Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever think about a huge corner playing safety?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

Ever think about a huge corner playing safety?

It's a bit of a stretch but these kids aren't the same as they use to be.

A Corner who isn't afraid to tackle seems to be the new safety in the NFL.
    I know it used to be"The kids a linebacker but just doesn't have the size".
    (Eric Smith)
    but i believe depending on the system(and our syaytem) a kid that can only tackle isn't going to cut it
    This draft odv doesn't have that kind of talent.
    I see the corner out of LSU (Mathieu) or something like that, kids a ball hawk and a play maker. Wont be eligible till next year in the draft but hes a corner that can make that transition seamlessly.

I think it's time to start trying to find a kid who can cover and make some plays.

imagine a Darrelle Revis type of kid at safety
    wouldn't matter what position he played.
    still be a great safety.
    Thoughts?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Crow would make an excellent cover safety. Cro would make the worst tackling safety.

Revis is too valuable at corner to be converted. Maybe in his latter years like Rod Woodson.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am not saying to put Revis at safety, im saying the type of player he is he would make an exceptional safety

Cro on the other hand. his type would make an awful safety. not even imaginable lol.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dimitri_0515;4299537]Cro would make the worst tackling safety.

[/QUOTE]

cro would make kerry rhodes look like ronnie lott

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Facts and short comings

[QUOTE=CR8ZMIKE;4299529]It's a bit of a stretch but these kids aren't the same as they use to be.

(Eric Smith)
    but i believe depending on the system(and our syaytem) a kid that can only tackle isn't going to cut it
    I see the corner out of LSU (Mathieu) or something like that, kids a ball hawk and a play maker. Wont be eligible till next year in the draft but hes a corner that can make that transition seamlessly.

I think it's time to start trying to find a kid who can cover and make some plays.

still be a great safety.
    Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

There are many times that players have been asked to play "out of position"- in fact Cro may make a good safety, allowing others to play corner- but the "coaching" reasoning is "why make another position weaker ( so now you have two issues) ". Sam,e reasoning could be said for the oline where Slausson may be an improvement over Hunter opening up a position for a guard who has help from Mangold and D'Brick- but you won't see any of this (barring injuries) from an OC who has no creativity and a short season remaining:rolleyes:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CR8ZMIKE;4299529]It's a bit of a stretch but these kids aren't the same as they use to be.

(Eric Smith)
    [B]I see the corner out of LSU (Mathieu) or something like that, kids a ball hawk and a play maker.[/B] Wont be eligible till next year in the draft but hes a corner that can make that transition seamlessly.

still be a great safety.
    Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

haha, funny. Mathieu is 5-9, 175. Too small to play safety in the NFL, he's a corner.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JB1089;4299558]haha, funny. Mathieu is 5-9, 175. Too small to play safety in the NFL, he's a corner.[/QUOTE]

Not saying you're wrong, but isn't Jim Leonhard like 5'6''?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    you mean like dwight lowrey (sp?)?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It worked for Rolle

I see some team possibly trying Kirpatrick from AL at Safety if corner proves too much for him at the next level

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cro would be mind boggingly awful at safety , yet we definitely do need some improvement at safety this offseason/draft

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    It worked out pretty well for Malcolm Jenkins

I agree with the OP

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Every team in the league is going to have a problem with safeties b.c of the new freak TEs. Jets arent the only one. But the Jet might have the worst S in Eric Smith, so they are in the worst starting position. As usual, to make matters worse for the Jets the are forced to play the team with the best TEs in the league twice a year.

I dont think the answer is finding a S that can cover these TEs. I think the answer is scheme. I dont see any one person being able to cover Gronk. Not Revis, nobody. Sad thing is that this problem should be easier for the Jets than any other team b.c of Revis and Cro being able to man up, which allows other players to be allocated elswhere, but they still havent found a way to contain even a decent TE.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Of our current CB's, who could potentially make the transition? Wilson / Strickland / Cole?

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Claiborn is the biggest of the three LSU corners and would be the most likely to fit the bill as a big TE covering safety that still does his job tackling. At least I think that's his name.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't even bother bringing up Dwight Lowery. I saw him get scorched by Phillip Rivers and Matt Ryan

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    2 completely different positions

thats like saying move tomlinson to WR

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree we need safety help - but that isn't the top priority on D.
    I would say the pass rush - have for 4 years.
    Maybin is a nice player, but he hasn't sniffed the QB in 4-5 weeks.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=CR8ZMIKE;4299548]I am not saying to put Revis at safety, im saying the type of player he is he would make an exceptional safety

Cro on the other hand. his type would make an awful safety. not even imaginable lol.[/QUOTE]

Revis could probably play QB and even point guard in the NBA if he put his mind to it, he is that kind of talent. But we just have to live with him being the best CB in the NFL.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=JamesR;4299763]Of our current CB's, who could potentially make the transition? Wilson / Strickland / Cole?[/QUOTE]

McKnight?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=sect313;4299552]cro would make kerry rhodes look like ronnie lott[/QUOTE]

Speaking of Lott he started as a CB and switched to safety in his 6th year and played both FS and SS..:yes: