Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dream Offseason/ Draft

Dream Offseason/ Draft

Free Agents:

-Braylon Edwards, WR - Bring him back, Works great with Sanchez, gives our WR group some speed
    -Dwight Lowery, FS/SS/CB- Bring him back as well, will compete for Starting safety job and will provide great depth in the defensive backfield
    -Cliff Avril, OLB- Our big spash in FA.....Gives Rex Ryan a toy to play with that can get after the QB
    -Kareem McKenzie, RT- Solid Right Tackle to replace Wayne Hunter, shouldn't be too expensive
    -Robert Turner, C/G/T- Resign as depth
    -Sione Pouha, NT- Resign, starting NT
    -Jermichael Finley, TE- Now have 2 great tight ends.....Finley and Keller are good enough at blocking
    NFL Draft:

Trade back to around 23-25 to pick up an extra 2nd rounder....

1. Mohammed Sanu- WR, Rutgers- Big play WR to groom and contribute right away
    2. Donta'a Hightower- LB, Alabama- Injuries drop him back to mid 2nd, will compete for starting ILB job and will be great on 3rd downs in coverage
    2. Stephon Gilmore- CB/FS,South Carolina,- Shutdown Corner at SC, will project well to FS in our scheme as he is physical and a ballhawk
    3. LaMichael James- RB, Oregon- Big play threat that can take it to the house at any moment
    4. Antonio Allen- SS, South Carolina- All around playmaker and leader, will fill in for Eric Smith
    5. Alex Hurst- OT/OG, LSU- Big offensive lineman to provide depth and groom
    6. Travis Benjamin- WR, Miami- Deep threat
    7. Shaun Powell- P, Florida State- Finally, a great punter

Thoughts?
    Last edited by King Koopa; 01-06-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Free Agents:

-Braylon Edwards, WR - Bring him back, Works great with Sanchez, gives our WR group some speed
    -Dwight Lowery, FS/SS/CB- Bring him back as well, will compete for Starting safety job and will provide great depth in the defensive backfield
    -Cliff Avril, OLB- Our big spash in FA.....Gives Rex Ryan a toy to play with that can get after the QB
    -Kareem McKenzie, RT- Solid Right Tackle to replace Wayne Hunter, shouldn't be too expensive
    -Jacob Tamme, TE- Solid #2 TE to replace Mulligan

NFL Draft:

2. Donta'a Hightower- LB, Alabama- Injuries drop him back to mid 2nd, will compete for starting ILB job and will be great on 3rd downs in coverage
    2. Stephon Gilmore- CB/FS,South Carolina,- Shutdown Corner at SC, will project well to FS in our scheme as he is physical and a ballhawk
    3. LaMichael James- RB, Oregon- Big play threat that can take it to the house at any moment
    4. Antonio Allen- SS, South Carolina- All around playmaker and leader, will fill in for Eric Smith

Thoughts?
    FA is definitely underwhelming, I don't see the logic in bringing back an injured Braylon when there are SO many above-average to good receivers on the market. Colston, Meachem, anyone but Braylon again. Not sure about Lowery, I think they got rid of him for a reason. The other pickups are solid, and definitely realistic, but I have to take issue with Tamme. Purely a receiving tight end and we need a guy that can catch and block. I'm looking at you Joel Dreesen.

As for the draft, it's close to perfect. I'm not sure about taking Sanu at 16, but we need a big-time homegrown receiver. There also isn't a 3-4 OLB to speak of - I think I speak for everyone when I say that Pace-Thomas-Westerman-Maybin isn't going to cut it for another year.

Other than that, nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by CTJets69 View Post
    FA is definitely underwhelming, I don't see the logic in bringing back an injured Braylon when there are SO many above-average to good receivers on the market. Colston, Meachem, anyone but Braylon again. Not sure about Lowery, I think they got rid of him for a reason. The other pickups are solid, and definitely realistic, but I have to take issue with Tamme. Purely a receiving tight end and we need a guy that can catch and block. I'm looking at you Joel Dreesen.

As for the draft, it's close to perfect. I'm not sure about taking Sanu at 16, but we need a big-time homegrown receiver. There also isn't a 3-4 OLB to speak of - I think I speak for everyone when I say that Pace-Thomas-Westerman-Maybin isn't going to cut it for another year.

Other than that, nice work!
    A few things:

Bring Braylon back if his knee checks out.....if not, sign one of the WR you mentioned

Lowery played really well for the Jaguars and he knows our system....I think we miscalculated our safties, nothing against Lowery

Dressen would be fine....Tom Moore probably loves Tamme though

Sanu is in a trade back scenerio (Pick #23)

Cliff Avril in FA is our big time passrusher from the OLB position....He will be great under Rex

All League
    Don't want Mckenzie back he's too old. Don't want Tamme I want
    Cumberland (recovering from injury) as my #2 TE. Don't mind Edwards
    & Lowery coming back but they have to be on cap friendly deals

Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    Don't want Mckenzie back he's too old. Don't want Tamme I want
    Cumberland (recovering from injury) as my #2 TE. Don't mind Edwards
    & Lowery coming back but they have to be on cap friendly deals
    McKenzie will be like how Woody was for us, a solid stop-gap.....I don't want to waste a high round pick on a Right Tackle that isn't even guaranteed to be good.....Would rather go the solid vet route and draft a mid-late offensive lineman to groom like Alex Hurst in the 5th....We cannot afford to gamble on an offensive lineman IMO

I like Cumberland.....Tamme would replace Mulligan and both him and Cumby would play alot....Our other TE, Baker, is also in the mix

As much as I want Mulligan outta here, I don't know/think that Tamme is a blocking guy to replace him. Would love to draft a 3rd/4th round BIG tight end that can block and catch some short passes, allowing Keller to focus more on stretching the seam and whizzing past LBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    As much as I want Mulligan outta here, I don't know/think that Tamme is a blocking guy to replace him. Would love to draft a 3rd/4th round BIG tight end that can block and catch some short passes, allowing Keller to focus more on stretching the seam and whizzing past LBs.
    There are a lot of good tight ends in free agency this year.....I would not mind signing Jermichael Finley....would be awesome

But other than that, there are guys like John Carlson and Fred Davis that are very good tight ends

Would rather have LeMichael James and Fred Davis for example than spending a 3rd rounder on a rookie tight end

There are a lot of good tight ends in free agency this year.....I would not mind signing Jermichael Finley....would be awesome

But other than that, there are guys like John Carlson and Fred Davis that are very good tight ends

Would rather have LeMichael James and Fred Davis for example than spending a 3rd rounder on a rookie tight end
    The problem is all 3 TEs you mentioned are predominantly receiving ones. We already have that in Keller, even if he's not as good as Finley or Davis in that department.

What we need is the burly guy to complement Keller. First and foremost, he needs to be a quality blocker. As far as receiving, all he needs is solid mitts. I don't care if he's slow or can't make guys miss. I just want a guy who will catch a 7 yard bullet on 3rd and 6, even if he falls down right after.

A mature Chris Baker type would be a great. Or a poor man's Pettigrew. I want someone who is 6'4''+ and 250+.

Free Agents:

NFL Draft:

Thoughts?
    With the exception of Sanu this is a bad off season for us IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    With the exception of Sanu this is a bad off season for us IMO.
    How?

Great pass rusher in Cliff Avril (11 sacks, 6 forced fumbles on the year).....

Solid veteran Right Tackle...

Reload on offensive weapons....Jermichael Finley (Edit changed to Finley), Sanu, Braylon, LaMichael James, Benjamin to add to Holmes, Keller, Kerely, Greene, McKnight...

Lowery, Stephon Gilmore, Antonio Allen to add to our safeties and corners....

Donta'a Hightower is a damn good ILB in waiting and would be great for us in coverage

I don't get it
    Last edited by King Koopa; 01-06-2012 at 03:19 PM.

This is a great team to me....

QB-Sanchez/McElroy Battle
    HB-Greene, James, McKnight, Powell
    FB-Conner
    WR- Holmes, Braylon, Sanu, Kerley, Benjamin
    TE- Jermichael Finley, Keller, Cumberland

LT- D'Brick
    LG- Slauson
    C- Mangold
    RG- Moore
    RT- McKenzie
    Backups- Turner, Hurst, FA

DE-Wilkerson/ Pitoitua
    NT- Pouha/ K Ellis
    DE- M Dixon/ Devito

OLB-Pace/ Maybin
    ILB- Harris
    ILB- Scott/Donta'a Hightower
    OLB-Avril/ Thomas
    Backup-Mauga

CB-Revis
    FS-Gilmore/ Lowery
    SS-Leonhard/ Allen
    CB- Cromartie
    NB- Wilson
    Backup-Strickland

K-Folk
    P-Shaun Powell
    KR- McKnight
    PR- Gilmore/Kerley

This is a great team to me....

QB-Sanchez/McElroy Battle
    HB-Greene, James, McKnight, Powell
    FB-Conner
    WR- Holmes, Braylon, Sanu, Kerley, Benjamin
    TE- Jermichael Finley, Keller, Cumberland

LT- D'Brick
    LG- Slauson
    C- Mangold
    RG- Moore
    RT- McKenzie
    Backups- Turner, Hurst, FA

DE-Wilkerson/ Pitoitua
    NT- Pouha/ K Ellis
    DE- M Dixon/ Devito

OLB-Pace/ Maybin
    ILB- Harris
    ILB- Scott/Donta'a Hightower
    OLB-Avril/ Thomas
    Backup-Mauga

CB-Revis
    FS-Gilmore/ Lowery
    SS-Leonhard/ Allen
    CB- Cromartie
    NB- Wilson
    Backup-Strickland

K-Folk
    P-Shaun Powell
    KR- McKnight
    PR- Gilmore/Kerley
    From a cap perspective, I don't see how we could realistically sign Finley and Avril, who will both command huge money on top of some other mid-level ones like Pouha and McKenzie. As a matter of fact, Finley is contentiously trying to claim he's a WR if the Packers try to slap the franchise tag on him, much like when Suggs wanted to be declared a DE instead of LB. He's getting big money one way or the other.

Philosophically, I like where you are headed to fix our needs -- we are on the same page -- I just don't think the personnel you outlined will be attainable. Specifically, I like your youth movement at WR, getting a big guy and getting a speed guy.

The issues I have with this nightmare

We have speed we also have enough bad attitudes. Was happy as heck to see him go. Dont want to see us taking a step back. NO THANK YOU. My biggest nightmare actually.

I love Lowery but he was cut because Rex said he didn't fit his image of a DB. For his sake I actually wouldn't come back and go be a CB on a team that will use him. He was a lot better at CB. If Rex chose Smith over him I have to think that this just will not happen. There are some great S in this FA we should focus on getting at least one.

"big slash" You have to be joking right? Please tell me you where joking. Plays DE next to Suh so of course his #s are better then the actual player. Why do you think he would be a good OLB? Can he cover a TE or RB? If we go anther year without a Cover OLB I will puke. Anyone out side of Williams shouldn't be considered a Dream anyway. I look at Avril and I just this hey we can get Mathis cheaper. Dont let those sack #s fool you. All I want is a actually OLB not a transition player that may pay off years down the friggen road. I'd actually rather resign Thomas then take a gamble like that. We flat out do not have the money to play around with over rated pass rushers.

lol yeah no. Tamme has good hands but can't block either. I have been pushing Ganzo at TE. Guy can still do it all and will be pretty cheap because of age. As a #2 TE may be worth the extra coin. Fin would be way too expensive. We have Keller so we dont need 2 #1s.

NFL Draft:

ILB is not a real need unless we do something stupid like trade Harris. 2nd round is high. Zach Brown is the only ILB I think we should even consider in the 1st 3.

eh S is week in this draft. He may be out best option but that said I hope we answer the S issue in FA. Gilmore is not a big guy but yeah he plays like one. Teams will pass because he lacks a high up side.

Yeah lets waste anther high end pick on a RB. We already have 4 RBs I'll pass on drafting anther. Even if we cut Green I dont see us drafting anther RB. This is not the way to build in the draft.

Not sure if he is even in the draft but if he is will be much higher then 5th. He is listed as the top Jr T for 2013 so 5th is not likely. A little over weight but would be a nice 3rd rounder if he declares this year.

Late round pick I don't expect much. Anther WR pass all we need is 1 you over did it. We have a great P though so I don't see why we'd just draft one for laughs. As an FSU fan I hope Powell goes to a team that needs a P. Maybe a Kicker definitely not a punter.

We have speed we also have enough bad attitudes. Was happy as heck to see him go. Dont want to see us taking a step back. NO THANK YOU. My biggest nightmare actually.

I love Lowery but he was cut because Rex said he didn't fit his image of a DB. For his sake I actually wouldn't come back and go be a CB on a team that will use him. He was a lot better at CB. If Rex chose Smith over him I have to think that this just will not happen. There are some great S in this FA we should focus on getting at least one.

"big slash" You have to be joking right? Please tell me you where joking. Plays DE next to Suh so of course his #s are better then the actual player. Why do you think he would be a good OLB? Can he cover a TE or RB? If we go anther year without a Cover OLB I will puke. Anyone out side of Williams shouldn't be considered a Dream anyway. I look at Avril and I just this hey we can get Mathis cheaper. Dont let those sack #s fool you. All I want is a actually OLB not a transition player that may pay off years down the friggen road. I'd actually rather resign Thomas then take a gamble like that. We flat out do not have the money to play around with over rated pass rushers.

lol yeah no. Tamme has good hands but can't block either. I have been pushing Ganzo at TE. Guy can still do it all and will be pretty cheap because of age. As a #2 TE may be worth the extra coin. Fin would be way too expensive. We have Keller so we dont need 2 #1s.

NFL Draft:

ILB is not a real need unless we do something stupid like trade Harris. 2nd round is high. Zach Brown is the only ILB I think we should even consider in the 1st 3.

eh S is week in this draft. He may be out best option but that said I hope we answer the S issue in FA. Gilmore is not a big guy but yeah he plays like one. Teams will pass because he lacks a high up side.

Yeah lets waste anther high end pick on a RB. We already have 4 RBs I'll pass on drafting anther. Even if we cut Green I dont see us drafting anther RB. This is not the way to build in the draft.

Not sure if he is even in the draft but if he is will be much higher then 5th. He is listed as the top Jr T for 2013 so 5th is not likely. A little over weight but would be a nice 3rd rounder if he declares this year.

Late round pick I don't expect much. Anther WR pass all we need is 1 you over did it. We have a great P though so I don't see why we'd just draft one for laughs. As an FSU fan I hope Powell goes to a team that needs a P. Maybe a Kicker definitely not a punter.
    You have issues with everything here......I'm not going to argue every point with you but the main things that stick out:

-Bart Scott has one year left, there is nothing wrong with drafting a great ILB in the 2nd that will contribute immediately as a 3rd down MLB and transition to a starter next to Harris in 2013.....Hightower is more of a best available guy

-3-4 teams do not have OLBs that are good in coverage in general.....They are pass rushers.......I'm not a big fan of this olb class and went the cliff Avril route......I like him a lot and many others do as well......Mario Williams would be ideal but come on

-Lemichael James is a great pickup, and certainly not a waste......just because we have drafted rbs in the past does not mean we can't use higher end picks on them in the future......our offense lacks big playmakers, period. LeMichael James is one of the best home run threats in the draft who I think has a chance to possibly be great......worth the gamble to me

-Our punter is not "great", not even close.......pretty nitpicky here anyway

Our main issues are safety and I drafted 2......right tackle and I signed a solid vet and drafted a middle round one to groom.....and wr and I think I more than covered that

What players are you looking at in fa or the draft, jw.....btw I agree with you on tony g

Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    From a cap perspective, I don't see how we could realistically sign Finley and Avril, who will both command huge money on top of some other mid-level ones like Pouha and McKenzie. As a matter of fact, Finley is contentiously trying to claim he's a WR if the Packers try to slap the franchise tag on him, much like when Suggs wanted to be declared a DE instead of LB. He's getting big money one way or the other.

Philosophically, I like where you are headed to fix our needs -- we are on the same page -- I just don't think the personnel you outlined will be attainable. Specifically, I like your youth movement at WR, getting a big guy and getting a speed guy.
    The cap is a big challenge like you mentioned. How about we sign Avril and Dreesen (much, much cheaper than Finley and is a competent catcher and blocker). Our TE stock would be looking good with a returning Cumberland.
    Sign Braylon for cheap if his knee holds up/he passes the physical. We are in dire need of a big physical deep threat, and Edwards when fit is a threat all over the field.
    In the first round, prefer we sign Trent Richardson. If he's not available then drafting down for Sanu (hopefully he's there at our landing spot) would be ok with me.

My 1st priority would be picking up a QB that can compete with Sanchez and back him up. I know you said Dream but your asking for my realistic ideal off season.

FA
    QB Jason Campbell - Gets bashed but has actually put up average #s 4 years in a row now. If healthy I think would be our best option in the FA market. Will likely draw around 5 mil which is good BU money.

RB resign LT. The closest thing we have to a leader in the locker room. Can block and catch out of the back field. Hard to replace and comes cheap.

WR 1st round Sanu. I agree with you 100% here. Maybe the Rutgers fan in me but he is a great WR. Resign Plax hopefully cheaper if not we already have some good young talent holding up that end.

OL Resign Turner and add Khalif Barnes at RT. Guy was a bad LT but has done well at RT. McKenzie would be my next choice so I am right with you there.

TE Like I said Ganzo. I am all in on this one. At his age should be cheapish and will not mind part time. I think he fits us greatly and Keller could learn a lot for him.

DL Resign Pouha. Draft Crick in the 2nd him(if he is there would be my dream pick) and Wilk will anchor the team over the next decade.

LB Trade up and draft Bruce Irvin. Sign Joe Mays and if we dont get Williams tenure Westerman, resign Maybin, and sign John Abraham. There is no good long term answer at LB this year. No need to go crazy reaching for one.

DB Sign Michael Griffin. If anything that would be our big slash. Resign Pool Draft Kelcie McCray Dwight Bentley in late rounds.

K sign Neil Rackers - I have said it a few times this guy is pure gold.

Leave our punt who just had a great year alone. You can't get any more solid then what he did. Your listening to the wrong people if you think we need to draft anther P. The fact you even put that made my head spin.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 01-06-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Veteran

Thumbs down

Free Agents:

-Jermichael Finley, TE- Now have 2 great tight ends.....Finley and Keller are good enough at blocking
    NFL Draft:

Thoughts?
    Deeezam, Koopa, Alshon wasn't on your list, you did say
    Dream and I want him, Joe Adams, and Gragg. I know your watching the Cotton bowl, come on over to my thread and give me a prediction. WPS

I like the ideas behind this but I don't think it's realistic to sign Avril AND Finley, on top of McKenzie and the others from our own team.

I think this is a good offseason for us, we get a lot of talent and I like the way you traded down/drafted it just doesn't feel realistic to me.

Lowery is not coming back. I would go after Michael Griffin in FA. Braylon I doubt will be back. And Cliff Avril I don't think would fit this scheme, hes pretty much a wide 9 up the field DE, Rex wants a guy that can set the perimeter.

Rookie

NFL Draft:

My 1st priority would be picking up a QB that can compete with Sanchez and back him up. I know you said Dream but your asking for my realistic ideal off season.

FA
    QB Jason Campbell - Gets bashed but has actually put up average #s 4 years in a row now. If healthy I think would be our best option in the FA market. Will likely draw around 5 mil which is good BU money.

RB resign LT. The closest thing we have to a leader in the locker room. Can block and catch out of the back field. Hard to replace and comes cheap.

WR 1st round Sanu. I agree with you 100% here. Maybe the Rutgers fan in me but he is a great WR. Resign Plax hopefully cheaper if not we already have some good young talent holding up that end.

OL Resign Turner and add Khalif Barnes at RT. Guy was a bad LT but has done well at RT. McKenzie would be my next choice so I am right with you there.

TE Like I said Ganzo. I am all in on this one. At his age should be cheapish and will not mind part time. I think he fits us greatly and Keller could learn a lot for him.

DL Resign Pouha. Draft Crick in the 2nd him(if he is there would be my dream pick) and Wilk will anchor the team over the next decade.

LB Trade up and draft Bruce Irvin. Sign Joe Mays and if we dont get Williams tenure Westerman, resign Maybin, and sign John Abraham. There is no good long term answer at LB this year. No need to go crazy reaching for one.

DB Sign Michael Griffin. If anything that would be our big slash. Resign Pool Draft Kelcie McCray Dwight Bentley in late rounds.

K sign Neil Rackers - I have said it a few times this guy is pure gold.

Leave our punt who just had a great year alone. You can't get any more solid then what he did. Your listening to the wrong people if you think we need to draft anther P. The fact you even put that made my head spin.