Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PFT: Callahan turned down extensions from Jets

PFT: Callahan turned down extensions from Jets

interesting....

Despite Rex Ryan’s defense of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer Wednesday, there are many in New York that believe the team will make a change at offensive coordinator after the season.

Count Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com among that group.

“Ryan’s response to the Schottenheimer job-security question was telling,” Cimini wrote. “He looked away, there was a nervous laugh, and he went on and on about how it’s unfair to blame a coach — except him.”

If Schottenheimer goes, offensive line coach Bill Callahan is a logical candidate to replace him. But it’s possible Callahan could also choose to leave.

[B]Cimini writes that Callahan has turned down multiple contract extension offers from the Jets, including recently. Callahan, whose contact is up, decided to keep his options open. (Perhaps so he could join old pal Jon Gruden somewhere.)[/B]It’s not hard to look beneath Ryan’s support of Shottenheimer and see frustration. The Jets dropped back to pass on 67 plays against the Giants. That’s the most for any NFL team in a regulation game since 2008.

“I don’t see us throwing the ball 60 times ever again,” Ryan said. “I don’t think any of us could believe we threw it that many times. I know I can’t.”

[QUOTE=BrowningNagle;4297962]interesting....

Despite Rex Ryan’s defense of offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer Wednesday, there are many in New York that believe the team will make a change at offensive coordinator after the season.

“Ryan’s response to the Schottenheimer job-security question was telling,” Cimini wrote. “He looked away, there was a nervous laugh, and he went on and on about how it’s unfair to blame a coach — except him.”

If Schottenheimer goes, offensive line coach Bill Callahan is a logical candidate to replace him. But it’s possible Callahan could also choose to leave.

[B]Cimini writes that Callahan has turned down multiple contract extension offers from the Jets, including recently. Callahan, whose contact is up, decided to keep his options open. (Perhaps so he could join old pal Jon Gruden somewhere.)[/B]It’s not hard to look beneath Ryan’s support of Shottenheimer and see frustration. The Jets dropped back to pass on 67 plays against the Giants. That’s the most for any NFL team in a regulation game since 2008.

“I don’t see us throwing the ball 60 times ever again,” Ryan said. “I don’t think any of us could believe we threw it that many times. I know I can’t.”[/QUOTE]

Cimini is a meathead. There is another thread going, a tweet from Cimini, that says Callahan is the likely successor. Now he's saying he's going to leave the Jets. This guy is the worst, rather get my info from Incarcerated Bob.

Rich Cimini
    RichCimini Rich Cimini
    #Jets OL coach Bill Callahan, likely successor to Schottenheimer, in final yr of contract: source. Interesting that it got to this point.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BrowningNagle;4297962]interesting....

[B]“I don’t see us throwing the ball 60 times ever again,” Ryan said. “I don’t think any of us could believe we threw it that many times. I know I can’t[/B].”[/QUOTE]

Does that sound like a coach on top of the team????

His actions look like those of Herm Edwards more and more.

gotta admit even as a Rex fan when he says he cant believe they threw it that many times it makes me cringe....does he even pay attention to the offensive calls?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BrowningNagle;4297981]gotta admit even as a Rex fan when he says he cant believe they threw it that many times it makes me cringe....does he even pay attention to the offensive calls?[/QUOTE]

perhaps he'll bring in a special "clock coach" to count the number of times they throw the ball.

Makes sense that he wouldn't sign an extension, I'm sure he doesn't want to lock himself in to O-line coach the rest of his life especially considering he's a solid ex head coach. Now if the Jets offered him the offensive coordinator position I would think he would sign the extension but why not keep your options open going into the offseason?

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4297984]perhaps he'll bring in a special "clock coach" to count the number of times they throw the ball.[/QUOTE]

:D

Herm welcome back to the Jets.

Makes sense that he turned down extensions considering Jets have been stingy about letting assistant coaches interview for other positions, like wouldn't let Thurman interview for DC, I think in Oakland last year. If Callahan was under contract Jets could have stopped him from interviewing for OC position, especially because he has title of asst. head coach.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Lets all welcome our new offensive coordinator to the NEW YORK JETS!!

A big welcome to DICK CURL!!

[QUOTE=jpoppy7;4297997]Makes sense that he turned down extensions considering Jets have been stingy about letting assistant coaches interview for other positions, like wouldn't let Thurman interview for DC, I think in Oakland last year. If Callahan was under contract Jets could have stopped him from interviewing for OC position, especially because he has title of asst. head coach.[/QUOTE]

A smart poker move by Callahan. If this helps kick Schotty to the curb, this was an all-star move.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=BrowningNagle;4297981]gotta admit even as a Rex fan when he says he cant believe they threw it that many times it makes me cringe....does he even pay attention to the offensive calls?[/QUOTE]

That's a head coach who hasn't assumed total control of his team.

[QUOTE=southparkcpa;4297984]perhaps he'll bring in a special "clock coach" to count the number of times they throw the ball.[/QUOTE]
    Maybe he could use a hand counter like pitching coaches use.

Veteran

I'm mostly surprised that Brian didn't know. But Rex? Nah.

Look at him - he obviously doesn't count beers or plates of food either.

So now we face the Dolphins, # 3 against the run so what are we gonna do? Probably run it 40 times and throw 14 and generate 10 points. That's the stupidity of this coaching staff. They don't know when to do what. I blame Rex.

In my mind, good let him go, our offensive line sucks. How is he an asset to this team? Sanchez has been sacked 37 times this year

Hall Of Fame
    I think this is a good thing. Callahan is saving the Jets from themselves. Now if only Schotty would leave on his own as well.

Callahan sucks. The line was good when it had 4 Pro Bowlers. Now that it has 2 (should be 1) it sucks.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4298055]I think this is a good thing. Callahan is saving the Jets from themselves. Now if only Schotty would leave on his own as well.

Callahan sucks. The line was good when it had 4 Pro Bowlers. Now that it has 2 (should be 1) it sucks.[/QUOTE]
    Is that Phillip Seymour Hoffman in your avatar?

Hall Of Fame
    [QUOTE=Jordy;4298058]Is that Phillip Seymour Hoffman in your avatar?[/QUOTE]

Yes.

PSH is the man.

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4298055][B]Callahan sucks[/B]. The line was good when it had 4 Pro Bowlers. Now that it has 2 (should be 1) it sucks.[/QUOTE]

Thank you! Our line is the biggest hole we have. If this guy can't teach Hunter, Ducasse or somebody to block, and can't teach Moore not to hold (3 penalties last game) how the hell does he qualify for OC?

And don't say he got stuck with these guys, he had say in the drafts and cuts...

He's also got a very late round pick in Slauson playing starter quality football...

We've just missed badly on the RT position and that can't happen...

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4298063]Yes.

PSH is the man.[/QUOTE]
    He is a very good actor. I believe he would have been a better choice to play Hoover than frickin Leonardo Dicaprio but I digress.

Didn't know he was a Jets fan.