Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something VERY Interesting I heard on Sirius about CALLY....

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=IM3;4298589]God no

[B]We need an entire overhaul of the offense[/B], an offense that features attacking the opponent's weakness, with different gameplans depending on who we are facing, it seems that all our skill players have the same stats no matter who we play, when was the last time we attacked a matchup weakness for the other team, when was our last 125 yard receiver? our last 350 yard passer?, guys put up those numbers every freaking week.[/QUOTE]

I'm leaning towards this approach as well. I was watching the Green Bay game the other day. And while its true that Rogers has the ability to throw the ball downfield into very tight spaces, he also has the luxury of having guys wide open on numerous occasions. And that was without Greg Jennings playing.

The Jets offense appears to have an unfortunate combination of 1) a somewhat inaccurate QB, 2) WRs who don't seem to get much separation and 3) an OC who can't seem to come up with route combinations that spreads the field and attacks downfield.

Now, revamping the Offensive staff won't necessarily make chicken salad from chicken sh!t, but whatever we're doing now ain't working all that well and Callahan has been here for a while. If he hasn't had any input into what's going on, that's on him. He's the Ass't HC. If he had some creative ideas for the Offense to cure what ails it, he should have thrown them out there. He's got to take ownership of that to some extent as well.

All and all, I'd rather start over, even if that means we lose his expertise on the Oline. And judging from the play this year, I can't say I'll be too upset about that loss either.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=The Nature Boy;4298649]Yes.

Seriously, you all act like running an NFL offense is like running a HS offense.

There is not ONE coordinator in the league that does it all. NOT ONE. What Gannon says is mostly true although Callahan is well-versed in the passing game too. He chooses NOT to do it because he knows he can't do it all. If he were hired, he would pass that portion off to a guy he trusted but it would be done under his direction. A guy like Jay Norvell (worked under Tom Moore) would probably be hired to coordinate the pass game.[/QUOTE]

Can I say... CAN I SAY THIS!!!!

Your post are consistenly well balanced and informative...

Thank you as always:yes:

[QUOTE=Magnus;4298644]Seriously it was un****ing believable. If it was 2nd and long he would run it up the gut 99.9% of the time. It was amazing if you really think about it. I liked Chad MUCH more than Sanchez so it was infuriating to say the least. Rex wants a Hackett system to implement his stupid ground and pound and lets hide the QB we are paying a fortune to run the ball.[/QUOTE]

Hackett ran a true west coast offense, no shotgun ever. Lots of draws and delays, which usually produced 1st. downs with Martin running. Fullback used often in the short passing attack, see Anderson. He needed a tall wr to really make it work, Chrebet and Coles were not cutting it.

i dont want cally and i dont want norv.

this article makes me think.....gannon as a qb coach (b/c cavanaugh has to go too)?

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=NYJ37/12;4298657]Hackett ran a true west coast offense, no shotgun ever. Lots of draws and delays, which usually produced 1st. downs with Martin running. Fullback used often in the short passing attack, see Anderson. He needed a tall wr to really make it work, Chrebet and Coles were not cutting it.[/QUOTE]

Why state facts and the truth...

Lies and outright distortions sound so much better....:D

[QUOTE=crasherino;4298653]I'm leaning towards this approach as well. I was watching the Green Bay game the other day. And while its true that Rogers has the ability to throw the ball downfield into very tight spaces, he also has the luxury of having guys wide open on numerous occasions. And that was without Greg Jennings playing.

The Jets offense appears to have an unfortunate combination of 1) a somewhat inaccurate QB, 2) WRs who don't seem to get much separation and 3) an OC who can't seem to come up with route combinations that spreads the field and attacks downfield.

Now, revamping the Offensive staff won't necessarily make chicken salad from chicken sh!t, but whatever we're doing now ain't working all that well and Callahan has been here for a while. If he hasn't had any input into what's going on, that's on him. He's the Ass't HC. If he had some creative ideas for the Offense to cure what ails it, he should have thrown them out there. He's got to take ownership of that to some extent as well.

All and all, I'd rather start over, even if that means we lose his expertise on the Oline. And judging from the play this year, I can't say I'll be too upset about that loss either.[/QUOTE]

Callahan has told Rex he wants his offensive evaluations taken more seriously and was part of the reason why Moore became a consultant. I don't know what more you want him to do besides buy the team from Woody and fire Schotty himself. There is a good reason why he hasn't re-upped his contract after the Jets organization has made repeated attempts. There is plenty of blame to go around but Callahan is by far the smartest guy on the offensive staff and would put him at #2 (behind rex) as somebody you don't want to lose at this point in time. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be very tough to replace his knowledge set.

[QUOTE=Charlie Brown;4298656]Can I say... CAN I SAY THIS!!!!

Your post are consistenly well balanced and informative...

Thank you as always:yes:[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I think Callahan is a true asset to the Jets. In his last 8 NFL years, he has been to 1 SB as a coach and went to 4 AFC title games as either HC, Asst HC, or OC. Since this year isn't finished yet, he has been in the AFC title game 4 out of 7 years. Not a bad run at all.

[QUOTE=The Nature Boy;4298695]Thanks. I think Callahan is a true asset to the Jets. In his last 8 NFL years, he has been to 1 SB as a coach and went to 4 AFC title games as either HC, Asst HC, or OC. Since this year isn't finished yet, he has been in the AFC title game 4 out of 7 years. Not a bad run at all.[/QUOTE]

Dude, Callahan hasn't been able to make Vlad Ducasse into a pro bowler, he sux.....:rolleyes:

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4298696]Dude, Callahan hasn't been able to make Vlad Ducasse into a pro bowler, he sux.....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

darn it. I knew I was forgetting something. Yup, that probably outweighs all the positives. ;)

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=JetsFanatic;4298581]Very informed opinion. So I guess if he is named we will have a thousand "Fire Callahan" threads.[/QUOTE]

Duh , if the man has little to no experience in calling passing plays, do you want him as our OC? Try to use some logic in your response. Thanks:eek:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=nycuse;4298663]i dont want cally and i dont want norv.

this article makes me think.....gannon as a qb coach (b/c cavanaugh has to go too)?[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that Sanchez did work with Gannon in the off season. The results have not been exactly inspiring so far.

[QUOTE=IM3;4298589]God no

We need an entire overhaul of the offense, an offense that features attacking the opponent's weakness, with different gameplans depending on who we are facing, it seems that all our skill players have the same stats no matter who we play, when was the last time we attacked a matchup weakness for the other team, .[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"] LOL[/SIZE] :D how about Saturday when we went after the worst pass defense in the league? A complete customization and change of strategy, and pretty damned innovative: "Ground and Pound through the air!"

How many whiner threads where there on "OMG, 64 passes, what where they thinking of! Shotty's a retard, Sanchez sucks (even though he hit over 75% in the first half, and even though Shotty recognized it wasn't working after the first 3 plays of the 2nd half and did a damn good job of adjusting)"

Oh wait, and don't forget by mid to end of the 3rd Quarter the brainchild of the man everyone wants as our new OC TOTALLY COLLAPSED!

[QUOTE=WestCoastOffensive;4298643]We have success with the same boring formula. An off year from an incredible 2009 and a solid 2010. RUn, Defense, Specials, balance, try to keep it low scoring game by ball control...Parcells, Weiss, Henning, Hackett, Heimerdinger, Schottsky. Explosive plays just give the ball back to the opponent faster. :D It seems our head coaches have been yelling for explosive plays for decades. :nono:

Shall I go on? We will NEVER leave this formula; Carroll tried explicitly to go West Coast and Boomer Eisaison complained to the GM! "WE"RE A SMASHMOUTH TEAM" look it up.

Ike, better pray for a Knicks championship. :yes:[/QUOTE]

Knicks looked 3 players away from a championship last night--just horrible. More NYC Hubris.

[QUOTE=aagarcia;4298563]Gannon was talking and said that Gruden was the one with all the passing schemes and just relied on Cally for blocking and running schemes. :eek: That he was never really involved in what went on with the passing game. That when Cally became head coach he still wasn't involved.
    That being said, do you still want Callahan as new OC??[/QUOTE]

I want Norv Turner.

Bewildered Beast
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4298778]Knicks looked 3 players away from a championship last night--just horrible. More NYC Hubris.[/QUOTE]

Warrior fans very happy. :D David Lee and Monte Ellis are a good start.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

[QUOTE=eaglenj;4298696]Dude, Callahan hasn't been able to make Vlad Ducasse into a pro bowler, he sux.....:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

I'm not suggesting that I want to get rid of cally necessarily, but this Kline has regressed to a man.....significantly. That mainly falls on him. The back up qb is typically the most popular guy around. In our case, it's the backup OC.

If the jets make him OC, I'm ok with that, I guess. I don't know what happens behind the scenes enough to question it one way or another. But, at this point, my preference would be to bring a fresh face with new ideas as to how to utilize Sanchez, and this offense as a whole, best. We might need to upgrade in a few spots but I refuse to believe that this cast of characters is this inept.

Veteran
    can Tom Moore be the OC and bring Peyton Manning as the QB coach.

Uh ... No .... Vlad Sucks :/