Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Source: Callahan likely to Succeed Schotty

All League

***FALSE ALARM***

Bill Callahan turned down extension with Jets
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 29, 2011, 9:56 AM EST
    Buffalo Bills v New York Jets Getty Images

Despite Rex Ryan’s defense of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer Wednesday, there are many in New York that believe the team will make a change at offensive coordinator after the season.

Count Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com among that group.

“Ryan’s response to the Schottenheimer job-security question was telling,” Cimini wrote. “He looked away, there was a nervous laugh, and he went on and on about how it’s unfair to blame a coach — except him.”

If Schottenheimer goes, offensive line coach Bill Callahan is a logical candidate to replace him. But it’s possible Callahan could also choose to leave.

[B]Cimini writes that Callahan has turned down multiple contract extension offers from the Jets, including recently. Callahan, whose contact is up, decided to keep his options open. (Perhaps so he could join old pal Jon Gruden somewhere.)[/B]

[B]It’s not hard to look beneath Ryan’s support of Shottenheimer and see frustration. The Jets dropped back to pass on 67 plays against the Giants. That’s the most for any NFL team in a regulation game since 2008[/B].

“I don’t see us throwing the ball 60 times ever again,” Ryan said. “I don’t think any of us could believe we threw it that many times. I know I can’t.”

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4297977]Excellent point...yet BC has been a HC before and is now a line coach?

Who was responsible for DRAFTING Vlad?

What type of success has BC had?

Not sure I know enough about BC but anyone who sits behind Shotty this long doesn't show the kind of work ethic and ambition that I would want to see.[/QUOTE]

So BC gets the blame for drafting vlad, but no credit for drafting slauson....

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4297979]So BC gets the blame for drafting vlad, but no credit for drafting slauson....[/QUOTE]

I am questioning his ambition and if you read what I said, I really dont know and I am fine with anyone NOT named Shotty. Would prefer to see a well experienced OC come in. Dont ask me to name one, I am a CPA.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4297977]Good point...yet BC has been a HC before and is now a line coach?

[B]Not sure I know enough about BC but anyone who sits behind Shotty this long doesn't show the kind of work ethic and ambition that I would want to see.[/B][/QUOTE]

Just asking..Can you explain this?

Yea this is the guy I want leading the offense. :rolleyes:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL7yAO61xbk[/url]
    Last edited by Magnus; 12-29-2011 at 11:39 AM.

need a new QB Coach too.

[QUOTE=Magnus;4297986]Yea this is the guy I want leading the offense. :rolleyes:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL7yAO61xbk[/url][/QUOTE]

I agree. Not sure I get the Callahan love. After 1 year of success off of Gruden's fumes in Oakland, the team collapsed. He then went to Nebraska and was run out of town after tearing down their program. I think he's a fine O line coach, but where has he ever had success as an OC/play caller?

And I would note that this is the first time I believe the two of us have agreed on something. So, we must be right.

[QUOTE=C Mart;4297983]Just asking..Can you explain this?[/QUOTE]

A previous TOP college HC, NFL Head Coach and he takes an assistant job and sits in that role for 6 years behind arguably an average OC at best?

I would think that he would be "itching" to prove himself or he simply shouldn't be in a role like OC/HC. What is his track record when in a TOP spot?

[QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4298003]I agree. Not sure I get the Callahan love. After 1 year of success off of Gruden's fumes in Oakland, the team collapsed. He then went to Nebraska and was run out of town after tearing down their program. I think he's a fine O line coach, but where has he ever had success as an OC/play caller?

And I would note that this is the first time I believe the two of us have agreed on something. So, we must be right.[/QUOTE]

Jon Gruden didn't go to the Super Bowl when there was a 1/4 tank of gas left with the Rayduhs and then you make fun of a guy (who took a team running on fumes) to the Super Bowl. lol. Everybody knew the window of opportunity was small for the geriatric Rayduhs and Callahan took that nitwit organization to the SB. They fell apart the next year because they were basically a .500 team but then their top 2 QBs were injured. They played competitively with Rick Mirer for crying out loud and took us to OT.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4298005]A previous TOP college HC, NFL Head Coach and he takes an assistant job and sits in that role for 6 years behind arguably an average OC at best?

I would think that he would be "itching" to prove himself or he simply shouldn't be in a role like OC/HC. What is his track record when in a TOP spot?[/QUOTE]

He's only been with the Jets since 2008...

The Jets denied him the opportunity to interview for the Titans OC position back in February.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4297977]Good point...yet BC has been a HC before and is now a line coach?

Not sure I know enough about BC but anyone who sits behind Shotty this long doesn't show the kind of work ethic and ambition that I would want to see.[/QUOTE]

Callahan was the play caller the year the Raiders went to the super bowl. Of course he had Gannon who was playing as good as anybody that season. Callahan has also coached O line since the 80's. He's a protege of one the most innovative O line coaches of all time and he's always implemented new techniques wherever he's coached. You can talk about the mishaps in personnel we had but lets talk about Slauson who's in what ... year 3? He's one of the most reliable guards in the game and plays banged up. Cal had him in college and suggested the Jets draft him late and he's a steal. If only we left all the O line picks to Callahan. You think Callahan told the Jets brass to sign Wayne Hunter to a 5 year deal? Draft Vlad? Slauson was the only Callahan pick and Rex said that in a press conference this year that if Callahan is around next year he'll have more of a say on O linemen they draft.

Lets not blame Callahan for Wayne Hunter. All Callahan did was coach him up to be an incredible replacement for Woody last year. It was the Jets front office who gave him a 5 year deal. Vlad hasn't turned out to be great but I don't see how that falls on Callahan. Callahan's O line the past 2 years were good enough to be the best in the league. I doubt he's coaching any different this year. The depth just isn't there. Lets not all forget about Rob Turner as well who Cal turned into a solid backup center, guard, tackle, and extra tightend. Give Cal the pieces and he gets it done. Losing Turner this year was the worst thing that happened to this O line. It took away all the depth we had going into this season. Sad to say ...we've never recovered.

All League
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4298003]I agree. Not sure I get the Callahan love. After 1 year of success off of Gruden's fumes in Oakland, the team collapsed. He then went to Nebraska and was run out of town after tearing down their program. I think he's a fine O line coach, but where has he ever had success as an OC/play caller?

And I would note that this is the first time I believe the two of us have agreed on something. So, we must be right.[/QUOTE]

[i]Sports illustrated[/i] named Callahan the worst college football hire of the decade.

Preaching Power, Jets’ Callahan Finds Fresh Start

By [URL="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/greg_bishop/index.html?inline=nyt-per"]GREG BISHOP[/URL]
    Published: January 15, 2010

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — The [URL="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/profootball/nationalfootballleague/newyorkjets/index.html?inline=nyt-org"]Jets[/URL]’ offensive linemen laugh at the way Bill Callahan approaches football. They find his methods endearing, unusual and effective.

For most of his [URL="http://www.newyorkjets.com/team/coach/1316-bill-callahan"]coaching life[/URL], Callahan has focused on offensive linemen, the game’s anonymous, unruly brutes. But what may seem simple on the surface — large offensive players shoving large defensive players backward — Callahan sees through the exacting lens of a football scientist.

This, combined with his propensity for wearing preppy sweaters, earned him the nickname By the Book Bill. But more than that, after Callahan was fired by the [URL="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/profootball/nationalfootballleague/oaklandraiders/index.html?inline=nyt-org"]Oakland Raiders[/URL] and the [URL="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/u/university_of_nebraska/index.html?inline=nyt-org"]University of Nebraska[/URL], those methods have guided his career rebuilding.

“This is the most content I’ve been,” Callahan said Thursday. “Going back into the dungeon, the laboratory, has been great for me. I have a new lease on life.”

The Jets sometimes wonder how Callahan ended up here. They ask how a man who played quarterback at Illinois Benedictine College (he was a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics honorable mention all-American in 1976 and 1977) became immersed in all things protection, a guru of the grunts.

Offensive tackle Matt Slauson has a theory: he thinks Callahan played behind an offensive line so porous that he spent seasons running for his life.

“I mean, you look at him, and you’re like, no way he’s an offensive line coach,” Slauson said. “He must have been hit a ton and vowed to protect quarterbacks forever.”

Callahan wanted to coach quarterbacks at Illinois, where he started his coaching career, but his mentor, Coach Mike White, firmly believed young assistants needed to learn the essence of line play as a knowledge base.

At 25 years old, Callahan found himself standing in front of 26 offensive linemen, never the prettiest group to look at. Right then, he asked himself a simple question: What am I going to do now?

He found that he loved the “schematics” involved, the “variables,” the way pure strength hinged on leverage and angles. He likened it to solving a crossword puzzle and he called himself a fundamentalist, in the football sense.

His current players describe him as a technician, concerned with the tiniest details, from precisely where a foot should land to the degree it should be turned.

Offensive tackle D’Brickashaw Ferguson said his first conversation with Callahan two years ago centered on hand placement. Ferguson largely credits Callahan with his rise to this season’s Pro Bowl, and that started with the details, with not only understanding information but also knowing how to mine and apply it.

If Callahan went any deeper, center Nick Mangold said, the linemen would be discussing big-toe placement.

“That’s why I’m proud to call him my O-line coach,” Mangold said. “He’s at such an advanced level in knowledge of the game, but he has an uncanny ability to translate it down to us normal people.”

Of course, line play still comes down to large, physical men imposing their will on defenders. What happens beyond that is where Callahan believes the Jets have an advantage. His linemen approach their craft from a technical standpoint, and that allows them to play faster and with more confidence.

The result: three made the Pro Bowl. The running game, coordinated by Callahan, who is also an assistant head coach, ranked No. 1 in the [URL="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/organizations/n/national_football_league/index.html?inline=nyt-org"]N.F.L.[/URL]
    Slowly, Callahan has moved away from the two tenures that have largely defined him and become known as more than just a head coach who was fired in both the pros and college.

In Oakland, Callahan took the Raiders to the [URL="http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/s/super_bowl/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier"]Super Bowl[/URL] in his first season (2002) and was fired after his second. At Nebraska, he coached the team that [URL="http://espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=243310158"]ended the program’s streak[/URL] of 35 consecutive bowl appearances in 2004. His tenure there helped lead to the fall of a once-proud program. It was marked by [URL="http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F04E1D61331F930A3575AC0A9629C8B63&scp=1&sq=A%20Cultural%20Change%20In%20Nebraska%27s%20Offense&st=cse"]an unsuccessful switch[/URL] to a pro-style West Coast offense; by what former players considered his disregard for the program’s tradition; and by the faith he put in his defensive coordinator, his good friend Kevin Cosgrove, despite the continued failings of the defense.

When Callahan looks back, which is rarely, he sees positives mixed with disappointments. He said he would have done things differently, in philosophy and regimen, but declined to elaborate.

He said he learned what not to say, like when he called the Raiders the “[URL="http://articles.sfgate.com/2003-12-01/sports/17521169_1_broncos-raiders-dumb"]dumbest team in America[/URL].” He said he coaches with fewer emotions now.

Mostly, Callahan reiterated that he has moved on. Slauson is a testament to that. He played for Callahan at Nebraska, but with the Jets, their relationship has changed. Slauson said he learned more from Callahan in the past six months than he had ever learned in anything, including his four years at Nebraska.

Slauson also said Callahan appeared more contented and more relaxed. He described a coach who works on scouting reports until 3 a.m. yet smiles the next morning, a smile that seemed banished at Nebraska.

Callahan can focus on his linemen. He instructs Mangold on the finer points of wine consumption. He attends their dinners, which means something because offensive linemen tend to deny outsiders. Callahan is one of them.

He speaks their language.

“It’s a world unto itself,” Callahan said. “We thrive in that world.”

But now, Callahan is equipped with the lessons he learned as a head coach. He learned that football teams are imperfect experiments, that with losing comes scrutiny and with firings come grand shifts in perception.

Having worked as a coordinator and a head coach at the pro and college levels, Callahan believes he can better appreciate the simplicity of coaching one position. Asked if he one day wanted to return to those jobs, Callahan did not answer directly. He said he wanted to savor the years ahead, enjoy the players.

“At his core, he loves being an offensive line coach,” Mangold said.

[URL]http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/16/sports/football/16jets.html[/URL]

[QUOTE=C Mart;4298023]He's only been with the Jets since 2008...

[B]The Jets denied him the opportunity to interview for the Titans OC position back in February[/B].[/QUOTE]

Which is probably exactly why he didn't sign an extension with Jets, doesn't want them to hold him back again.

Doesn't mean he wouldn't want to be the OC here.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=Magnus;4297986]Yea this is the guy I want leading the offense. :rolleyes:

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL7yAO61xbk[/url][/QUOTE]

Here is an excerpt from callahans Wikipedia page:

During his tenure as not only head coach but also offensive coordinator for the Raiders, the Raider offense led the league in rushing in 2000 and led the league in passing in 2002. In 2002, the Raiders became the first team to win games in the same season while rushing at least 60 times (against Kansas City in a 24-0 win) and passing at least 60 times (against Pittsburgh in a 30-17 win). The Raider offense also set many franchise records during this period, including fewest sacks allowed (28) in 2000, a mark that was broken the following year (27).

Hall Of Fame
    Obviously they dont want to change the entire system on Sanchez. An completely new offense would come with a built-in excuse for a sub-par performance. I think Callahan and Sanchez will both be performing for their jobs next season.

It is finally sink or swim time for the Sanchize. No more excuses for him or his apologists after next season.

Personally, I think Callahan is overrated. But I will be rooting for him.
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-29-2011 at 12:08 PM.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4298005]A previous TOP college HC, NFL Head Coach and he takes an assistant job and sits in that role for 6 years behind arguably an average OC at best?

I would think that he would be "itching" to prove himself or he simply shouldn't be in a role like OC/HC. What is his track record when in a TOP spot?[/QUOTE]

He's only been a HC at Nebraska and Oakland.

At Nebraska his teams went 27-22 in his 4 years as HC. His best record was 9-5 and Nebraska finished under .500 twice. In the 4 years [U]before[/U] Callahan Nebraska was 38-16 with a best record of 11-2, winning 10 or more games 3 times. In the 4 years [U]since [/U]he's left Nebraska the Cornhuskers are 38-16 (again) winning 10 or more games twice with a chance to make it 3 times with a win in this years bowl game against South Carolina.

So, basicailly he failed at Nebraska. The Program was better before he arrived and returned to it's level of play after he left.

On to Oakland.

He was the OC from 1998-2001, but Chuckie ran the O and made the play calls. That changed in 2002 when Chuckie left for TB and Callahan became HC. As HC Callahan (like Chuckie before him) called the plays and ran the O. Under Callahan, in 2002, Rich Gannon was MVP, the Raiders finished 12-4 and went to the SB where they were thoroughly dismantled by Chuchie's Bucs 48-21. In 2003 the wheels fell off and the Raiders finished 4-12, Callahan was fired.

So, Bill Callahan has only had one successful season running a team/offense, and many believe (me included) that the success he had in 2002 was on the fumes of Chuckie which were exhausted when Callahan met Chuckie in the SB.

IMO Callahan would be a poor choice as OC. What the Jets need is a coach with a track record of success as an OC. And that's not Callahan.

[QUOTE=bcess;4298033]Here is an excerpt from callahans Wikipedia page:

During his tenure as not only head coach but also offensive coordinator for the Raiders, the Raider offense led the league in rushing in 2000 and led the league in passing in 2002. In 2002, the Raiders became the first team to win games in the same season while rushing at least 60 times (against Kansas City in a 24-0 win) and passing at least 60 times (against Pittsburgh in a 30-17 win). The Raider offense also set many franchise records during this period, including fewest sacks allowed (28) in 2000, a mark that was broken the following year (27).[/QUOTE]

Perhaps when writing this his mom forgot to mention that Chuckie ran the O and called the plays in Oakland while Callahan was the OC.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4297953]based on his work with Vlad, Hunter, Moore, Slauson etc. Bill Callahan doesn't deserve a promotion.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point!!:steamin:

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4298054]Perhaps when writing this his mom forgot to mention that Chuckie ran the O and called the plays in Oakland while Callahan was the OC.[/QUOTE]

Also there is the fact that he didn't bother to change the calls or signals for the SB even though he was playing against the very man who designed the Oakland offense.

Callahan is an idiot.

The entire offensive staff needs to be let go.