Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great Analysis of Sanchez Error

Great Analysis of Sanchez Error

This is quite a good analysis of one play that shows why Sanchez is lacking.

[url]http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/12/29/2669423/when-a-passing-game-can-do-nothing-right[/url]

I see Sanchez "overthinking" more and more. To me, this comes from above. Schit flows downstream. When your OC is a high strung neurotic full of tight, negative energy, the players do more thinking than reacting.

Sanchez isn't a football dunce. When he's running the two minute drill, or escaping a broken pocket, he actually makes pretty good, quick decisions. These are the "reaction" situations. It's only within the context of a pretty schitty offense that he's forced to play to avoid mistakes, rather than play to make plays.

[QUOTE=rextilleon;4298844]This is quite a good analysis of one play that shows why Sanchez is lacking.

[url]http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/12/29/2669423/when-a-passing-game-can-do-nothing-right[/url][/QUOTE]

Its been that way most of the season I have noticed. He simply is not playing like a NFL QB this season.

It seems to me that he has the vast majority of his success if his first read is open(The high TD's), and he can make the throws somewhat accurate. But if his first read is covered or ANYTHING goes wrong he just has no idea what to do. He forgets the situation, loses his mechanics, is inaccurate, and loses all awareness even when the protection is perfect.

The more I watch of him I kind of get what Asante and these defenses have been talking about. If you cover Sanchez primary receiver the defense will win most of the time.

[QUOTE=Astoria;4298885]I see Sanchez "overthinking" more and more. To me, this comes from above. Schit flows downstream. When your OC is a high strung neurotic full of tight, negative energy, the players do more thinking than reacting.

Sanchez isn't a football dunce. When he's running the two minute drill, or escaping a broken pocket, he actually makes pretty good, quick decisions. [B]These are the "reaction" situations.[/B] It's only within the context of a pretty schitty offense that he's forced to play to avoid mistakes, rather than play to make plays.[/QUOTE]

So in the play above, with a wide open Patrick Turner in site---this wouldnt be considered a "reaction" to throw to the wide open reciever?

The Last two minute drill Sanchez had he ran backwards into the endzone for a game losing safety. The two minute drill before that(Denver) was horrid as well. Same with Oakland earlier in the year.

Sanchez has a bunch of 4th quarter comebacks this year(All the credit to him)--but they are usually earlier in the quater like the Bills game, SD game, Cowboys, and Washington.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4298844]This is quite a good analysis of one play that shows why Sanchez is lacking.

[url]http://www.ganggreennation.com/2011/12/29/2669423/when-a-passing-game-can-do-nothing-right[/url][/QUOTE]

Whats the issue that sanchez holds the ball to long....this well know i thini he rather take a sac then an int

[quote=KR]So in the play above, with a wide open Patrick Turner in site---this wouldnt be considered a "reaction" to throw to the wide open reciever?[/quote]

No, that was the play design, it was a designed rollout. Not saying he should be excused for not making the throw, but do you think if it was a broken play instead he would have whizzed that ball on target and on time? My observation of Sanchez is absolutely yes, he's much better "unscripted".

And my point is, what does that tell you about the trust or confidence Sanchez has in the offensive scheme...where he is wildly inaccurate and makes bad decisions when the play otherwise is going according to plan? At some point you think it might have to be psychological between him and Schotty's offense. If Mark knows he has to make a thousand perfect decisions and throws to march down the field in (minimum) 15 overly tricksy plays, he starts to aim the ball and overthink.

[quote=KR]The Last two minute drill Sanchez had he ran backwards into the endzone for a game losing safety. The two minute drill before that(Denver) was horrid as well. Same with Oakland earlier in the year.[/quote]

I saw a dropback to pass, not "running backwards into the endzone". He absolutely needed to get the ball out sooner, but it's not as bad as you make it seem, he didn't sabotage the play all by himself.

Also if I recall, the Denver two minute drill was very much abbreviated, and possibly with one or zero timeouts. Could be wrong. I've really blocked out that game and the Oakland game. I just seem to recall this season that Sanchez had a few rough "2 minute" drills that were really like minute and change, with length of the field to go. He can't take blame for that - nobody converts those drives 100% of the time.

[quote=KR]Sanchez has a bunch of 4th quarter comebacks this year(All the credit to him)--but they are usually earlier in the quater like the Bills game, SD game, Cowboys, and Washington.[/quote]

You're right about the other ones, but the Bills comeback the winning TD was thrown with only 1:01 remaining. I'll take his track record from last year though (including playoffs against Indy) for proof of ability late in 4th quarters.

Sanchez will get 1 maybe 2 more seasons to show otherwise he is gone. I would love to see how he does in a new system.

Sanchez had the correct instincts to make plays like this in the past. Under the current coaches, they have coached it out of him. He is over thinking the easiest of reads and plays. This is a bad sign and has been what Sh!tty and the entire cast of a$$clowns that coach the O have done to our young QB. They are better off drawing plays in the dirt than using what Sh!tty has drawn up.

[QUOTE=srobjets;4298911]Sanchez had the correct instincts to make plays like this in the past. Under the current coaches, they have coached it out of him. He is over thinking the easiest of reads and plays. This is a bad sign and has been what Sh!tty and the entire cast of a$$clowns that coach the O have done to our young QB. They are better off drawing plays in the dirt than using what Sh!tty has drawn up.[/QUOTE]

Don't absolve Rex from this..He was the one that came up with the color coded system. I think Rex and the coaches going into this season wanted to cut down on the INTs and increase Sanchez completion %..In doing so it has made (I hope) Sanchez tentative. I hope its only because of this and not due to lack of ability/instincts.

Sanchez's left wristband Sunday was color coordinated with green, yellow and red and looked like a traffic light, a simple code system devised by Rex Ryan, the self-appointed chief of ball security, in an attempt to Save The Sanchise and give the Jets hope in the wild-card race.

[URL]http://articles.nydailynews.com/2009-11-30/sports/17939849_1_mark-sanchez-code-red-jets-hope[/URL]
    Last edited by C Mart; 12-30-2011 at 08:52 AM.

[QUOTE=srobjets;4298911]Sanchez had the correct instincts to make plays like this in the past. Under the current coaches, they have coached it out of him. [/QUOTE]

That is exactly the issue, as you and several others said. When Sanchez is 100% on instinct his decisions and accuracy improve greatly.

But that said, can you really make a career on instincts? I can't fault the coaches for trying to take him to the next level but there is where the criticism is valid. Maybe he can't make it at the thinking, deliberate level? He'd have a better chance if the OLine gave him time though.

Did you see NO on Thursday? Not only did the Oline give Brees time, they were clearing passing lanes because Brees is not so tall. What could Sanchez do with that kind of support?

[QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4298940]That is exactly the issue, as you and several others said. When Sanchez is 100% on instinct his decisions and accuracy improve greatly.

But that said, can you really make a career on instincts? I can't fault the coaches for trying to take him to the next level but there is where the criticism is valid. Maybe he can't make it at the thinking, deliberate level? He'd have a better chance if the OLine gave him time though.

Did you see NO on Thursday? Not only did the Oline give Brees time, they were clearing passing lanes because Brees is not so tall. What could Sanchez do with that kind of support?[/QUOTE]

We also saw some incredible anticipation by Bree's. He throws to spots on the field and knows where his guys will be at all times. His accuracy is in another realm too compared to Sanchez.

Everyone thinks things will automatically click for Sanchez once Schotty's is gone. It's just not going to happen over night like everyone is thinking, though.
    If you go to the games vs watching on tv, then you can see how bad his accuracy is once he tries to throw down field.

Btw I've noticed this very thing with Sanchez too... He rolls out and doesn't take what the defense gives him, the underneath routes are open many times, but instead he holds on to the ball and locks in to the deep receiver, who is usually covered.

[QUOTE=Monsterxman;4298949]Btw I've noticed this very thing with Sanchez too... He rolls out and doesn't take what the defense gives him, the underneath routes are open many times, but instead he holds on to the ball and locks in to the deep receiver, who is usually covered.[/QUOTE]

As have I...Similar play to this one earlier in the game..Roll right, Turner open for 10 yards and Sanchez held onto the ball and ended up getting sacked

People blame the playcalling for lack of offensive flow/rhythm but if Sanchez takes what the D gives him and completes the passes the chains move...

[QUOTE=JetsNeedNewton;4298940]That is exactly the issue, as you and several others said. When Sanchez is 100% on instinct his decisions and accuracy improve greatly.

Did you see NO on Thursday? Not only did the Oline give Brees time, they were clearing passing lanes because Brees is not so tall. What could Sanchez do with that kind of support?[/QUOTE]

I was thinking this exact thing yesterday....who is the Saints QB Coach? Would that guy be someone to bring in here to implement the same type of play design, especially in the blocking scheme? Brees is over an inch shorter then sanchez never has the ball batted down.

As far as the coaches quelling his instincts....sanchez is SO tentative to run, its maddening. I know he got hurt ONCE, but he is a pretty mobile guy...and routinely has an opportunity to get good yardage running, but he always hesitates, and winds up getting 3 yards when he could have had 10 and also added a dimension for the defense to have to track. That is all on Rex trying to keep him healthy and hurting his ability to make plays.

He had that kind of support in year one and tweo of his career. The jets had a top notch oline, defense and running game his 1st two year. He has shown so far that without those tools he can't lift the team on his back and win important games on his own initiative.

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4299013]He had that kind of support in year one and tweo of his career. The jets had a top notch oline, defense and running game his 1st two year. He has shown so far that without those tools he can't lift the team on his back and win important games on his own initiative.[/QUOTE]

i don't get the 'put the team on his back and win' thing. take eli this year. everyone has said he's 'put the giants on his back', etc. well, the giants are 8-7. eli has barely garnered a winning record. and eli has top notch wrs. nicks is a pro bowl caliber player. cruz turns screen passes into 99 yard tds. they have big TEs who can make tough catches over the middle. throw in manningham now and again too.

even brady has help. his line gives him good protection and many times he's throwing short routes to welker and his TEs. but brady is one of the best of all time.

most other qbs in the nfl not named peyton, brady or rodgers need some help. sometimes that comes in the form of great wrs. sometimes it's with great rbs. other times it's with exceptional coaching.

the problem with the jets right now, is that the jets offense has nothing besides sanchez and mangold. brick has regressed, the rest of the line is average to sucky. they have 1 TE who can catch when the ball isn't hitting him in the face. holmes has turned into a slightly above JAG and plax is only good in the red zone. i'm not saying sanchez is brees (which in an ideal world he'd turn into), but at least brees has guys and a system around him to max out on his abilities. besides mangold, there's really noone else who can help sanchez elevate his game. he's out there by himself, getting nailed, taking blame, while rex, schotty, the o-line and the defense continue to suck all around him.

at this point, i'm skeptical that sanchez can be more than a decent starter over the long haul. but since they traded up for him and have invested so much time/effort and he has demonstrated the ability to bounce back (and he's a real tough guy), it makes sense to improve around him. b/c even if they decide in a year or 2 to get rid of him and go in another direction, it would be nice to have had 2 regular offseasons/drafts to improve o-line, pass rush, wr speed and secondary so that if/when they get another qb, he's not facing the same crappy situation whereby if he doesn't play like rodgers he's getting pasted immediately. there's nothing wrong with fixing other areas, making intelligent FA signings and then addressing the qb position if nothing else makes sense. it's easy to forget sometimes that the defense looked putrid in several games this season, even some they won (ie, the 2nd buffalo game).

Who gives a schit about Eli ?....

All Pro
    That is a sure sign of a QB whose confidence has been shaken and is terrified of making a mistake.

[QUOTE=srobjets;4298911]Sanchez had the correct instincts to make plays like this in the past. Under the current coaches, they have coached it out of him. He is over thinking the easiest of reads and plays. This is a bad sign and has been what Sh!tty and the entire cast of a$$clowns that coach the O have done to our young QB. They are better off drawing plays in the dirt than using what Sh!tty has drawn up.[/QUOTE]

LOL. I guess Schotty is the Fat Bastard stealing the mojo of Sanchez's Austin Powers.

They've "coached out of him" the ability to see a wide-open receiver and throw the ball to that receiver? If that's the case, then he's ruined and the Jets should move on immediately after the game. Leave Sanchez's ass in South Beach.

I guess when Schotty moves on, he can give Sanchez's mojo to some scrub like Blaine Gabbert or Matt Moore. Then those guys can complete three passes in the 4th quarter of a playoff game to set up a field goal or throw for 100 yards in a playoff victory and have rabid fans on their knees ready to worship. I mean after all, only clutch, soon-to-be superstar QBs can do that...

I don't understand why it's impossible for both Schotty AND Sanchez to suck. Why does it always have to be one person that does the team in?

[QUOTE=GreenWave;4299440]
    I don't understand why it's impossible for both Schotty AND Sanchez to suck. Why does it always have to be one person that does the team in?[/QUOTE]

+1 and if something has been coached out of a player, are we so sure a different coach can "coach it back in?"