Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Sacrificing Brian isnít the right play

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Its the stupidest "argument" ever. Like the coach has no effect on the player and the players have no effect on the coach? Seriously, by that logic why even both evaluating players and holding coaches accountable? One doesnt effect the other......just a senseless argument.
    Bill Parcells was a HOF coach, who never won a ring without Lawrence Taylor

Bill Bellichek is a HOF coach, who never won a ring without Tom Brady

Great coaches need great players. They don't turn mediocre players into Hall of Famers.

I just think the effect of coaches is overrated, and it's wishful thinking. We wish firing Schotty will make everything better, cause it's easy move.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

Great coaches need great players. They don't turn mediocre players into Hall of Famers.

I just think the effect of coaches is overrated, and it's wishful thinking. We wish firing Schotty will make everything better, cause it's easy move.
    How long exactly have you been watching football? Coaching is overrated in the NFL? LOL.....you really have lost ALL credibility around here.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Bit,

Continuing the way we are is pretty much guaranteeing failure. At this point you have only four options:

1. Stay the course. We cannot. Some change has to be made
    2. Bring in a rookie or veteran QB to run Schotts offense over Sanchez
    3. Duump Schottenheimer and try a new OC and philosophy with the QB that has 2 years left on his contract.
    4. Dump BOTH

#1 is too passive, and there is nothing to point to this suddenly working next year. So this option is out

#2 It is unlikely to find a vet QB better than Sanchez, and we probably dont have the ammunition to go get a first day starter in round 1. We probably SHOULD draft a QB in this coming draft though, even as early as round 2 or even 1 if someone emerges as a terrific prospect and drops to us

#3 The only viable option. Three years ago we signed our "franchise" QB. Although I think he is judged pretty harshly, Sanchez is not that guy and is still prone to losses of composure where he goes away for complete games. You have to see if his failure is because of the system he is playing in. Keep in mind, we have never had an exceptional or even above average offense really under Schott. If we had maybe you go with option 2

#4 Just has too much ripple effect to be viable. If we went with option 4 we would need to go into full scale rebuilding mode. If this option was decided we may just mortgage next years draft as well to get a RGIII or Luck, but I just do not see us going this way. If we went this route, we would likely need to consider trading players like Revis and Harris and we just would never do that.

So the only thing we can do is dump Schottenheimer. It may not work but the only choice we really have to fix our offense.
    This is exactly right. Thank you.

Post describes the exact situation. Must do something drastic and getting rid of the OC is the only logical move.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    How long exactly have you been watching football? Coaching is overrated in the NFL? LOL.....you really have lost ALL credibility around here.
    why do Quarterbacks make 8 million a year and coaches make maybe 1 million?

if coaches were more important shouldn't they be paid more?

Hall Of Fame

Consistency is what will help Sanchez most. Bring in a new OC and the scheme changes and Mark will have a new learning process and possibly a setback.

Hall Of Fame
    i dont want to turn this into a political thread but if you want to talk politics you know where to find me.

in the mean time let me summarize my position as 1) the OC really doesn't matter 2) it's all about the QB. (QBIE)

a great QB makes an OC look good it doesn't often work the other way. For a period of time Tom Brady didn't even have an OC.

Jets fans are obsessed with the OC since the days of Hackett. but every NFL offense is basically the same template of Bill Walsh/ Don Coryell. It's up to the QB to execute. they can fire Schotty or not fire Schotty, I don't think it matters. If Sanchez grows up in year 4 (or year 7) it will be because he grew up not because he has a different play book.
    True. He has got to execute the calls no matter who the OC is. Guys here think that a new OC will cure the ills that plagued us this year. I see an undiscip[lined team and that is up to REX to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Mark Cannizzaro

Let me preface this by acknowledging how unpopular the following thought is going to be with Jets fans who are certain to inundate my inbox with vitriol before the ink dries on this page.

Schotty should stay.

For the frustrated Jets fans who are convinced they can call plays and develop Mark Sanchez better than Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer and want him fired yesterday, I propose for calmer, cooler, more level heads to prevail when offseason decision-making time arrives.

Stability is Sanchezís best friend right now and firing Schottenheimer as the scapegoat to this disappointing season that ó barring a New Yearís Day miracle ó will unceremoniously end in South Florida, is not the most prudent path to take.

Have we forgotten that Schottenheimer has developed a young quarterback with one year of college experience as an immediate NFL starter while helping his team get to consecutive AFC Championships the last two seasons?

Go back in NFL history and count how many times that has been done and the list will be shorter than the waiting list for the high-end PSLs at MetLife Stadium.

Where is it written that after a disappointing, underachieving season, a scapegoat must be identified and a severed head must be delivered to the town square for display to make everyone feel better?

If you think Schottenheimer, for all his flaws (and there are a few, including in-game play-calling lapses), is the sole reason the Jets are 8-7 with only a scant chance of making it into the playoffs, youíre misinformed.

You obviously werenít paying attention as general manager Mike Tannenbaum was tearing up the teamís chemistry in the offseason by not re-signing right tackle Damien Woody and dumping three receivers Sanchez with whom had great chemistry ó Braylon Edwards, Jerricho Cotchery and Brad Smith.

While Schottenheimer must take responsibility for an offense thatís ranked 27th in the NFL ó and he did exactly that yesterday ó he wasnít exactly dealt a straight flush by team management.

Not far removed from wearing green and playing for Schottenheimer, former Jets quarterback Chad Pennington, a voice of reason with terrific perspective on the matter, weighed in during a conversation with The Post yesterday, calling for patience.

ďI hope that the Jets organization understands the process of building a championship team for the long haul and not just for short-term success,íí Pennington said. ďWhen you look back at the whole body of work the last two years, if youíre asking for change I donít see how that makes any sense. The grass isnít always greener on the other side of the fence.

ďWeíre not playing a Madden video game where you can just change computer images. Stability is important when developing a young quarterback.íí

Hereís a quiz for Jets fans: Name the last offensive coordinator you were happy with.

There are fewer NFL cities with fans who love their offensive coordinator than there are teams with a Lombardi Trophy in their lobby.

As an example close to home, Giants fans canít stand theirs, Kevin Gilbride, and the Giantsí offense is ranked No. 8 in the NFL.

ďEveryone on the outside thinks they can call plays better,íí Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson said. ďThe play caller always gets the criticism. I think itís unfair, because itís not Brianís fault. Brian is not on the field. Heís on the sideline calling plays. We have to execute those plays.íí

Good Article.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Jet View Post
    Consistency is what will help Sanchez most. Bring in a new OC and the scheme changes and Mark will have a new learning process and possibly a setback.
    You've never seen a QB go to a new team and pick things up quickly?

Sanchez will have training camp plus preseason along with a potentially better system to boot. He isn't stupid.

All Pro

Under your theory Schotty is as good as Vince Lombardi and Bill Walsh!!!

You can't be serious...

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    we dont need to kill him, just firing him will be enough
    Whatever will rid us of him and take him far, far away. As for the perceived threat to continuity what's wrong with promoting Callahan/Moore? Shouldn't be an impossible adjustment for Sanchez given their familiarity with the system. I would expect a big change in results though.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

He has had consistencey and is going backwards. Obviously the system doesn't make sense to him. That is not a bad thing. The only ones who admire this system are the defensive players who play against it and know what's coming.

Please define 'setback' when comparing it to this year's offense which is at the bottom of the league.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    "Consistency" is the most over-rated and over-used defense of Mediocrity in NFL Land.

There is no such thing as consistency in the NFL, players, position coaches all move around, every year teams change 20% or more of the roster.

Consistency is a lame defense when what has been consistent is underperforming mediocre production, and the same crazy playcalling, lack of adjustment week to week or midgame, and failure to design an O suited to the talent you have.

I don't want consistent dissapintment from a consistently predictable coach who consistently calls odd plays and makes bad descions, whilst consistently not scoring and turning the ball over and letting down the team and the fans, consistently.

Sometimes people who are really good at something or really knowledgeable on a subject are not very good at teaching what they know. I believe this is the case with Schotty. He is a nice guy. Really knows football. Has ideas of what he want the Offense to do. But is terrible at communicating and teaching his ideas and concepts. You almost have to be smarter than him (i.e. Pennington) to understand the offense. The less a QB has to think about the better off he is. Plus if a team's players do not believe in the system or play call it is doomed for failure. i.e. You don't ask a pitcher to throw a curveball when he has no confidence in it.

I think this is why coaches like him. But the fact is, his system is useless if he can not train the O to run it effectively. And he has failed miserably in this regard. It is time for the Jets and Schotty to move on.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Sometimes people who are really good at something or really knowledgeable on a subject are not very good at teaching what they know. I believe this is the case with Schotty. He is a nice guy. Really knows football. Has ideas of what he want the Offense to do. But is terrible at communicating and teaching his ideas and concepts. You almost have to be smarter than him (i.e. Pennington) to understand the offense. The less a QB has to think about the better off he is. Plus if a team's players do not believe in the system or play call it is doomed for failure. i.e. You don't ask a pitcher to throw a curveball when he has no confidence in it.

I think this is why coaches like him. But the fact is, his system is useless if he can not train the O to run it effectively. And he has failed miserably in this regard. It is time for the Jets and Schotty to move on.

I agree. I have said this many times. Schotty is actually a very smart person. On paper, his offense is genius. On grass it is not practical and futile. Owners, GMs and other coaches must like him bc he probably interviews really well. He can win a room with what he can draw on a blackboard.

Schotty's offense is like communism. Good in theory, bad in real life.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post

I agree. I have said this many times. Schotty is actually a very smart person. On paper, his offense is genius. On grass it is not practical and futile. Owners, GMs and other coaches must like him bc he probably interviews really well. He can win a room with what he can draw on a blackboard.

Schotty's offense is like communism. Good in theory, bad in real life.
    Funny thing is Theismann & Wilcots on NFL Network AFC Playbook were just saying the same thing about Sanchez...Put him up on a chalkboard and he can tell you were to go with the ball.

"Two wrongs don't make a right"

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Funny thing is Theismann & Wilcots on NFL Network AFC Playbook were just saying the same thing about Sanchez...Put him up on a chalkboard and he can tell you were to go with the ball.

"Two wrongs don't make a right"
    LOL. Schotty must be rubbing off on Sanchez then. Maybe he really is beyond repair.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadaSteve View Post
    You lost me at this:

Sacrificing Brian isnít the right play
    its the only thing! do it!