Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone thinks that Mike DeVito is replacable?!

[QUOTE=SizzleBear287;4300135]Get rid of Tevaseu and make Ellis a starter.[/QUOTE]

sounds good and i think ellis will be a very good player in this league...but before we dump a body to start ellis i think he needs to prove he can stay healthy.

of course devito is replaceable, but he's a nice player and is cheap. I don't get what the issue is, if it's a cap issue there's a list of players worth cutting over devito... unless god forbid there's some kind of injury problem

[QUOTE=Beerfish;4300107]Let's see:

1 new safety
    1 new olb
    cumberland returning healthy
    1 new WR (maybe bring back plax at cheaper deal)
    1 new OT
    1 new punter
    1 new OC

Then comes any worry about upgrading Devito or DE in general.[/QUOTE]

fixed-- good ideas but realistically that's a very long laundry list

Our interior run defense, anchored by Pouha and Devito, remains elite.

All of our run defense problems have come on the edge. That falls on the the linebackers, especially the outside linebackers.

Banned
    [QUOTE=carlito1171;4299715]NO.

we have a good DL Rotation right now[/QUOTE]

Agreed. The D-Line is going to be the strength of the defense in the near future. They're big, young and raw, but gaining valuable experience this season.

Interior D-lineman don't usually rack up sacks, they stop the run. DeVito is regarded as one of the best 3-4 DT/DEs in the league and is a bargain. You get pressure from OLBs so that is a much bigger need for us. I would look to add 2 Safeties and an athletic ILB before replacing DeVito.

[QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4299854]Marcus Dixon comes in on passing downs and provides a better pass rush, I think Dixon has had a good year for us and showed that hes a player.

Rex said he likes 2 NT types on the field, Mike Devito is basically a NT. Devito is not a issue for this team, he is good at what hes meant for. What we need is to get better at OLB, we need a legit pass rusher.

I really wish we could have gotten Aldon Smith, 14 sacks as a rookie.

If we can get a OLB that can pressure the QB, a quality safety that can cover, and maybe a replacement for Bart Scott who has been declining our defense could be elite. I would like to see Kenrick Ellis step up his game next year, I will give him a pass for this season since hes a rookie and played at a small school, was a 3rd round pick. But its important that he develops into a starting NT, he has all the talent to do it he just needs to improve his technique and become consistent.[/QUOTE]

Bingo. This D is close to being epic. Add a Dafety or 2, an OLB and maybe an athletic ILB to replace Scott and we are looking at a beast.

[QUOTE=cant wait;4300207]fixed-- good ideas but realistically that's a very long laundry list[/QUOTE]

It is but that is what it should be.

We need two safeties, Leonard is coming off a bad injury and was showing signs he was totally past it this past year. Smith is the worst secondary player in the league. As for TE, Cumberland plays the same roll as Keller. We need someone to get Mulligan the hell off the team.

Plax should be gone, you can't have a guy who's whole game is only good from the 20 yard line in. If I had my way I'd toss Holmes out as well, he played like garbage this year for a guy getting #1 cash not to mention he's a malcontent dolt. I know he won't go anywhere but I would shed no tears if he was jettisoned.

I love it how when we can't stop the run the OLB are to blame because that isn't the DL job in our D. Oh and the blitz is not their fault because they don't do that either. What do you think our DL does? Play cards out there. The DL creates holes and occupies the OL to allow S's and OLBs to come forward. All of our best sacks have come off of 4-3 formations. That actually says a lot about our DL. Run stopping starts up front. The ILBs are supposed to pick up the RB true but it all starts with the front line recognizing the run 1st.

Stop this with Devito being one of the best in the league BS. He had one OK year. No way in heck is he one of the best in the league. He is a good vet BU that is it. Let the younger guys with more potential that looked good play. Coleman the guy who started over Devito is making about half what he is. So also stop calling him cheap. NO HE IS NOT!! 2.8 mil is not cheap. If we have a chance to sign a S or OLB but need the money yes he is expendable. If we can get a 4th rounder for him right now I'd say take it and run.

Where was all this "replace DeVito" sentiment before the season went in the toilet?

[QUOTE=k.Rhodes25;4299854]Marcus Dixon comes in on passing downs and provides a better pass rush, I think Dixon has had a good year for us and showed that hes a player.

Rex said he likes 2 NT types on the field, Mike Devito is basically a NT. Devito is not a issue for this team, he is good at what hes meant for. What we need is to get better at OLB, we need a legit pass rusher.

I really wish we could have gotten Aldon Smith, 14 sacks as a rookie.

If we can get a OLB that can pressure the QB, a quality safety that can cover, and maybe a replacement for Bart Scott who has been declining our defense could be elite. I would like to see Kenrick Ellis step up his game next year, I will give him a pass for this season since hes a rookie and played at a small school, was a 3rd round pick. But its important that he develops into a starting NT, he has all the talent to do it he just needs to improve his technique and become consistent.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree. Why would we dismantle a strength on our team that took ages to build up? The priorities lie elsewhere starting with a consistent threat OLB and a safety who isn't a glaring weakness in coverage

Problem with Devito et al is that they can't bring pressure up the middle. I'm not talking sacks here--I'm talking containment so the LB's can get a better shot at the QB.

[URL="https://twitter.com/#%21/TheJetsStream"]TheJetsStream[/URL] Manish Mehta
    Jets rookie defensive tackle Kenrick Ellis is expected to be active for only the fifth time this season today vs. the Dolphins.

[QUOTE=rextilleon;4300563]Problem with Devito et al is that they can't bring pressure up the middle. I'm not talking sacks here--I'm talking containment so the LB's can get a better shot at the QB.[/QUOTE]

This is true, however our LBs don't help in that regard.

Another DE wouldn't hurt, but I'm all for drafting a LB or a safety.

Or an offensive tackle.

Or a WR with some speed.

Or.....