View Poll Results: should santonio holmes be cut?

Voters
149. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes -hes a cancer that needs to be removed

71 47.65%
  • no-with a new o.c. and better offense he will be happy and produce

78 52.35%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SHOULD HOLMES BE CUT?

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=rextilleon;4305164]The reason you cut Holmes is to show the team that Rex the Liar is in charge and that that kind of behavior will not be tolerated.[/QUOTE]
    Holmes losses his big C, that's it, you don't release your best offensive player.

Bewildered Beast
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=freestater;4305050]lol. So much swagger, he's twitching before the snaps. :D[/QUOTE]

LMAO LOL ROR GFY

Thank you for waking my entire family. :D

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4305148]cut Holmes?

lol, so we can watch Brady throw him TD's next season?

c'mon fellas[/QUOTE]

+1

There's always that danger when you cut somebody with talent (Danny Woodhead).

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4305036]How much is the cap hit? If its doable then he needs to be sent packing. Other teams have proven that you can win without having a supposed great player at the WR position.[/QUOTE]

I read $8M cap hit and $20M in guaranteed money.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    I voted no earlier, might be changing my mind though. What if there's animosity next season between him and the rest of the team? That could tear the team apart, a lot sooner than it did this season. It's a huge risk to bring Santonio back.

We could sign Robert Meachem from New Orleans, draft Michael Floyd, and Kerley's starting to develop into a solid slot receiver. That trio and Keller could work.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I started a thread a few weeks ago about cutting Holmes, but my desire to cut him was based on the mistaken belief that it would result in dead money of less than $5 million. Since the hit is more than $8 million, it would be unwise to cut him. But Rex needs to send a message. Holmes must be told that he is entering camp as the # 4 WR and has to earn his starting spot back. Also, the Jets should quitely shop Holmes. While it is unlikely anyone would want him but it doesn't hurt to ask and guys like pete carroll always think they can "reform" malcontents.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I voted yes originally, envisioning the parallel to the 2007 Giants after losing their best offensive player and lockerroom cancer in Tiki Barber.

Thinking it over, I think Holmes shouldn't be cut if he apologizes to the team and vows to them to do better.

Yeah, that's being delusional because I seriously doubt he does that, but he should at least be expected to do that.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Buzzsaw;4307883]I voted no earlier, might be changing my mind though. What if there's animosity next season between him and the rest of the team? That could tear the team apart, a lot sooner than it did this season. It's a huge risk to bring Santonio back.

We could sign Robert Meachem from New Orleans, draft Michael Floyd, and Kerley's starting to develop into a solid slot receiver. That trio and Keller could work.[/QUOTE]

+1 wr are a dime a dozen in this pass happy league..to me hes ovverated 1 -1,000 yd season...?? and were hailing him as a top tier wr?? cmon in this age of passing..jets have to really decide if its worth keeping this guy around ??

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SONNY WERBLIN;4308065]I started a thread a few weeks ago about cutting Holmes, but my desire to cut him was based on the mistaken belief that it would result in dead money of less than $5 million. Since the hit is more than $8 million, it would be unwise to cut him. But Rex needs to send a message. Holmes must be told that he is entering camp as the # 4 WR and has to earn his starting spot back. Also, the Jets should quitely shop Holmes. While it is unlikely anyone would want him but it doesn't hurt to ask and guys like pete carroll always think they can "reform" malcontents.[/QUOTE]

Check out my other thread Sonny. He can be traded and we save cap space :yes: send his me first butt outta here

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMo;4308072]Check out my other thread Sonny. He can be traded and we save cap space :yes: send his me first butt outta here[/QUOTE]

if thats true trade his sorry arse now!!

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4305177]Holmes losses his big C, that's it, you don't release your best offensive player.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

I have a migrane from reading the idiocy on this board today.

Everyone knew this guy's baggage before he came and seem shocked by this.

Did you really think we hoodwinked the Steelers into trading him to us for a 5th rounder?

Incredible.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=TheMo;4308072]Check out my other thread Sonny. He can be traded and we save cap space :yes: send his me first butt outta here[/QUOTE]

trading him would be great. But who would want him?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;4308102]Thank you.

I have a migrane from reading the idiocy on this board today.

Did you really think we hoodwinked the Steelers into trading him to us for a 5th rounder?

Incredible.[/QUOTE]

so it makes it right what he has become in this locker room? so basically let him ruin this team and any future team because the jets knew what they were getting?? i say no...they took a chance it failed time to admit the mistake and move on as best as possible..theres no reason in the word to think this guy will change..he was given th captaincy to try to give him some responsibility and maturity and he failed!!! dont understand your logic..??

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    [QUOTE=TheMo;4308072]Check out my other thread Sonny. He can be traded and we save cap space :yes: [/QUOTE]

This isn't true. Stop misleading posters.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah let's leave ourselves with Jeremy Kerley at no. 1 on the WR depth chart.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;4308102]Thank you.

I have a migrance from reading the idiocy on this board today.

Incredible.[/QUOTE]

Saying someone is the best playmaker on our offense isn't really saying too much. Also poor locker room chemistry is a big issue (see: TO, Marshall, Jackson, etc.). If we can save money by trading him I say do it. Our offense looked fine the couple games he was suspended last season (ravens game withstanding... but I think you'll agree with me that that game wouldn't have been much better even with holmes)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=doggin94it;4304648]You do realize that a trade has the same cap impact as a cut, right?[/QUOTE]

nope, you have to read Jason from NYJetsCap's breakdown on scenarios regarding Holmes :yes:

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=THE_SOOTHSAYER;4308112]This isn't true. Stop misleading posters.[/QUOTE]

There is an article from Jason (our resident cap expert) that I believe backs up my point. From his article:

[QUOTE]All the guarantees transfer with the contract when he is traded. They can make that move at any point during the year and just have that $5 million in dead cap money with no threat of future payments to him. A $5 million cap charge creates an additional $4.25 million in cap room for the Jets to play with in 2012, a pretty nice chunk of change.[/QUOTE]

I don't make stuff up... please research before calling me out.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    [QUOTE=ryan10;4308111]so it makes it right what he has become in this locker room? so basically let him ruin this team and any future team because the jets knew what they were getting?? i say no...they took a chance it failed time to admit the mistake and move on as best as possible..theres no reason in the word to think this guy will change..he was given th captaincy to try to give him some responsibility and maturity and he failed!!! dont understand your logic..??[/QUOTE]

I'm not condoning his behavior but before his hi-jinx in Philly he's been a model teammate for 2 years and has made tons of contributions to the team. He's singlehandedly won games for us.

New atmosphere and hopefully new coordinator next year and I think he'll be productive again.

Taking a hit like this after you just sign him to a monster contract makes no sense.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    [QUOTE=TheMo;4308120]There is an article from Jason (our resident cap expert) that I believe backs up my point. From his article:

I don't make stuff up... please research before calling me out.[/QUOTE]

You are not saving money by cutting him and there's no way you get value by trading him. No one will pick up his contract. Either way, big dead money and cap hit. You're scenarios are not accurate or realistic so stop posting nonsense.