Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rex: Only way we let Schotty go is if he gets an HC job

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Doesn't mean Schotty can't resign (with a nice little buyout package provided by Woody).

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on strike. Glad to save a little money.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4299395]Doesn't mean Schotty can't resign (with a nice little buyout package provided by Woody).[/QUOTE]

This is acutally a possibility TBH

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4299351][B]Rex Ryan placed the chances of Brian Schottenheimer returning to the Jets next season at "50-50." [/B]

The main reason Schottenheimer would not see the remainder of his contract through in New York (he is signed until 2013), Ryan said, is because he thinks there's a good chance Schottenheimer will be offered a head coaching position this offseason.

Schottenheimer has most recently been linked to a job with the Miami Dolphins, who the Jets play this Sunday.

"I'll say that, but obviously if he gets a head coaching job then 'see you later,'" Ryan said. "And I'd be happy to see that. So, do I expect him back?

It's probably 50-50 on that, because I think there's an opportunity for Brian to get a head coaching job this year.

"I thought that the first two years but it wasn't to be. He certainly would be a qualified applicant as a head coach, that's for sure."

What if Schottenheimer is not offered a head coaching job?

"Then I expect him back," Ryan said.

Yesterday, the offensive coordinator said he didn't think he needed a strong performance from Sanchez and Co. in Miami to secure his job. [URL="http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/12/jets_brian_schottenheimer_keep.html"]He said that he's faced similar speculation before[/URL] and is not concerned about reports that link him to other head coaching jobs and ones that say he would be let go with the Jets.

“I am not worried about that at all," he said. "I want to play well, we need to play well, because there is certainly a chance for us to still make the playoffs. … But again, I don’t worry about that.”

Ultimately, Schottenheimer said he takes the responsibility of the league's 27th-ranked offense that has averaged 307.7 yards per game.

“If you are going to talk about inconsistencies, I have to own that responsibility,” Schottenheimer said. “It’s our unit’s job, our staff’s job.”

[URL]http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2011/12/rex_ryan_says_theres_a_50-50_c.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed[/URL][/QUOTE]

[B]Read: Shotty has a college HC job lined up and it will be announced as soon as the season is over.

Rejoice Jets fans! Happy New Year![/B]

:theband:

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Jetspennyfan;4299308]:eek:

@NYPost_Hubbuch: Unleash the hounds: Rex says he expects Schottenheimer back unless BS gets a head-coaching job. #NYJ[/QUOTE]

Thank the lord!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of course Rex would say this before the season is over and the team has a legit shot at the playoffs...

It's a wonder that some of you can manage yourselves in every day life.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    1) What else is Rex supposed to say? If we lose, he's finished? He's gone no matter what?

2) Even if Rex felt that way, it's not going to be his call, guaranteed.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SMC;4299373]...

The big problem is that Schitty and Tannenbaum are close. I don't know what it is, but according to reports, Tanny was the one who pushed to have Schitty stay on when Rex was hired.[/QUOTE]
    This relationship is what worries me the most, personally.

I think in some ways, it's sort of unfair to blame Rex for Schotty being around, and it continuing.

Rex wanted Hue Jackson as OC when he came here, not Schotty. Schotty isn't his guy. At all.

Likewise, Adam Schein, and a couple of others have pretty clearly hinted, said, or will confirm through DM on Twitter that Rex and Schotty? Don't see eye-to-eye... and aren't all that close in ways people would try to paint.

Allegedly, Schotty also has issues with Callahan, again, confirmed through some of the national media sources and others, if you strike up a conversation with them through Twitter, and begin to DM with them. As they don't want their names attached to certain disclosures publicly, thus won't tweet it outright. Allegedly, and apologies if this is incorrect, but per a notable NFLN guy... Schotty is part of the reason that Callahan hasn't extended. As he wants to see where the pieces fall with that, have maximum leverage, weigh options, and see if he wants to stay on, and what kind of capacity he'd be staying on in-- and if the offensive staff would be staying as is, etc.

Rex isn't who is keeping Schotty around, but until IF AND WHEN, Schotty is no longer the OC, Rex has to toe the party line and continue to throw his support behind him.

One) Because they WANT Schotty to get a job elsewhere. For multiple reasons. So disparaging and undermining doesn't aide in that cause, does it?

If he gets hired elsewhere:

A. They're no longer on the hook for his contract. B. The people with close personal ties to him and his father don't have to "fire" him. C. Everyone's happy.

Two) Schotty has lost/is losing some of the players. Multiple. Something the team tries to say isn't the case, repeatedly. Just imagine what happens, if Rex were to publicly acknowledge a crack in things where Schotty's concerned, further fueling an issue where Schotty's trying to hold on to the support of all the players.

Three) They've still got an important game to play. Schotty is still the OC. Rex can't say anything that might show a lack of confidence in Schotty. If the Jets make the playoffs, it's not just one more week of working/dealing with him... If the front office decides to go separate ways.

I don't know, I just don't think the Schotty issue is as small or as simple as might be assumed, and I don't think Rex has as much control in the situation as might be assumed. I think he's just trying to remain even keel, and status quo, for now, and, true to form, stay supportive publicly.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Magnus;4299318]I TOLD YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rex doesn't have the guts to look him in the eye and fire him. What dont you get? Our coach is a p*ssy who wants to be friends with everybody. What a weak person.[/QUOTE]

How can anyone be this naive? No way any HC would say anything else other than what Rex said publicly. THat's Rex giving everyone the PC answer while Schotty is still here ands a viable candidate for other HC positions. Means nothing. Do you honestly expect Rex to sayanything else? There is no way he would say something negative and torpedo Schotty's chances at a HC gig elsewhere. Come on dude... smarten up them posts of yours. They are really quite stupid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=KRL;4299347]Some of you guys are so gullible!!! What did Rex say last year about:

Gholston
    Taylor
    Jenkins

He noted all their good points and said he wanted everyone back on the
    team. Then as soon as it was smart for the cap all of them were let go[/QUOTE]

thank you. At least someone around here uses his brains.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lovethejets;4299417]This relationship is what worries me the most, personally.

I think in some ways, it's sort of unfair to blame Rex for Schotty being around, and it continuing.

Rex wanted Hue Jackson as OC when he came here, not Schotty. Schotty isn't his guy. At all.

Likewise, Adam Schein, and a couple of others have pretty clearly hinted, said, or will confirm through DM on Twitter that Rex and Schotty? Don't see eye-to-eye... and aren't all that close in ways people would try to paint.

Allegedly, Schotty also has issues with Callahan, again, confirmed through some of the national media sources and others, if you strike up a conversation with them through Twitter, and begin to DM with them. As they don't want their names attached to certain disclosures publicly, thus won't tweet it outright. Allegedly, and apologies if this is incorrect, but per a notable NFLN guy... Schotty is part of the reason that Callahan hasn't extended. As he wants to see where the pieces fall with that, have maximum leverage, weigh options, and see if he wants to stay on, and what kind of capacity he'd be staying on in-- and if the offensive staff would be staying as is, etc.

Rex isn't who is keeping Schotty around, but until IF AND WHEN, Schotty is no longer the OC, Rex has to toe the party line and continue to throw his support behind him.

One) Because they WANT Schotty to get a job elsewhere. For multiple reasons. So disparaging and undermining doesn't aide in that cause, does it?

A. They're no longer on the hook for his contract. B. The people with close personal ties to him and his father don't have to "fire" him. C. Everyone's happy.

Two) Schotty has lost/is losing some of the players. Multiple. Something the team tries to say isn't the case, repeatedly. Just imagine what happens, if Rex were to publicly acknowledge a crack in things where Schotty's concerned, further fueling an issue where Schotty's trying to hold on to the support of all the players.

Three) They've still got an important game to play. Schotty is still the OC. Rex can't say anything that might show a lack of confidence in Schotty. If the Jets make the playoffs, it's not just one more week of working/dealing with him... If the front office decides to go separate ways.

I don't know, I just don't think the Schotty issue is as small or as simple as might be assumed, and I don't think Rex has as much control in the situation as might be assumed. I think he's just trying to remain even keel, and status quo, for now, and, true to form, stay supportive publicly.[/QUOTE]

Not disputing your post...

But Rex, who was coming off his 2nd straight trip to the AFCCG, couldn't go to Tanny/Woody and say, "No, I don't think Schotty deserves a contract extension" or "Is it possible now that I can bring in my own OC"?

As for Callahan not extending...The Titans wanted to interview him for their OC position last year but the Jets denied him...Just like they denied Oak from interviewing DThurman for DC...I'm guessing they did this knowing the lockout was coming and wanted to keep all the coaching/systems in place for this season.

So why wouldn't Callahan at least keep his options open this offseason..

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=lovethejets;4299417]This relationship is what worries me the most, personally.

I don't know, I just don't think the Schotty issue is as small or as simple as might be assumed, and I don't think Rex has as much control in the situation as might be assumed. I think he's just trying to remain even keel, and status quo, for now, and, true to form, stay supportive publicly.[/QUOTE]

This all sounds very reasonable.

A question that I've had from day one is how in the world you could hire a head coach and not let him pick the guys that are going to be on his staff? That part never made sense to me.

It's like Schotty is the Offensive Coordinator and Rex is the Defensive Coordinator and Official Team Spokesman. We don't really have a head coach.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like

......[/QUOTE]

Your piece was pretty spot on. Schotty has been hanging on for dear life for a few years. At some point, Rex has to say it is either Schotty getting the boot or I am leaving.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hate to say it, Rex needs to go. If Rex does not see the writing on the wall and the incompitance of his OC than he is worthless to. We all can't be wrong about Schotty, too many people are saying the same thing.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't you guys learned not to believe a word Rex says during the season yet?

Everything that comes out of his mouth is designed to positively impact that week's game, and that's it.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4299438]This all sounds very reasonable.

A question that I've had from day one is how in the world you could hire a head coach and not let him pick the guys that are going to be on his staff? That part never made sense to me.

It's like Schotty is the Offensive Coordinator and Rex is the Defensive Coordinator and Official Team Spokesman. We don't really have a head coach.[/QUOTE]

Rex is ok although the the Jets Brass love affair with Schotty isn't helping him. He is at a crossroads though. This period will define him as a coach.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    he can be the head coach of my towns t-ball team

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well if this is true, and Schotty is back next year, I will cease to be a fan of the jets until he isn't our OC anymore.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=MrJames;4299323]The New York Jets fans everybody :clapper:[/QUOTE]

+1

It's time for some Jets fans to go.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=dvl7;4299460]Well if this is true, and Schotty is back next year, I will cease to be a fan of the jets until he isn't our OC anymore.[/QUOTE]
    Goodbye!