Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Check out this resume.....

Hall Of Fame
    Look up what happened in the Super Bowl and why it happened. Then let me know if you think Callahan is a viable OC.

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4298689]Is it at all possible that ducasse and hunter aren't talented enough to start, or in Ducasse's case play, in the NFL?

Also, could the fact that defenses are telling our players after the games that they are calling out our offensive plays before they happen? I wonder if its harder for the line to be successful if the defense has a 75% chance of knowing when its a run or pass?

When our line was number 1 everyone said callahan is the best line coach in the league. When he selected one of his former players and turned him from a 7th round pick into an NFL starter, he was considered a great teacher.

Do you think in 2 years he has become a worse coach? Did he forget how to coach the position?

No coach is as good as we think in years when they win, or as bad as we think when they lose. The only constant in our medicore offense is schotty and he has to go.

Now the passing game thing in the other thread is a completely different issue with callahan and we would have to hire a passing game coordinator, but overall this worries me more then anything.[/QUOTE]

All excellent points eaglenj. But I do think Cally had input into Ducasse and other picks and he certainly choses who he will start.

Maybe everyone else, even the practice squad, is worse than those two, but as Line Coach don't you think he could have influenced Rex and others to go out and get people?

Actually, maybe he tried and that's why he's not interested in extending.

[QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4298431]I posted this elswwhere earlier today.

At Nebraska his teams went 27-22 in his 4 years as HC. His best record was 9-5 and Nebraska finished under .500 twice. In the 4 years before Callahan Nebraska was 38-16 with a best record of 11-2, winning 10 or more games 3 times. In the 4 years since he's left Nebraska the Cornhuskers are 38-16 (again) winning 10 or more games twice with a chance to make it 3 times with a win in this years bowl game against South Carolina.

So, basicailly he failed at Nebraska. The Program was better before he arrived and returned to it's level of play after he left.

On to Oakland.

He was the OC from 1998-2001, but Chuckie ran the O and made the play calls. That changed in 2002 when Chuckie left for TB and Callahan became HC. As HC Callahan (like Chuckie before him) called the plays and ran the O. Under Callahan, in 2002, Rich Gannon was MVP, the Raiders finished 12-4 and went to the SB where they were thoroughly dismantled by Chuchie's Bucs 48-21. In 2003 the wheels fell off and the Raiders finished 4-12, Callahan was fired.

So, Bill Callahan has only had one successful season running a team/offense, and many believe (me included) that the success he had in 2002 was on the fumes of Chuckie which were exhausted when Callahan met Chuckie in the SB.

IMO Callahan would be a poor choice as OC. What the Jets need is a coach with a track record of success as an OC. And that's not Callahan.[/QUOTE]

great post

Bewildered Beast

At Nebraska his teams went 27-22 in his 4 years as HC. His best record was 9-5 and Nebraska finished under .500 twice. In the 4 years before Callahan Nebraska was 38-16 with a best record of 11-2, winning 10 or more games 3 times. In the 4 years since he's left Nebraska the Cornhuskers are 38-16 (again) winning 10 or more games twice with a chance to make it 3 times with a win in this years bowl game against South Carolina.

So, basicailly he failed at Nebraska. The Program was better before he arrived and returned to it's level of play after he left.

On to Oakland.

He was the OC from 1998-2001, but Chuckie ran the O and made the play calls. That changed in 2002 when Chuckie left for TB and Callahan became HC. As HC Callahan (like Chuckie before him) called the plays and ran the O. Under Callahan, in 2002, Rich Gannon was MVP, the Raiders finished 12-4 and went to the SB where they were thoroughly dismantled by Chuchie's Bucs 48-21. In 2003 the wheels fell off and the Raiders finished 4-12, Callahan was fired.

So, Bill Callahan has only had one successful season running a team/offense, and many believe (me included) that the success he had in 2002 was on the fumes of Chuckie which were exhausted when Callahan met Chuckie in the SB.

IMO Callahan would be a poor choice as OC. What the Jets need is a coach with a track record of success as an OC. And that's not Callahan.[/QUOTE]

That is still a shockingly superficial assessment. He dumped the Big Red wishbone to bring the WCO to Nebraska and got reamed by trying to appease everybody at once. He developed one of his players into Matt Slauson, starting LG.

He had a punishing line at Oakland and Gruden leaned on Callahan heavily.

Now I read and heard this day in and day out for years. Callahan is a dry frumpy professor like chan gaily who cannot carry a team on his personality. He was the sacrificial lamb for falling in the Superbowl. I'd say he's earned his stripes.

Well? :dunno:

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4298817]great post[/QUOTE]

are you two guys roommates? You are the strangest poster I have ever followed.

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4298872]That is still a shockingly superficial assessment. He dumped the Big Red wishbone to bring the WCO to Nebraska and got reamed by trying to appease everybody at once. He developed one of his players into Matt Slauson, starting LG.

He had a punishing line at Oakland and Gruden leaned on Callahan heavily.

Now I read and heard this day in and day out for years. Callahan is a dry frumpy professor like chan gaily who cannot carry a team on his personality. He was the sacrificial lamb for falling in the Superbowl. I'd say he's earned his stripes.

Well? :dunno:[/QUOTE]

Not ruling it out. Some people learn a great deal from failure. Somewhere in one of these threads Slauson is quoted as saying he hardly knew Callahan at Nebraska and learned more from Callahan in 6 months with the Jets than in his 4 years at Nebraska. He also said Callahan seems a lot happier now. I personally think Callahan is a really smart football junky. But there are two questions to be answered: 1) did he learn from past mistakes and 2) is he the best available candidate. This is no time to be experimenting. That is why I am firmly in the hire Norv Turner camp.

Also, please note the OP was "check out this resume". Just pointing out, it's not so stellar.

[QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4298431]many believe (me included) that the success he had in 2002 was on the fumes of Chuckie which were exhausted when Callahan met Chuckie in the SB.

Kinda like Rex and Mangini ... Our best players are from the Mangini era. Period.

Norv Turner would be my choice for OC if he is fired in SD.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4298913]Not ruling it out. Some people learn a great deal from failure. Somewhere in one of these threads Slauson is quoted as saying he hardly knew Callahan at Nebraska and learned more from Callahan in 6 months with the Jets than in his 4 years at Nebraska. He also said Callahan seems a lot happier now. I personally think Callahan is a really smart football junky. But there are two questions to be answered: 1) did he learn from past mistakes and 2) is he the best available candidate. This is no time to be experimenting. That is why I am firmly in the hire Norv Turner camp.

Also, please note the OP was "check out this resume". Just pointing out, it's not so stellar.[/QUOTE]

Good stuff. Agree about the resume.

All League
    He's an improvement over Schotty. And that's all I want at this point.

On to Oakland.

Well thought out, I think you are right.

Would Chuckie take the job to come here?