Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is neck affecting Sanchez's long passes?

Is neck affecting Sanchez's long passes?

Let's do a little detective work here.

[B]Mark Sanchez's[/B] proficiency on deep passes started to drop off six games ago, according to ESPN Stats & Information. That means it started with the Nov. 17 loss in Denver, where it's believed he suffered a pinched nerve in his neck. In fact, he first appeared on the Jets' injury report the week after the Denver game.

Though he never missed any practice time due to the injury (at least that's what the Jets tell us), a neck/right shoulder injury shouldn't be dismissed as a nothing deal, especially for a right-handed quarterback.

Facts are facts. Sanchez has regressed on downfield passes this season, completing only 34.9 percent of his throws traveling 15 or more yards. In 2010, his mark was 41.7 percent.

Sanchez has specifically struggled over his last 6 games, completing only 17.1 percent of throws on such distances, the worst rate in the league. Obviously, other factors come into play -- namely inconsistent pass protection and the receivers' inability to separate and get deep.

But don't overlook the neck; it's an issue. Sanchez aggravated it two weeks ago in Philadelphia and he spent countless hours in the trainer's room, rehabbing before the Giants game. (Another reason why passing 59 times made no sense.) Against the Giants, he was 0-for-8 on passes of 15+ yards, including two interceptions.

[B]Sanchez Passing 15+ Yards Downfield, Last 2 Seasons[/B]

[B]Category -- 2010 -- 2011[/B]

Comp pct ... 41.7 ... 34.9*
    Yds/att ....... 11.0 .... 8.3
    Total QBR ... 89.2 .... 55.9

Last 6 games: 6-for-35 (17.1 percent).

[url]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=27[/url]

Hall Of Fame
    Either that or since he is inaccurate with short throws he is highly inaccurate with long throws and they dont bother throwing them.

I would like to think that Sanchez throws a lot of deep balls in practice. I just think the coaching staff does not like what they see and that is why they dont call them in games.

Maybe the fact that he practices against guys like Revis and Cro who are very good at defending the deep ball have led to him being scared b.c he must not have that much success in practice against them. Maybe Revis has stuntedi Sanchez' growth b.c he sh*ts on him in practice and this can attribute to Sanchez' lack of confidence.

Don't think so because when he actually attempts a throw down field the ball comes out with that explosion you want to see.

I would not be at all suprised if it comes out he suffered some sort of injury this season that he's been playing through. Sanchez has taken a beating this year.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

[QUOTE=drsamuel84;4298081]I would not be at all suprised if it comes out he suffered some sort of injury this season that he's been playing through. Sanchez has taken a beating this year.[/QUOTE]
    yep, I've been thinking the same thing...I wouldn't be surprised if he's been hurt since he got smashed on the first play of the season.

Am I missing something, were we taking shots down the field in the beginning of the season? Hasn't this been a problem from the start??

Like it said though it's a bunch of things and hell, probably Sanchez taking a beating too.

No QB has to take a beating

if they throw it quickly or throw it away they don't have to get crushed

Mark holds it and holds it and he does pay the price. He's not making decisions that he needs to make. Whether he's playing too fast or too slow, I'm not sure (sometimes it's both). but there's a reason why the good QBs don't get blasted every play.

it's not all on the OL. the QB needs to get rid of the ball. there's this idea among Jets fans that all it takes is 5 all pros on the OL and Mark will be fine. No QB gets that luxury or that time. despite his high sack numbers, I'd put forth that Mark's protection is decent this year. there are many QBs that don't hve a Dbrick or a mangold.

All Pro
    I have no doubt his repeated meetings with the ground have affected his health and thus performance, negatively.

this week made me think of Dilfer's film study..

[B]Trent Dilfer tweets on Sanchez film study[/B]

[URL]http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=237849&highlight=trent+dilfer[/URL]
    Last edited by C Mart; 12-29-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Schotty's play calling has affected Sanchez's down field throws.

[QUOTE=bitonti;4298100]No QB has to take a beating

Mark holds it and holds it and he does pay the price. He's not making decisions that he needs to make. Whether he's playing too fast or too slow, I'm not sure (sometimes it's both). but there's a reason why the good QBs don't get blasted every play.

it's not all on the OL. the QB needs to get rid of the ball. there's this idea among Jets fans that all it takes is 5 all pros on the OL and Mark will be fine. No QB gets that luxury or that time. despite his high sack numbers, I'd put forth that Mark's protection is decent this year. there are many QBs that don't hve a Dbrick or a mangold.[/QUOTE]

Jesus Christ give it a break. We get it, you don't like Sanchez.

[QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4298118]Jesus Christ give it a break. We get it, you don't like Sanchez.[/QUOTE]

I very much like Sanchez. There are alot of problems with this team but he's the only one that can fix them all.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

it's not all on the OL. the QB needs to get rid of the ball. there's this idea among Jets fans that all it takes is 5 all pros on the OL and Mark will be fine. No QB gets that luxury or that time. despite his high sack numbers, I'd put forth that Mark's protection is decent this year. there are many QBs that don't hve a Dbrick or a mangold.[/QUOTE]

How would you grade the offensive line's run blocking this season?

[QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4298133]How would you grade the offensive line's run blocking this season?[/QUOTE]

without mangold D+
    with mangold B- they usually get good push, especially late in games

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

[QUOTE=bitonti;4298136]without mangold D+
    with mangold B- they usually get good push, especially late in games[/QUOTE]

Well, I'd grade their run blocking for the entire season D+. F in pass protection.

If what you say is true though - the pass blocking is perfectly adequate, and the run blocking is above average, I guess there's no need to draft or sign any offensive linemen. One less offseason need :dunno:

(I think I watch different games than everyone else :O)

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

noodle neck!

Veteran

two words Tammy Brady, ever watch him stand flat footed for 5 secs, like he was standing in line at the bank? Yeah OL has a lot to do with it.

I've been saying for a while now that I think something is up with him and that it looks like he has a pinched nerve. Totally reminds me of the year under Herm when we operated with Chad and a separated shoulder where he couldn't throw long at all. Playing with that bad shoulder totally ruined Chad forever in my opinion. He was never the same after that. At least a pinched nerve should not have that long term affect.

Hall Of Fame

Yeah, right. Most of his sacks he gets nailed within 2 seconds.

Brady, Brees, Rodgers--those guys never get hit as quickly as Sanchez does--they stand back there for 5, 6, 7 seconds with no one getting a whiff of them.

Give it a rest already.

_

All Pro
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4298121]I very much like Sanchez. There are alot of problems with this team but he's the only one that can fix them all.[/QUOTE]

Oh so Sanchez plays defense too?

Special teams as well?

Lol, Cool story bro :D