Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: With the 16th Pick in the NFL Draft, The NYJ Select...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    We will not take a WR #1. Why would we need another miserable WR out there not getting passes thrown his way?

Bolster the Defense and play conservative Offense. That was the plan all along. The D is a few players away from being NASTY.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can we invest rnd. 1 money in another O lineman? Won't Turner be coming back next season?

I expect a third rnd right tackle and a free agent. They have a second rnd project in Ducasse, and I reckon they let Hunter go.

I expect a versatile pass rusher, i.e. Linebacker, in round one and receiver in round two. Perhaps a safety in round 4?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    How about Dwight Jones a little later. Maybe trade down and pick up an early 2nd which can be used to get Jones. Later 1st could be used to take Perry who I think is the best fit for what we need at OLB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    Nice position for Tanny to try to move up from.

It is going to be an offensive lineman.

WR aint happening. Jets are married to Holmes. He will be fine with a new offense. I still have a ton of faith in Holmes.
    Your nuts re holmes and yes we do need a WR in a terrible way.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    No way in the world should this team be trading up this year, no way no how. We have a lot of holes to fill, we can'ty afford to have another 4 draft pick year. At the very least we need to hang onto the picks we have and maybe even trade down.

We need 2 new safeties
    at least 1 if not 2 olbs
    at least one olineman
    at least one wr
    at least one TE
    a kicker and a punter.

As for drafting an o-lineman, we have to fix this via free agency for next year.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Your nuts re holmes and yes we do need a WR in a terrible way.
    i think we might go get a FA WR - Colston, Meachem, et al - and roll with what we've got.

Patrick Turner used like Plax - possession (and who sanchez has experience with going back to USC)
    Kerley in the slot
    And Meachem/Colston/VJax etc

Whether we flip Holmes for trash or keep him...who knows

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    i think we might go get a FA WR - Colston, Meachem, et al - and roll with what we've got.

Patrick Turner used like Plax - possession (and who sanchez has experience with going back to USC)
    Kerley in the slot

I dont want to go anywhere near Meachem. I think he is the definition of a system wide receiver and would be of very little value to us in my opinion. Colston has better measurables and consistent production but even he would be of less value to us and not put up anywhere near the numbers he does with New Orleans.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJETS3233 View Post
    I dont want to go anywhere near Meachem. I think he is the definition of a system wide receiver and would be of very little value to us in my opinion. Colston has better measurables and consistent production but even he would be of less value to us and not put up anywhere near the numbers he does with New Orleans.
    Disagree with Meachem. I feel like he would do better with us, as he'd be more of a feature receiver. In New Orleans, Drew Brees likes to spread the ball around, and there are too many options for everybody to get a fair amount of looks. Big Meach would thrive with NY.

And Colston is a legit #1 WR. Maybe he wouldn't put up the numbers he does in NO, but he would still be great for us.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post
    We will not take a WR #1. Why would we need another miserable WR out there not getting passes thrown his way?

Bolster the Defense and play conservative Offense. That was the plan all along. The D is a few players away from being NASTY.
    Yeah seriously, OLB. The offense has the talent to be good with a couple of new pieces (OL, WR and/or TE), but that can be handled through later picks and FA.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King P View Post
    Disagree with Meachem. I feel like he would do better with us, as he'd be more of a feature receiver. In New Orleans, Drew Brees likes to spread the ball around, and there are too many options for everybody to get a fair amount of looks. Big Meach would thrive with NY.

And Colston is a legit #1 WR. Maybe he wouldn't put up the numbers he does in NO, but he would still be great for us.
    Colston is a good player, in a great system, with a HOF QB, a history of injuries, and a degenerative knee condition. No thanks.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsfan95 View Post
    Per Manish we're #16. Who do you want us to take? Personally, I want Floyd or Jeffrey
    Honestly it just needs to be the best available player...No project type guys thats what the later rounds are for we need a WR speed guy...Safety...OL ... Linebacker all with speed and flexibility and be available to play right away. Olineman need to have long arms strong base and fundamentally sound we see ducasse The guy just doesnt get it yet...High Football IQs and no reching we need to hit big time on our picks this year

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Jeffery, Floyd, Upshaw, Ingram or Richardson in the first would be fine

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Upshaw or RT

We have been desperately searching for a stud OLB ever since Abe went to Atlanta. We have just not been able to obtain this guy. We have been able to find talent at all of these other positions that have been talked about in this thread except OLB. The Ghost was a colossal fail that still haunts us.

The payoff for this thoroughly disappointing season is that we may actually be in position to finally draft a big time OLB. We need to tighten up our run defense. I am tired of the Jets letting RBs run wild on them. Upshaw's strength is setting the edge and is experienced in playing OLB in a 3-4 defense. We need someone to help force the run game back inside where our strength is - see Harris, Pouha, and a developing Wilkerson.

The kid is "country" strong and an aggressive pass rusher. He is a skilled hand to hand combat pass rusher. If the OL does not get into his body Upshaw will beat them on the rush.

Having said all of that. I would love to draft a RT to keep Mark from getting killed. Hunter and Vlad are terrible. The problem is that the way the board is shaping up there is not going to be a true RT worthy of a mid-first round pick when we are on the clock. I would not use the 16th pick on an interior lineman; especially when we have such problems on the edges of our OL and defense.

Also, I would not move up in the draft. We have too many needs.

This may be the year to grab a difference maker at OLB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gastineau99 View Post

for better or worse i agree. jets won't take a wr #1 unless someone really falls to them.

i think this draft will be like tanny's first one, where he rebuilt the o-line and added skill players in the 4th round (let's ignore the clemens/schlegel picks). as long as rex is the coach, the identity of this team will be running the ball and stopping the run. that means they'll be looking at guys like upshaw and decastro.

i may be in the minority here, but i would love the jets to get both decastro and fleener. it would give sanchez another big, reliable target and help out in the short passing game.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Outside of taking a safety in round 1, That would be the worst mistake.
    The Jets desperately need to upgrade the safety position. Taking Mark Barron in the first round would not be a huge mistake.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Outside of taking a safety in round 1, That would be the worst mistake.
    brick and mangold transformed the offense into a top rushing team, before woody left, turner and moore got hurt and hunter/mulligan turned it into a joke.

i know it's not a sexy pick, but if the jets took a guy who could turn into logan mankins, that's a good thing no matter who the qb is and no matter what the offensive scheme is. for all we know, in 2 yrs the jets will have a new qb and a new scheme. and the guy could be a lefty for all we know. maybe they'll take kellen moore and schotty can have chad II.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why DeCastro? I get that he's going to be good, but the Jets don't need an interior lineman. They need a RT.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BIGKIDD325 View Post
    Why DeCastro? I get that he's going to be good, but the Jets don't need an interior lineman. They need a RT.
    why take a player you know isn't as good, just to say you've filled a need? would the jets pass on trent richardson if upshaw is there? after all, they need a pass rusher more than a rb.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    why take a player you know isn't as good, just to say you've filled a need? would the jets pass on trent richardson if upshaw is there? after all, they need a pass rusher more than a rb.
    Yeah, but they don't need a OG at all. You can make the argument that they need a RB. And there are going to be other players on the board who are going to be terrific players that fill needs. I'm all for BPA, but at 16, an OG shouldn't be that pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post

Kerley in the slot

It all depends on draft position but jets have to stop this sign free agent A for a few years, rinse and repeat and go out and draft some quality WR's If they intend to stick with Sanchez he needs a long term reliable if not beastly weapon. He really really missed Edwards this year. I'm not saying we reach for a WR but if the value is there at 16 I would for sure go for a big fast WR.