Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check out this resume.....

Check out this resume.....

Read through the record setting years he had at both Oakland and Nebraska

It's a no brainer....Cally HAS to be installed as offensive coordinator. Allows for continuity for Sanchez, yet change.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Callahan_%28American_football%29[/url]

Jets Insider VIP
    But posters out here with nothing to support their statements say he sucks so I guess he can't be our OC:rolleyes:

He runs a traditional west coast offense that would be perfect for Sanchez. We would need to find a YOUNG big wr to replace Burress for this offense to really crank.

I posted this elswwhere earlier today.

At Nebraska his teams went 27-22 in his 4 years as HC. His best record was 9-5 and Nebraska finished under .500 twice. In the 4 years before Callahan Nebraska was 38-16 with a best record of 11-2, winning 10 or more games 3 times. In the 4 years since he's left Nebraska the Cornhuskers are 38-16 (again) winning 10 or more games twice with a chance to make it 3 times with a win in this years bowl game against South Carolina.

So, basicailly he failed at Nebraska. The Program was better before he arrived and returned to it's level of play after he left.

On to Oakland.

He was the OC from 1998-2001, but Chuckie ran the O and made the play calls. That changed in 2002 when Chuckie left for TB and Callahan became HC. As HC Callahan (like Chuckie before him) called the plays and ran the O. Under Callahan, in 2002, Rich Gannon was MVP, the Raiders finished 12-4 and went to the SB where they were thoroughly dismantled by Chuchie's Bucs 48-21. In 2003 the wheels fell off and the Raiders finished 4-12, Callahan was fired.

So, Bill Callahan has only had one successful season running a team/offense, and many believe (me included) that the success he had in 2002 was on the fumes of Chuckie which were exhausted when Callahan met Chuckie in the SB.

IMO Callahan would be a poor choice as OC. What the Jets need is a coach with a track record of success as an OC. And that's not Callahan.

Sonny, we're not asking him to be the hc, just the oc.

[QUOTE=NYJ37/12;4298446]Sonny, we're not asking him to be the hc, just the oc.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure he ran the offense at Oakland and Nebraska as the HC. I just think we'd be taking a chance we don't have to take. There has to be at least a couple of OC candidates from outside the organization that have succeeded in more than one location as an OC.

[QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4298452]I'm pretty sure he ran the offense at Oakland and Nebraska as the HC. I just think we'd be taking a chance we don't have to take. There has to be at least a couple of OC candidates from outside the organization that have succeeded in more than one location as an OC.[/QUOTE]

I agree, they should look at all possible options. First thing though is to see if they fire Schotty.

He can't coach the line, how can he handle the whole O

[QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4298421]But posters out here with nothing to support their statements say he sucks so I guess he can't be our OC:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

How about the fact that he can't teach Hunter or Ducasse or apparently any of the other backups to block?

How about the fact that we are killed by penalties from the line, 3 from Moore alone on Saturday.

How about the fact that the collapasing line in the second half doomed us to failure on Saturday? (And don't start with Sancheese holds the ball too long, he was scrambling from the collapse long before anyone had time to get free.)

So, there are your facts. If he can't handle the job of line coach, how can he handle OC?:rolleyes: back at ya

[QUOTE=met92jet;4298413]Read through the record setting years he had at both Oakland and Nebraska

It's a no brainer....Cally HAS to be installed as offensive coordinator. Allows for continuity for Sanchez, yet change.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Callahan_%28American_football%29[/url][/QUOTE]

I think a case for Callahan os OC can be made, but you sacrifice all credibility by holding his Nebraska tenure up as a success.

He didn't win at a place were winning is pretty damn easy to do. That program is a powerhouse, and his tenure was not a successful one there. Which is why it didn't last all that long.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;4298548]I think a case for Callahan os OC can be made, but you sacrifice all credibility by holding his Nebraska tenure up as a success.

He didn't win at a place were winning is pretty damn easy to do. That program is a powerhouse, and his tenure was not a successful one there. Which is why it didn't last all that long.[/QUOTE]

Amen brother, AMEN!!!

Veteran
    [QUOTE=nuu faaola;4298548]I think a case for Callahan os OC can be made, but you sacrifice all credibility by holding his Nebraska tenure up as a success.

He didn't win at a place were winning is pretty damn easy to do. That program is a powerhouse, and his tenure was not a successful one there. Which is why it didn't last all that long.[/QUOTE]

The reason why he failed here was because he tried to have kids play in an NFL style system. Mentally unprepared, unpaid college kids who still have to make the grade here couldn't take the demand his system was requiring. However, there was a lot of progress and we really lit it up.

UNFORTUNATELY ... he neglected the defense so much so we would lose games 45-70. No, that is not hyperbole.

If you want offense, he will give you offense.

Oh and the program is NOT a powerhouse and hasn't been in now over a decade. Nebraska has not won a division championship in over ten years.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=GoBigGreen;4298554]The reason why he failed here was because he tried to have kids play in an NFL style system. Mentally unprepared, unpaid college kids who still have to make the grade here couldn't take the demand his system was requiring. However, there was a lot of progress and we really lit it up.

UNFORTUNATELY ... he neglected the defense so much so we would lose games 45-70. No, that is not hyperbole.

If you want offense, he will give you offense.

Oh and the program is NOT a powerhouse and hasn't been in now over a decade. Nebraska has not won a division championship in over ten years.[/QUOTE]

Yea he's an offensive genuis - just like his call on the fake punt in 2007 Cotton Bowl...

Just say no to BC!!!!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=met92jet;4298413]Read through the record setting years he had at both Oakland and Nebraska

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Callahan_%28American_football%29[/url][/QUOTE]

Rich Gannon on Sirius radio said today that Callahan has very limited knowledge of calling passing plays. He doubts that he'd even take the job as he is basically an OL coach.
    Last edited by Kentucky Jet; 12-29-2011 at 06:34 PM.

All League
    i have been staying this all along. He is perfect for the job.

Yet another great move by the Manginus!

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4298452]I'm pretty sure he ran the offense at Oakland and Nebraska as the HC. I just think we'd be taking a chance we don't have to take. There has to be at least a couple of OC candidates from outside the organization that have succeeded in more than one location as an OC.[/QUOTE]

The Green Bay QB coach is the guy we should look very seriouslt at. The job he ha sdone with Matt Flynn is incredible and he can call run as well as passing plays.

Veteran
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4298431]I posted this elswwhere earlier today.

At Nebraska his teams went 27-22 in his 4 years as HC. His best record was 9-5 and Nebraska finished under .500 twice. In the 4 years before Callahan Nebraska was 38-16 with a best record of 11-2, winning 10 or more games 3 times. In the 4 years since he's left Nebraska the Cornhuskers are 38-16 (again) winning 10 or more games twice with a chance to make it 3 times with a win in this years bowl game against South Carolina.

So, basicailly he failed at Nebraska. The Program was better before he arrived and returned to it's level of play after he left.

On to Oakland.

He was the OC from 1998-2001, but Chuckie ran the O and made the play calls. That changed in 2002 when Chuckie left for TB and Callahan became HC. As HC Callahan (like Chuckie before him) called the plays and ran the O. Under Callahan, in 2002, Rich Gannon was MVP, the Raiders finished 12-4 and went to the SB where they were thoroughly dismantled by Chuchie's Bucs 48-21. In 2003 the wheels fell off and the Raiders finished 4-12, Callahan was fired.

So, Bill Callahan has only had one successful season running a team/offense, and many believe (me included) that the success he had in 2002 was on the fumes of Chuckie which were exhausted when Callahan met Chuckie in the SB.

IMO Callahan would be a poor choice as OC. What the Jets need is a coach with a track record of success as an OC. And that's not Callahan.[/QUOTE]

Didn't Gannon get hurt in 2003 which led to the 4-12 season?

If Callahan is not inspiring and producing great play now, why will it suddenly happen if he becomes OC?

Jets need to do the same thing that they did when they brought in Rex. Find someone that can change the culture of the offense. Someone who can get them to play with the same swag as the defense.

Nobody on the CS is doing that at the moment.

[QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4298540]How about the fact that he can't teach Hunter or Ducasse or apparently any of the other backups to block?

How about the fact that we are killed by penalties from the line, 3 from Moore alone on Saturday.

How about the fact that the collapasing line in the second half doomed us to failure on Saturday? (And don't start with Sancheese holds the ball too long, he was scrambling from the collapse long before anyone had time to get free.)

So, there are your facts. If he can't handle the job of line coach, how can he handle OC?:rolleyes: back at ya[/QUOTE]

Is it at all possible that ducasse and hunter aren't talented enough to start, or in Ducasse's case play, in the NFL?

Also, could the fact that defenses are telling our players after the games that they are calling out our offensive plays before they happen? I wonder if its harder for the line to be successful if the defense has a 75% chance of knowing when its a run or pass?

When our line was number 1 everyone said callahan is the best line coach in the league. When he selected one of his former players and turned him from a 7th round pick into an NFL starter, he was considered a great teacher.

Do you think in 2 years he has become a worse coach? Did he forget how to coach the position?

No coach is as good as we think in years when they win, or as bad as we think when they lose. The only constant in our medicore offense is schotty and he has to go.

Now the passing game thing in the other thread is a completely different issue with callahan and we would have to hire a passing game coordinator, but overall this worries me more then anything.

the oakland job comparison is more than a bit unfair. first off, tampa won the sb because chuckie knew what plays the raiders were going to run. it also didn't help that the raider players partied a bit too hard before the game. and where is the wunderkind gruden now? he got canned from tampa and is now a talking head. the bottom line is you really can't separate the success of callahan from the success that gruden had with the raiders.

as for nebraska, true enough about callahan's record but wasn't nebraska on probation during that time? there are other reasons why teams don't do well besides coaching.

i'm not 100% behind callahan. compared to what the jets currently have, he's way better though.

[QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4298431]I posted this elswwhere earlier today.

On to Oakland.

IMO Callahan would be a poor choice as OC. What the Jets need is a coach with a track record of success as an OC. And that's not Callahan.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Kentucky Jet;4298565]Rich Gannon on Sirius radio said today that Callahan has very limited knowledge of calling passing plays. He doubts that he'd even take the job as he is basically an OL coach.[/QUOTE]

Well our current OC has limited knowledge of calling passing plays as well.

One of the first pass plays vs the Giants was a back shoulder out pattern that Sanchez threw great. Its a pattern the entire league has started to run more and more.....did we run it again on Saturday? NOPE.....because our OC looks more at a list of plays then at the game and whats actually going on.

It can't get worse.