what point?
    What a bunch of gibberish, I can't believe it can spark a three page conversation.
    ''[/QUOTE]

I tried to stop the madness page 1 to no avail.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=NYJ37/12;4298104]Let me tell you something, if you think Schotty is bad, he looks like Walsh compared to Cavanaugh.

Cavanaugh is horrible, HORRIBLE as an oc. He needs to leave. If Rex does this, we are done, Sanchez is done and Rex will be done.[/QUOTE]

+1000000000000000

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=The Nature Boy;4297975]Don't listen to Bit. Firstly, Bit didn't want Callahan as OC because we would take a top 5 OL coach away from the OL. Now, suddenly he doesn't deserve the promotion because he had an abysmal year as OL coach. Bit plays it both ways. You can write this garbage up any better.[/QUOTE]

a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Not many realize that Cavanaugh was the OC for the Bears in 1997-98 and the Ravens 1999 -2004. The Bears Offense was putrid. The Ravens Offense was so bad that Jim Fassel had to be brought in to try and fix it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4298143]Not many realize that Cavanaugh was the OC for the Bears in 1997-98 and the Ravens 1999 -2004. The Bears Offense was putrid. The Ravens Offense was so bad that Jim Fassel had to be brought in to try and fix it.[/QUOTE]

And he sucked as OC at Pitt.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4298135]a foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds[/QUOTE]

So you are saying that Bill isn't a top 5 OL coach. Break out some more fancy quotes while you are at it.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure if I like Bill Callahan as OC, but if we keep him we need to hire Tony Sparano as OL coach and a replace Cavanaugh with a legit QB coach.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=kennyo7;4298162]Not sure if I like Bill Callahan as OC, but if we keep him we need to hire Tony Sparano as OL coach and a replace Cavanaugh with a legit QB coach.[/QUOTE]

If Callahan leaves or is promoted to OC, then I really like the idea of Sparano coming in as our O-Line coach.