Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NFL Network's Michael Lombardi on Sanchez/Jets

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4299811]LOL....yeah, but you know more about football than Lombardi :rolleyes:

What? You are afraid of his assessments that Sanchez can't read defenses and needs things simple? Gasp! It can't be the player...Gasp!

[B]Michael Lombardi[/B]
    [B]Football[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

Did I say I knew more about football than him? Not sure I said that. While you are quoting, please pull me up the quote where I said I knew more about football than him.

I am not afraid of his assessments. I think Sanchez stinks. I think he has problems that he will never overcome. I think there are things that no coach in the league can teach him.

What I was criticizing was his opinion of Callahan. And IMHO I think he is overrating Callahan. That is all.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4299817]I agree. But I was strictly talking about how the personnel decisions have affected the running game. And the lack of running game is what have affected the passing game the most. Brad Smith does play a role b.c of the wildcat but I was talking about their base personnel.

Cant kill Tanny or Jets too much over Brad b.c Buffalo paid him way too much money.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. And if we are talking along those lines, better throw Richardson > Conner into that discussion as well. Can't blame Tanny or Rex for that decision either. TRich was one of the best ever at what he did. He was also content to retire from the game. Couldn't possibly think we'd get as much out of Conner, at least not yet.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had read that article earlier this morning. It's a pretty fair assessment and I found it interesting that it painted Plax as pretty much a waste of space outside the red zone who allows teams to roll coverage to Holmes. The fact that Greene is only good for the role he had in the previous two years I think has been obvious to all of us. This is no time to fool around looking for a bell cow. Peyton Hillis will be available and the Jets should make a run at him.

I also noticed that Stevie Johnson is an UFA. The Jets should consider him as someone that would provide an excellent 1 2 punch at WR with Holmes. He is young, just entering his prime, and provides a deep threat.

Sign these two, solve the RT problem, and replace Shotty with a competent OC and the Jets should be good to go on O in 2013.

The Jets could then concentrate on using the draft to solve problems on D and add much needed depth.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4299819]Did I say I knew more about football than him? Not sure I said that. While you are quoting, please pull me up the quote where I said I knew more about football than him.

I am not afraid of his assessments. I think Sanchez stinks. I think he has problems that he will never overcome. I think there are things that no coach in the league can teach him.

What I was criticizing was his opinion of Callahan. And IMHO I think he is overrating Callahan. That is all.[/QUOTE]

fair enough...My bad!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4299819] And IMHO I think he is overrating Callahan. That is all.[/QUOTE]

I agree. For the first two years the oline was filled with 1st round picks and Moore. And the incompetance and lack of progress of back ups evident this year may not be completely his fault but if he was as good as his fans claim, the back-ups would be competent and a kid as big, strong, and quick as Vlad would be starting at RT.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4299828]fair enough...My bad![/QUOTE]

Sorry if I was a little overzealous in my defense of myself. I
    Last edited by DDNYjets; 12-31-2011 at 11:11 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=DDNYjets;4299838]Sorry if I was a little overzealous in my defense of myself.[/QUOTE]

Not at all...Like I said, my bad if I came over too strong. Thanks though...It seems we both have the same concerns.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4299840]Not at all...Like I said, my bad if I came over too strong. Thanks though...It seems we both have the same concerns.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. We do. LOL

Its just when people us the ":rolleyes:" It gets me really pissed. Not b.c they disagree, just because that particular smiley looks so gay. LOL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets need to get back to the formula that has been successful for Ryan; hitting people in the mouth on both sides of the ball with a power running game and an aggressive defense.

To do that the Jets need to do the following:

1. say good bye to shotty. He is not the entire problem but they need to get back to ground and pound. I would like Callahan although Lombardi did the Jets no favors with his over-the-top assessment of his coaching ability.

2. Sign or draft talented RBs. Michael Bush is one suggestion but the Jets need to realize that Shonn Greene is not a bell cow RB. The Jets need a difference maker at this position if they are to play the type of game Rex wants to get back to.

3. Sign a solid RT and plant Hunter on the bench. Enough said.

4. Sign or draft a Safety. If the Jets want to sign Leonard to a cap friendly deal, go for it. But the Jets need to get serious about improving the athleticism of the safeties.

5. say good bye to Burress and sign a WR then has the speed to stretch the defense. We do not need to overspend on an all-star because the emphasis of the offense will go back on the running game but the Jets need to make defenses pay for rolling coverage towards Holmes.

All of those things can be accomplished during this off season. The trickier question is what to do with Sanchez. For me Sanchez has already proven that you can win big games as long as you surround him with the proper pieces. So stick with him through next season and ride it out. If there is no improvement in his recognition of coverages and ability to look off the safeties then the jets would need to cut ties before doubling down on his next contract.
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 12-31-2011 at 11:31 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4299850]The Jets need to get back to the formula that has been successful for Ryan; hitting people in the mouth on both sides of the ball with a power running game and an aggressive defense.

1. say good bye to shotty. He is not the entire problem but they need to get back to ground and pound. I would like Callahan although Lombardi did the Jets no favors with his over-the-top assessment of his coaching ability.

2. Sign or draft talented RBs. Michael Bush is one suggestion but the Jets need to realize that Shonn Greene is not a bell cow RB. The Jets need a difference maker at this position if they are to play the type of game Rex wants to get back to.

4. Sign or draft a Safety. If the Jets want to sign Leonard to a cap friendly deal, go for it. But the Jets need to get serious about improving the athleticism of the safeties.

5. say good bye to Burress and sign a WR then has the speed to stretch the defense. We do not need to overspend on an all-star because the emphasis of the offense will go back on the running game but the Jets need to make defenses pay for rolling coverage towards Holmes.

All of those things can be accomplished during this off season. The trickier question is what to do with Sanchez. For me Sanchez has already proven that you can win big games as long as you surround him with the proper pieces. So stick with him through next season and ride it out. If there is no improvement in his recognition of coverages and ability to look off the safeties then the jets would need to cut ties before doubling down on his next contract.[/QUOTE]

1)I agree with everything you said.Schotty's not headed to Canton any time soon but he's not 100% at fault either. Sanchez must become more accurate.
    2)RB is as much a need position as OLB or Safety. Greene is ok but he's not the dominant RB everyone thought he could be. Greene also has hands of stone.
    3) Hunter must be replaced to give Sanchez a chance to become a quality QB.
    4) Leonard's my choice to bring back on a 1 yr deal. Also the Jets must bring in a quality player. Eric Smith is at best a ST candidate
    5)Tanny needs to draft a young hungry guy like Cruz or Kerley. Some young inexpensive guy who wants to be an NFL player. Plax has lost his legs and isn't the guy for this team.
    This team is 2 drafts away from becoming New England's (and Brady's) worst nightmare!

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Beerfish;4299780][B]"The Jets identified early on that they wanted to manage Sanchez, as they did not want his arm to carry the team."[/B]

Then they never should have traded up to 5th overall to draft a QB. If Rex and Tanny and the team wanted a game manager they should have went after any number of cheaper vet game managers. Game managers who you don't want to rely on their arm are not franchise QB's that you draft early. If the Jets truly do feel this way about Sanchez they have lost confidence in him and have changed expectations about him.[/QUOTE]

Once again, the question. Any alternative?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4299827]I had read that article earlier this morning. It's a pretty fair assessment and I found it interesting that it painted Plax as pretty much a waste of space outside the red zone who allows teams to roll coverage to Holmes. The fact that Greene is only good for the role he had in the previous two years I think has been obvious to all of us. This is no time to fool around looking for a bell cow. Peyton Hillis will be available and the Jets should make a run at him.

I also noticed that Stevie Johnson is an UFA. The Jets should consider him as someone that would provide an excellent 1 2 punch at WR with Holmes. He is young, just entering his prime, and provides a deep threat.

Sign these two, solve the RT problem, and replace Shotty with a competent OC and the Jets should be good to go on O in 2013.

The Jets could then concentrate on using the draft to solve problems on D and add much needed depth.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It is a very fair assessment. I'm happy that we can talk about this in a calm sensible manner.

I think it is a good sign that they didnt trade up for picks last year and used all of their picks. It shows a definite attempt to try and collect depth.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

DROP IN TALENT LEVEL DUE TO REX AND TANNY ?

[QUOTE=DDNYjets;4299782]I hope you are right. But I don't think it is that simple. I think Woody > Hunter. T Rich > Conner. Braylon > Plax. Hartsock > Mulligan. Jones > Greene. The personnel has changed all for the worse with regards to the run game. And like it or not the Jets are a running team. Sanchez NEEDS a running game. He is likely never going to be a QB that can carry a team on his own.

Major blunders and strategical errors by FO, coaching and scouts.[/QUOTE]

-Amazing- I said almost the same thing about 3 months ago in a post. I would add that REX may not be such a good judge of talent as witnessed by the above plus the sad fact that decent players like Drew Coleman and D. Lowrey were allowed to leave and slow Eric Smith was named as starting Safety. Kerry Rhodes was blasted for not being a great tackler- but what about Cromartie ? can he tackle and run support ?? Rex has his favorites and that has hurt the team also.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    people complain about Plexico Burress's speed, but he was never fast. HE was always this slow. This is his game and it always has been

follow up question let's say the Jets get a speed receiver to take the top off the D, does Mark have the mid to deep accuracy required to get this player the ball?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4299934]people complain about Plexico Burress's speed, but he was never fast. HE was always this slow. This is his game and it always has been

follow up question let's say the Jets get a speed receiver to take the top off the D,[B] does Mark have the mid to deep accuracy required to get this player the ball?[/B]
    [/QUOTE]

Yup. 2009 and 2010 mid to deep throws to Braylon say hi.

_

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4299827]I had read that article earlier this morning. It's a pretty fair assessment and I found it interesting that it painted Plax as pretty much a waste of space outside the red zone who allows teams to roll coverage to Holmes. The fact that Greene is only good for the role he had in the previous two years I think has been obvious to all of us. This is no time to fool around looking for a bell cow. Peyton Hillis will be available and the Jets should make a run at him.

The Jets could then concentrate on using the draft to solve problems on D and add much needed depth.[/QUOTE]

The same Stevie Johnson who drops TD Passes? That Stevie Johnson? :rolleyes:

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4299850]The Jets need to get back to the formula that has been successful for Ryan; hitting people in the mouth on both sides of the ball with a power running game and an aggressive defense.

All of those things can be accomplished during this off season. The trickier question is what to do with Sanchez. For me Sanchez has already proven that you can win big games as long as you surround him with the proper pieces. So stick with him through next season and ride it out. If there is no improvement in his recognition of coverages and ability to look off the safeties then the jets would need to cut ties before doubling down on his next contract.[/QUOTE]

:clapper:

me likey

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4299850]

[/QUOTE]

Jets had that last season and if Tanny is smart, he'd make sure the JETS have *him* again this season under a longer contract.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Eckesg1;4299898]Once again, the question. Any alternative?[/QUOTE]

Keep asking, maybe someday there will be an answer!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4299934]people complain about Plexico Burress's speed, but he was never fast. HE was always this slow. This is his game and it always has been

follow up question let's say the Jets get a speed receiver to take the top off the D, [b]does Mark have the mid to deep accuracy required to get this player the ball?[/b][/QUOTE]

Go back and watch the many games you obviously paid no attention to.